Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,785 members, 7,817,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:51 AM

Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC (13839 Views)

Ambode Inaugurates Olanrewaju Adigun-Fagbohun VC Of LASU (photos) / Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois / Prof Ilesanmi Adeshida Named As VC / Provost Of Univ Of Illnois, Urbana (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by Afam4eva(m): 2:32pm On Sep 17, 2012
Kobojunkie:
huh? The last VC Academic Affairs was him?
Yeah, i saw a thread about his appointment some months back.
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by Kobojunkie: 2:35pm On Sep 17, 2012
afam4eva:
He was the VC of Academic Affairs but just became the general VC recently. At least that's what the article says.

No, He is still the VC of Academic Affairs. This article even says that. He was the Dean of Engineering before this. And I don't think this appointment is as recent as it is being made here in this article.
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by Kobojunkie: 2:39pm On Sep 17, 2012
afam4eva:
Yeah, i saw a thread about his appointment some months back.

He is still the VC Academic Affairs at UI-Champaign. The guy before him was also a black dude. Heck, a good number of the Officials at UI(Chicago, Urbana, Springfield) happen to be black. I think it is an Illinois thing.
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by Desola(f): 2:40pm On Sep 17, 2012
What's all this jubilation for now? The man is a professor of Engineering yet Naija can't boast of a bridge or anything engineering in nature to advance the country or the world at large and we are rejoicing at another of our brains being drained by the west.

His achievement is only for him and his family and America at large. How does this impact on Africa or even Nigeria?

Oshisko.

But for what it's worth sha, it shows that Yorubas get brain, kilode? grin

2 Likes

Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by hardniola(m): 2:46pm On Sep 17, 2012
this girl DESOLa is full charge today oooooooo
slipting fire
iya (moremi)heheheh.
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by RickyRoss1(m): 2:52pm On Sep 17, 2012
fstranger:

1.) Dude you went to FUTA . . . How many successful people go/went to FUTA? Zilch. You are just another one of the many losers from the FUTA warehouse

2.) You cant even write well? Dude, what else do we need to know you are big time failure?

3.) And you seem to always try to validate yourself via other people's achievements, especially people far remote from you. That doesnt necessarily scream success or does it? You are failure. You will always be, Deal with it FUTA boy!

WORD
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by 2mch(m): 3:03pm On Sep 17, 2012
Nigerian's need to go and prostrate and beg him to come and oversee electricity in Nigeria. tongue. shocked shocked shocked. The guy is well achieved in the Electrical Engineering field. shocked shocked shocked cry
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by Akanbiedu(m): 3:14pm On Sep 17, 2012
2mch: Nigerian's need to go and prostrate and beg him to come and oversee electricity in Nigeria. tongue. shocked shocked shocked. The guy is well achieved in the Electrical Engineering field. shocked shocked shocked cry

Damn wrong. Chances of his success in that place is less than 5%.

#seriously, we need to update our definition of being Nigerian.
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by 2mch(m): 3:16pm On Sep 17, 2012
Akanbi_edu:

Damn wrong. Chances of his success in that place is less than 5%.

#seriously, we need to update our definition of being Nigerian.

He is the best man for the job that we have at the moment. Am sure if they give it to him he will do well. Someone in his position will not let PHCN fools escape that easily. undecided. His whole academic experience has been abroad and it has been through hardwork, not connection or shady experience and degrees.
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by nku5: 3:18pm On Sep 17, 2012
Under which government d man go work? Dem no go allow am do d job.

2mch: Nigerian's need to go and prostrate and beg him to come and oversee electricity in Nigeria. tongue. shocked shocked shocked. The guy is well achieved in the Electrical Engineering field. shocked shocked shocked cry
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by Afam4eva(m): 3:19pm On Sep 17, 2012
2mch:

He is the best man for the job that we have at the moment. Am sure if they give it to him he will do well. Someone in his position will not let PHCN fools escape that easily. undecided. His whole academic experience has been abroad and it has been through hardwork, not connection or shady experience and degrees.
He's the best man for the job. You know that how? You guys just keep making astronomical statements that you can't back up with facts. Take it easy bro.

Though i think he'll do very well if brought in.
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by 2mch(m): 3:21pm On Sep 17, 2012
afam4eva:
He's the best man for the job. You know that how? You guys just keep making astronomical statements that you can't back up with facts. Take it easy bro.

Though i think he'll do very well if brought in.

Look, if you cannot think and you dont have anything to contribute or say, JA! Dont try to use my post to make your dumb unintelligible brain seem intelligent.

He is the best man for the job. He has both Academic and research experience, and will not be in that position if he lacked integrity or leadership skills. He will be able to revamp and upgrade our electricity problems.
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by Afam4eva(m): 3:23pm On Sep 17, 2012
2mch:

Look, if you cannot think and you dont have anything to contribute or say, JA!

He is the best man for the job. He has both Academic and research experience. He will be able to revamp and upgrade our electricity problems.
You could have just stuck with the blued letter rather than the red because you can't prove anything. Stop sounding like an illiterate and speak with wisdom.

1 Like

Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by 2mch(m): 3:26pm On Sep 17, 2012
afam4eva:
You could have just stuck with the blued letter rather than the red because you can't prove anything. Stop sounding like an illiterate and speak with wisdom.

Look, go and farm. You had nothing to say and still you have nothing to say. You are best to remain a Foo*l. It is not my fault that the nerves in your brain are disconnected that you need me to spell out the obvious for you. You have mental problems. grin. Keep hanging on my posts. You go quench last.
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by Afam4eva(m): 3:28pm On Sep 17, 2012
2mch:

Look, go and farm. You had nothing to say and still you have nothing to say. You are best to remain a Foo*l. It is not my fault that the nerves in your brain are disconnected that you need me to spell out the obvious for you. You have mental problems. grin. Keep hanging on my posts. You go quench last.
Soothe yourself...i was only trying to educate and tame you but it seems people like you don't learn.
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by 2mch(m): 3:29pm On Sep 17, 2012
afam4eva:
Soothe yourself...i was only trying to educate and tame you but it seems people like you don't learn.

Educate me? You were clueless and you wanted a clue. I gave you, you are still talking out of bloody ignorance. If you had an opinion you would have stated it and moved along. Stop following me around. I state my opinion and move on, i dont stalk people and insult them because i am clueless, but dont want to look like i am empty brained. grin cheesy
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by Kobojunkie: 3:36pm On Sep 17, 2012

It seems Nigerians no dey learn lessons. That this man has succeeded where he is today DOES NOT mean he will succeed in Nigeria. We have tons of examples right now of why he is likely not going to succeed in Nigeria. We have examples such as the Bankoles, the Agangas, the Iwealas etc. We never tire?

What is clear is that in TIGHTLY-CONTROLLED environment, something we clearly don't have in Nigeria, some Nigerians are able to move past their corrupt and deceitful sides to succeed. Some do better if you put them in situations where much of the grunt work has already been done and they are required to maintain the success of what has been established. However, when you pull some of the very same Nigerian success back into raw situations like the one you have in Nigeria, they are pretty much your average Nigerian. What we need to find are those who have been able to take mud and turn it to gold.
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by Akanbiedu(m): 4:02pm On Sep 17, 2012
If you put him in Nigeria's power sector, he would out faster than he came him. Trust me. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by bittyend(m): 4:05pm On Sep 17, 2012
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by oayombo: 4:06pm On Sep 17, 2012
afam4eva:
He was the VC of Academic Affairs but just became the general VC recently. At least that's what the article says.
http://www.provost.illinois.edu/about/staff/adesida/index.html
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by omiobo: 4:06pm On Sep 17, 2012
Good
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by dayokanu(m): 4:09pm On Sep 17, 2012
dayokanu: [size=18pt]ILESANMI ADESIDA[/size]

Adesida earned his bachelor’s degree in 1974, his master’s in 1975, and his doctorate in 1979, all in electrical engineering from the University of California at Berkeley. After finishing his doctorate, he worked briefly at [b]Cornell Univ[/b]ersity and then as a university administrator in Nigeria, his native country. He joined the Illinois faculty in 1987, and became a U.S. citizen in 2002.

Adesida is a Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the American Vacuum Society, and the Optical Society of America. He is a member of the National Academy of Engineering, the Minerals, Metals and Materials Society, the Materials Research Society, and the Society for Engineering Education.

http://news.illinois.edu/news/06/0503adesida.html

I profiled this man here like 2 yrs ago. He has now been made VC

Congrats Ilesanmi

https://www.nairaland.com/567700/nigerian-academia-diaspora#7327956
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by emenim(m): 4:10pm On Sep 17, 2012
This is the greatest news of the century, and Nigerians should be proud of him
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by hammedkola(m): 4:10pm On Sep 17, 2012
slimming: He must have live there for a long time to attain such a position in a foreign land. Great for him.

If you are a genius with a good personality and commitment...Oyinbo will do anything for you.
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by miteolu(m): 4:11pm On Sep 17, 2012
GOOD PEOPLE GREAT NATION

Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by bittyend(m): 4:12pm On Sep 17, 2012
emenim: This is the greatest news of the century, and Nigerians should be proud of him

Say that again!!!
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by bamac(m): 4:12pm On Sep 17, 2012
Rossikk: @poster, did you go to school at all? What sort of illiterate headline did you post? It should be ''NIGERIAN PROFESSOR BECOMES FIRST BLACK .......'', NOT ''NIGERIA'S PROFESSOR BECOMES.....''.

I'm getting sick of folks posting illiterate, careless headlines on this NL. Go back to school if you have English problems please!!!

... D most perfect...jst watch ur bak,e fit b u 2mao.
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by Cleverley(m): 4:12pm On Sep 17, 2012
Kudos to him, wish him all the best out there. And for u guys trading insults on one another because of his tride, u better wake up and plans on how to follow-up his path.
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by Afam4eva(m): 4:12pm On Sep 17, 2012
miteolu: GOOD PEOPLE GREAT NATION
The school is not in Nigeria oo.
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by Shaw007(m): 4:13pm On Sep 17, 2012
touch_me_hard: Nairalanders sef. Look at how they've yorubalized the man's achievement. The news is about the Nigerian and not the yorubaman. Na wa oh
dont blame those gUys. . They are just trying to send a message to some ibo guys who wud not hesitate 2 tribalize a negative yoruba issue

1st it was prof oyesiku,nOW THIS MAN all in one single year!!!! These Ppl will not cease to make me proud o. . .my own dey come sOon,u guys be patient,Up NAiJA. . .we do na'n but make history cool
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by bittyend(m): 4:15pm On Sep 17, 2012
Be warned, if you don't want to get raped on this thread verbally, don't try to diminish the great achievement of this great man with your stone age and stupid rhetoric.

Exit the thread now!!
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by DAvIt0(m): 4:15pm On Sep 17, 2012
I must Comment!!!

This is Really Great.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is Oau Truly The Most Beautiful Campus In 9ja? / Imsu 2015/2016 Admission List / UNILORIN Post UTME Form 2019/2020 Is Out!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.