Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,266 members, 7,811,755 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:53 PM

My Pipu, Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Listen To Gospel Music, But To Not Believe? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Pipu, Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Listen To Gospel Music, But To Not Believe? (1907 Views)

7 Nigerian Ministers of God You Mustn't Fail To Listen To / What Nigerians Think Of People Who Do NOT Believe In God? / Do You Listen To Gospel Music Only On Sundays? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Pipu, Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Listen To Gospel Music, But To Not Believe? by Nobody: 3:20pm On Sep 23, 2012
. . . .in God?

Or to not have anything to do with religion?

I grew up with gospel song, so it has been imprinted in me.
Re: My Pipu, Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Listen To Gospel Music, But To Not Believe? by Image123(m): 4:17pm On Sep 23, 2012
it is not hypocritical, but it is foolish of you not to believe in God.
Re: My Pipu, Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Listen To Gospel Music, But To Not Believe? by Nobody: 4:43pm On Sep 23, 2012
since when did christianity became a hobby? stop wasting your precious time listening to such things. It won't work for you, instead you'll only be making a cheap mockery of your self.
There are certain songs meant for atheist, songs like the regular R&B, Blues etc..

BTW, how come you deviated from the child-hood teachings.
You sound like a prodigal daughter (if there is anything like that). Where exactly did you get that "dis-belief in God ? " In school?
Pls corroborate more on this..
Re: My Pipu, Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Listen To Gospel Music, But To Not Believe? by tobechi74: 5:09pm On Sep 23, 2012
God is usin d childhood song to cal u bak to christ
Re: My Pipu, Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Listen To Gospel Music, But To Not Believe? by Nobody: 5:56pm On Sep 23, 2012
Image123: it is not hypocritical, [s]but it is foolish of you not to believe in God[/s].

Ok, you answered the topic, but there's no need to add irrelevant post.

Respect my belief as I respect yours.

acidosis™:
since when did christianity became a hobby? stop wasting your precious time listening to such things. It won't work for you, instead you'll only be making a cheap mockery of your self.
There are certain songs meant for atheist, songs like the regular R&B, Blues etc..

BTW, how come you deviated from the child-hood teachings.
You sound like a prodigal daughter (if there is anything like that). Where exactly did you get that "dis-belief in God ? " In school?
Pls corroborate more on this..

Prodigal daughter?
I'm still my mother's child o. She knows and she understands me, even if she doesn't like it.

I did not say I'm partially or selectively a Christian. I never gave that indication. I'm not looking for it to "work" for me. And "what" is to work for me, btw?

I like how gospel music sounds, just like the other genres I like. (rock, rnb, country, hiphop etc).

I mean, should I suddenly stop listening to Gospel just because I "deviated myself from the Christianity path"?

You "Christians" are already passing judgment, power even your God did not give you, on me. Let's view with open-mindedness abeg.

As to "when did I deviate from child-hood" brainwashing, I prefer to keep that to myself. I'll share it on NL when time comes.
Re: My Pipu, Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Listen To Gospel Music, But To Not Believe? by Nobody: 5:58pm On Sep 23, 2012
tobechi74: God is usin d childhood song to cal u bak to christ

My friend, gerrout of here jor grin
Re: My Pipu, Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Listen To Gospel Music, But To Not Believe? by OmoAlata(f): 5:58pm On Sep 23, 2012
Believe it or not, but there are lots of gospel singers who are not Christians. They sing as if the heavens will open but it's all commercial wink
Re: My Pipu, Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Listen To Gospel Music, But To Not Believe? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Sep 23, 2012
^^^ My sister, I believe it.

Some of them, like Lady Gaga, was brainwashed to believe there was ONE God. Well, she found her god lipsrsealed whoever he is wink
Re: My Pipu, Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Listen To Gospel Music, But To Not Believe? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Sep 23, 2012
Ileke-Idi,

I'll do anything to bring you back to christ!
Re: My Pipu, Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Listen To Gospel Music, But To Not Believe? by tobechi74: 6:57pm On Sep 23, 2012
acidosis™:
Ileke-Idi,

can u die 4 him?
Re: My Pipu, Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Listen To Gospel Music, But To Not Believe? by Delafruita(m): 7:15pm On Sep 23, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
. . . .in God?

i see no difference between listening to micheal smith and listening to lenny kravitz.music is music whether its gospel or apala.i listen to hymns a lot and even sing along to gospel music
Re: My Pipu, Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Listen To Gospel Music, But To Not Believe? by CrazyMan(m): 7:22pm On Sep 23, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
. . . .in God?

Serving God isn't by force...if you don't believe in him, why waste your time listening to Gospel musics? That's hypocrisy if you ask me.

Your situation can be likened unto a christian who listens to islamic music, and then claims he has nothing to do with islam, or vise versa.

If you want to believe in God, make up your mind once and for all and stop hanging in the door way.

1 Like

Re: My Pipu, Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Listen To Gospel Music, But To Not Believe? by Nobody: 7:38pm On Sep 23, 2012
tobechi74:

can u die 4 him?

I don't need to die a 2nd death. Jesus has already paid the price. He died for all including my beautiful sister Ileke-Idi.
Re: My Pipu, Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Listen To Gospel Music, But To Not Believe? by Nobody: 8:18pm On Sep 23, 2012
acidosis™:

I don't need to die a 2nd death. Jesus has already paid the price. He died for all including my beautiful sister Ileke-Idi.

So you're immortal?

This answer get as e be. You remind me of the conversation between Peter and Jesus, when Jesus asked him if he'll die for him (Jesus). As we all know, Peter later denied Jesus 3 times.
Re: My Pipu, Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Listen To Gospel Music, But To Not Believe? by Nobody: 8:20pm On Sep 23, 2012
CrazyMan:
Serving God isn't by force...if you don't believe in him, why waste your time listening to Gospel musics? That's hypocrisy if you ask me.

Your situation can be likened unto a christian who listens to islamic music, and then claims he has nothing to do with islam, or vise versa.

If you want to believe in God, make up your mind once and for all and stop hanging in the door way.

Someone linked rnb/hihop to atheism, so would y6ou say you're atheist for listening to non-gospel songs?

Do you listen to non-gospel music?

Delafruita:
i see no difference between listening to micheal smith and listening to lenny kravitz.music is music whether its gospel or apala.i listen to hymns a lot and even sing along to gospel music

Do you believe in religion?
Re: My Pipu, Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Listen To Gospel Music, But To Not Believe? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Sep 23, 2012
acidosis™:
Ileke-Idi,

LOL. Ask Christians (esp those on NL) to start following EVERY commandment.

Some say they serve a higher being by mouth, but their physical/mental and spiritual being does not move with who they serve.
Re: My Pipu, Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Listen To Gospel Music, But To Not Believe? by CrazyMan(m): 8:45pm On Sep 23, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
Someone linked rnb/hihop to atheism, so would y6ou say you're atheist for listening to non-gospel songs?
There are cool highlife musics which aren't gospel but are ok for christians...I myself, I listen to Osadebe, Morocco, pammy udu bunch...to mention but a few.

Where you'll be tagged or seen as an atheist is when you begin spending more time on immoral or satanic musics...any music that doesn't glorify God or isn't about everyday life, culture, people and places should not be listened to by christians.

But don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to judge you, neither am I condemning you, cos I myself, I'm not perfect. I'm only speaking from my beliefs as a christian...you can't patronize immoral and satanic music and claim you're serving God...it doesn't work that way.

Ileke-IdI:
Yes but as I stated earlier, they're are mainly highlife music...
Re: My Pipu, Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Listen To Gospel Music, But To Not Believe? by Nobody: 8:53pm On Sep 23, 2012
CrazyMan:
There are cool highlife musics which aren't gospel but are ok for christians...I myself, I listen to Osadebe, Morocco, pammy udu bunch...to mention but a few.

Where you'll be tagged or seen as an atheist is when you begin spending more time on immoral or satanic musics...any music that doesn't glorify God or isn't about everyday life, culture, people and places should not be listened to by christians.

But don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to judge you, neither am I condemning you, cos I myself, I'm not perfect. I'm only speaking from my beliefs as a christian...you can't patronize immoral and satanic music and claim you're serving God...it doesn't work that way.

Yes but as I stated earlier, they're are mainly highlife music...

So you basically select what you deem appropriate, to excuse your subtue deviation from God?

Where in the bible does it "okay" it to listen to any music that does not glorify God? I doubt highlife music glorify God o.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but arent Christians suppose to constantly fill their mind with God? i.e his praise, his thanks, his etc etc.

Funny, God is a jealous God, yet jealousy is forbidden in the Christian religion. lololol.

Thanks for not judging me wink
Re: My Pipu, Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Listen To Gospel Music, But To Not Believe? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Sep 23, 2012
I think Christians are really selective beings. The select when to praise God, how to praise God and worst off, they try to be flexible with the commandments. wink
Re: My Pipu, Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Listen To Gospel Music, But To Not Believe? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Sep 23, 2012
@Ileke-Idi, all these while, I never knew your an anti-christ/God.
Hmm.. how I wish you can reconcile with God. Do not turn yourself to an accuser of brethren.
Re: My Pipu, Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Listen To Gospel Music, But To Not Believe? by Nobody: 9:08pm On Sep 23, 2012
acidosis™:
@Ileke-Idi, all these while, I never knew your an anti-christ/God.
Hmm.. how I wish you can reconcile with God. Do not turn yourself to an accuser of brethren.

I am not anti-Christ, I am anti-illusion.
Re: My Pipu, Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Listen To Gospel Music, But To Not Believe? by CrazyMan(m): 9:37pm On Sep 23, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
So you basically select what you deem appropriate, to excuse your subtue deviation from God?
Nope...I do what my bible tells me to do.

Matthew 11:16-19.  "To what can I compare this generation? They are like children sitting in the marketplaces and calling out to others:

17 "'We played the pipe for you,
and you did not dance;
we sang a dirge,
and you did not mourn.'

18 For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' 19 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.' But wisdom is proved right by her deeds."

Clearly God tells us (christians) to live our lives the way we want provided we don't displease him...cos its obvious that you can't please everyone.

So if you ask me, I'd say do what seems best to you...I choose to listen to highlife music, and I don't see it as a sin. Neither am I misquoting the scriptures to justify myself.

Ileke-IdI:
Where in the bible does it "okay" it to listen to any music that does not glorify God? I doubt highlife music glorify God o.
Jesus had much fun in the bible, he ate and mingled with sinners, (tax collectors) he caught fishes with his disciples and he joked and laughed with people of the world...but note one thing,

He didn't bring shame to God...his approach to those he met was a way he used to bring them closer to God. The bible didn't place any embargo on worldly music, but instead it made us understand that our thoughts and deeds should be christ like.

Cos that's the only way the world can see christ in us, and learn to love him too.

Ileke-IdI:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but arent Christians suppose to constantly fill their mind with God? i.e his praise, his thanks, his etc etc.
Yes we're supposed to praise him...but that doesn't mean we should put up a frowning look and carry our bible like some pharasiee of old...

As christians, you're meant to be the most jovial people on earth...check the life of Jesus, he spent only 3 years in his ministry, but under that short space of time, he had over 10,000 followers.

He was able to achieve that target because of his social lifestyle...therefore as christians, God wants us to be free with people cos your lifestyle can go a long way in convincing people that christianity isn't one old bored religion.

Ileke-IdI:
Funny, God is a jealous God, yet jealousy is forbidden in the Christian religion. lololol.
Do not question God...

[b] Isaiah 55:8.  "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD.

Ileke-IdI:
You're welcomed wink
Re: My Pipu, Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Listen To Gospel Music, But To Not Believe? by Nobody: 9:38pm On Sep 23, 2012
@OP
are you saying that if i enjoy listening to hip hop, it means i believe in the gang culture/drug dealing or bling bling?
Re: My Pipu, Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Listen To Gospel Music, But To Not Believe? by wonlasewonimi: 9:40pm On Sep 23, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

What does this mean?
Re: My Pipu, Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Listen To Gospel Music, But To Not Believe? by Delafruita(m): 11:01pm On Sep 23, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Do you believe in religion?
NO
Re: My Pipu, Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Listen To Gospel Music, But To Not Believe? by Nobody: 12:04am On Sep 24, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
. . . .in God?

Ileke na which gospel you dey jam ? the gospels of Obesere grin
Re: My Pipu, Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Listen To Gospel Music, But To Not Believe? by Nobody: 1:59am On Sep 24, 2012
MRbrownJAY: @OP
are you saying that if i enjoy listening to hip hop, it means i believe in the gang culture/drug dealing or bling bling?

Are those a belief system?

Do you wake up every morning to worship a "Drug Lord"?
Re: My Pipu, Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Listen To Gospel Music, But To Not Believe? by Nobody: 2:01am On Sep 24, 2012
Clearly God tells us (christians) to live our lives the way we want provided we don't displease him...cos its obvious that you can't please everyone.

So if you ask me, I'd say do what seems best to you...I choose to listen to highlife music, and I don't see it as a sin. Neither am I misquoting the scriptures to justify myself.

Who are you to judge what is sinful and what is not?
Re: My Pipu, Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Listen To Gospel Music, But To Not Believe? by Nobody: 2:07am On Sep 24, 2012
Jesus had much fun in the bible, he ate and mingled with sinners, (tax collectors) he caught fishes with his disciples and he joked and laughed with people of the world...but note one thing,

He didn't bring shame to God...his approach to those he met was a way he used to bring them closer to God. The bible didn't place any embargo on worldly music, but instead it made us understand that our thoughts and deeds should be christ like.

Cos that's the only way the world can see christ in us, and learn to love him too.

How does highlife music make you think "christ-like"?

Please post one example of your music.

Yes we're supposed to praise him...but that doesn't mean we should put up a frowning look and carry our bible like some pharasiee of old...

As christians, you're meant to be the most jovial people on earth...check the life of Jesus, he spent only 3 years in his ministry, but under that short space of time, he had over 10,000 followers.

He was able to achieve that target because of his social lifestyle...therefore as christians, God wants us to be free with people cos your lifestyle can go a long way in convincing people that christianity isn't one old bored religion.

And non-christians are. . .

TB Josh and Adeboye gets10,000+ gullible followers every year, easy feat for a man who calls himself the son of God. Psychologically proven, humans like to follow the crowd. They're like mindless sheep.

ex: Yawn amongst a group of crowd and see if 2+ don't do the same.
Re: My Pipu, Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Listen To Gospel Music, But To Not Believe? by tpia5: 3:14am On Sep 24, 2012
what's the purpose of this thread?

who is it meant for?
Re: My Pipu, Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Listen To Gospel Music, But To Not Believe? by ayobase(m): 3:42am On Sep 24, 2012
Omo Alata: Believe it or not, but there are lots of gospel singers who are not Christians. They sing as if the heavens will open but it's all commercial wink

Its all about the commercial now....singing beautiful nonsense.....gone are the days of deep, touching and spirit filled songs.....Bola Are, Funmi Aragbaye, Demos Adediran (RIP), Amona Tete Mabo Singer, Ayo ni o, CAC, and d likes.
Today, its all about packaging, vocals, instrumenting, technicalities, heaviness and d likes!
Im not surpised though!
Re: My Pipu, Is It Hypocritical Of Me To Listen To Gospel Music, But To Not Believe? by ayobase(m): 3:47am On Sep 24, 2012
tpia@:
what's the purpose of this thread?

who is it meant for?

I was about asking the same question after reading the last post from the OP!
Hmmm!

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Prove Of The Existence Of God. / HELP!..,...I Don't Want To Become An Athiest! / Pastor Kisses Naked Women Butts As Prayer To Get Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.