Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,906 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:48 PM

Sbu Career: Help. I Need Career Advice - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Sbu Career: Help. I Need Career Advice (1335 Views)

IT Career Advice Needed / Pls I Need Career Guide / Career Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sbu Career: Help. I Need Career Advice by kdog: 11:50pm On Apr 12, 2006
please i need some help. i am a managment graduate but have been involved in programming, am also currently an oracle OCP. i love IT and also business and want to do my MBA in information systems managment. please can anyone tell me what IT courses i can take now (certifications) that can enable me intergrate it with business. am also a java freak.
Re: Sbu Career: Help. I Need Career Advice by sbucareer(f): 11:24am On Apr 13, 2006

MSc.Information System Management, good choice for postgraduate course in respect to IT.

As you are good with database, this course will be easy for you with particular attention to UML. I love to work with data. Raw data is life. When you are given raw data to process and come up with information and extends it to knowledge and finally produce an Artificial Intelligence with it, men I can work 78hrs straight no stop till that intelligence data is produced.

I know you live in London, when I was enumerating intelligence something should have come into your mind. Who in this country uses intelligent data? You should know without reading further. Well if you did not remember Police, Scotland Yard, Immigration, housing, NHS, etc.

Couple with your programming skills, you will be a hot cake for these departments. Remember Java is not good for data mining. You need to learn prolog and other artificial intelligence data mining language.

I don't know if Cobol could be good but should think to some extend. Like satellite Navigator uses artificial intelligence to navigate people to their destination.

If you are into Java like I am and very serious advocate for Java then start learning architectural programming and do J2EE Sun Certified Enterprise Architect for J2EE Learn a lot about

1. Distributed systems
2. XML
3. HTML
4. Java
5. XHTML
6. SOAP
7. JAX-RCP
8. TCP/IP
9. JSP, JSF, JSTL
10. Framework i.e. strut, hibernate etc
11. Specification
12. UML design
13. System design
14. System testing and debuggin using JUnit, refactoring tool
15. Database design/implementation
16. Design Patterns

Lots of them, I have been a chief J2EE architecture for my organization for the fast 3 years. You need to work for some serious company and gain that experience.

My long time goal is to work for Sun Microsystems Inc. By the end of this year I will get there by grace of God. These are the sort of goals you set for yourself and work hard to achieving it

Good luck
Re: Sbu Career: Help. I Need Career Advice by sbucareer(f): 11:55am On Apr 13, 2006

MBA Information Systems Management, I would not know the modules they offer. It could be relating to business and management rather to information systems. I know the cultural-gap between IT and BA students will always be there.

MBA, is a powerful course for business student not necessary for IT. Because the only way business managers can understand IT managers is, to continue having a JAD (Joint Application Development) session or business meetings to discuss issues within the organization in corelation with information system management.

If you want to study IT and wanting to do MBA, you'd end up with two postgraduate qualifications because these two course complements each other in a very retrospect ways.

Re: Sbu Career: Help. I Need Career Advice by kdog: 1:25pm On Apr 13, 2006
thanks for the help. msc information systems managment, i have thot of that. but that will only make me an IT manager. i will love to be a business manager and an IT consultant.sun certified enterprise architect for j2ee that has to do with database design and implementation right. will i be able to program a database using java. will love to know what its all about. the IT modules in MBA information systems managment include

1. computer resource and information managment
2. computer and information security
3.internet managment applications
4.information systems applications
5. system design, analysis and implementation
6. database managment
7.networking and telecoms managment
Re: Sbu Career: Help. I Need Career Advice by Bossman(m): 7:08pm On Apr 13, 2006
Sun Certified Enterprise Architect (SCEE) has to do with archetecting/designing enterprise applications using Java. It's a top certification as far as java development is concerned. But, you need to get a at least the Sun Certified Java programmer (SCJP) before you can sit for it. 

Since you mentioned you like Java, I would try to lear as much about it as possible. Especially as it relates to developing enterprise web applications. To start with you will need to learn Servlets, JSP, Javabeans, Design patterns, and quite a few frameworks.

(1) (Reply)

Game Developers Corner / Programming And Politics: Existing Relationship / The Best Software To Develop Multiple Choice EXAM Question

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.