Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,553 members, 7,861,623 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 03:39 PM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (61) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1865346 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) ... (908) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 3:29pm On May 27, 2013
o boy see questions!!!! i don diieeeee!!!!!

*goes to the bush to read*
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 5:01pm On May 27, 2013
Lagusta: o boy see questions!!!! i don diieeeee!!!!!

*goes to the bush to read*

lol. this is the sorta preclinical questions i get in my school exams. was wondering what mmbs feels like. Are they direct questions??
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by labodinho: 7:06pm On May 27, 2013
Helo,plz any Dr shuld help me out here.Frm ma findings i got this when studying.Is there any biochemistry test that can be carried out to detect METHEMOGLOBINEAMIA(Blue Baby Syndrome) in baby's?? If Yes,discuss dat.What's the effect and duration of living(If i'm right bout dah) of baby with HYPOXIA....I'm noh ah Dr yet sir's n ma's.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Androstyn: 8:51pm On May 27, 2013
fedico21: Answer With clinical reason;
1.Following hemisection of the spinal cord at the level of approximately
T3, a patient experiences loss of pain and temperature on the left
side of the leg. Which of the following tracts was affected by the hemisection
of the cord that could account for this deficit?
a. Right fasciculus cuneatus
b. Right fasciculus gracilis
c. Right spinothalamic tract
d. Left spinothalamic tract
e. Left corticospinal tract

2. A 35-year-old man injured his thoracic spine in a motor vehicle accident
2 years ago. Initially he had a bilateral spastic paraparesis and urinary
urgency, but this has improved. He still has pain and thermal sensation loss
on part of his left body and proprioception loss in his right foot. There is
still a paralysis of the right lower extremity as well.

This patient has which spinal cord condition
a. Brown-Séquard (hemisection) syndrome
b. Complete transection
c. Posterior column syndrome
d. Syringomyelic syndrome
e. Tabetic syndrome
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Androstyn: 8:55pm On May 27, 2013
the answer to one is left corticospinal tract the corticospinal tract decussates at the cerebellomedullary junction c one atfter c one injury causes ipsilateral damage because the tract no longer decussates
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Androstyn: 9:10pm On May 27, 2013
its right spinothalamic tract
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 9:14pm On May 27, 2013
Androstyn: the answer to one is left corticospinal tract the corticospinal tract decussates at the cerebellomedullary junction c one atfter c one injury causes ipsilateral damage because the tract no longer decussates

Corticospinal tract is a motor tract (descending tract). It cant possibly carry sensations of pain and temperature since the lesion affected the pain and temperature pathway (an ascending tract). review the question. thanks.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 9:17pm On May 27, 2013
Androstyn: its right spinothalamic tract
You have to back up your answer with a strong clinical reason, just like every good medical student/ doctor. grin
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Androstyn: 6:09am On May 28, 2013
the spinothalamic tract decussates at spinal level which in adult dends at l one this tract carries pain and temperature if the right spinothalamic tract is affected before decussation it would affect the left side of the body
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jjagz: 7:03am On May 28, 2013
lomaxx:

grin grin grin

CHS UniUyo
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Androstyn: 12:40pm On May 28, 2013
pls how do i get dr najeebs lectures
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:53pm On May 28, 2013
[b][/b]
Androstyn: pls how do i get dr najeebs lectures
Type the same name on youtube....
Example.
'Dr. Najeeb ascending tract' .
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 10:31am On May 29, 2013
@fedico 21
I think the answer is the right spinothalamic tract cos it carries pain and thermal sensation of the opposite side of the body after it crosses over at the posterior horn as the second order neurone

the second should be Brown Sequard syndrome since its an industrial
ipsilateral loss in the dorsal column lemniscus and contralateral loss in the spinothalamic pathway
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Afeisume: 11:06am On May 29, 2013
Amb Fitsaint: Thanks for dat Dr Tolu.. I am grateful for dis
dr. Tolu aw cn i contact u 4 info on u.i
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 11:59am On May 29, 2013
Medicos, It has been a long time.
Greetings frm OAU!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 6:55pm On May 29, 2013
[B]ARE WE TRULY IN A DEMOCARTIC REPUBLIC?[/B]

Waking up to the dawn of the bright day, as a happy but sad man, behold, it is the much acclaimed democracy anniversary. Thinking widely about the situation of things after 14 years of continuous democracy rule, I was left weeping for Nigeria.
The great philosopher, Plato, in his still provocative ‘republic’, a book he wrote in between 350BC-320BC proposed that there are five types of government: aristocracy(rule by the ‘best’ i.e. by experts who are specially trained in governance), timarchy(rule by those guided by their courage and sense of honor),oligarchy(rule by the wealthy minority),democracy(rule by the people as a whole-a ‘mob’ as Plato saw ) and tyranny(rule by a despot answerable to no one but himself).
Plato saw democracy as a rule by the mob, the masses, and the people. Democracy is as old as writing with ink. Thanks to the early Greeks who started it. The Greek word ‘demos’ means ‘people’ and ‘kraits’ which means ‘rule by’ together form the word democracy which means ‘rule by the people’. But the world is more familiar with Abraham Lincoln’s definition of democracy as the government of the people by the people and for the people. So looking at it from the angle above, a rhetoric question sets in-are we really a democracy?
Nigeria is a country with a history of electoral fraud and malpractices. It is not as incontrovertible fact that Nigeria has never witnessed a truly fair and credible election since independence except the annulled June 12 1993 general elections. Even the Jegastic 2011 elections that was said to have been free and fair had a lot of fraudulent acts .The beauty of democracy is that it emphasizes the power of the individual ballot, from the national level to the family level, we decide our rulers by our own hands. I am talking of the true democracy where the ballot is supreme.
In most fine democracies of the world, the tree of democracy keep blossoming as the years passes by. This is not so in Nigeria, since our pre- independence elections in 1959 till this present minute that I am writing this note; our situation has grown more pathetic from little election errors of some few cases of double voting to rigging of elections. We have been in a system where figures are simply manufactured, configured and announced as election results. A country where an incumbent president can decide that it is Mr. X that will succeed him when he leaves and the Mr. X eventually wins the primaries and the general elections even when not loved by the masses. Is that the democracy? I can boldly say it that, In Nigeria, we only thumbprint, we do not vote! The ones voting are in ASO ROCK. When we see things happening, we get surprised forgetting that our leaders are just in charge of everything. The nation has gone bad, no light, no water, no free basic education as supposed (thanks to governments such as that of Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola that has ensured this),no good road, people are dying due to lack of good hospitals in the rural areas yet our leaders keep building Multimillion houses, their children keep leaving the country for schools like Harvard and Oxford, they keep going to the Middle East and the most beautiful islands in the Caribbean for vacations, they keep going to the best hospitals in Europe to get treated for mere malaria! Have they forgotten the law of karma? Doesn’t matter if they have,their children’s children shall reap it for all I care.
Nepotism has become the toll of the day. Ministerial posts and other posts are now for sons and daughters of past rulers!
For the past 14years of democracy, we have witnessed more harm than good. The much hyped ‘dividends of democracy’ as wanted by our past heroes during independence campaigns has not yet been enjoyed. Our leaders especially at the federal level take decisions not counting the people as the main factor of governance. Even the senate in recent years takes decisions without the consideration of the masses. It is certainly disheartening that even with exception of the masses from their decision levels, politicians are not also left out ,as those who are not loyal to the so called ”PARTY OF THE DAY” are always at the verge of political crucification and persecution, most recent of such disturbing events is the AMAECHI-JONATHAN-PDP saga. A mere party disagreement has now emanated into a full fraca, with the unfortunate Amaechi being the article of ridicule. When even the masses cannot boast of a civilian democracy, the politicians who are meant to be “primus inter pares” are not spared by this disheartening craziness called “DEMOCRACY”.
Even with all this they say half-heartedly,” we the youths are the future of tomorrow”, but could this be so? When we have men in their 40’s and 50’s being YOUTH LEADERS in our so called democracy. But we live on hopes that one day all these would become a thing of the past, where we would be spared the headache of “democrazy”, and practice true, free and realistic democracy. Where our voted would count and be accounted for, where children would know while growing up that they are future leaders and not mere political animals and touts. Where men of 40’s and 50’s would not be regarded as youth leaders but mentors. Where nepotism, tribalism, favoritism and persecutions would not be the order of the day. Where one can stand before any group and boast of a free nation!
A big thanks to few of the present day leaders who have brought true meaning to governance and politics, people who are not letting the loyalty to their parties and supporters come over their people. Leaders like His Excellency, Hon. Babatunde Fashola, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, Comrade Adams Oshiomole, Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon, Hon. Rochas Okorochas and the few more. May God bless them all. They are who they are because they do not act like animals, as other leaders do!
A hope surely we have, that one day, things would get better! One day, Nigeria will become a real democratic nation…How can this happen? Through your prayers and mine, and through our full involvement in human rights activity. When most youths hear you say ‘I wanna be a politician’, the first thing they say is ‘do you want to die’? WHY? Because they are afraid of the political system of the nation...It isn’t their fault at all, but the situation of things in the country. The future of the nation are afraid of the nation, then how can the nation progress?
This is a call on all Nigerian Youths to aspire for the nation, to prepare to take the nation to the higher heights the leaders of today can’t take us to!
In unity, we can make NIGERIA a better place. GOD BLESS NIGERIA!!!
Happy democracy day Nigerians.
HESJAY

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Toluk1(f): 9:56pm On May 29, 2013
Afeisume: dr. Tolu aw cn i contact u 4 info on u.i
just call me Tolu www.facebook.com/tolu4christ
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by fame12k(m): 11:06pm On May 29, 2013
are u in need of MEDICAL DISSECTING SET at an affordable price? Call or Wasapp me @ 08054790500.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 11:21pm On May 29, 2013
[/b]
joeydozzy: @[b]fedico 21
I think the answer is the right spinothalamic tract cos it carries pain and thermal sensation of the opposite side of the body after it crosses over at the posterior horn as the second order neurone

the second should be Brown Sequard syndrome since its an industrial
ipsilateral loss in the dorsal column lemniscus and contralateral loss in the spinothalamic pathway

Great work smiley, i like your explainations, you will sure help me trash more. ........
but you forgot to add the clinical idea behind his paralysis.

Brown-Séquard syndrome is associated with lateral hemisection of the spinal cord resulting to both paralysis and anaesthsia.

it interrupts
1. lateral corticospinal tracts (ipsilaterally below the level of lesion), resulting to spastic paralysis below the level of lesion

2. posterior white column, leading to Ipsilateral loss of tactile discrimination, vibratory, and position sensation below the level of the lesion

3. Interruption of lateral spinothalamic tracts leading to contralateral loss of pain and temperature sensation one or two segments below the level of the lesion.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 11:30pm On May 29, 2013
lol I've forgotten most parts in that. Still surprised I remembered a little.
Thanks for reviving my memory
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by fame12k(m): 11:49pm On May 29, 2013
Buy your medical stethoscope for just 5k, call or wasapp 08054790500
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 2:03am On May 30, 2013
joeydozzy: lol I've forgotten most parts in that. Still surprised I remembered a little.
Thanks for reviving my memory
You didn't do bad at all. Are you in practice already?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 2:35am On May 30, 2013
fedico21:
You didn't do bad at all. Are you in practice already?

Still in clinicals
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 9:26am On May 30, 2013
Do we have laboratory scientists here. Let us have some convo
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 9:36am On May 30, 2013
labodinho: Helo,plz any Dr shuld help me out here.Frm ma findings i got this when studying.Is there any biochemistry test that can be carried out to detect METHEMOGLOBINEAMIA(Blue Baby Syndrome) in baby's?? If Yes,discuss dat.What's the effect and duration of living(If i'm right bout dah) of baby with HYPOXIA....I'm noh ah Dr yet sir's n ma's.
Methaemoglobinemia is the conjugation of ferric iron with haemoglobin, so detection can done through reaction of hb with potassium ferrocyanide solution. Hypoxia can be as a result of low haemoglobin ie. Anaemia, effect is dyspnoea, can result to death since metabolic activities, brain cells, cardiac muscles and generally tissues can not survive without oxygen. It may result to lethargy, necrosis of tissues, and slowly leads to death.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 9:55am On May 30, 2013
For lab dudes which parasitic infection is associated with stearrhoea?
2. At what time do you obtain blood sample for this microfilaria worms a. Wuchereria Bancroft, brugia melayiii, loaloa, mansonella ozzardi, onchoncerca volvulus?
3.explain the principle of oral glucose tolerance test and what is renal threshold of glucose.
4. Outline stages of tissue processing in a histopathology laboratory??
5.parasitological techniques for detection of trypanosomiasis
Well this are cheap questions though?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 1:11pm On May 30, 2013
Emzybrown: For lab dudes which parasitic infection is associated with stearrhoea?

Giardiasis. Caused by Giardia lamblia. Causes steatorrhea by blocking the absorption of fat.

2. At what time do you obtain blood sample for this microfilaria worms a. Wuchereria Bancroft, brugia melayiii, loaloa, mansonella ozzardi, onchoncerca volvulus?

Microfilaria appear intermittently in the peripheral circulation. The blood should be examined at different intervals over a 24-hour period to achieve the best chances of detection. Bancroftian and brugian filariasis tend to show nocturnal periodicity, so it is recommended that samples be collected between 10:00 pm and 2:00 am.

3.explain the principle of oral glucose tolerance test and what is renal threshold of glucose.

Normally, insulin maintains blood glucose within a normal range following an oral glucose load. Failure of insulin secretion, or resistance to insulin action, will result in an elevation in blood glucose.

Renal threshold of glucose = 160 - 180mg/dl

4. Outline stages of tissue processing in a histopathology laboratory??
They include:
*Fixation - to fix cellular constituents in a physical and chemical state so they would withstand subsequent stages with minimal loss of tissue architecture. Formalin , evthyl alcohol is used.
*Dehydration using alcohol of increasing strength
*Clearing
*Embedding
*Cutting
*Staining

5.parasitological techniques for detection of trypanosomiasis
Well this are cheap questions though?

*Blood smear
*Haematocrit centrifugation technique for buffy coat examination
*Chancre aspirate
*Lumbar puncture for CSF Assay
*Bone marrow aspirate

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 1:17pm On May 30, 2013
I think Lab Medicine is cool angry angry angry
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 4:15pm On May 30, 2013
lomaxx: I think Lab Medicine is cool angry angry angry

yeah, it is!!!! i love it!!! but i love hematology more cos of its clinical correlates
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 4:51pm On May 30, 2013
lomaxx
lomaxx:

Giardiasis. Caused by Giardia lamblia. Causes steatorrhea by blocking the absorption of fat.

Microfilaria appear intermittently in the peripheral circulation. The blood should be examined at different intervals over a 24-hour period to achieve the best chances of detection. Bancroftian and brugian filariasis tend to show nocturnal periodicity, so it is recommended that samples be collected between 10:00 pm and 2:00 am.

Normally, insulin maintains blood glucose within a normal range following an oral glucose load. Failure of insulin secretion, or resistance to insulin action, will result in an elevation in blood glucose.

They include:
*Fixation - to fix cellular constituents in a physical and chemical state so they would withstand subsequent stages with minimal loss of tissue architecture. Formalin , evthyl alcohol is used.
*Clearing
*Embedding
*Cutting
*Staining

*Blood smear
*Chancre aspirate
*Bone marrow aspirate
lomaxx:

Microfilaria appear intermittently in the peripheral circulation. The blood should be examined at different intervals over a 24-hour period to achieve the best chances of detection. Bancroftian and brugian filariasis tend to show nocturnal periodicity, so [b] it is recommended that samples be collected between 10:00 pm and 2:00 am.

They include:
*Clearing
*Embedding
*Cutting
*Staining

*Blood smear
*Chancre aspirate
*Bone marrow aspirate
[/b]
lomaxx:

They include:
*Clearing
*Embedding
*Cutting
*Staining

*Blood smear
*Chancre aspirate
*Bone marrow aspirate
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 4:51pm On May 30, 2013
lomaxx
lomaxx:

They include:
*Clearing
*Embedding
*Cutting
*Staining

*Blood smear
*Chancre aspirate
*Bone marrow aspirate
lomaxx:

Microfilaria appear intermittently in the peripheral circulation. The blood should be examined at different intervals over a 24-hour period to achieve the best chances of detection. Bancroftian and brugian filariasis tend to show nocturnal periodicity, so [b] it is recommended that samples be collected between 10:00 pm and 2:00 am.

They include:
*Clearing
*Embedding
*Cutting
*Staining

*Blood smear
*Chancre aspirate
*Bone marrow aspirate
[/b]
lomaxx:

They include:
*Clearing
*Embedding
*Cutting
*Staining

*Blood smear
*Chancre aspirate
*Bone marrow aspirate
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ese79(m): 10:44pm On May 30, 2013
alutacontinua:

Have you seen the results of people writing the CBT exams? We're talking OAU here, not some other school. 245 is low, trust me...unless he has an oga @ the top.
ya, d results of d cbt is relatively higher dan ppt bt d numba of ppt candidate is lyk 20 times greata dan d cbt cand. and out of d 75k + dat sit 4 d cbt, lyk 50% scored below 240 so dat means its only lyk 20k candidates scored abov 240. Divide dat 20k by d number of unis in 9ja and u wil find out dat its just lyk 10 mbbs cbt aspirant have a higher scor dan u. Sumarily, am sayin d cbt candidates ar almost insignificant due to their relatively very low numbers. So u stil av hope k. U 240+ is fair

(1) (2) (3) ... (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) ... (908) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.