Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,795 members, 7,810,066 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:52 PM

What Are The Differences Between Worship And Praise? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Are The Differences Between Worship And Praise? (12877 Views)

Praise/worship Songs In Your Language / Five Days Of Pastor’s Conference -bible Teaching, Worship And Fellowship! / Mary Worship And The Immaculate Deception! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Differences Between Worship And Praise? by Sirnokiopee(m): 2:41am On Oct 08, 2012
Worship is an act of religious devotion usually directed towards a deity. The word is derived from the Old English worthscipe, meaning worthiness or worth-ship — to give, at its simplest, worth to something.[1]

Worship in Christianity : Adoration versus veneration ,
In the New Testament various words are used for worship. The word proskuneo "to worship" means to bow down to Gods or kings, Roman Catholicism, Anglicanism, Oriental Orthodoxy, and Eastern Orthodoxy make a technical distinction between adoration or latria (Latin adoratio, Greek latreia, [λατρεια]), which is due to God alone.The church service is the gathering together of Christians to be taught the "Word of God" (the Christian Bible) and encouraged in their faith. Technically, the "church" in "church service" refers to the gathering of the faithful rather than to the building in which it takes place.The first miracle of the Apostles, the healing of the crippled man on the temple steps, occurred because Peter and John went to the Temple to pray (Acts 3:1). Since the Apostles were originally Jews, the concept of fixed hours for services, and services therefore which differed from weekday to Sabbath to holy day, were familiar to them. therefore there are no concrete evidence of proof/mode of worship in christanity by JESUS.

Veneration, known as dulia in classical theology, is the honor due to the excellence of a created person. This refers to the excellence exhibited by the created being who likewise deserves recognition and honor.

Worship in Islam

In Islam, worship refers to ritualistic devotion which is ordained by and pleasing to Allah (God). Worship is included in the Five Pillars of Islam, primarily that of salat, which is the practice of ritual prayer five times daily.

the innermost purpose of the creation of all rational beings is their cognition of the existence of Allah and, hence, their conscious willingness to conform their own existence to whatever they may perceive of His will and plan: and it is this two fold concept of cognition and willingness that gives the deepest meaning to what the Quran describes as "worship", this spiritual call does not arise from any supposed "need" on the part of the Creator, who is self-sufficient and infinite in His power, but is designed as an instrument for the inner development of the worshiper, who, by the act of his conscious self-surrender to the all-pervading Creative Will, may hope to come closer to an understanding of that Will and, thus closer to Allah Himself

my conclusion is that the christian religion is based on veneration and not worship. Christians are good at venerating Jesus Christ A CREATED BEING. because they don't have a DIRECT proof/evidence of how to worship from their creator... Note Christian means followers of Christ.... Do Christ ever worship? don't gimme the crap that his God or son of God. Because he was never quoted saying so. highest ... i am the way the light ... no one get to the father except through me. quot another one. and i will really wanna know where the concept of church came from ... how they come about their church service and activity... 90% are not from the bible. only tight abi na loose dey for bible.

More coming your way ... when i wake up (God's willing) tommorow. feeling sleepy now

1 Like

Re: What Are The Differences Between Worship And Praise? by Johnchike(m): 7:26am On Oct 08, 2012
Sirnokiopee: Since the Apostles were originally Jews, the concept of fixed hours for services, and services therefore which differed from weekday to Sabbath to holy day, were familiar to them. therefore there are no concrete evidence of proof/mode of worship in christanity by JESUS.

my conclusion is that the christian religion is based on veneration and not worship. Christians are good at venerating Jesus Christ A CREATED BEING. because they don't have a DIRECT proof/evidence of how to worship from their creator... Note Christian means followers of Christ.... Do Christ ever worship? don't gimme the crap that his God or son of God. Because he was never quoted saying so. highest ... i am the way the light ... no one get to the father except through me. quot another one. and i will really wanna know where the concept of church came from ... how they come about their church service and activity... 90% are not from the bible. only tight abi na loose dey for bible.

More coming your way ... when i wake up (God's willing) tommorow. feeling sleepy now
I wouldn't write much again about the glorious divinity of Jesus Christ. If you have a bible, just read Hebrews 1:4-14, colossians 1:15, John 1:1-18, John 5:23, Isaiah 9:6-7, i doubt if you will ever read them, but that's your business. It is silly for you to post such errors about the origin of the church.

In Matthew 16:18-19 Jesus told Peter, "and so i tell you, Peter: you are a rock, and on this rock foundation I will build my church, and not even death will ever be able to overcome it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; what you prohibit on earth will be prohibited in heaven and what you permit on earth will be permitted in heaven." there was a temple already, and the temple and/or synagogue had people that worshipped God, even Jesus taught there, but He felt a need to build a new church(faithful people) that will correct and strenghten the faith of others. In John 14:6 Jesus said "I am the way". In Acts 9:2 Peter and his fellow disciples were members of the new church and were referred to as 'followers of the Way'. In Acts 11:26 the church expanded, Paul met with the people of the church and taught a large group. It was at Antioch that the believers were first called Christians.
In Acts 12:5 Herod put Peter in jail, but 'the people of the church' were praying earnestly to God for him, and peter was released by an angel of God. The church continued spreading forever, in 101 AD, St. Ignatius of antioch gave this 'church' a name. He called them 'Catholic'. It was Holy, Apostolic, Universal. This Church does three things when they meet, 1. They PRAISE God(worship, adoration), 2. Liturgy of the Word(Scripture, gospel), 3. Liturgy of the Holy Communion(Body of Christ)

1 Like

Re: What Are The Differences Between Worship And Praise? by Nobody: 9:21am On Oct 08, 2012
@Johnchike In your post you claim that Jesus is "also" God then please how many Gods do you beleive in?
Re: What Are The Differences Between Worship And Praise? by icydon: 10:33am On Oct 08, 2012
Worship is believing in d spirit and adoring him while praising means appreciating the lords doings and showing kindness to his mercy.
Re: What Are The Differences Between Worship And Praise? by Sirnokiopee(m): 11:50am On Oct 08, 2012
Johnchike:
I wouldn't write much again about the glorious divinity of Jesus Christ. If you have a bible, just read Hebrews 1:4-14, colossians 1:15, John 1:1-18, John 5:23, Isaiah 9:6-7, i doubt if you will ever read them, but that's your business. It is silly for you to post such errors about the origin of the church.

In Matthew 16:18-19 Jesus told Peter, "and so i tell you, Peter: you are a rock, and on this rock foundation I will build my church, and not even death will ever be able to overcome it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; what you prohibit on earth will be prohibited in heaven and what you permit on earth will be permitted in heaven." there was a temple already, and the temple and/or synagogue had people that worshipped God, even Jesus taught there, but He felt a need to build a new church(faithful people) that will correct and strenghten the faith of others. In John 14:6 Jesus said "I am the way". In Acts 9:2 Peter and his fellow disciples were members of the new church and were referred to as 'followers of the Way'. In Acts 11:26 the church expanded, Paul met with the people of the church and taught a large group. It was at Antioch that the believers were first called Christians.

In Acts 12:5 Herod put Peter in jail, but 'the people of the church' were praying earnestly to God for him, and peter was released by an angel of God. The church continued spreading forever, in 101 AD, St. Ignatius of antioch gave this 'church' a name. He called them 'Catholic'. It was Holy, Apostolic, Universal. This Church does three things when they meet, 1. They PRAISE God(worship, adoration), 2. Liturgy of the Word(Scripture, gospel), 3. Liturgy of the Holy Communion(Body of Christ)

i angry with you ... all my post was from internet,thank you for in depth explanation and the mature way you analyse my point without abuse and hate words... but seriously the Act called worship should be really address by Christians . there must be line drawn between worship,praise,prayers and singing. must every worship act be inform of singing(either slow,RnB or any genre of music) how did jesus worship? and if his God or Son of God ... how did the disciples worship during and after Christ.
Re: What Are The Differences Between Worship And Praise? by Mfap25: 2:42pm On Oct 08, 2012
Praise thanks God for what He has done, while worship is adoring God for who He is.
Re: What Are The Differences Between Worship And Praise? by carzim(m): 2:55pm On Oct 08, 2012
1) jesus was not sent to the whole world but he was only sent to the lost sheep of isreal (matthew 15:24 confirmed it)
2) nowhere in the bible where jesus said we should worship any other thing/person aside the father who sent him and the father means God not biological father as u think (matthew 6:9 confirmed it where jesus said we should pray this way "our father who art heaven"
Re: What Are The Differences Between Worship And Praise? by Image123(m): 9:04pm On Oct 08, 2012
draw me nearer, nearer Blessed Lord, is it praise or worship?
Re: What Are The Differences Between Worship And Praise? by Thok(m): 10:28pm On Oct 08, 2012
In Praise, U tend Sing songs of Praises of His Mighty power and acts. In worship, U feel His prescence more 'cos U reverence him by 'Keying to The Spirit'.
Re: What Are The Differences Between Worship And Praise? by Ubenedictus(m): 6:33am On Oct 09, 2012
Johnchike:

on point!
Re: What Are The Differences Between Worship And Praise? by Awagbiji: 9:43am On Oct 09, 2012
Good topic though many people may not appreciate this since it look so simple and common word.
Worship and praise are different.
Just like the word God and lord.
You worship God almighty but you can praise anything including God.
There is a way of worship but many ways of praise.
Place to worship is specific while praise can be anywhere.
Worship is compulsory but is voluntary.
These depend on your religion.
Re: What Are The Differences Between Worship And Praise? by ayobase(m): 1:35am On Oct 10, 2012
Image123: draw me nearer, nearer Blessed Lord, is it praise or worship?

Confession!
Re: What Are The Differences Between Worship And Praise? by ayobase(m): 1:37am On Oct 10, 2012
Awagbiji: Good topic though many people may not appreciate this since it look so simple and common word.
Worship and praise are different.
Just like the word God and lord.
You worship God almighty but you can praise anything including God.
There is a way of worship but many ways of praise.
Place to worship is specific while praise can be anywhere.
Worship is compulsory but is voluntary.
These depend on your religion.
Re: What Are The Differences Between Worship And Praise? by Image123(m): 11:49am On Oct 10, 2012
ayobase:

Confession!
is it okay to sing it during praise or worship?
Re: What Are The Differences Between Worship And Praise? by ayobase(m): 1:27am On Oct 11, 2012
Image123:
is it okay to sing it during praise or worship?

Maybe one can chip it in where appropriate during praise or worship.
@@just saying@@
Lets hear what pple gat to say abt it!

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Top 5 Most Influential Men Of God In Nigeria / An interesting story of a one way journey,a life jacket and a river.A must read / The First Muslim Lollipop Lady In Birmingham! (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.