Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,256 members, 7,815,393 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:41 AM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (431) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1829372 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (428) (429) (430) (431) (432) (433) (434) ... (905) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DrOluwatobhy(m): 4:15pm On Mar 19, 2017
Oogway:

1st of all. They're several schools in Nigeria where you can gain admission into medicine by merit and one of those schools is University of Calabar( I schooled there and my admission was based STRICTLY on merit)
2ndly, most people lie about admission into medicine. The thing is medicine is the most sort after course in the world Nigeria not excluded. Now when thousands of people apply for admission into a limited space only the very best will be picked and that'll be the best of the best. Most times this persons who didn't do well enough go about telling lies that they pass but weren't given admission (please note I'm aware that they're some irregularities do occur sometimes but it's not as high as people blow it to be). Now the numbers of those who did not get admission greatly outweigh those who did so it's easier for these persons to spread the facade of lies to the unsuspecting populace.
3.) An average student can study medicine, all he needs is consistency never miss class or hospital rounds and try to read Atleast an hour or two each day. I played politics in school and still topped.
4.) Yes the fees for medicine in a federal university is always slightly higher but the difference most times isn't always upto 10k and yes medical books are very expensive but here's the pros:
U can get soft copies from ur friends for free
Same way medicine expenses are higher so also do a medical student have higher chances of getting scholarships to train himself. We have to mention but a few
Agbami
Shell
Addax
NLNG
Mobil
Federal government undergraduate scholarship
Total
I was a beneficial of most of those so I can tell you it's very legitimate.

Most of my classmates during my time trained themselves in school from Scholarships

Finally. Forget those stories of withdrawal, a SMART student would never be withdrawn from medical school. In medicine what u need is more of working smart than working hard. And u just don't wake up 1 day to see withdrawal. U are given 3 chances depending on the school and conditions. You have RESIT, REPEAT before withdrawal so if u are on last attempt and u don't read who's to blame for your failure?? The school or u.

To end it, Nairaland is the worst place to seek important advice as most people here are either Fakers, saddist or just plain stupid. I wish you all the best in your academic pursuit.

God bless you sir..

I need your help.

Message me on WhatsApp
Please Sir.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 4:57pm On Mar 19, 2017
afobam:
Back then when I was seeking admission around 2013, this thread was a big source of inspiration.
lomaxx was in part 4/5 then, this guy can move stuff for Africacheesy. He should have become a doctor by now?. I thank God that I got the admission then and today am done with pathology and pharmacology cheesy.
Sir lagusta, you thread is invaluable to any medical aspirant or student in this country and I want you to keep this good work going.
lomaxx hope you have have calm down with babes? lol.
I just say make I greet una ni. Medicine 2 dey load for here.
Afobam
university college hospital
Ibadan.
Dr_afobam i hail oooo
This is your boy from xt's school.
Ui admssion last year wasn't easy at all... hence i missed it.
So how's been UCH..
Dr_Lomaxx and. Dr_lagusta has inspired you back then, you can also inspire we the aspirants i'll be grateful if you will.

Thanks boss
We're waiting
UP SCHOOL!!!!

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 5:17pm On Mar 19, 2017
Dalyjay:
evening doc's..... I wanna choose u.I dis year and I had Two B's and 3 C's n my o levels.... pls with 280 and above can I be consider for admission or s dere a close course to medicine dat can easier be crossed n 200l....please I need ur opinions
Bro,
Calculating your screening score with the method UI used last year(assuming your B's is (B2) and C's is C4) you've got an aggregate of 66.66(jamb 280)
Bro with these you can't actually get medicine (cut-off mark last year was 76.75)
So my advice, apply to the department of 'physiology' with a strong CGPA & prayers I heard your crossing is possible.

Mind you, UI has change her point grading system to 4.0 to have a strong cgpa won't be beans so if you get physiology eventually, do not forget to chase your dreams.
Takia

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by MrEgghead(m): 5:27pm On Mar 19, 2017
BabyGirl114:
Hi everyone, Please I need your prayer and help, am an aspiring student of medicine,I wish to study it after my MSC, which I will likely be finishing nextyear.I actually want to study it for the knowledge I will gain from it, I have decided to write WAEC again,Jamb too, my problem is that am afraid of how am going to gain admission, because all my brain is telling me is that everything in Nigeria is through long leg, and I am a daughter of nobody, that has always weaken me. Am an average student and I believe I will be able to struggle the medicine year through but those medicine students close to me won't just stop telling me medicine is very difficult and 80%of student will end up not graduating etc,this has created large fear in my heart. Am a female and am not in the rich side, some people will even say in studying medicine I will have to be buying different costly textbook.Please advise with schools to choose, what I should be aiming for in my WAEC,JAMB etc. Am really afraid of WAEC because I don't believe they give one ones result as when I wrote my first WAEC, there was almost nothing I knew not in those subjects I took, but still I ended up with Cs.There are some schools in my area that have been tagged schools that have As in their WAEC,those with B grade and those with grades etc, but then, I was young and foolish and thus think its not true until my friends we are of the same brilliancy level got As and I ended up with Cs
From your story so far,It's vivid your passion for medicine is astounding but you must be very wise in choosing your institution.Gone are those days when people are placed on the same level of tests and those who actually impressed are ultimately admitted.

The change in the system has disrupted the mode of admission giving those with distinctions upper hand:this is where the choice of institution comes to play.

If you wouldn't want to compromise your belief and faith,you shouldn't indulge in examination malpractice but if you wish,it's your choice to make.

Lastly,believe in yourself that you'll make it no matter what happens.winners don't quit!

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 6:01pm On Mar 19, 2017
BabyGirl114:

Thanks Sir, but sir,how do I know if I am one of the best of the best?because I don't think I am since what I studied in university has almost nothing to do with physics, chemistry
Neither was lomaxx (check him up In previous pages) .... Dont let ur situation determine where u end up in life, if you want medicine go for it. I believe you would be more mature than ur younger colleagues. You know how life is and you know why you are going for med dont be deterred, in the states anyone can study med you just have to work hard nd take remedial classes for the foundation in science.
Chase your dream and let your passion be your atp... Also choose schools wisely like the erudite oogway said earlier even if it means going to a school in ur state or favoured by your catchment. Just make sure you work smart and hard. Dont give up dont fear

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dalyjay(m): 6:30pm On Mar 19, 2017
Ajet001:

Bro,
Calculating your screening score with the method UI used last year(assuming your B's is (B2) and C's is C4) you've got an aggregate of 66.66(jamb 280)
Bro with these you can't actually get medicine (cut-off mark last year was 76.75)
So my advice, apply to the department of 'physiology' with a strong CGPA & prayers I heard your crossing is possible.

Mind you, UI has change her point grading system to 4.0 to have a strong cgpa won't be beans so if you get physiology eventually, do not forget to chase your dreams.
Takia

Thanks so much sir, re u a uite?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by simba1: 7:31pm On Mar 19, 2017
Bros malaber, can I pls get ur fb id?
Oogway:

1st of all. They're several schools in Nigeria where you can gain admission into medicine by merit and one of those schools is University of Calabar( I schooled there and my admission was based STRICTLY on merit)
2ndly, most people lie about admission into medicine. The thing is medicine is the most sort after course in the world Nigeria not excluded. Now when thousands of people apply for admission into a limited space only the very best will be picked and that'll be the best of the best. Most times this persons who didn't do well enough go about telling lies that they pass but weren't given admission (please note I'm aware that they're some irregularities do occur sometimes but it's not as high as people blow it to be). Now the numbers of those who did not get admission greatly outweigh those who did so it's easier for these persons to spread the facade of lies to the unsuspecting populace.
3.) An average student can study medicine, all he needs is consistency never miss class or hospital rounds and try to read Atleast an hour or two each day. I played politics in school and still topped.
4.) Yes the fees for medicine in a federal university is always slightly higher but the difference most times isn't always upto 10k and yes medical books are very expensive but here's the pros:
Same way medicine expenses are higher so also do a medical student have higher chances of getting scholarships to train himself. We have to mention but a few
Agbami
Shell
Addax
NLNG
Mobil
Total

Most of my classmates during my time trained themselves in school from Scholarships

Finally. Forget those stories of withdrawal, a SMART student would never be withdrawn from medical school. In medicine what u need is more of working smart than working hard. And u just don't wake up 1 day to see withdrawal. U are given 3 chances depending on the school and conditions. You have RESIT, REPEAT before withdrawal so if u are on last attempt and u don't read who's to blame for your failure?? The school or u.

To end it, Nairaland is the worst place to seek important advice as most people here are either Fakers, saddist or just plain stupid. I wish you all the best in your academic pursuit.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dunsin89(m): 8:29pm On Mar 19, 2017
Dr Oogway is really trying in this thread. Thumbs up to him.
Aspirants, why not check something useful here https://www.nairaland.com/2228034
And. https://www.nairaland.com/3678596
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 9:12pm On Mar 19, 2017
Dalyjay:

Thanks so much sir, re u a uite?
No Aspirant
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Oogway: 12:56am On Mar 20, 2017
simba1:
Bros malaber, can I pls get ur fb id?

It's MALABITE and also I have reached 5,000 friends on FB
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by simba1: 2:04am On Mar 20, 2017
I know it's Malabite. Just my own variation.
Oogway:

It's MALABITE and also I have reached 5,000 friends on FB
BTW, I just wanna inbox you.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by afobam(m): 5:50am On Mar 20, 2017
Ajet001:

Dr_afobam i hail oooo
This is your boy from xt's school.
Ui admssion last year wasn't easy at all... hence i missed it.
So how's been UCH..
Dr_Lomaxx and. Dr_lagusta has inspired you back then, you can also inspire we the aspirants i'll be grateful if you will.

Thanks boss
We're waiting
UP SCHOOL!!!!
Ajetomobi, senior prefect ?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by BabyGirl114: 9:14am On Mar 20, 2017
Millex:

Neither was lomaxx (check him up In previous pages) .... Dont let ur situation determine where u end up in life, if you want medicine go for it. I believe you would be more mature than ur younger colleagues. You know how life is and you know why you are going for med dont be deterred, in the states anyone can study med you just have to work hard nd take remedial classes for the foundation in science.
Chase your dream and let your passion be your atp... Also choose schools wisely like the erudite oogway said earlier even if it means going to a school in ur state or favoured by your catchment. Just make sure you work smart and hard. Dont give up dont fear
Thanks sir, your words really help, please Sir, what should I aim for in Jamb And Waec
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by BabyGirl114: 9:17am On Mar 20, 2017
MrEgghead:
From your story so far,It's vivid your passion for medicine is astounding but you must be very wise in choosing your institution.Gone are those days when people are placed on the same level of tests and those who actually impressed are ultimately admitted.

The change in the system has disrupted the mode of admission giving those with distinctions upper hand:this is where the choice of institution comes to play.

If you wouldn't want to compromise your belief and faith,you shouldn't indulge in examination malpractice but if you wish,it's your choice to make.

Lastly,believe in yourself that you'll make it no matter what happens.winners don't quit!
Yes sir,my passion is high,but you said those who performed well aint gonna be picked, thats exactly my fear
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by BabyGirl114: 9:26am On Mar 20, 2017
Oogway:

Agbami
Shell
Addax
NLNG
Mobil
Total

Thanks for all the advice, am really grateful, may God reward you abundantly, I will continue to have hope and give updates on this thread, I wall the medicine in South Western states are very frightful for a poor girl as me,I will pursue my PhD as well so I shouldn't loose it all next year, the truth is its frightful,only rich kids and highly influenced people that I see that gain admission for medicine and extremely brilliant people (genius with 320 upwards UME)
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by MrEgghead(m): 9:58am On Mar 20, 2017
BabyGirl114:

Yes sir,my passion is high,but you said those who performed well aint gonna be picked, thats exactly my fear
One of the greatest obstacles to success is fear-If you can do away with and remain positive,focus and resolute; success will be yours.Who says you can't make it even with the prevailing situation?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by BabyGirl114: 10:19am On Mar 20, 2017
MrEgghead:
One of the greatest obstacles to success is fear-If you can do away with and remain positive,focus and resolute; success will be yours.Who says you can't make it even with the prevailing situation?
Thanks bros
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by exammate: 11:00am On Mar 20, 2017
The well kept secret to passing Jamb is out!
The ExamMate Jamb cbt software is the answer. Follow these links to get yours;

Desktop/Laptop app: https://esoftcontent.com/downloads.php

Mobile App: https:///nbCV4i
or call 08189968809.

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by MrEgghead(m): 12:57pm On Mar 20, 2017
BabyGirl114:

Thanks bros
you're welcome.
which school and department did you finish from?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Donpre(m): 2:04pm On Mar 20, 2017
I was wondering, if a person were to be involved in a fatal accident, and an artery and vein of the same size(e.g aorta and vena cava) were to be severed... which should be closed first or which is more fatal to the patient's life?

I think its the artery, considering blood in it is at high pressure... anyway, lemme hear what the bosses have to say
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Abcruz(m): 2:05pm On Mar 20, 2017
BabyGirl114:

Thanks for all the advice, am really grateful, may God reward you abundantly, I will continue to have hope and give updates on this thread, I wall the medicine in South Western states are very frightful for a poor girl as me,I will pursue my PhD as well so I shouldn't loose it all next year, the truth is its frightful,only rich kids and highly influenced people that I see that gain admission for medicine and extremely brilliant people (genius with 320 upwards UME)
Do not look at your future with fear but look at the present in awareness'' the greatest achievement in history were made by men who saw a thousand reasons why they could'nt make it but they concentrated their effort and mentality on that single reason of possibility.

Grace spoke for me, for by strength shall no man prevail...
Just believe in yourself...
Stay positive...
Trust in God...

And the sky shall be ur starting point!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dearpiriye: 4:13pm On Mar 20, 2017
BabyGirl114:

to the genius part..... These same geniuses tell you they can't really say how it happened. Just prepare like you have no other choice than to get in. By the way stop pulling yourself down with words. South western universities pay the cheapest fees in the nation for that quality of education. You don't have to be wealthy. As you have been rightly told there are lots of scholarships for medical and dental students both the popular ones, less popular and even from alumni. I had never been to Ibadan before until I got admitted. I didnt know a soul but somehow I got in. Work and pray that's all you need.

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 5:06pm On Mar 20, 2017
afobam:
Ajetomobi, senior prefect ?
Yes Sir... It's me
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by BabyGirl114: 5:20pm On Mar 20, 2017
Oogway:

Agbami
Shell
Addax
NLNG
Mobil
Total

Just like you have said sir, I happened to meet one faker,saddist or just plain stupid person named Ximenez,he sent me an email, I accepted, and he ended up trying to bring up more fear in me, telling me am so dull and all, I dont know why some human beings are so funny.Truthfully, Nairaland is the worst place to seek important advice
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 5:57pm On Mar 20, 2017
Donpre:
I was wondering, if a person were to be involved in a fatal accident, and an artery and vein of the same size(e.g aorta and vena cava) were to be severed... which should be closed first or which is more fatal to the patient's life?

I think its the artery, considering blood in it is at high pressure... anyway, lemme hear what the bosses have to say
Actually concerning pressure in the blood there are control systems that would work to reduce the the pressure via vasoconstriction of vessels nd vasodilation of peripheral vessels nd reducing heart rate nd force of contraction. Nd when HR is reduced the pressure would be reduced.
Also not that due to the lower veinous return as a result of VC rupture cardiac output will be lower etc

Back to the questions i think it would be wise to stop bleeding from both aorta nd VC then try to repair the vessels. I doubt the individual would make it to the hospital before tissue start shutting down due to shock nd low blood volume.
I know my more experienced colleagues would have a better answer...
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dailymercy: 5:59pm On Mar 20, 2017
was using issygenius as my username
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by BabyGirl114: 6:29pm On Mar 20, 2017
dearpiriye:
to the genius part..... These same geniuses tell you they can't really say how it happened. Just prepare like you have no other choice than to get in. By the way stop pulling yourself down with words. South western universities pay the cheapest fees in the nation for that quality of education. You don't have to be wealthy. As you have been rightly told there are lots of scholarships for medical and dental students both the popular ones, less popular and even from alumni. I had never been to Ibadan before until I got admitted. I didnt know a soul but somehow I got in. Work and pray that's all you need.
Hmmm
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:04pm On Mar 20, 2017
Lol... Ximenz come see wetin I dey see O.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Ximenez(m): 7:39pm On Mar 20, 2017
xlow:
Lol... Ximenz come see wetin I dey see O.
Don't mind the girl, i just decided not to respond, at least for now.

If you have gone through her posts, you can't help but wonder how someone who claimed to have undergone undergraduate studies and is presently undergoing postgraduate studies can be so naive with low self esteem and bereft of confidence with so much fear.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:40pm On Mar 20, 2017
Pls, snr docs..
I got stockd wen I discovered the lymph from the lymphatic system goes through lateal vessel through oppenings of the subclavian Vien -left jugular to lymph nodes that occurs below the neck,armpit and groin for purification, that is, removal of lymphorial cells b4 the lymph(fliud) empties intothe blood. Via the HPV. Now, since the lymph caries digestive food too.. How does this food escape being removed by phagocytes in the lymphatic system b4 it goes through the process of emptying into the blood stream after it has passed through the HPV then through the subclavian atery to supply necc. Nutrient to the fore limb and through the illac atery to the hindlimb...
A humble dude is confused here... Plsss help.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 8:11pm On Mar 20, 2017
Ximenez:
Don't mind the girl, i just decided not to respond, at least for now.

If you have gone through her posts, you can't help but wonder how someone who claimed to have undergone undergraduate studies and is presently undergoing postgraduate studies can be so naive with low self esteem and bereft of confidence with so much fear.
Dude be nice

4 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dalyjay(m): 8:33pm On Mar 20, 2017
Ajet001:
No Aspirant

This year is our year in Jesus name

(1) (2) (3) ... (428) (429) (430) (431) (432) (433) (434) ... (905) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.