Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:31 PM

The Trinity—does The Bible Teach It? (part 1) - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Trinity—does The Bible Teach It? (part 1) (3226 Views)

What Does The Bible Teach About The Trinity? / Anony & Deep Sight: Verse By Verse Academy On The Trinity & The Deity Of Christ / Biblical Quotes Proving That Jesus Is Not God And The Absence Of The Trinity. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Trinity—does The Bible Teach It? (part 1) by Nobody: 4:33pm On Sep 25, 2012
Ihedinobi:

God's mouthpiece, se I don find you trouble. Abeg I no de here o.

Can your humble self kindly provide us dullards with the right interpretation of the following scripture verses.

"I said, 'You are "gods"; you are all sons of the Most High - Psalm 82:6

" Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your Law, 'I have said you are gods'?" - John 10:34

"A Psalm of Asaph. God has taken his place in the divine council; in the midst of the gods he holds judgment:" - Psalm 82:1

Btw, unlike you and you duatarian pals, I believe that Jesus is the begotten Son of God not some random being who existed prior to his coming to earth.
Re: The Trinity—does The Bible Teach It? (part 1) by Nobody: 4:37pm On Sep 25, 2012
frosbel:

Can your humble self kindly provide us dullards with the right interpretation of the following scripture verses.

" Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your Law, 'I have said you are gods'?" - John 10:34

"A Psalm of Asaph. God has taken his place in the divine council; in the midst of the gods he holds judgment:" - Psalm 82:1

Btw, unlike you and you duatarian pals, I believe that Jesus is the begotten Son of God not some random being who existed prior to his coming to earth.

lol....... Frosbel, I'm not interested. I don't care anymore what you believe. I'm content mocking your "great intelligence" and "exceptional revelations".
Re: The Trinity—does The Bible Teach It? (part 1) by Nobody: 4:41pm On Sep 25, 2012
Ihedinobi:

lol....... Frosbel, I'm not interested. I don't care anymore what you believe. I'm content mocking your "great intelligence" and "exceptional revelations".

Mate , you are the epitome of empty arrogance, you might impress the gullible but not those who know what they are talking about.
Re: The Trinity—does The Bible Teach It? (part 1) by Nobody: 4:52pm On Sep 25, 2012
frosbel:

Mate , you are the epitome of empty arrogance, you might impress the gullible but not those who know what they are talking about.

Yeah yeah yeah...... Wha else is new? grin
Re: The Trinity—does The Bible Teach It? (part 1) by Nobody: 5:26pm On Sep 25, 2012
Re: The Trinity—does The Bible Teach It? (part 1) by truthislight: 9:56pm On Sep 25, 2012
Ihedinobi:

God's mouthpiece, se I don find you trouble. Abeg I no de here o.

God's mouth piece is Jesus christ.

And the bible is his word?

1 Like

Re: The Trinity—does The Bible Teach It? (part 1) by Nobody: 12:01am On Sep 26, 2012
truthislight:

Says the guy who's all over the religion section marking comments and correcting everyone. Oh yeah, true, your other name is Jesus abi? Lol
Re: The Trinity—does The Bible Teach It? (part 1) by plappville(f): 5:25pm On Sep 26, 2012
truthislight:

[size=16pt]WORDS !!!!![/size]
Re: The Trinity—does The Bible Teach It? (part 1) by plappville(f): 5:31pm On Sep 26, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Bros why are you not interested in discussing? Please enlighten us more, you haven't disprove @Frosbel yet.

Common !! Frosbel is not the only one reading you, u don't have to quite because He is not agree with you.
Re: The Trinity—does The Bible Teach It? (part 1) by Nobody: 7:58pm On Sep 26, 2012
plappville:

Bros why are you not interested in discussing? Please enlighten us more, you haven't disprove @Frosbel yet.

Common !! Frosbel is not the only one reading you, u don't have to quite because He is not agree with you.

Ok. Pay attention. I've engaged Frosbel enough previously to know that it's a waste of time and energy putting out exhaustive rebuttals. For the sake of other participants, I still get generous and put stuff out. But when I see that bare mockery will do the job I intend, I use it. Besides it's far more fun sometimes grin

I should also tell you, lady, that people like you that I have engaged severally hold very little respect for the Bible so once I realize I'm in your presence, I get very sparing in use of Bible passages.

You need proof? Look up there and see what you tried to do with the verse from Genesis 1. Tidytim opened a whole thread some time ago to discredit the King James Version with the excuse that all translations are flawed and he only wanted to point out what was wrong with the KJV. Frosbel is forever turning Scriptures on their head and running around in circles about their meanings.

Perhaps I will consider it worthwhile at some point to delve into exhaustive study of issues with you someday, but I will not do it here, or, at least, I don't expect that I will. Show a little more respect for the Bible and I might indulge you smiley

cool
Re: The Trinity—does The Bible Teach It? (part 1) by Boomark(m): 9:39pm On Sep 26, 2012
It now obvious that we now understand our selves and what we believe in- the bible, which can not contradict it self. This is it.

1. Those that believe in One true God, have lots of strong bible potions that shows that there is only one God-the Father. Who is the God of our lord Jesus Christ. That when God(the Father) subjected all things to Christ, it does not include Him self but Christ will subject Him self to Him(the Father), 1Cor15:28. Plus many other references. The verses in the bible presented by these people are so true that they can not be contested or disproved.

2. Those that support trinity also have strong bible potions that shows that our Lord Jesus is the word of God. That the Father and Jesus are One in terms of purpose(ie what God wants also delights Him) and not in terms of being a single person. And that the holy spirit also carry out the work/word of God. Each doing things that are in line with the will of God(ie acting on His behalf or as He has directed). Making them all to have one PURPOSE, hence the 3 in 1. Plus many other references. The verses in the bible also presented by these people are so true that they can not be contested or disproved.

Our bible can't contradict itself.
Re: The Trinity—does The Bible Teach It? (part 1) by aletheia(m): 12:15am On Sep 27, 2012
frosbel:

^^^
Of course you would go there seeing as to you Jesus is "a mighty god" not the Almighty.

From this old thread (seeing as certain themes tend to recur on NL):

aletheia: At topic:
#1. I noticed a lot of cavilling about god and God: But the original Hebrew does not make any distinction between god and God. The upper-case is an English(and Greek) convention to distinguish between the True God and other pretenders.

#2. The word play in Ps 82:1 becomes evident when we consider the Hebrew:
God standeth in the congregation of the mighty he judgeth among the gods(KJV)

82:1 Hebrew OT: Westminster Leningrad Codex[size=16pt]
מִזְמֹ֗ור לְאָ֫סָ֥ף אֱ‍ֽלֹהִ֗ים נִצָּ֥ב בַּעֲדַת־אֵ֑ל בְּקֶ֖רֶב אֱלֹהִ֣ים יִשְׁפֹּֽט׃[/size]

An analysis of the words:

אֱ‍ֽלֹהִ֗ים - elohim - God
נִצָּ֥ב - nitzav - takes
בַּעֲדַת־ - baadat - congregation
אֵ֑ל - el - God
בְּקֶ֖רֶב - bekerev - the midst
אֱלֹהִ֣ים - elohim - gods
יִשְׁפֹּֽט׃ - yishpot - judges

YLT does renders the literal sense of the verse.
YLT: Psalms 82:1.A Psalm of Asaph. God hath stood in the company of God, In the midst God doth judge.

Consulting the dictionary shows us the 4 meanings of the word elohim:
430 'elohiym el-o-heem' plural of 433; gods in the ordinary sense; but specifically used (in the plural thus, especially with the article) of the supreme God; occasionally applied by way of deference to magistrates; and sometimes as a superlative:--angels
So context determines what elohim means. Unfortunately the various nuances of this word are lost in translation.

What the 82th Psalm is therefore saying is clearly shown by the YLT: Moreover that the gods (elohim) being judged are men (magistrates) is clear when we consider the verses that follow. It is not a justification to say that men are gods (as it is rendered in English).

#3. The incident in John 10:

KJV: John 10:33-36. The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God. Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

What proponents of the I am god mantra fail to see is that[i] Ps 82 is not about them but about Jesus[/i]---it is a Messianic Psalm that shows that Jesus is God in much the same way as Ps 2 and 45;
Station themselves do kings of the earth, And princes have been united together, Against Jehovah, and against His Messiah: Let us draw off Their cords, And cast from us Their thick bands.' He who is sitting in the heavens doth laugh, The Lord doth mock at them. Then doth He speak unto them in His anger, And in His wrath He doth trouble them: And I--I have anointed My King, Upon Zion--My holy hill.' I declare concerning a statute: Jehovah said unto me, `My Son Thou art , I to-day have brought thee forth. Ask of Me and I give nations--thy inheritance, And thy possession--the ends of earth. Thou dost rule them with a sceptre of iron, As a vessel of a potter Thou dost crush them.' And now, O kings, act wisely, Be instructed, O judges of earth (YLT)

Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: the sceptre of thy kingdom is a right sceptre. Thou lovest righteousness, and hatest wickedness: therefore God, thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

In fact Ps 82 closely parallels Ps 2.

The Jews accused Jesus of blasphemy because He said, I am the Son of God; so he directed them to the scripture in Ps 82 that spoke of Him; God hath stood in the company of God, In the midst God doth judge (YLT).

It says "In the midst God doth judge", and yet this is written:
Joh 5:22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:

It is also interesting to note the form of words used in Ps 82:1 is actually:
Gods (elohim) hath stood in the company of God (El), In the midst Gods (Elohim) doth judge.

Elohim is plural while El is singular.

The concluding verse of Psalm 82 says "Arise, O God, judge the earth: for thou shalt inherit all nations". Thou shalt inherit the nations is directed at God. Again harking to Psalm 2:7-8 -
Psa 2:7-8
7 I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.
8 Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession.

Which all ties in with:
Heb 1:8
8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

And so we conclude: Ps 82 is about Jesus---it is a Messianic Psalm that shows that Jesus is God in much the same way as Ps 2 and 45.
Re: The Trinity—does The Bible Teach It? (part 1) by Nobody: 12:47am On Sep 27, 2012
aletheia:
^^^
Of course you would go there seeing as to you Jesus is "a mighty god" not the Almighty.

From this old thread (seeing as certain themes tend to recur on NL):

It says "In the midst God doth judge", and yet this is written:
Joh 5:22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:

It is also interesting to note the form of words used in Ps 82:1 is actually:
Gods (elohim) hath stood in the company of God (El), In the midst Gods (Elohim) doth judge.

Elohim is plural while El is singular.

The concluding verse of Psalm 82 says "Arise, O God, judge the earth: for thou shalt inherit all nations". Thou shalt inherit the nations is directed at God. Again harking to Psalm 2:7-8 -
Psa 2:7-8
7 I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.
8 Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession.

Which all ties in with:
Heb 1:8
8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

And so we conclude: Ps 82 is about Jesus---it is a Messianic Psalm that shows that Jesus is God in much the same way as Ps 2 and 45.

I most certainly wouldn't have done it this well. Learned a great deal up there.
Re: The Trinity—does The Bible Teach It? (part 1) by aletheia(m): 12:56am On Sep 27, 2012
Ihedinobi:

I most certainly wouldn't have done it this well. Learned a great deal up there.
To God be the Glory. He Alone is Worthy.
Re: The Trinity—does The Bible Teach It? (part 1) by plappville(f): 2:37pm On Sep 28, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Ok. Pay attention. I've engaged Frosbel enough previously to know that it's a waste of time and energy putting out exhaustive rebuttals. For the sake of other participants, I still get generous and put stuff out. But when I see that bare mockery will do the job I intend, I use it. Besides it's far more fun sometimes grin

I should also tell you, lady, that people like you that I have engaged severally hold very little respect for the Bible so once I realize I'm in your presence, I get very sparing in use of Bible passages.

You need proof? Look up there and see what you tried to do with the verse from Genesis 1. Tidytim opened a whole thread some time ago to discredit the King James Version with the excuse that all translations are flawed and he only wanted to point out what was wrong with the KJV. Frosbel is forever turning Scriptures on their head and running around in circles about their meanings.

Perhaps I will consider it worthwhile at some point to delve into exhaustive study of issues with you someday, but I will not do it here, or, at least, I don't expect that I will. Show a little more respect for the Bible and I might indulge you smiley

cool

Should i argue with your conclusion? of course no, But that doesn't make you right. Oh... I would have agreed with ur views, in ignorance.
I wonder if i said thesame thing to you. You strongly believe others who do not share same views as you disrespect the bible, you wrong indeed man!!
Re: The Trinity—does The Bible Teach It? (part 1) by Nobody: 6:24pm On Sep 28, 2012
plappville:

Should i argue with your conclusion? of course no, But that doesn't make you right. Oh... I would have agreed with ur views, in ignorance.
I wonder if i said thesame thing to you. You strongly believe others who do not share same views as you disrespect the bible, you wrong indeed man!!

What beliefs, lady? What views? I just searched the whole thread and came to realize that the verse you guys were fighting with was produced in another thread. Perhaps I'll go find it and post a link here. Regardless, if you had not known that I held the Trinity, you would not have thought that by producing that verse I was offering a view, because there was no attendant interpretation. That was all you guys.

I don't need you to believe anything. But I will not subject things that count and hold great value to people who think it a mean thing. That's just my way. But I'm learning from my brothers. I'll probably from now on answer challenges like Frosbel's if there have been no dealings upon it in the very thread on which they're presented.
Re: The Trinity—does The Bible Teach It? (part 1) by plappville(f): 8:07pm On Sep 28, 2012
Ihedinobi:

What beliefs, lady? What views? I just searched the whole thread and came to realize that the verse you guys were fighting with was produced in another thread. Perhaps I'll go find it and post a link here. Regardless, if you had not known that I held the Trinity, you would not have thought that by producing that verse I was offering a view, because there was no attendant interpretation. That was all you guys.

I don't need you to believe anything. But I will not subject things that count and hold great value to people who think it a mean thing. That's just my way. But I'm learning from my brothers. I'll probably from now on answer challenges like Frosbel's if there have been no dealings upon it in the very thread on which they're presented.

cool that way !!
Re: The Trinity—does The Bible Teach It? (part 1) by Boomark(m): 9:37pm On Sep 28, 2012
plappy, Just allow him. He has the spirit of arguing blindly and you can not cure him.
Re: The Trinity—does The Bible Teach It? (part 1) by plappville(f): 9:46pm On Sep 28, 2012
Boomark: plappy, Just allow him. He has the spirit of arguing blindly and you can not cure him.

May God deliver Him from such a spirit !!

2 Timothy 2:24 And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil,

Titus 3:1-2 Remind them to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work, to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people.

@Ihedinobi: can you see that? "courtesy"

1 Like

Re: The Trinity—does The Bible Teach It? (part 1) by Boomark(m): 9:54pm On Sep 28, 2012
Amen!

I hope that he will learn. But the above scripture is for every body.
Re: The Trinity—does The Bible Teach It? (part 1) by plappville(f): 11:50am On Oct 02, 2012
Boomark: Amen!

I hope that he will learn. But the above scripture is for every body.

True !!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Can A Christian Watch Movies With Adult Content? / On The Permanence Or Impermanence Of The New Birth (culled From A Conversation) / Prayer Points For The Year 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.