Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,636 members, 7,820,231 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:53 AM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (316) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1835931 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (313) (314) (315) (316) (317) (318) (319) ... (905) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by iXavier: 2:58pm On Dec 01, 2015
emysocio:
Good day medics in the house...... Pls is it possible to cross from chemistry to mbbs in UI..... If yes pls how can I go about it...... Thanks in advance.

The faculty of science makes crossing so hard.
Courses like chemistry, zoology don't like releasing their students
Some will make you sign an undertaking during registration.

Presently, I've friends in chemistry with hopes of crossing which was dashed by the HOD beginning of this semester.
But then again every persons story differs.

If it is possible, it will be very very hard and you've to be extremely lucky.

XavierG
BDS, UI.
100 level

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by yaqmoon56: 5:13pm On Dec 01, 2015
please, is crossing from microbiology to medicine and surgery possible in nigerian universities?
if yes, wht are the stakes?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Catalyst4real: 5:33pm On Dec 01, 2015
Crossing is possible, and when I say possible, I don't mean it is easy.
Sometimes getting a high Gp won't even Guarantee with certainty a place for you in MBBS.
Crossing is very easy in private universities, not the same with public universities.
To avoid putting all your eggs in one basket, you guys should also register for jamb.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DRwiz(m): 5:43pm On Dec 01, 2015
if u wanna cross to mbbs in ui u must be in one of dis depts physiology, human nut,biochemistry

U.I
BDS
200 LEVEL
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dapsondou(m): 7:34pm On Dec 01, 2015
emysocio:
Good day medics in the house...... Pls is it possible to cross from chemistry to mbbs in UI..... If yes pls how can I go about it...... Thanks in advance.

Nah its not possible in UI
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dapsondou(m): 7:40pm On Dec 01, 2015
horpeyemmi66:

Thank you Sir... obviously, I have still got hope.
You're welcome bro. You do have a chance. Work towards it
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 8:18pm On Dec 01, 2015
horpeyemmi66:

Evening Sir, I believe you are a student of The University of Ibadan, department of Medicine. I just got admitted for Physiology, and I am looking at the prospects of switching to Medicine.

Unfortunately, I've been thrown off balance by UI. They admitted a total 146 students( 109 by merit and 37 via supplementary list).

Since UI has a quota of 180 but don't usually exceed 150 as I heard... What's the possibility of UI allowing crossing and admitting DE when we inevitably arrive at this bridge.

A space of 4 left is too meager to be shared between crossing students and DE students.

I earnestly await your candid reply as regards this.

Thanks.

Hello bro, there is no hindrance at all. Just try and make a CGPA above 6.0 and you will be fine.
And since you know it will be more competitive then you can attempt to make more than that.

smiley
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 8:20pm On Dec 01, 2015
emysocio:

Crossing from Chemistry used to be possible before. I have like two people in my class that crossed from Chemistry. But I think that has been stopped this year. It's not possible anymore.

Sorry.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 8:24pm On Dec 01, 2015
ikevin:
This is for those who use Ganong and Guyton. Ganong is respected likewise Guyton when it comes to physsiology. Yet, both textbooks had very different explanation regarding neural control of respiration. Ganong said it is basically Pacemaker cells in the Pre-Botzinger complex in the medulla while Guyton and other texts like Ezeilo said it is inspiratory and expiratory grp of neurons in the medulla and the pontile centres. It has always being somehow to me, this is because both books are standard. What is your opinion on this.

LOL. I hated Ganong even though it was the standard text for my school.
I used pocket Guyton and Sembuligan.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ikevin(m): 8:38pm On Dec 01, 2015
oluafolabi:

LOL. I hated Ganong even though it was the standard text for my school.
I used pocket Guyton and Sembuligan.
well, I use Ezeilo, Guyton and Ganong. I really hate Sembuligham.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dbrainiac1(m): 8:46pm On Dec 01, 2015
ikevin:
well, I use Ezeilo, Guyton and Ganong. I really hate Sembuligham.
I salute you. These books are so 'dense'. Esp Ganong
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by emysocio(f): 8:56pm On Dec 01, 2015
oluafolabi:

Crossing from Chemistry used to be possible before. I have like two people in my class that crossed from Chemistry. But I think that has been stopped this year. It's not possible anymore.

Sorry.
wow OK thanks alot...... Please wat abt from Chem to pharmacy?? Am so sorry for disturbing you guys o...... Thanks anyways
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ikevin(m): 9:13pm On Dec 01, 2015
Dbrainiac1:

I salute you. These books are so 'dense'. Esp Ganong
but really, Ganong is like a revision book. Not a book you pick up to start understanding, guyton explains then you use Ganong to revise. Sometimes, Guyton's story is just too much so I use Ezeilo altho the book is very "dense", I use it the revise with Ganong. Although I would be spying guyton all along..lol.. I wonder why a lot of people dread Ganong. The book is straight forward. Greetings
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by horpeyemmi66(m): 9:42pm On Dec 01, 2015
oluafolabi:

Hello bro, there is no hindrance at all. Just try and make a CGPA above 6.0 and you will be fine.
And since you know it will be more competitive then you can attempt to make more than that.

smiley
Thank you so much Sir, now I've got my confidence restored. I almost ran berserk.

Cc dapsondou, thanks once again.

This made my day...

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 10:19pm On Dec 01, 2015
emysocio:
wow OK thanks alot...... Please wat abt from Chem to pharmacy?? Am so sorry for disturbing you guys o...... Thanks anyways

Not so sure about Pharmacy. I will find out and get back to you. smiley
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 10:20pm On Dec 01, 2015
horpeyemmi66:

Thank you so much Sir, now I've got my confidence restored. I almost ran berserk.

Cc dapsondou, thanks once again.

This made my day...

You are welcome bro.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dbrainiac1(m): 10:36pm On Dec 01, 2015
ikevin:
but really, Ganong is like a revision book. Not a book you pick up to start understanding, guyton explains then you use Ganong to revise. Sometimes, Guyton's story is just too much so I use Ezeilo altho the book is very "dense", I use it the revise with Ganong. Although I would be spying guyton all along..lol.. I wonder why a lot of people dread Ganong. The book is straight forward. Greetings
Yeah, it's straight forward sha, but I don't even go near it. I'd just stick with Guyton, and Sembulingam
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Khan1993: 11:12pm On Dec 01, 2015
DRwiz:
if u wanna cross to mbbs in ui u must be in one of dis depts physiology, human nut,biochemistry

U.I
BDS
200 LEVEL
your contacts sir.
U.I
BDS
FRESHER
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by laryom1(m): 11:46pm On Dec 01, 2015
ikevin:
the enzyme is involved in the pentose phosphate pathway, results in the generation of NADPH a reducing equivalent. This is required by glutathione for the continuous removal of free oxygen radicals than destroys RBC membrane. The deficiency of G6PDH results in the continuous degradation of RBC leading to anaemia.
I missed this... But let me add spices

The production of NADPH is to actually reduce the oxidized glutathione being produced in the RBC, catalyzed by Glutathione reductase. Product of the reaction actually removes H2O2 as radicals produced by the dissociation of H2O2 cannot be removed singly and it is also catalyzed by glutathione peroxidase(selenocysteine active site).
If that doesn't happen as in the deficiency of G6PDH, accumulation of H2O2 in the cell would have an oxidative effect on the cell membrane.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ikevin(m): 11:50pm On Dec 01, 2015
laryom1:

The production of NADPH is to actually reduce the oxidized glutathione being produced in the RBC, catalyzed by Glutathione reductase. Product of the reaction actually removes H2O2 as radicals produced by the dissociation of H2O2 cannot be removed singly and it is also catalyzed by glutathione peroxidase(selenocysteine active site).
If that doesn't happen as in the deficiency of G6PDH, accumulation of H2O2 in the cell would have an oxidative effect on the cell membrane.
nice additive boss.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DOCTORPRESH: 1:13am On Dec 02, 2015
laryom1:

when will I be able to understand all this? Chai!!!
I envy you guys.
RESPECT SIRS.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 9:34am On Dec 02, 2015
DOCTORPRESH:
when will I be able to understand all this? Chai!!!
I envy you guys.
RESPECT SIRS.
like seriously,it gets me thinking.
when will i be able to understand all these
God help us..
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DOCTORPRESH: 9:58am On Dec 02, 2015
Jason555:
like seriously,it gets me thinking. when will i be able to understand all these God help us..
(in Dammy Krane's voice) Aaamin
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ahmedgafar7(m): 11:32am On Dec 02, 2015
laryom1:

hmmmmm
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dbrainiac1(m): 3:26pm On Dec 02, 2015
Thanks docs Jargo, ikevin, laryom. Your answers n addition is highly appreciated.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by yaqmoon56: 5:54pm On Dec 02, 2015
bonjour medics,
its a pleasure having you guys around.
Abeg i'm in dire need of your assistance.
I'll be glad if you could help.
I need the syllabus for 100L microbiology.
Where can i get one from? or share with me if you have.
Its kinda urgent and vital please.
Meanwhile, there is a special package of holy ghost prayers for who ever is willing to help.
#thanks#bonjourbienmessi
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Mourinholic(m): 6:19pm On Dec 02, 2015
Khan1993:
your contacts sir.
U.I
BDS
FRESHER

08171581233....wattapp
Drwizz...IG
08146456605......calling
Adenitan oluwaseun Davidson ....fb

Still from drwiz
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Mourinholic(m): 6:22pm On Dec 02, 2015
Crossing to Depts like BDS pharmacy MBBS even tech are all possible in ui ..if requirements are met

Thanks

Still drwiz
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by yaqmoon56: 7:17pm On Dec 02, 2015
Any Udusok student or aspirant here please. . . kindly drop your contacts
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jorrn: 11:11pm On Dec 03, 2015
Please help me analyse this question and give correct answer urgently....please if you understand it kindly help out.
-------
-------

Identify which of the following are the characteristics of the vertebrate respiratory surface..1. Moist 2. Vascularised, 3. Semipermeable, 4. Freely permeable, 5. Dry
A. 1,2,3
B. 1,2,5
C. 2,3,5
D. 2,4,5
E. 1,3,5
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jorrn: 11:16pm On Dec 03, 2015
Movement and position of head in man man are detected by the A. Cochlea B. Malleus C. Utriculus D. Semi circular Canal E. Outer ear.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jorrn: 11:16pm On Dec 03, 2015
Movement and position of head in man man are detected by the A. Cochlea B. Malleus C. Utriculus D. Semi circular Canal E. Outer ear. Explain your answer please

(1) (2) (3) ... (313) (314) (315) (316) (317) (318) (319) ... (905) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.