Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,742 members, 7,809,837 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:44 PM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (428) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1823580 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (425) (426) (427) (428) (429) (430) (431) ... (905) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:00pm On Feb 25, 2017
Millex:

Well what i know is lymphatic vessels help drain tisssues and empty into ducts finally veins but not after some cleaning has been done by lymphocytes and macrophages also lymphatics are important in reducing interstitial fluid and blocked lymphatics causes edema as in cases of elephantiasis....
Also the lower limb and much of the abdomen and left side lymphatics drain into the thoracic ducts and left lymphatic ducts abd right side of body from upper limbs and head and neck drains into right lymphatic ducts and on to veins via jugular and carotid veins ...
Thats the lil i know
About pathology i guess its edema.. Thats kibda like what happens when ur toilet is blocked and shit thats supposed to flow to the septic tank comes back to the wc nd u know what that means... Now imagine that happening in body first waste isn't drained out nd the waste nd fluids comes back to interstitial compartment bd thats a deviation from normal so pathology.

Do you know why three-quarter of the body fluid is drained from the thoracic duct into the left subclavian vein while the remaining one-quarter is drained from the right lymphatic duct into the right subclavian vein?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 9:19pm On Feb 25, 2017
masperano:

Do you know why three-quarter of the body fluid is drained from the thoracic duct into the left subclavian vein while the remaining one-quarter is drained from the right lymphatic duct into the right subclavian vein?
I dont know why do u?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 9:48pm On Feb 25, 2017
Millex:

I dont know why do u?
Oogway loves stuffs like this..
Just wait! The Medical Director will soon be here with his lies.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 10:25pm On Feb 25, 2017
Millex:

I dont know why do u?

No I still do not know, trying to find out if any one can point me to a research article where I can find the answer or something close to the question.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 3:41pm On Feb 26, 2017
masperano:

No I still do not know, trying to find out if any one can point me to a research article where I can find the answer or something close to the question.
You can run research tho this is how nobel prices get won tho fron tge belly of inquisition... But i don't know too unno the svc is on the right side... Or could it be cause of anatomical positions of the heart.?...
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 6:05pm On Feb 26, 2017
Millex:

You can run research tho this is how nobel prices get won tho fron tge belly of inquisition... But i don't know too unno the svc is on the right side... Or could it be cause of anatomical positions of the heart.?...

No idea.. My research work is about formulating models to describe the transport mechanism of the lymphatic vessels. How do lymphatic vessels propel lymph up against gravity without any central pump like the heart?....
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by TRAILBLAIZER: 7:33pm On Feb 26, 2017
plz medics in d house help does tafawa balewa university bauchi offer medicine
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by OJABS1: 10:01pm On Feb 26, 2017
TRAILBLAIZER:
plz medics in d house help does tafawa balewa university bauchi offer medicine
Yeah. They just admitted their first set
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by OJABS1: 10:08pm On Feb 26, 2017
masperano:

No idea.. My research work is about formulating models to describe the transport mechanism of the lymphatic vessels. How do lymphatic vessels propel lymph up against gravity without any central pump like the heart?....

Logically, I would say that because the superficial lymphatic vessels follow veins and deep ones follow artery, the mechanism involved in the movement of lymph (especially the superficial ones) against gravity can be likened to that of venous drainage since their course are the same. Have u also wandered why venous blood, though a low pressure blood still drains to the heart against gravity? Some of the reasons are due to the valves present in veins which are also found in lymphatic ducts as well as the venous plexuses that are located in strategic positions in the body. These veins are embedded within muscles whose contractions help to propel blood against gravity. E.g of such plexuses are those found deep to the soleus of the calf as well as the pterygoid venous plexus of the head and neck. Here, the soleus and the pterygoid muscles respectively serve as peripheral hearts because there contraction help to propel blood against gravity to the heart.
To your second question, remember that the thoracic duct is the largest lymphatic ducts in the body. Apart from the fact that it is the continuation of the cisterna chyli, it also receives several tributaries in the thorax before inclining to the left to drain into the left subclavian vein. Unlike the thoracic duct, the right lymphatic duct which is smaller and is to the right only receives fewer tributaries before draining to the right subclvian vein.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 11:17pm On Feb 26, 2017
OJABS1:

Logically, I would say that because the superficial lymphatic vessels follow veins and deep ones follow artery, the mechanism involved in the movement of lymph (especially the superficial ones) against gravity can be likened to that of venous drainage since their course are the same. Have u also wandered why venous blood, though a low pressure blood still drains to the heart against gravity? Some of the reasons are due to the valves present in veins which are also found in lymphatic ducts as well as the venous plexuses that are located in strategic positions in the body. These veins are embedded within muscles whose contractions help to propel blood against gravity. E.g of such plexuses are those found deep to the soleus of the calf as well as the pterygoid venous plexus of the head and neck. Here, the soleus and the pterygoid muscles respectively serve as peripheral hearts because there contraction help to propel blood against gravity to the heart.
To your second question, remember that the thoracic duct is the largest lymphatic ducts in the body. Apart from the fact that it is the continuation of the cisterna chyli, it also receives several tributaries in the thorax before inclining to the left to drain into the left subclavian vein. Unlike the thoracic duct, the right lymphatic duct which is smaller and is to the right only receives fewer tributaries before draining to the right subclvian vein.

Yea in addition the lymphatic vessels propel lymph via intrinsic pumping mechanism (periodic contraction of smooth muscle cells at the wall of the vessel) unlike the veins which depend majorly on extrinsic pumping mechanism (contraction of external adjacent tissues). The lymphatic vessels just like the veins also have valves that prevent retrograde flow. But a removed lymph node(perhaps to reduce the tendency for cancerous cells to metastasize to other parts of the body) could lead to lymphoedema (swelling of the tissues due to accumulation of extravasated fluid from the blood capillaries to the interstitial space); this demonstrates how little we know about the transport mechanism.

Yea but it still begs the question why does the right lymphatic duct receive fewer tributaries (if i may use your terminology) as against the thoracic duct?, why is it asymmetric( why should only the right top quadrant drain into the right lymphatic duct, why not part of the lower quadrant and on and on....)? .
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by OJABS1: 5:43pm On Feb 27, 2017
masperano:

Yea in addition the lymphatic vessels propel lymph via intrinsic pumping mechanism (periodic contraction of smooth muscle cells at the wall of the vessel) unlike the veins which depend majorly on extrinsic pumping mechanism (contraction of external adjacent tissues). The lymphatic vessels just like the veins also have valves that prevent retrograde flow. But a removed lymph node(perhaps to reduce the tendency for cancerous cells to metastasize to other parts of the body) could lead to lymphoedema (swelling of the tissues due to accumulation of extravasated fluid from the blood capillaries to the interstitial space); this demonstrates how little we know about the transport mechanism.

Yea but it still begs the question why does the right lymphatic duct receive fewer tributaries (if i may use your terminology) as against the thoracic duct?, why is it asymmetric( why should only the right top quadrant drain into the right lymphatic duct, why not part of the lower quadrant and on and on....)? .

It is because all the lymph from the lower half of the body already empties into the thoracic duct and non is left to drain into the right lymphatic duct. It is good to be inquisitive. But if u want to know why the little finger has decided to be smaller and medial to the ring finger, I think the one who made them so should explain better

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 8:01pm On Feb 27, 2017
OJABS1:

It is because all the lymph from the lower half of the body already empties into the thoracic duct and non is left to drain into the right lymphatic duct. It is good to be inquisitive. But if u want to know why the little finger has decided to be smaller and medial to the ring finger, I think the one who made them so should explain better

Lolzz that got me laughing grin

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DrBESTJC(m): 1:41pm On Feb 28, 2017
Please, any UI medical student here, answer me.............DO MEDICAL STUDENTS OFFER MATHEMATICS COURSES IN YEAR ONE IN UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dbrainiac1(m): 5:27pm On Feb 28, 2017
DrBESTJC:
Please, any UI medical student here, answer me.............DO MEDICAL STUDENTS OFFER MATHEMATICS COURSES IN YEAR ONE IN UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN
My guy dey fear maths o grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by OJABS1: 6:46pm On Feb 28, 2017
masperano:

Lolzz that got me laughing grin
grin that's why science is limited
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DokitaDave(m): 9:21am On Mar 01, 2017
DrBESTJC:
It depends on the department; I am sure students of the Department of Medicine and Surgery & Department of Dentistry and Dental Surgery don't take Mathematics.

Medical Laboratory Science students take Mathematics.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Thewhizzkid1(m): 1:07pm On Mar 01, 2017
masperano:

I think the major factor for moving venous blood up against gravity is the very low right atrial pressure ( about 0 - 3 mmHg) which serves as a suction pump rather than the contraction of those skeletal muscles. Just my contribution sha.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dearpiriye: 1:29pm On Mar 01, 2017
Thewhizzkid1:

I think the major factor for moving venous blood up against gravity is the very low right atrial pressure ( about 0 - 3 mmHg) which serves as a suction pump rather than the contraction of those skeletal muscles. Just my contribution sha.
it's actually both but more of the skeletal muscles
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Thewhizzkid1(m): 9:46pm On Mar 01, 2017
dearpiriye:
Kk. Thanks.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Thewhizzkid1(m): 9:47pm On Mar 01, 2017
dearpiriye:
Kk. Thanks.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 5:13am On Mar 03, 2017
OJABS1:

grin that's why science is limited
Science is not limited, neither is the human mind. We deliberately refuse to find answers to our questions.

3 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 7:34am On Mar 03, 2017
Thewhizzkid1:

Also the negative pressure generated in the thoracic carvity during inspiration acts as a sucking pump for blood in ivc nd svc increasing veinous return
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 7:35am On Mar 03, 2017
dearpiriye:
I think they all kinda worm together to increase veinous return when pumping agains gravity
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 7:37am On Mar 03, 2017
charleymed:

Science is not limited, neither is the human mind. We deliberately refuse to find answers to our questions.
Lol true i think the explanation of fermentation kinda showed that just because we haven't found the solution to a problem doesn't mean that thing is impossible...

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by OJABS1: 9:21pm On Mar 03, 2017
charleymed:

I respectfully disagree. It is not due to deliberate refusal to find answers. Why on earth would man deliberately refuse to find answers to his own problems? In fact, man has been doing his best. He has been on the constant search for knowledge right from his creation. He has made lots of researches and has performed lots of experiments. It is no doubt that man had solved difficult puzzles, some of which we are still benefiting their result today. However, many questions still remained unanswered to this day. The truth is, Man's environment is bigger than he can see or touch which makes some of his questions difficult for science to clearly provide answers. Why is it still difficult to understand the origin of life even though too many theories had already been put in place? Why would science say that it is difficult to define life? Why is science yet to boast of making just a unicellular organism of its own? well, perhaps with time, science may prove us wrong during which time, answers to all questions will be on our finger tips. Until then, all we can see right now is our limited science.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ExcessKJ(m): 5:22pm On Mar 06, 2017
THIS IS VERY URGENT PLS

I am humbly begging medics on this thread to kindly share the latest PDF version of Indebir Singh textbook of Embryology and the latest i. e 12th edition of Keith Moore developing human.

Pls, I want it urgently.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by simba1: 1:24am On Mar 07, 2017
Please pardon me, are you a zikite?
ExcessKJ:
THIS IS VERY URGENT PLS

I am humbly begging medics on this thread to kindly share the latest PDF version of Indebir Singh textbook of Embryology and the latest i. e 12th edition of Keith Moore developing human.

Pls, I want it urgently.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by abasadorofgrace(m): 8:45am On Mar 07, 2017
Can't wait to get pass theses natural science course and go straight to what made me come to med school.

AAUCOM be stressing peeps
Buh my God pass them

Greetings to the medics in d house

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dearpiriye: 9:02am On Mar 07, 2017
Good morning house. Please i need info on DE to unizik and unn.
Cc Millex Thewhizzkid1 Oogway
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ExcessKJ(m): 10:54am On Mar 07, 2017
simba1:
Please pardon me, are you a zikite?

No
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by simba1: 12:55pm On Mar 07, 2017
Hello, I'm a Zikite
dearpiriye:
Good morning house. Please i need info on DE to unizik and unn.
Cc Millex Thewhizzkid1 Oogway
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by IFEZINX1(m): 12:59pm On Mar 07, 2017
simba1:
Hello, I'm a Zikite

Pls hw does change of department work in Unizik? From Health Science to Medicine

(1) (2) (3) ... (425) (426) (427) (428) (429) (430) (431) ... (905) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.