Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,593 members, 7,955,182 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:58 PM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (315) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1926268 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (312) (313) (314) (315) (316) (317) (318) ... (912) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by NeonDee(m): 10:10pm On Nov 29, 2015
To my bosses....

3 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dbrainiac1(m): 10:31pm On Nov 29, 2015
charleymed:
Bro, Learn to ignore somethings...Some corrections could be embarrassing. Maybe it was just a mistake.
Issorite
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 1:30am On Nov 30, 2015
See as charlymed and ikevin scatter book now. Where are all the "MBBS IS BETTER THAN BDS" argumentators? Come and answer question na...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 1:38am On Nov 30, 2015
LOL.

You guys will be alright in the end.
By the time you really get busy, you won't have time to waste on frivolities such as what profession is better.

grin grin

4 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Thewhizzkid1(m): 2:51am On Nov 30, 2015
angiography:

well, I used would....and that wasn't wrong
if you had followed the pattern of my sentences, it was pertinent I used 'would'.
you can use would in lieu of will

modal auxiliaries don't follow concord rules.
you could use one in place of the other depending whether it's American or British English. For example; "shall I help you with the homework?? is British while 'should I help you with the homework??' is American

2. Whether you're being authoritative, exacting, commanding or rather pleading, expressing possibility, requesting politely(respectively) says much on the one to use...

can you bring that box??'
could you bring that box??

would is used for habitual things- whilst expressing the future judging from the past(the reason why I used 'would');
I would be paid at month end(you've always been receiving ur payment at month end, this one no exception)
I will be paid at month end(no reference to whether you had been having ur payment b4 at month end)

3. would, could, and should could be used as past form of will, can, shall...

I don't really know why I'm typing this tho
Informative. Thanks 4 dix.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ADBSunkanmi: 6:34am On Nov 30, 2015
Thank u sir(angiography),i really appreciate dat.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Drguzzykola(m): 9:23am On Nov 30, 2015
Shekstatari:
See as charlymed and ikevin scatter book now. Where are all the "MBBS IS BETTER THAN BDS" argumentators? Come and answer question na...
All of them don stool down dey serve punishment grin
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DOCTORPRESH: 9:49am On Nov 30, 2015
ADBSunkanmi:
Thank u sir(angiography),i really appreciate dat.
Now I wonder if he's a medic or an English prof. grin
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ikevin(m): 11:22am On Nov 30, 2015
This is for those who use Ganong and Guyton. Ganong is respected likewise Guyton when it comes to physiology. Yet, both textbooks had very different explanation regarding neural control of respiration. Ganong said it is basically Pacemaker cells in the Pre-Botzinger complex in the medulla while Guyton and other texts like Ezeilo said it is inspiratory and expiratory grp of neurons in the medulla and the pontile centres. It has always being somehow to me, this is because both books are standard. What is your opinion on this.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jargo89(m): 1:52pm On Nov 30, 2015
ikevin:
This is for those who use Ganong and Guyton. Ganong is respected likewise Guyton when it comes to physiology. Yet, both textbooks had very different explanation regarding neural control of respiration. Ganong said it is basically Pacemaker cells in the Pre-Botzinger complex in the medulla while Guyton and other texts like Ezeilo said it is inspiratory and expiratory grp of neurons in the medulla and the pontile centres. It has always being somehow to me, this is because both books are standard. What is your opinion on this.
firstly I lyk ur academic contributions, it is a shift from(or back) the norm here. I use Sembulingam (my lects prefer it, even if they say otherwise) and it kinda settle the diff btw guyton and gannong. It believes also that the inspiratory and expiratory neurons of the medulla AND the apneustic and pnuemotaxic center of pons(pontine) regulates respiratory movements. It then explains that most animals have an additional group of neurons called Pre-Botzinger complex in medulla that generate impulses for normal respiratory rhythm. The tricky part is it didnt mention in HUMANS.

Keep up the good work
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jorrn: 1:57pm On Nov 30, 2015
Observing
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Rimini: 5:30pm On Nov 30, 2015
Dearpiriye congratulations!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by horpeyemmi66(m): 7:14pm On Nov 30, 2015
oluafolabi:
LOL.

You guys will be alright in the end.
By the time you really get busy, you won't have time to waste on frivolities such as what profession is better.

grin grin
Evening Sir, I believe you are a student of The University of Ibadan, department of Medicine. I just got admitted for Physiology, and I am looking at the prospects of switching to Medicine.

Unfortunately, I've been thrown off balance by UI. They admitted a total 146 students( 109 by merit and 37 via supplementary list).

Since UI has a quota of 180 but don't usually exceed 150 as I heard... What's the possibility of UI allowing crossing and admitting DE when we inevitably arrive at this bridge.

A space of 4 left is too meager to be shared between crossing students and DE students.

I earnestly await your candid reply as regards this.

Thanks.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dearpiriye: 7:48pm On Nov 30, 2015
Rimini:
Dearpiriye congratulations!!!!!!
Thanks a lot dear....hws oau?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Rimini: 7:55pm On Nov 30, 2015
dearpiriye:

I'm still waiting, though they said I'm on the list, I'm still praying, I pray it comes out this week

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by davbravo(m): 7:57pm On Nov 30, 2015
horpeyemmi66:

Evening Sir, I believe you are a student of The University of Ibadan, department of Medicine. I just got admitted for Physiology, and I am looking at the prospects of switching to Medicine.

Unfortunately, I've been thrown off balance by UI. They admitted a total 146 students( 109 by merit and 37 via supplementary list).

Since UI has a quota of 180 but don't usually exceed 150 as I heard... What's the possibility of UI allowing crossing and admitting DE when we inevitably arrive at this bridge.

A space of 4 left is too meager to be shared between crossing students and DE students.

Thanks.
that quota is not just for those on merit n supplementary list, those on DE list are included
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by davbravo(m): 7:58pm On Nov 30, 2015
dearpiriye:
congrats dearpiriye
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by horpeyemmi66(m): 8:02pm On Nov 30, 2015
davbravo:
that quota is not just for those on merit n supplementary list, those on DE list are included
I would rather you speak as regards my plight... crossing from Physiology to Medicine in UI.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dapsondou(m): 8:22pm On Nov 30, 2015
horpeyemmi66:

Thanks.

Since the quota is 180, there's nothing stopping them from accepting crossing students and DE.
In my class, we're 41 BDS students and UI's quota is 30. MBBS students are 152(I think) in number.
So don't think the highest they'll go is 150, UI can take more. Its up to you to work hard to achieve the crossing. Goodluck to you bro. Don't be discouraged. And welcome to UI
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by horpeyemmi66(m): 8:31pm On Nov 30, 2015
dapsondou:

Since the quota is 180, there's nothing stopping them from accepting crossing students and DE.
In my class, we're 41 BDS students and UI's quota is 30. MBBS students are 152(I think) in number.
So don't think the highest they'll go is 150, UI can take more. Its up to you to work hard to achieve the crossing. Goodluck to you bro. Don't be discouraged. And welcome to UI
Thanks alot sir. Recte Sapere fons all the way!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by PilotOz(m): 8:33pm On Nov 30, 2015
Khan1993:
no you aren't starting late. Just give the whole preparation undaunted approach. Create a timetable and make it a sin to deviate from it. You can finish the whole past question too. Avoid desultory form of reading to stay on track. As for the biology, those books i recommend are more that enough because they expose you to answering tricky question jamb. And lastly, don't forget to pray.
Thank u
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dbrainiac1(m): 9:18pm On Nov 30, 2015
Evening docs! . . How does the deficiency of Glucose-6 phosphate dehydrogenase cause anaemia?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dearpiriye: 9:27pm On Nov 30, 2015
Rimini:

I'm still waiting, though they said I'm on the list, I'm still praying, I pray it comes out this week
congrats in advance, i will pray also cheesy
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Rimini: 9:32pm On Nov 30, 2015
dearpiriye:
congrats in advance, i will pray also cheesy
Thank you
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ikevin(m): 10:28pm On Nov 30, 2015
Dbrainiac1:
Evening docs!
How does the deficiency of Glucose-6 phosphate dehydrogenase cause anaemia?
the enzyme is involved in the pentose phosphate pathway, results in the generation of NADPH a reducing equivalent. This is required by glutathione for the continuous removal of free oxygen radicals than destroys RBC membrane. The deficiency of G6PDH results in the continuous degradation of RBC leading to anaemia.

3 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jargo89(m): 10:47pm On Nov 30, 2015
ikevin:
the enzyme is involved in the pentose phosphate pathway, results in the generation of NADPH a reducing equivalent. This is required by glutathione for the continuous removal of free oxygen radicals than destroys RBC membrane. The deficiency of G6PDH results in the continuous degradation of RBC leading to anaemia.
splendid....

In addition this deficiency is genetic and more common in Africans. And since large RBCs are degraded, lots of hemoglobin are released increasing the number of free bilirubin in the blood that cant b fully picked by hepatocytes (liver cells) causin jaundice.

Where it get interesting is that carriers of this gene (allele) display large immunity against malaria.

Physiology is really fun....

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by horpeyemmi66(m): 3:03am On Dec 01, 2015
dapsondou:

Sorry to probe you further, but do those figures include repeaters viz: 41 and 152?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dapsondou(m): 9:23am On Dec 01, 2015
horpeyemmi66:

Sorry to probe you further, but do those figures include repeaters viz: 41 and 152?

The 41 includes 5. The 152 doesn't
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by horpeyemmi66(m): 9:40am On Dec 01, 2015
dapsondou:

The 41 includes 5. The 152 doesn't
Thank you Sir... obviously, I have still got hope.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by emysocio(f): 10:49am On Dec 01, 2015
Good day medics in the house...... Pls is it possible to cross from chemistry to mbbs in UI..... If yes pls how can I go about it...... Thanks in advance.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by horpeyemmi66(m): 11:32am On Dec 01, 2015
emysocio:
Good day medics in the house...... Pls is it possible to cross from chemistry to mbbs in UI..... If yes pls how can I go about it...... Thanks in advance.
Cc dapsondou, oluafolabi et al
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dearpiriye: 12:11pm On Dec 01, 2015
davbravo:
congrats dearpiriye

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (312) (313) (314) (315) (316) (317) (318) ... (912) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: Gbsks and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.