Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,484 members, 7,861,402 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 11:37 AM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (60) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1865279 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (908) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 1:16am On May 25, 2013
alutacontinu[b:
a]

We're doing path and pharm concurrently. I can still cope with pathology more than I'm coping with pharmacology. The 'voluminousness' is one problem on it's own, the cramming part is the major issue that I have. I just don't have the talent of cramming. Time to start the use of mnemonics. I cannot afford to be overcome by pharamcology. angry
[/b]
cramming maybe the only way out, especially when u have just a few months to learn and know it all. MD2 is already messing with my head. Neuroanatomy pathways are so scary. I Left the class today, I tink i will do better with Pharm. How did u study neuro? any easy way?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by malexito(m): 5:56am On May 25, 2013
Any pansite aboard? am a 100l pharmacy student of DELSU

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by LizyL: 7:51am On May 25, 2013
Hey, any nursing student in the house? Tell me bout the advantages and disadvantages of studying nursing science.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 7:51am On May 25, 2013
fedico21: [/b]
cramming maybe the only way out, especially when u have just a few months to learn and know it all. MD2 is already messing with my head. Neuroanatomy pathways are so scary. I Left the class today, I tink i will do better with Pharm. How did u study neuro? any easy way?

The Indian prof that taught me Neuroanatomy contributed less than 30% to my Neuro knowledge. He only served as a guide- it was nearly useless sitting in that lecture hall to listen to his blabs. Neuro class was perfect siesta time.
Nevertheless, attending the class was very important- Neuro is too wide and deep to believe you'd master it 100% on your own. Neuro is too wide for your lecturer to teach everything.
Your lecturer will emphasize on a particular subject matter when treating a topic- so it would help you master what you need to master without wasting time unnecessarily.

You need a good textbook too. I recommend Functional Neuroanatomy: Text and Atlas by Adel K. Afifi, Ronald A. Bergman. Snell's Clinical Neuroanatomy is good too. (I used both- they're perfect). Goodluck!

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 7:53am On May 25, 2013
LizyL: Hey, any nursing student in the house? Tell me bout the advantages and disadvantages of studying nursing science.

Disadvantages?? Nursing is cool
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 8:14am On May 25, 2013
LizyL: Hey, any nursing student in the house? Tell me bout the advantages and disadvantages of studying nursing science.

nursing is a good and lucrative course....

i dont know of any disadvantage relating to it....
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 9:29am On May 25, 2013
lomaxx:

The Indian prof that taught me Neuroanatomy contributed less than 30% to my Neuro knowledge. He only served as a guide- it was nearly useless sitting in that lecture hall to listen to his blabs. Neuro class was perfect siesta time.
Nevertheless, attending the class was very important- Neuro is too wide and deep to believe you'd master it 100% on your own. Neuro is too wide for your lecturer to teach everything.
Your lecturer will emphasize on a particular subject matter when treating a topic- so it would help you master what you need to master without wasting time unnecessarily.

You need a good textbook too. I recommend Functional Neuroanatomy: Text and Atlas by Adel K. Afifi, Ronald A. Bergman. Snell's Clinical Neuroanatomy is good too. (I used both- they're perfect). Goodluck!
Snell's is the recommended text for the course here. I just found Dr. Najeeb's Neuro Videos On Youtube. The Prof is a Life saver, now i know the difference between "upper and lower motor neurons" grin.....good start for me. For once, it got interesting. thanks.

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 11:01am On May 25, 2013
Lagusta:

nursing is a good and lucrative course ....

i dont know of any disadvantage relating to it....

Money must be involved grin grin grin
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 11:05am On May 25, 2013
fedico21:
Snell's is the recommended text for the course here. I just found Dr. Najeeb's Neuro Videos On Youtube. The Prof is a Life saver, now i know the difference between "upper and lower motor neurons" grin.....good start for me. For once, it got interesting. thanks.

Youtube is cool. I always thought I knew how to examine a mass until I watched a perfect way to examine a mass on Youtube.
Anyhow you wan do am, get Neuro out of the way grin
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DBestDoc(f): 12:03pm On May 25, 2013
fedico21: [/b]

Neuroanatomy hmm...the same happened to me the first day i tried studying Neuro on my on,nothing made sense.i had to stop and go to bed cos i felt so miserable.
Doctor Najeeb lectures did the trick for me.made it so easy to understand,i mean very very easy.

i suggest you try it,then study your text afterwards.It will flow wella grin

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 12:38pm On May 25, 2013
@fedico, they nailed it already for you.
Never under-estimate the power of those videos.
I have also turned towards Kaplan Videos in Pharmacology.
At least, i'm now getting something. Those videos are life-savers.
Didn't have much problems with neuroanatomy, though...it was quite interesting.
God bless my professor. kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 12:45pm On May 25, 2013
[quote author=D_BestDoc]

Neuroanatomy hmm...the same happened to me the first day i tried studying Neuro on my on,nothing made sense.i had to stop and go to bed cos i felt so miserable.
Doctor Najeeb lectures did the trick for me.made it so easy to understand,i mean very very easy.

i suggest you try it,then study your text afterwards.It will flow wella grin[
I already downloaded over 10 grin........ Snell's got simpler. I have exam on it in less than 2weeks, i hope to finish. Thanks. Can anyone in the house help with a sample of Nigerian mbbs past exam questions? 1st part.I hear its pretty tough, and almost.....not clinically oriented like we have it here.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 12:54pm On May 25, 2013
alutacontinua: @fedico, they nailed it already for you.
Never under-estimate the power of those videos.
I have also turned towards Kaplan Videos in Pharmacology.
At least, i'm now getting something. Those videos are life-savers.
Didn't have much problems with neuroanatomy, though...it was quite interesting.
God bless my professor. kiss kiss kiss kiss

I think my problem is with the Canadian professor, a neurosurgeon but hardly relates clinically in lectures, he expects you to know 70percent prior to the topic. I've got the magic, so so ready for him grin. but his videos are overly long but interesting. thanks
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Toluk1(f): 9:27pm On May 25, 2013
[quote
author=Amb Fitsaint]Got 283 in jamb, thinking of choosing UI as 2nd
choice for medicine while OAU remains d first choice as a predite dia.
Is dat a nice decision? thnks[/quote]very nice 2 me. UI accepts 2nd choice o. i'm a 100l uite. medicine.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Toluk1(f): 9:39pm On May 25, 2013
buzyguy: My score 245 ma,i dnt knw if may leav it 4oau
me i tink u can choose UI. i got in last year wit 250 and i heard dis year's jamb was worse dan last year's so i tink u got a high chance. bt b4 u make any decision tink and pray well o.and don't choose 1 skul 4 both 1st and 2nd choice.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by AmbFitsaint(m): 2:25am On May 26, 2013
Tolu k: very nice 2 me. UI accepts 2nd choice o. i'm a 100l uite. medicine.
Thanks for dat Dr Tolu.. I am grateful for dis

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by postulate321(m): 7:56am On May 26, 2013
Hi to every pansite,med docs,nurses,lab scientist and all aspirants. Please can i be offered admittion with 202 to study Pharmacy in Unijos?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jjagz: 8:39am On May 26, 2013
lomaxx:

Indian prof V.V.P.P Rao
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by kemzyAjaks(f): 2:34pm On May 26, 2013
[quote
author=D_BestDoc]I go with Biochemistry.
I don't advice people to opt for basic medical sciences like Anatomy and
Physiology,you gain a great deal of knowledge about the structure and
function of the Human body but their markettability isn't encouraging
especially in Nigeria.Some of them Anatomy graduates compete for slots
for bank jobs these days.

My opinion though![/quote] my thought too...
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 3:12pm On May 26, 2013
jjagz: Indian prof V.V.P.P Rao

grin grin grin
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 4:17pm On May 26, 2013
I pray I join ur club soon amen
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by tayyibb(m): 6:01pm On May 26, 2013
yaksnet: I pray I join ur club soon amen
AMIINA
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by tayyibb(m): 6:02pm On May 26, 2013
yaksnet: I pray I join ur club soon amen
AMIINA
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 8:23pm On May 26, 2013
Difference between haemochromatosis and haemosiderosis?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 8:25pm On May 26, 2013
Causes of unilateral leg swelling?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 8:25pm On May 26, 2013
Risk factors for stroke?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 8:29pm On May 26, 2013
lower urinary tract symptoms?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 8:29pm On May 26, 2013
indications for prostatectomy?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 8:39pm On May 26, 2013
diagnosis?

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 11:19am On May 27, 2013
[b][/b]
lomaxx: lower urinary tract symptoms?
symptoms of cystitis include
1. strong urge to urinate that cannot be delayed
2. sharp pain or burning sensation in the urethra when the urine is released
3. Urine may be blood stained (not in all cases)
4. The urge to urinate recurs quickly and soreness may occur in the lower abdomen, back, or sides. yet to take pathology though.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 11:24am On May 27, 2013
Answer With clinical reason;
1.Following hemisection of the spinal cord at the level of approximately
T3, a patient experiences loss of pain and temperature on the left
side of the leg. Which of the following tracts was affected by the hemisection
of the cord that could account for this deficit?
a. Right fasciculus cuneatus
b. Right fasciculus gracilis
c. Right spinothalamic tract
d. Left spinothalamic tract
e. Left corticospinal tract

2. A 35-year-old man injured his thoracic spine in a motor vehicle accident
2 years ago. Initially he had a bilateral spastic paraparesis and urinary
urgency, but this has improved. He still has pain and thermal sensation loss
on part of his left body and proprioception loss in his right foot. There is
still a paralysis of the right lower extremity as well.

This patient has which spinal cord condition
a. Brown-Séquard (hemisection) syndrome
b. Complete transection
c. Posterior column syndrome
d. Syringomyelic syndrome
e. Tabetic syndrome

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (908) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.