Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,256 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:00 AM

We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria (10684 Views)

Should Height Really Pose A Problem In A Relationship?? / Graphic + Wedding Photos: Man Cuts Off Wife's Ears During Domestic Violence / Her Sister Inlaw Caused Problem In Her Family (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:05pm On Sep 24, 2012
The only time we unanimously condemn violence in this society is when one person ends up dead, as long as the victim is alive we try to blame them especially when the victim speaks out.
I am not just speaking on spousal violence but even violence against maids and children. We read on how a maid is bathed with acid or hot water for the smallest perceived offense and some come out and say " you dont know these maids, some of them are witches" " we are not oyibos, we are trying to help these children, some of them do not have food in their house", " some of these maids are so slow and they can make you shout".
We justify and excuse women who hold their husbands by the collar and scream down the whole house scaring the kids, infact we accept it as "normal"

We justify hitting and even killing traffic officers, we justify mob action on suspected criminals (guilty or not), we justify and applaud public fighting, we cheer when some one "beats up " another and say the other person deserves it,we justify stripping down ladies because they stole a phone, a lot of people excused it when Oyedepo slapped the little girl and even cursed the Lawyer that saw this was wrong. Like someone says, we are deep rooted in violence and excusing violent behavior, we need to start from there. Let us talk more and use our hands and fists less. Every Sunday and Fridays we crowd churches and Mosques but during the week, we are angry aggressive people, what am I saying, most churches now are vengeance centers where we go to fight and kill our enemies, some mosques also breed violence where we promote death to anyone who offends our religion.

SO we have a very huge problem, bigger than we can imagine, this is beyond spousal abuse.
What do we do? Where do we start from?

19 Likes

Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by warrior01: 1:40pm On Sep 24, 2012
[quote
author=debrief08]The only time we unanimously condemn violence in this
society is when one person ends up dead, as long as the victim is alive
we try to blame them especially when the victim speaks out.
I am not just speaking on spousal violence but even violence against
maids and children. We read on how a maid is bathed with acid or hot
water for the smallest perceived offense and some come out and say " you
dont know these maids, some of them are witches" " we are not oyibos,
we are trying to help these children, some of them do not have food in
their house", " some of these maids are so slow and they can make you
shout".
We justify and excuse women who hold their husbands by the collar and
scream down the whole house scaring the kids, infact we accept it as
"normal"
We justify hitting and even killing traffic officers, we justify mob
action on suspected criminals (guilty or not), we justify and applaud
public fighting, we cheer when some one "beats up " another and say the
other person deserves it,we justify stripping down ladies because they
stole a phone, a lot of people excused it when Oyedepo slapped the
little girl and even cursed the Lawyer that saw this was wrong. Like
someone says, we are deep rooted in violence and excusing violent
behavior, we need to start from there. Let us talk more and use our
hands and fists less. Every Sunday and Fridays we crowd churches and
Mosques but during the week, we are angry aggressive people, what am I
saying, most churches now are vengeance centers where we go to fight and
kill our enemies, some mosques also breed violence where we promote
death to anyone who offends our religion. SO we have a very huge
problem, bigger than we can imagine, this is beyond spousal abuse.
What do we do? Where do we start from?[/quote]
where do we start from? START WITH THE MAN IN THE MIRROR

4 Likes

Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 2:57pm On Sep 24, 2012
The so-called mama Africas . . . is where you all should start. If women SIT TIGHT in abusive relationships, they send a message to their children that it is OK to be abused. It makes sense to start by telling women, mothers especially to stop helping teach their kids that violence is ok in a relationship by pretending their are sometimes reasons to sit in such relationships. And mothers should do a better job raising their kids to respect humans equally(male and female).

9 Likes

Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:02pm On Sep 24, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFqv8Azlsjc&feature=plcp
Please if you can watch this video, this is a very powerful message, watch and spread, this is what I have been screaming here.
Kobo you are right, My own mother still doesnt speak with me, doest accept my sons and my husband because of the Mama sit tight attitude, it is a problem. I can imagine how many women who have mothers like that more satisfied with a dead long suffering daughter than an alive divorced one.
Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by dayokanu(m): 3:08pm On Sep 24, 2012
Thank you OP for this thread.

I agree with you that we have a violence problem in Nigeria. The solution to every issue is beating.

How many rich madam have an issue with slapping their housegirls? Infact almost everyone would overlook it. But when their husband beat them they shout blue murder.

How many Ogas have a problem with beating their drivers? Infact your friends would ignore it or even support you . But when Oga himself is beaten by some soldiers he would shout to the public.

How many elder siblings have a problem with beating their younger ones but they would cry when others beat them,

Until we address this issues fundamentally in the society we wont be making much of a headway

Below is my post on another topic 2 months ago

7 Likes

Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by dayokanu(m): 3:09pm On Sep 24, 2012
dayokanu: The problem with Nigerians is that they dont see anything wrong as long as it doesnt happen to them

A man thinks beating him is wrong but doesnt see anything bad in beating wife, driver, or staff/Apprentice

A woman thinks beating her is wrong, But she doesnt see anything wrong in beating other women or househelp

The child thinks beating him/her is wrong but doesnt see anything wrong in beating his/her younger ones

Why cant we simply condemn all form of violence

5 Likes

Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by dayokanu(m): 3:10pm On Sep 24, 2012
An epic post from sisikill

Sisi_Kill: Let's face it...Nigerians, we are bullies. We tend to pick on people we perceive are weaker than us (Physically, financially, mentally and any other ally you can think of) . . . this is why Bosses can slap workers, Rich man can slap poor man, men beat women, Adults beat children.

This is why the people who get killed, maimed and ostracized from society because they are "witches" are the poor, the elderly women and children. How come a man is never a wizard? How come children from wealthy homes are not amongst those getting nails drilled in their heads? This is the mentality of our society.

But back to the issue hand. . . Why do we get all up in arms when an adult beats another adult (man beating woman) but don't bat an eye when an adult beats a small child, who by all accounts is more defenseless?

If we are to table the reasons given for why men do the former, we will see how not so different they are from reasons given for the latter.

She was rude
She was disrespectful
She needed correction
It was to teach her a lesson for the future
She needed her tongue curbed
She needs an attitude change etc.

If these reasons can sound appalling for one instance, what makes them a-okay in the next?

Despite our beaty beaty society, we still have some of the worst set of kids. At what point are we gonna sit back and realize. . .something ain't right? Maybe it is time to go to the drawing board and come up with something else?

There's gotta be a middle ground between the so called beat at all cost, beat like there is no tomorrow Nigerian culture and the so called pat a cake, pat on the head, there there culture people perceive to be of the west.

Let's find that and stop treating each other like animals abeg.

8 Likes

Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:11pm On Sep 24, 2012
dayokanu: Thank you OP for this thread.

I agree with you that we have a violence problem in Nigeria. The solution to every issue is beating.

How many rich madam have an issue with slapping their housegirls? Infact almost everyone would overlook it. But when their husband beat them they shout blue murder.

How many Ogas have a problem with beating their drivers? Infact your friends would ignore it or even support you . But when Oga himself is beaten by some soldiers he would shout to the public.

How many elder siblings have a problem with beating their younger ones but they would cry when others beat them,

Until we address this issues fundamentally in the society we wont be making much of a headway

Below is my post on another topic 2 months ago
Nothing more to add, everything is violence, we are so aggressive, we think talking and taking steps to rationally work issues out is a waste of time.
Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:42pm On Sep 24, 2012
Sisikill"s Post is most informative and enlightening. I have also learnt a lot from this. Violence mental, emotional and physical solves nothing, games and unnecessary schemes does nothing to aide any kind of relationship. We are imbibed in violence.
I cant read PMs for those sending me, a friend opened this ID for me and I dont have the details of the email address so I cant open the email to read messages, So I am not ignoring anyone, I just cant access mails

1 Like

Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by Johndoe100(m): 3:57pm On Sep 24, 2012
debrief08:
Nothing more to add, everything is violence, we are so aggressive, we think talking and taking steps to rationally work issues out is a waste of time.

This is because in today's Nigeria talking and rationality are a waste of time. You can come on the internet and have a love fest with people in America and think you have done something. The truth is in Nigeria on the streets and in everyday life, violence is becoming the only option.

Is this good? Heck no, the society has become brutalized. When I was growing up, seeing a dead person was something big, the elders would tell us to cover our eyes. Now whenever armed robbers strike or some other act of violence takes place, there is a rush to go and film the carnage. I know places where teenagers discuss with pictures the effects of a 7.65 mm round (the bullets for an AK47) on the human head.

Now casual brutality is the in thing. There is no means for people to seek justice. So they take whatever measures that they can. The streets of Nigeria are a brutal place to be and it will only get worse because no one really cares. The government in an effort to bring peace and a sense of belonging to the people created a court, the human rights court. This court has the same powers to jail people as the state or federal high court. We all celebrated, until the head of the place said on TV, that he is not interested in cases where people get beaten, or trampled on. That he wants people to bring serious cases such as "the denial of the right to employment due to the governments economic policies". Everyone got the message and I am sure that no case has gone before that court since.

This is a hobsian society. Violence is what we know and what we have. Get used to it.

2 Likes

Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:01pm On Sep 24, 2012
Johndoe100:

This is because in today's Nigeria talking and rationality are a waste of time. You can come on the internet and have a love fest with people in America and think you have done something. The truth is in Nigeria on the streets and in everyday life, violence is becoming the only option.

Is this good? Heck no, the society has become brutalized. When I was growing up, seeing a dead person was something big, the elders would tell us to cover our eyes. Now whenever armed robbers strike or some other act of violence takes place, there is a rush to go and film the carnage. I know places where teenagers discuss with pictures the effects of a 7.65 mm round (the bullets for an AK47) on the human head.

Now casual brutality is the in thing. There is no means for people to seek justice. So they take whatever measures that they can. The streets of Nigeria are a brutal place to be and it will only get worse because no one really cares. The government in an effort to bring peace and a sense of belonging to the people created a court, the human rights court. This court has the same powers to jail people as the state or federal high court. We all celebrated, until the head of the place said on TV, that he is not interested in cases where people get beaten, or trampled on. That he wants people to bring serious cases such as "the denial of the right to employment due to the governments economic policies". Everyone got the message and I am sure that no case has gone before that court since.

This is a hobsian society. Violence is what we know and what we have. Get used to it.
Did someone steal your password? You make a lot of sense today grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin.
I agree except the "get used to it part", When we get use to violence then we become lower than animals
Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by dayokanu(m): 4:34pm On Sep 24, 2012
I think Johndoe is also right, The violent approach to things have eaten into many Nigerians over the years.

They see Traffic congestion and some soldiers come beat ppl and they are able to move(Traffic warden take 5 hrs, Soldiers with guns and stick take 15mins),

They see ppl arguing endlessly and someone brings MOPOL and beat them into submission (Talking takes 5hours, beating takes 5 mins).

They see people arguing over land and taking themselves to court for decades. The moment a Military man becomes involved they resolve the issue in 2months.

Thats why some ppl are still saying we are not ripe for democracy.

We have a society that oppress. If you ask the average person why he wants to make it, His first answer is because he wants to OPPRESS. Why do students join cult? because they want to OPPRESS. Some ppl would even think driving your car by yourself is demeaning, You need to employ a driver and SIT at owners corner. Having your househelp sit in the living room watching TV is a sign of disrespect, Driver whistling a song is a sign of DISRESPECT etc

The Master of the House believe when you smile with your househelps you are not using your POWER appropriately, You should come in and everyone flee.

The Boss at work thinks When you see him and ask how his weekend was its DISRESPECT. You should see him and shiver.

The PAstor thinks when you look him in the eye and speak to him its DISRESPECT. You should see him call him Papa, Father in the LOrd, Your Highness, The most Holy, PAPA,

The Senior in School believes how can you even be gisting with Juniors, You must beat the Hell out of them to be a Respected senior.

FACT IS NIGERIANS ARE GENERALLY BULLIES and We have been brought up to RESPECT VIOLENCE

9 Likes

Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:40pm On Sep 24, 2012
dayokanu: I think Johndoe is also right, The violent approach to things have eaten into many Nigerians over the years.

They see Traffic congestion and some soldiers come beat ppl and they are able to move(Traffic warden take 5 hrs, Soldiers with guns and stick take 15mins),

They see ppl arguing endlessly and someone brings MOPOL and beat them into submission (Talking takes 5hours, beating takes 5 mins).

They see people arguing over land and taking themselves to court for decades. The moment a Military man becomes involved they resolve the issue in 2months.

Thats why some ppl are still saying we are not ripe for democracy.

We have a society that oppress. If you ask the average person why he wants to make it, His first answer is because he wants to OPPRESS. Why do students join cult? because they want to OPPRESS. Some ppl would even think driving your car by yourself is demeaning, You need to employ a driver and SIT at owners corner. Having your househelp sit in the living room watching TV is a sign of disrespect, Driver whistling a song is a sign of DISRESPECT etc

The Master of the House believe when you smile with your househelps you are not using your POWER appropriately, You should come in and everyone flee.

The Boss at work thinks When you see him and ask how his weekend was its DISRESPECT. You should see him and shiver.

The PAstor thinks when you look him in the eye and speak to him its DISRESPECT. You should see him call him Papa, Father in the LOrd, Your Highness, The most Holy, PAPA,

The Senior in School believes how can you even be gisting with Juniors, You must beat the Hell out of them to be a Respected senior.

FACT IS NIGERIANS ARE GENERALLY BULLIES and We have been brought up to RESPECT VIOLENCE
I am saving this. Classic, beautiful, on point. Complete
Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 5:12pm On Sep 24, 2012
THis is a great topic and should be moved to the frontpage asap.

I think this problem of violence stems from the general decay of the country. That's why there's this "Fight of the fittest" match going on. It seems everyone wants to outdo the other person. The people that suffer most are people who due to their position cannot fight back. It's sounds inhuman the kind of things i've see some Nigerians do to other people just because they find themselves in a position of power.

1 Like

Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by eledalo: 5:29pm On Sep 24, 2012
Guy I go slap you o! angry angry
Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by Johndoe100(m): 5:30pm On Sep 24, 2012
debrief08:
Did someone steal your password? You make a lot of sense today grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin.
I agree except the "get used to it part", When we get use to violence then we become lower than animals

I have always made sense, you just spend too much time with the cabal. As to getting used to the violence, girl it's really hard out on the streets.
Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:38pm On Sep 24, 2012
You have to know your rights as a human being first for you to kick against violence.

2 Likes

Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 6:59pm On Sep 24, 2012
stillwater: You have to know your rights as a human being first for you to kick against violence.
Agreed and this is where I have the biggest problem with people, even in the politics section. Many do not know or understand what their right is as humans, and as citizens of the Nation. And as a result, they essentially help the animals in authority(at local and national levels) in trampling the law.

2 Likes

Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:16pm On Sep 24, 2012
What amazes me is that on the thread where the 11 year old stabbed her father in defense of her mum, people were actually applauding nher actions instead of being concerned for her mental state and even legal state.
Same group of people who will not accept separation in violent relationships. So it is better to violently act in a bad situation than to have a peaceful resolution I am trying to understand the logic. As Sisi kill said, " A dead Mrs. is better than a Living Ex Mrs, A child who killed her abusive father is better than na child from a broken home. hmmmm
Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by greatgod2012(f): 11:01pm On Sep 24, 2012
yeah, this is a great topic!
D most unfortunate part of it all is dt when u are not d violent/aggressive type, pple tag u as lazy/fool/incapable/silly/st*pid etc.
Its a really big problem in our society, and if care is not taken, our children may get acquainted with it, so, as parent, elder, pastor,teacher,etc,its high time we start educating ourselves of d needs to live a violent-free life,to see ourselves asd same b4 d Almighty God, be it hubby/wiffy,masters/servants,parents/children, teachers/students, cleric/members of d congregatn,etc, 4 absolute peace to reign and may God help us all.

1 Like

Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by ronkebp(f): 3:15pm On Sep 25, 2012
Fact is, every Nigerian is guilty, when you start from your own house in eradicating violence, it will lead to the ends of the country, a generation has to start it. No need apportioning blame, let everyone carry their own cross and lead a decent life. Let education be upheld in the country, too much illiteracy is the problem. Majority of the able bodied youth in this generation are onions-sellers, alabaru's, bus conductors,yahoo-yahoo, armed robbers, see them at the airport when you come into the country, joblessness everywhere, where will the sanity come from? what do ytou really expect frrom people that have been exposed to the harshness of the country itself? NIgeria need help!!!!!
Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by aare07(m): 2:37pm On Sep 26, 2012
lack of education is the big violence
Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by hollypagan: 2:38pm On Sep 26, 2012
debrief08:
I am saving this. Classic, beautiful, on point. Complete
abeg this is personal
Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by mallorca(m): 2:41pm On Sep 26, 2012
aare07: lack of education is the big violence
supported
Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by Chrisbenogor(m): 2:54pm On Sep 26, 2012
Yo
So many comments that make a lot of sense, the problem is that women have monopolized abuse, every time the cabal comes in here to shout of death to the man that abuses a woman I shake my head. It all starts from when we were kids, the young boy knows that when daddy and mommy are offended they rain fire and brimstone, they get whipped with canes and belts. They get to school late and they are flogged mercilessly, soon the boy grows up to be a man and the woman is a female teacher in a government secondary school. Day in and out she is involved in dishing out violence to young kids in the most inhumane forms ever, and when she gets home her husband who was that young boy that was flogged in school by a female teacher, beaten by his mother for doing the wrong thing gives her a black eye for giving him indomie for dinner, then and only then do the cabal have the guts to say violence is bad.
Bloody HYPOCRITES!!!

SAY NO TO VIOLENCE TO CHILDREN!!!!

Maybe just maybe we would affect an entire generation.

1 Like

Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by mike404(m): 2:58pm On Sep 26, 2012
WESTERN EDUCATION MEANS PEACE
ISLAMIC EDUCATION MEANS VIOLENT SHIKENA

Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by ronkebp(f): 3:00pm On Sep 26, 2012
Violence i think is still violence whether it is to children, friends, family, and all what is!!!! some people are from a violent free homes and still go about molesting little children, the rate at which you would here verbal abuse from this so-called my parents have never beaten me before, is so alarming. Let everyone uphold the banner to stop violence, we are all guilty. Simple.
Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by TonySpike: 3:01pm On Sep 26, 2012
The problem of Nigeria is an extension of breakdown of law and order in the societal system. We operate a system where oppression and disorderliness is a ticket to becoming successful. If you doubt me, ask the politicians who use thugs to oppress voters; the policeman who uses his AK47 to oppress ordinary civilians; the driver of the 'big' jeep who deprives other road users. I think the civil war brought more disaster and aggression to ordinary Nigerian life, the economic breakdown and poverty that followed years later made us more aggressive. Today, if Nigerians were asked to undergo psychiatrist tests, I'm sure not a few will pass these tests. The summary of this is that most Nigerians are gradually losing their sanity!!!
Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by stepo707: 3:05pm On Sep 26, 2012
Yes we do and i dont actually think it will get better.The best each person can do is to train his/her child in the way of the Lord but for the society,i think violence might actually increase.
Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by free2ryhme: 3:09pm On Sep 26, 2012
debrief08: The only time we unanimously condemn violence in this society is when one person ends up dead, as long as the victim is alive we try to blame them especially when the victim speaks out.
I am not just speaking on spousal violence but even violence against maids and children. We read on how a maid is bathed with acid or hot water for the smallest perceived offense and some come out and say " you dont know these maids, some of them are witches" " we are not oyibos, we are trying to help these children, some of them do not have food in their house", " some of these maids are so slow and they can make you shout".
We justify and excuse women who hold their husbands by the collar and scream down the whole house scaring the kids, infact we accept it as "normal"

We justify hitting and even killing traffic officers, we justify mob action on suspected criminals (guilty or not), we justify and applaud public fighting, we cheer when some one "beats up " another and say the other person deserves it,we justify stripping down ladies because they stole a phone, a lot of people excused it when Oyedepo slapped the little girl and even cursed the Lawyer that saw this was wrong. Like someone says, we are deep rooted in violence and excusing violent behavior, we need to start from there. Let us talk more and use our hands and fists less. Every Sunday and Fridays we crowd churches and Mosques but during the week, we are angry aggressive people, what am I saying, most churches now are vengeance centers where we go to fight and kill our enemies, some mosques also breed violence where we promote death to anyone who offends our religion.

SO we have a very huge problem, bigger than we can imagine, this is beyond spousal abuse.
What do we do? Where do we start from?

This is the society your short sighted "heroes past" created ..
Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:10pm On Sep 26, 2012
To put it simply;

Nigeria is Morally, Socially, Philosophically, Psychologically and Economically bankrupt.

What can be done to address this ?

Renaissance !!!
Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by thelastPope(m): 3:23pm On Sep 26, 2012
Violence is a form of expression used by those who cannot respond in other civilised ways. It is a result of ignorance, timidity and big inferiority complex. The more confident a man is, the less violent he is.

A typical Nigerian cannot say things like "I love u", "I am sorry", "I was wrong", "I lied". Even on the streets, people can't give you directions. The real problem is that we are trying to join the world in the information age while we missed several transitional stages in modern social development. This is why I always advocate that the biggest single thing Nigeria requires is aggressive reorientation. Just achieve that and everything else will start to work.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Childless For 9 Years: Help! I'm Losing My Mind To Depression! / What Habits Did You See In Your Father That You Are Determined To Sustain? / What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.