Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,449 members, 7,850,570 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 03:52 AM

Any Cure For OCD? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Any Cure For OCD? (1237 Views)

“life In Rewind” An OCD Book Review / Any Cure For Quick Discharge In Men? / Hard Curly Hair And Shaving Bumps! Any Cure? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Cure For OCD? by optimus30: 3:44pm On Sep 19, 2012
A good friend of mine has a very strong phobia 4 hiv which has affected his day to day life,according to him it all started after discussing abt hiv with his friends during his sec.,sch days(now in uni),he washes his hands like mad,gets scared when he cms across used condoms on d street cos at dat point he believes he stepped on it,he doesn't go anywhere except sch,gets freaked out when he touches anything which he cn't identify d source eg water may seem like body fluid to him unless he's convinced is nt by sme1,he washes anything he cmes bck with as a result he doesn't go out with his phone or laptop n also anything he believes he touches when he gets bck 4rm sch is also washed or cleaned,i've tried 2 mk him stop bt cn't,after much research,i discovered it cld b OCD(obsessive compulsive disorder)n so far no available drugs 4 it,with leads 2 ONE question,will he ever stop?,his a very brilliant guy,pls nid ans.Thnks
Re: Any Cure For OCD? by navygrl: 2:19pm On Sep 20, 2012
Ocd is a psychological condition. There are treatments but no cure. However from the description it does not sound like ocd. His issue is more of a lack of knowledge on how HIV spreads. Now if he were fearfull of all germs, that would be ocd. There are medications to manage the anxiety but the best course of action is education. Education on how disease spread and on the bodies immune function (without constant exposure to germs the immune system weakens and becomes easier to be infected with diseases)as well at therapy to gradually wean him out of the extreme phobia. Though the ocd will always be present.
Re: Any Cure For OCD? by optimus30: 8:05pm On Sep 20, 2012
navygrl: Ocd is a psychological condition. There are treatments but no cure. However from the description it does not sound like ocd. His issue is more of a lack of knowledge on how HIV spreads. Now if he were fearfull of all germs, that would be ocd. There are medications to manage the anxiety but the best course of action is education. Education on how disease spread and on the bodies immune function (without constant exposure to germs the immune system weakens and becomes easier to be infected with diseases)as well at therapy to gradually wean him out of the extreme phobia. Though the ocd will always be present.
Thnks alot dear bt his so aware of it(i mean d route of hiv transmission),hw fragile it is,yet he still persist
Re: Any Cure For OCD? by james1(m): 9:50pm On Sep 20, 2012
grin yabaleftism.
Re: Any Cure For OCD? by navygrl: 12:26pm On Sep 21, 2012
optimus30: Thnks alot dear bt his so aware of it(i mean d route of hiv transmission),hw fragile it is,yet he still persist
anxiety medication and therapy is all that can be done for him then
Re: Any Cure For OCD? by optimus30: 1:34pm On Sep 21, 2012
navygrl: anxiety medication and therapy is all that can be done for him then
Thnks,guess d challange nw is getting a good therapist

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Drugs/foods I Can Take/eat That Will Make Me Add Weight. / What Could Be The Cause And Solution Of 'delayed Ejaculation' / US Doctor Infected With Ebola To Be Released From Hospital Soon (PICTURED)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.