Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,152 members, 7,842,309 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 05:38 AM

What Do You Do When Your Proposal Is Hijacked. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Do You Do When Your Proposal Is Hijacked. (8590 Views)

Ex-militants Threaten To Blow Up Hijacked Vessel, Expatriates Onboard Over Biafr / 'How Cabals In The Presidency Hijacked Buhari’s Ministerial Appointment' - SDC / Trailer Full Of Motor Bikes Hijacked By Katsina Indigenes (With Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do You Do When Your Proposal Is Hijacked. by Soulcaine(m): 4:52pm On Sep 24, 2012
@sheyma yusufabdulkadir89@gmail.com
Re: What Do You Do When Your Proposal Is Hijacked. by logica(m): 4:53pm On Sep 24, 2012
werepeLeri:

Why will someone say the bolded?

But there is a question that comes to mind. How will you know if you are the only one that submitted a proposal similar to yours to the same agency?

How will you know?
Guy are you one of those idea thieves being spoken about here? Surely you know what is being spoken about here. If an idea is not new and other proposals of the same nature had been submitted, would it not be normal for the proposer to be so informed? Or what would explain the recurrent theme of being strung along just long enough to get a working knowledge of the idea before being jettisoned?

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Do When Your Proposal Is Hijacked. by Johnny(m): 5:08pm On Sep 24, 2012
Its really a very sad thing....Unfortunately,when they go to execute this stolen idea,they hardly get it right because they ain‘t the originators of the idea and do not have the know-how.I did a job for an Area Council here in Abuja and about a million Naira was approved for this job but only N100,000 was given to me,and they never cared if I did the work or not.The Civil Service is the clog in the wheel of our national development!
Re: What Do You Do When Your Proposal Is Hijacked. by sheyma: 5:28pm On Sep 24, 2012
Soul_caine: @ sheyma get a non disclosure agreement. Had sth with a telecom coy too. Good luck and be careful

Thanks siul caine can I get your email addy for futher info
Re: What Do You Do When Your Proposal Is Hijacked. by sheyma: 5:49pm On Sep 24, 2012
drzed:

First of all, dont make the mistake which many Nigerians make when submitting proposal.

The best approach is to introduce the project, describe the problem and simply highlight the solutions that will emerge. NEVER (and I repeat) NEVER ever describe the methods, technique, process or the actual approach to reaching the solution. This will be done ONLY after trust and guarantees have been established. Let me explain.

For example:

1). You have identified how Company A will increase profit at half the cost of providing a popular service (lets call it Service X).
2). In your initial proposal, just simply overview (i.e. give an introduction) of who you are and how your expertise matches their business model, then;
3). Discuss why/how they are losing money through their current procedures (this is the part where you catch their attention by exposing their weakness or inefficiency) and then;
4). Explain in the proposal that profits can be increased by reducing costs of providing Service X; by following a new approach called Solution Y, which you developed originally.

Then you can now submit the draft proposal which is just a skeleton without flesh. But also have another version of the proposal which contains details of HOW they can arrive at Solution Y by following your brilliant concept. But keep the detailed proposal secret until the time is ripe (See STEP 9 below). If they ask why you are withholding details, be honest: Tell them you are protecting your idea.

5). At this stage, (assuming that the company truly wants/needs to cut down cost of Service X) your phone will be ringing off the hook with calls from their representatives. Agree to meet them, and prepare a PPT presentation of the same material in your original/skeletal proposal, just in case. They may/would want you to make an oral presentation (besides, its a professional to always be ready).

6). Before you go get legal representative (lawyer) to prepare a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) and have the idea/proposal copyrighted as well. This is much more than putting letter C in a circle. There are official ways of copyrighting and it is cheap. For effizy, you can even get a dark suited lawyer to accompany you. There are samples of NDAs online that you can modify by yourself, but having a legal firm prepare one with their letter head and/or having a lawyer accompany you is more effective in Nigeria. They wont want to mess with you.

7). If they are honest and truly require your service, they will sign the NDA. Just make sure you have audio and video recording of the signing process, especially IF a lawyer is not present. Dont let them know you are recording the process. Pssst: ask Otedola for handout on how to capture crooks digitally. Audiovisual recorders in the form of spy pens, ties, fez caps and wristwatches abound everywhere even in Nigeria of today.

8'). If they are dishonest (and 75% of your potential Nigerian clients fall into this category) they will not agree to sign the NDA. In that case, walk away. It is better to "die" with your original idea than have id1ots steal it, while you gnash your teeth each time you watch it being executed. Walk away and approach their competitors or find a willing investor, in which case, repeat STEPS 1 to 7 above.

9). For the honest 25%, after the NDA is signed, you can now bring out the second detailed PPT slides (or detailed documentation) which contains the HOW aspect of your proposal. Dont expect this NDA thing to happen overnight. They will likely consult their own lawyer and re-invite you for the signing after some days/weeks.

10). If they breach the terms of the NDA i.e. execute it without you or disclose it to some third party without your permission, (explicit or otherwise), you can confidently approach Mohammed Fawehimi and similar legal folks who like to take on (i.e. sue) such crooked Nigerians head-on...sometimes for free, or sometimes for a fixed percentage of the spoils of war! But you can also reach a journalist who is looking for a story like this to make a name for him/herself. Trust me, big companies and big men dont like being rubbished in the media, especially if their is audio or video evidence.

11). Did I mention that you should dress VERY well each time you visit your clients? Once your potential clients (especially the crooked 75%) perceive you to be a hustler or 'hungry man', they will be tempted to out-muscle you out of your ideas. First impression matters. Borrow your friend's decent car for the trip if you have to. Sounds funny, but it is true. Even in developed countries: a successful looking consultant has bigger chance of tying up a deal than a tattered-looking, job-seeking, desperate-sounding hustler. Sad, but true. Ask yourself, if you were the CEO of a Telecoms or Fast Food company, will you not be more comfortable parting with 10 Million Naira to a well-dressed consultant, rather than to a ragged-looking fellow?

12). Also bring along a colleague or two each time you visit them. Even if they are not your employees or business partners, the presence of two or three of you in a room will inspire confidence in your consultancy. A one-man show is not usually well-respected and does not always look professional. Think about it: you are the minister of Railways and you want to do a deal with a German company to deliver High Speed Urban Trains to each Nigerian City. Will you be happy if only ONE German showed up all the way from Munich? Or will you be more impressed if he came with a team?

Well, thats my two cents based on experience. Enjoy your success. Remember, there is no such thing as luck. What people call luck is simply a matter of preparation meeting opportunity. Be prepared and know your worth. I am also assuming that you have a registered business, if you dont, you are essentially wasting your time trying to do consulting work with private or public entities.

cheers
Suggested Reading: Million Dollar Consulting by Alan Weiss

U are too gbaski
Re: What Do You Do When Your Proposal Is Hijacked. by Biggyd2: 5:52pm On Sep 24, 2012
Re: What Do You Do When Your Proposal Is Hijacked. by werepeLeri: 6:16pm On Sep 24, 2012
logica: Guy are you one of those idea thieves being spoken about here? Surely you know what is being spoken about here. If an idea is not new and other proposals of the same nature had been submitted, would it not be normal for the proposer to be so informed? Or what would explain the recurrent theme of being strung along just long enough to get a working knowledge of the idea before being jettisoned?

Loud smelly mouth. A simple question was asked, you come bring your smelly mouth like say na you know everything? Duncey duncey dunc.e. I don steal your grandpa idea before? Can you even come up with an idea worth my effort in reading talkless of stealing it? mtcheewww. Gerrout. Answer simple question instead of playing over sabi house wife wey dey call him husband Uncle.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Proposal Is Hijacked. by labamo07(m): 6:33pm On Sep 24, 2012
@Op and several others who had fallen into any kind of mess. You have actually taken the wrong step by believing too much in yourself and your ideas. The simple logic is just for you to know somebody that knows somebody and be prepared to add the commissions of whoever is involved to the total cost of your budget. Do you home research by knowing which offices your proposals will be passing through and you have to be ready to grease their palms. Their so-called offices are filled with DEAD BRAINS, so don't waste your intellectual properties.........
Re: What Do You Do When Your Proposal Is Hijacked. by Exponental(m): 6:37pm On Sep 24, 2012
I feel ur pain n I understand wat it feels like.
Beg God 2 avenge or course them!
Re: What Do You Do When Your Proposal Is Hijacked. by logica(m): 6:41pm On Sep 24, 2012
werepeLeri:

Loud smelly mouth. A simple question was asked, you come bring your smelly mouth like say na you know everything? Duncey duncey dunc.e. I don steal your grandpa idea before? Can you even come up with an idea worth my effort in reading talkless of stealing it? mtcheewww. Gerrout. Answer simple question instead of playing over sabi house wife wey dey call him husband Uncle.
Who go help this ediot answer hin s.tupid question? Continue waiting for answer. Monkey.

But if not for the fact that you are retarde.ed you would have seen the answer in my post: *hint* it is customary to be informed if your idea/proposal is now new. Are you feeling a twinge of guilty conscience? Even monkeys can feel guilty. Allah be praised.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Proposal Is Hijacked. by werepeLeri: 6:52pm On Sep 24, 2012
logica: Who go help this ediot answer hin s.tupid question? Continue waiting for answer. Monkey.

But if not for the fact that you are retarde.ed you would have seen the answer in my post: *hint* it is customary to be informed if your idea/proposal is now new. Are you feeling a twinge of guilty conscience? Even monkeys can feel guilty. Allah be praised.

Allah? Guilty conscience because of? This is cyber space dummy. I dont know u, dont want to know you ad dont bleeping care who you are. See twert dey mention Allah. Dummy smelly mouth. Imbeci.le - i know your Dad calls your Mum those three names, Monkey and eeeediot and retarde/d...and she answers - hey buffon. LOL. Allah indeed.

It wasnt a question I expected the answer from a low lifer like u. Read in between the lines sometimes.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Proposal Is Hijacked. by logica(m): 7:04pm On Sep 24, 2012
werepeLeri:

Allah? See twert dey mention that name. Dummy smelly mouth. Imbeci.le - i know your Dad calls your Mum those three names, Monkey and eeeediot and retarde/d...and she answers - hey buffon. LOL. Allah indeed.

It wasnt a question I expected the answer from a low lifer like u. Read in between the lines sometimes.
Yes o! Allah be praised that your father is scratching his crotch after fvcking your werepe infested mother's stinking hole. Isn't that how they came to name you "werepeleri"? K'o baje fun e.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Proposal Is Hijacked. by soldprop: 7:06pm On Sep 24, 2012
wow
Re: What Do You Do When Your Proposal Is Hijacked. by werepeLeri: 7:16pm On Sep 24, 2012
logica: Yes o! Allah be praised that your father is scratching his crotch after fvcking your werepe infested mother's stinking hole. Isn't that how they came to name you "werepeleri"? K'o baje fun e.

This thing pain u gangan o. LOL. Catching fun here. I never knew you are a Boko Haram, I wouldnt have wasted time on you bas.tard. Go prepare more bomb to bomb your goatie bearded head.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Proposal Is Hijacked. by logica(m): 7:20pm On Sep 24, 2012
werepeLeri:

This thing pain u gangan o. LOL. Catching fun here. I never knew you are a Boko Haram, I wouldnt have wasted time on you bas.tard. Go prepare more bomb to bomb your goatie bearded head.
Lame a$$. Who asked whether you were catching fun or a disease? Be gone and stop polluting the thread.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Proposal Is Hijacked. by werepeLeri: 7:21pm On Sep 24, 2012
logica: Lame a$$. Who asked whether you were catching fun or a disease? Be gone and stop polluting the thread.

boko haram. its that time of the day to knock your godamn head on one stupid stone. go ahead. After all these foul language - u waste your time knocking your head on one unswept floor.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Proposal Is Hijacked. by eleven(m): 8:28pm On Sep 24, 2012
Guys, Please let's not derail this important thread.

Young entrepreneurs have a lot to learn here.

We can make our contributions without abuses. Please and Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Do When Your Proposal Is Hijacked. by okunboy: 12:48am On Sep 25, 2012
Take Note:

1) Do not bid for advertised contract by the Govt....in most cases they have 'owners'. Or in worst cases the advertised job had already been awarded or even executed. DONT Waste your precious time, money and energy!

2) If you av got a proposal for a agency, try to get enof info abt the organization, their budget, etc. Most importantly try to get the right contact.....and present yourself as one who they can do business with. Once you can win the confidence of say the DG....you are way up to push ur proposal thru.

3) Put an identity to your proposal.....don't go about submitting your ideas for others to steal. Submit yourself first! Over 80% of contract awarded here are strictly based on personal relationship.
4) Becareful who you are dealing with......! You may be dealing with a commissioner (in a State for instance) and later find out he's a wrong person. I don't deal with commissioners, in most cases they are rogues. If I have a proposal for a State I seek audience with the Governor or his deputy or any member of his 'kitchen cabinet'. If it's a university, my target is the VC, chairman of Council or any other political members in the council.

5) Dont think you are the only one with the idea. Nigerians are dynamic people. You may find others with the same idea you have.....it does not mean they steal it from you.... So be prepared and maintain an open mind.

6) Nigeria business environment is an ocean sometimes full of sharks and whales, swim carefully, be strong and be courageous! God Bless!!!

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do When Your Proposal Is Hijacked. by vislabraye(m): 4:40am On Sep 25, 2012
Ji_sun_pack: I did some things for NNPC which could have made me multi millionaire as far back a 2008 and made me go into early retirements, just when I finish cooking the meal the mudaphockers removed me from the loop.

Don't you ever contribute your shyyt to those dirty bastards. Now, you'd pay me 70% else I ain't gonna drop nothing to nobody.

Its painful. How do they want the youths to survive? They don't provide jobs, they dodnt provide the enabling enviroment and now they steal your hardwork.
What was the proposal about?
Re: What Do You Do When Your Proposal Is Hijacked. by gacha: 6:54am On Sep 25, 2012
Nice trend with majorly serious contributors. Stealing of proposal by government agencies and ministries happened to me too, only for me to see the idea been implemented by their cronies in a shabby way. Now, i've resolved to just forget doing anything with the government until i av a direct contact with the Governor/President or whoever makes the final decision as the case maybe. Nigerians, especially in govt just does not give a hoot about developing the country, all they think about is their pocket and thatz why Nigeria will take a long long time before any positive change occurs. we the so-called followers are worse than the so-called leaders in power !
Re: What Do You Do When Your Proposal Is Hijacked. by Chuksleader(m): 8:12am On Sep 25, 2012
Insightful piece.Kudos op
Re: What Do You Do When Your Proposal Is Hijacked. by vislabraye(m): 10:26am On Sep 25, 2012
Ji_sun_pack: I did some things for NNPC which could have made me multi millionaire as far back a 2008 and made me go into early retirements, just when I finish cooking the meal the mudaphockers removed me from the loop.

Don't you ever contribute your shyyt to those dirty bastards. Now, you'd pay me 70% else I ain't gonna drop nothing to nobody.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Proposal Is Hijacked. by Nobody: 11:55am On Sep 25, 2012
okunboy: Take Note:

1) Do not bid for advertised contract by the Govt....in most cases they have 'owners'. Or in worst cases the advertised job had already been awarded or even executed. DONT Waste your precious time, money and energy!

2) If you av got a proposal for a agency, try to get enof info abt the organization, their budget, etc. Most importantly try to get the right contact.....and present yourself as one who they can do business with. Once you can win the confidence of say the DG....you are way up to push ur proposal thru.

3) Put an identity to your proposal.....don't go about submitting your ideas for others to steal. Submit yourself first! Over 80% of contract awarded here are strictly based on personal relationship.

4) Becareful who you are dealing with......! You may be dealing with a commissioner (in a State for instance) and later find out he's a wrong person. I don't deal with commissioners, in most cases they are rogues. If I have a proposal for a State I seek audience with the Governor or his deputy or any member of his 'kitchen cabinet'. If it's a university, my target is the VC, chairman of Council or any other political members in the council.

5) Dont think you are the only one with the idea. Nigerians are dynamic people. You may find others with the same idea you have.....it does not mean they steal it from you.... So be prepared and maintain an open mind.

6) Nigeria business environment is an ocean sometimes full of sharks and whales, swim carefully, be strong and be courageous! God Bless!!!

You're very right my brother, especially the highlighted portions of your post. Anyone applying for a government contract (or indeed a job!) based on advertisements is engaging in a futile exercise - unless you have good connections or you're extremely lucky to make such connections along the line.

Your point no. 3 is also spot on. I have since discovered that one can even get a hackneyed, unoriginal copy-and-paste idea from the internet and make a fortune with it if you have the right contacts to help you push the idea to implementation by any government agency. All it takes is to first establish some kind of personal relationship with key figures at the helm of affairs. But this is extremely difficult. How does one get to meet a governor? Or a Speaker or any other top official without going through middlemen? In my experience, these middlemen are the real problem because they can outsmart you and corner the deal for themselves when they become very familiar with the idea you're trying to sell in the course of your meetings and interations.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Proposal Is Hijacked. by clip: 12:46pm On Sep 25, 2012
This tread assure me that Nigerians are brilliant people and there is hope
Re: What Do You Do When Your Proposal Is Hijacked. by roshanbhatt: 1:54pm On Sep 25, 2012
I am a cool guy, so it doesn't matter for me if proposal gets hijacked or not. That's it.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Proposal Is Hijacked. by samchide(m): 2:29pm On Sep 25, 2012
@ op the truth is that you must have and understand the power of your God (universe) and you must also have an insider. You might win the contract and execute the Job but what about your money? Without and insider they keep telling you to come back and for years you won't get to have your money till another government takes over .
Re: What Do You Do When Your Proposal Is Hijacked. by Pergrace: 3:06pm On Sep 25, 2012
samchide: @ op the truth is that you must have and understand the power of your God (universe) and you must also have an insider. You might win the contract and execute the Job but what about your money? Without and insider they keep telling you to come back and for years you won't get to have your money till another government takes over .
I dread the bolded part.. cry cry cry cry cry
Re: What Do You Do When Your Proposal Is Hijacked. by Emary(f): 7:02pm On Sep 25, 2012
I know how bad it is in Nigeria. I've also done proposals which have been hijacked too but if you don't try, you can't succeed. Even the so-called "insider" can be the one to stab you in the back but you might just find favor with one of them so you can't let the fear of having your proposal being stolen prevent you from trying. You've got to swim with the sharks to cross the ocean. @ drzed, thanks a lot for the info. Duly noted.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Proposal Is Hijacked. by drzed: 10:56am On Sep 26, 2012
Guys, I have created a new thread on managing and protecting your ideas/proposals through NDAs, Copyrights, Design Rights and Patents.
https://www.nairaland.com/1058278/proposals-ndas-copyrights-patenting-guide#12319852

Cheers.

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Do When Your Proposal Is Hijacked. by osunmakin: 2:56pm On Sep 26, 2012
This is one of the few topics that is meaningful in recent times on NL. It is informative and educative.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Proposal Is Hijacked. by Nobody: 2:49pm On Sep 28, 2012
Biggoozz:

Ok Okunboy, pls mail your id and if you don't mind, a number I can contact you with to solutionboxx@gmail.com. Thanks.

Hi biggoozz, i sent you an email requesting a sample of how you presented your proposal. thanks for replying
Re: What Do You Do When Your Proposal Is Hijacked. by Nobody: 2:55pm On Sep 28, 2012
Yomieluv: Am not into projecting,can you involve a lawyer at the presentation,in order to make it legal,or do a better version of it that includes more features,when presenting it,remove the salient points,so you must be present in the implementation...

good question hope someone will throw some light.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

LASG To Seize Vehicles Parked On Sidewalk / John Kerry To Visit Nigeria Next Week / El-zakzaky: Falana Writes Buhari, Threatens To Sue AGF, DSS Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.