Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,796 members, 7,810,074 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:05 PM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (314) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1823733 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (311) (312) (313) (314) (315) (316) (317) ... (905) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by PietroRico(m): 10:54am On Nov 29, 2015
ikevin:
Now, I am sick and tired of this nonsense argument about career courses and which is better. I am appealing to medical students on this forum to stop arguing with those who always argue about the importance of their course to medicine. We've derailed way too much. Other fields are appreciated on this forum as long as you are updating people's knowledge, you guys might as well create your own forum (just saying). No one discusses questions again, no one brings medical situations and opinions any longer. All you guys do is to argue how dentists collect higher salary than doctors. I strongly feel my fellow medical students are above this depraved reasoning and arguments. Let us make this forum academic, informative and truly medical. Thank you.
annoying really
Had to leave the thread for a while hoping that when I return it would have subsided
It's just disappointing

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by PietroRico(m): 10:55am On Nov 29, 2015
RoastedCorn:
you are actually the 1 that should be optimistic . . . .the statistics favours dentistry than medicine
yea yea.. We agree
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ADBSunkanmi: 11:04am On Nov 29, 2015
Guys,pls am an aspiring mbbs student applied 4 oau,is it d regular 6 yrs dat is spent in d medical school plus 1 year 4 internship?.Nw it's 7yrs plus 1yr(internship) which makes 8yrs,i jus want an oau medical student 2 pls explain d situation 4 oau medical student nd i will really appreciate it.Cuz i hear sum spend up 2 10yrs.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 11:32am On Nov 29, 2015
Roastedcorn, I think it's high time you sheath your sword forever...This thread has been grossly derailed., and it's not healthy, remember many aspirants visit this thread on daily basis, some are depressed and really need to be motivated.
I believe it will be for the good of all, if we channel our energy towards more productive arguments.
whether medicine or dentistry, let's work hard, be the very best we can be and build an enviable health care system...just like the Indians.
Please we're adults, it's okay.

7 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by RoastedCorn(m): 12:48pm On Nov 29, 2015
charleymed:
Roastedcorn, I think it's high time you sheath your sword forever...This thread has been grossly derailed., and it's not healthy, remember many aspirants visit this thread on daily basis, some are depressed and really need to be motivated.
I believe it will be for the good of all, if we channel our energy towards more productive arguments.
whether medicine or dentistry, let's work hard, be the very best we can be and build an enviable health care system...just like the Indians.
Please we're adults, it's okay.
much respect sir,
that's why i tried resisting any arguement but zellie kept pushing

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 1:07pm On Nov 29, 2015
happy sunday docs!

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Drguzzykola(m): 1:30pm On Nov 29, 2015
RoastedCorn:
much respect sir,
that's why i tried resisting any arguement but zellie kept pushing
good to hear u tried resisting , but even if zellie keep pushing, u shouldn't mind ( its a sign that ure greater than him in understanding, replying an uninformed being makes u look like him somehow)
Rep MEDIPORT, sir Charleymed( keep up the good work)
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by RoastedCorn(m): 1:35pm On Nov 29, 2015
Drguzzykola:

good to hear u tried resisting , but even if zellie keep pushing, u shouldn't mind ( its a sign that ure greater than him in understanding, replying an uninformed being makes u look like him somehow)
Rep MEDIPORT, sir Charleymed( keep up the good work)
okay, noticed sir!,zelllie is a girl . . . One love.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ikevin(m): 3:32pm On Nov 29, 2015
I would like to hear your opinion on this. A man is undergoing CNS ischaemic response (increased peripheral resistance, but bradycardia to increase arterial blood pressure). What is the essence of bradycardia in elevating blood pressure? What law is being obeyed? Just your thoughts.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 3:55pm On Nov 29, 2015
ikevin:
I would like to hear your opinion on this. A man is undergoing CNS ischaemic response (increased peripheral resistance, but bradycardia to increase arterial blood pressure). What is the essence of bradycardia in elevating blood pressure? What law is being obeyed? Just your thoughts.
Bradycardia increases sympathetic discharge to heart (thereby increasing chronotropic and dromotrotic effects) by reducing nervous outflow from the carotid and aortic bodies to the vasomotor and cardiorespiratory centres in the brain stem. This means that, the lower the blood pressure (bradycardia) the lesser the excitation of the carotid and aortic bodies, and the more the excitation of the CNS areas mentioned, which then increases sympathetic discharge to the heart and blood vessels, and finally elevating blood pressure.
I'm not sure about the law, but it's a negative feedback reflex.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 4:02pm On Nov 29, 2015
ikevin:
But if your asking for the reason why bradycardia was associated with the man's increased blood pressure, then it's the other way round. just like a compensatory effect. increased blood pressure increases nervous outflow to the CNS, which in turn reduces sympathetic discharge to the heart and blood vessels.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 4:31pm On Nov 29, 2015
Finally something productive @ikevin and @charlymed, so of me don't understand what that means tho, looks like greek. Thumbs-up tho

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ikevin(m): 5:42pm On Nov 29, 2015
During CNS ischaemic response, there is reduced blood flow to the vasomotor centres which is bad. This centre therefore induce the response, i.e. Increased peripheral resistance (sympathetic effect on blood vessels) but reduces the heart rate (bradycardia). Bradycardia obeys the Frank-Sterling law of the heart under physiological range by increasing end-diastolic volume, therefore increasing stroke volume, when this is considered with increased peripheral resistance, arterial blood pressure rises greatly. I appreciate the responses so far.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 5:43pm On Nov 29, 2015
How come am just seeing this??
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 5:54pm On Nov 29, 2015
Jolllyjoy:
because you are a romancelander tongue
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 5:57pm On Nov 29, 2015
FINgames:
because you are a romancelander tongue
maybcheesy
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 6:02pm On Nov 29, 2015
ikevin:
During CNS ischaemic response, there is reduced blood flow to the vasomotor centres which is bad. This centre therefore induce the response, i.e. Increased peripheral resistance (sympathetic effect on blood vessels) but reduces the heart rate (bradycardia). Bradycardia obeys the Frank-Sterling law of the heart under physiological range by increasing end-diastolic volume, therefore increasing stroke volume, when this is considered with increased peripheral resistance, arterial blood pressure rises greatly. I appreciate the responses so far.
I get you now. I guess I didn't understand your question at first. Thanks.
But I will appreciate if you can through more light on why blood supply to the vasomotor centre only, is affected. or is it that a particular artery is occluded or thrombosed? ?
And secondly, I don't understand how bradycardia (decreased heart rate) increases stroke volume.
Finally, the sympathetic discharged from the vasomotor centres to the blood vessels (increased TPR) is quite understandable, but the ensuing bradycardia without the involvement of hering-bruer reflex is not that clear to me.
so, please clarify.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Drguzzykola(m): 6:47pm On Nov 29, 2015
Millex:
Finally something productive @ikevin and @charlymed, looks like greek. Thumbs-up tho
grin
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by kposcas2: 7:30pm On Nov 29, 2015
pls anyone with info on unical direct entry medicine. do they write post DE and is the admission based on merit ?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ikevin(m): 7:47pm On Nov 29, 2015
Jolllyjoy:
the forum used to be very informative dear....
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ikevin(m): 7:55pm On Nov 29, 2015
charleymed:
I get you now. I guess I didn't understand your question at first. Thanks.
But I will appreciate if you can through more light on why blood supply to the vasomotor centre only, is affected. or is it that a particular artery is occluded or thrombosed? ?
And secondly, I don't understand how bradycardia (decreased heart rate) increases stroke volume.
Finally, the sympathetic discharged from the vasomotor centres to the blood vessels (increased TPR) is quite understandable, but the ensuing bradycardia without the involvement of hering-bruer reflex is not that clear to me.
so, please clarify.
reduced blood supply to the VMC due to hypotension induces the response explained in order to increased blood supply to the neurons of the VMC,
With bradycardia, more blood fills the atria, therefore more blood fills the ventricles therefore increasing stroke volume (this increases cardiac output which is stroke vol * heart rate, but the vol is more imp), note that blood pressure is dependent on cardiac output and peripheral resistance.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 8:11pm On Nov 29, 2015
ikevin:
reduced blood supply to the VMC due to hypotension induces the response explained in order to increased blood supply to the neurons of the VMC,
With bradycardia, more blood fills the atria, therefore more blood fills the ventricles therefore increasing stroke volume (this increases cardiac output which is stroke vol * heart rate, but the vol is more imp), note that blood pressure is dependent on cardiac output and peripheral resistance.

Ok. Thanks. I guess the bradycardia in this case is not as a result of the CNS ischaemic response directly, I think I understand what you meant now. It's actually stroke volume that's dependent on Frank-Sterling law of heart not cardiac output as I thought initially, so I'm clarified on that now. But I still have a problem with your answers...bradycardia in most will not increase cardiac output, since cardiac output is largely dependent on the heart rate, which is not elevated in bradycardia. Though elevation of blood pressure as a result of CNS ischaemic response is feasible, but this mainly due increased total peripheral resistance(increased sympathetic discharge to the blood vessels), because bradycardia in most cases does not increase cardiac output, and blood pressure is a product of cardiac output and TPR.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by angiography(m): 8:12pm On Nov 29, 2015
ADBSunkanmi:
Guys,pls am an aspiring mbbs student applied 4 oau,is it d regular 6 yrs dat is spent in d medical school plus 1 year 4 internship?.Nw it's 7yrs plus 1yr(internship) which makes 8yrs,i jus want an oau medical student 2 pls explain d situation 4 oau medical student nd i will really appreciate it.Cuz i hear sum spend up 2 10yrs.
for now, officially, medicine is 6yrs in OAU...albeit, due to incessant strikes, you could as well put it @7yrs...

Anyone that spent 10 yrs in oau medical school must have had a repeat(which not uncommon in medical school).

All medical students in Nigeria must undergo a compulsory 1yr internship b4 being fully registered(not to worry, you would be paid)

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ikevin(m): 8:26pm On Nov 29, 2015
charleymed:

Ok. Thanks. I guess the bradycardia in this case is not as a result of the CNS ischaemic response directly, I think I understand what you meant now. It's actually stroke volume that's dependent on Frank-Sterling law of heart not cardiac output as I thought initially, so I'm clarified on that now. But I still have a problem with your answers...bradycardia in most will not increase cardiac output, since cardiac output is largely dependent on the heart rate, which is not elevated in bradycardia. Though elevation of blood pressure as a result of CNS ischaemic response is feasible, but this mainly due increased total peripheral resistance(increased sympathetic discharge to the blood vessels), because bradycardia in most cases does not increase cardiac output, and blood pressure is a product of cardiac output and TPR.
the response basically wants to increase blood pressure. B.P is a product of cardiac output and TPR. So on one hand TPR is increased by sympathetics while cardiac output is increased by inducing bradycardia which might seem counter-intuitive. Now, if tachycardia is induced, it wud mean less time to fill the heart with blood, therefore by inducing bradycardia, more blood enters the heart therefore more blood is pumped out therefore increasing cardiac output. I understand that cardiac output is a product of stroke volume and heart rate, but increasing stroke volume is more important than just increasing the heart rate with less blood to pump.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 8:41pm On Nov 29, 2015
ikevin:
the response basically wants to increase blood pressure. B.P is a product of cardiac output and TPR. So on one hand TPR is increased by sympathetics while cardiac output is increased by inducing bradycardia which might seem counter-intuitive. Now, if tachycardia is induced, it wud mean less time to fill the heart with blood, therefore by inducing bradycardia, more blood enters the heart therefore more blood is pumped out therefore increasing cardiac output. I understand that cardiac output is a product of stroke volume and heart rate, but increasing stroke volume is more important than just increasing the heart rate with less blood to pump.
You have a strong point bro...medicine is very dynamic.
what of am thinking of something like this.....normal; stroke volume 70ml and heart rate 75 beats/min=5250ml/min (cardiac output) and for Bradycardia; heart rate 40 beats/min and stroke volume 90ml=3600ml/min.
so do you think that the cardiac output has been increased? Lols.
That's why I'm still suggesting that in the presenting case, the TPR which increases as a result of sympathetic discharge to the blood vessels is a more appropriate parameter for assessing the increased blood pressure, not bradycardia.unless where clearly stated, that's in magnitude...both for heart rate and stroke volume.
Most of the time cardiac output tend to decrease with bradycardia depending on the magnitude. That's more reason why tachycardia (as a result of sympathetic discharge to the heart) is often associated with increased blood pressure.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dbrainiac1(m): 9:00pm On Nov 29, 2015
angiography:

for now, officially, medicine is 6yrs in OAU...albeit, due to incessant strikes, you could as well put it @7yrs...

Anyone that spent 10 yrs in oau medical school must have had a repeat(which not uncommon in medical school).

All medical students in Nigeria must undergo a compulsory 1yr internship b4 being fully registered(not to worry, you would be paid)

Would? or will?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ikevin(m): 9:02pm On Nov 29, 2015
charleymed:
You have a strong point bro...medicine is very dynamic.
what of am thinking of something like this.....normal; stroke volume 70ml and heart rate 75 beats/min=5250ml/min (cardiac output) and for Bradycardia; heart rate 40 beats/min and stroke volume 90ml=3600ml/min.
so do you think that the cardiac output has been increased? Lols.
That's why I'm still suggesting that in the presenting case, the TPR which increases as a result of sympathetic discharge to the blood vessels is a more appropriate parameter for assessing the increased blood pressure, not bradycardia.unless where clearly stated, that's in magnitude...both for heart rate and stroke volume.
Most of the time cardiac output tend to decrease with bradycardia depending on the magnitude. That's more reason why tachycardia (as a result of sympathetic discharge to the heart) is often associated with increased blood pressure.
I enjoyed your posit, yet this response does not normally occur in healthy individuals, it is a severe response to a severe condition whereby there is reduced blood flow to the centre regulating the CVS in the medulla. It would be unfair to just assume 90ml since this response is a severe one. Although, Ganong stated that this response and the CVS response to atrial natriuretic peptide are two counter-intuitive processes in CVS. You have to appreciate that the response is counter-intuitive. Other processes in CVS regulation follow normal reasoning as you are suggesting. I strongly like your reasoning, what sch, I rep Delsu by the way.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by angiography(m): 9:06pm On Nov 29, 2015
Dbrainiac1:

Would? or will?
well, I used would....and that wasn't wrong
if you had followed the pattern of my sentences, it was pertinent I used 'would'.
you can use would in lieu of will

modal auxiliaries don't follow concord rules.
you could use one in place of the other depending whether it's American or British English. For example; "shall I help you with the homework?? is British while 'should I help you with the homework??' is American

2. Whether you're being authoritative, exacting, commanding or rather pleading, expressing possibility, requesting politely(respectively) says much on the one to use...

can you bring that box??'
could you bring that box??

would is used for habitual things- whilst expressing the future judging from the past(the reason why I used 'would');
I would be paid at month end(you've always been receiving ur payment at month end, this one no exception)
I will be paid at month end(no reference to whether you had been having ur payment b4 at month end)

3. would, could, and should could be used as past form of will, can, shall...

I don't really know why I'm typing this tho
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 9:08pm On Nov 29, 2015
ikevin:
. It would be unfair to just assume 90ml since this response is a severe one..
lols. you're good...it's funny how dynamic medicine is, almost everything seem to be correct.
MBBS-unijos.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 9:12pm On Nov 29, 2015
Dbrainiac1:

Would? or will?
Bro, Learn to ignore somethings...Some corrections could be embarrassing. Maybe it was just a mistake.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ikevin(m): 9:21pm On Nov 29, 2015
charleymed:

lols. you're good...it's funny how dynamic medicine is, almost everything seem to be correct.
MBBS-unijos.
at times it would seem beyond understanding, very frustrating. Hello to you guys over there...
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 9:43pm On Nov 29, 2015
ikevin:
at times it would seem beyond understanding, very frustrating. Hello to you guys over there...
LOL
thanks bro

(1) (2) (3) ... (311) (312) (313) (314) (315) (316) (317) ... (905) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: lenghtinny(m), Damson22, NL1960 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.