Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,172 members, 7,821,973 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:09 PM

We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria (10694 Views)

Should Height Really Pose A Problem In A Relationship?? / Graphic + Wedding Photos: Man Cuts Off Wife's Ears During Domestic Violence / Her Sister Inlaw Caused Problem In Her Family (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:50pm On Sep 27, 2012
Rhapsody!:
While I mostly agree with what a number of people have said so far, it seems one will also be called violent if I need to discipline my child which may involve flogging depending on the misdeed. Now I am not talking about parents that beat up their kids for the flimsiest excuse, maybe transfer of aggression. Kids know the difference between punishment because they understand they have really messed up, and the hitting ‘cos of transferred frustration. They can also tell when their punishment is commensurate to the offence and when it is way more than that. Yes it is a fine line considering what is being discussed here, but should not be confused with it. They should never be hit in anger or they may take it personal, thereby defeating the purpose of the punishment. They should never be allowed to think their parents hate them, rather it is the misdeed. There should have been warnings or rebuke for first offenders and the punishment spelt out if such happens again, which must of course be followed through. Bottomline line is education. In a world as dynamic as ours, any parents should be knowledgeable about these things so you do not cross the line.
I also totally agree that the society encourages violence. [b]For spousal abuse, I tend to blame the “victim” most (I will probably get into trouble here). People do not become violent overnight. Before it even becomes a physical abuse, the verbal, psychological and emotional ones would have gone ahead. People betray themselves in little things. Chances are probably 80% of the times, you can tell someone with violent tendencies, especially if it is someone you are planning to spend the rest of your life with. A lot of times, those warnings are ignored. And after marriage, you are not expected to quit no matter what. It still boils down to education. I remember seeing a thread about teaching our girls to have a healthy self esteem. Every child really. Tea[/b]ch (and do) them the golden rule. Kids know hypocricy when they see it. It will have to start with the family, before the society will feel the impact.
Do you by any chance have a degree in psychology and if you do, have you carried out any research on the bolded above to arrive at such a conclusion?
Most abusers are charming, loving, extra caring, those signs will be mistaken for love it is when the abuser is sure of his/ her dominance that the mental abuse starts and followed by physical abuse.
Your explanation is possible in some situations but not all, some abuse starts when the abuser gets influenced by drugs or alcohol, so it is not in all cases that the victim "knows' and willingly submits to abuse.
Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by ronkebp(f): 3:36pm On Sep 27, 2012
afam4eva:
Yet, you're advising someone to leave a marriage because of violence. Even when the bible made it explicitly lucid that under no circumstance should a couple divorce except the problem they have is connected with Infidelity.

In order words, you are saying the Bible kinda supports domestic violence that might lead to the death of either partner.?

2 Likes

Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 3:46pm On Sep 27, 2012
ronkebp:

In order words, you are saying the Bible kinda supports domestic violence that might lead to the death of either partner.?
Pls stop twisting my words. I didn't right the bible. I'm just quoting what is there. if the bible wanted because to divorce because of violence in marriage don't you think it would have been included? But it wasn't. So, it either you follow the bible or you decide to worship sango or amadioha. There are varieties.
Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by ronkebp(f): 3:57pm On Sep 27, 2012
afam4eva:
Pls stop twisting my words. I didn't right the bible. I'm just quoting what is there. if the bible wanted because to divorce because of violence in marriage don't you think it would have been included? But it wasn't. So, it either you follow the bible or you decide to worship sango or amadioha. There are varieties.

Lol.....Amadioha in what year? Anyways, the Bible did not expect anyone to be violent in a marraige, and that was why it said that "the man should love his wife the way Christ loved the church and gave his life for the church" and the woman should be submissive to her husband. the same Bible says, "if your right eye will lead you to sin, pluck it out", if a man will lead me to pardition because of violence today and slaps tomorrow, he can please go to whereever!!!..God definitely does not want divorce, but trust me, not at all cost. HE wishes above all things that we prosper and be in good health even as our souls prospereth, when you know the will of God for your life, you will not miss it.

2 Likes

Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 4:01pm On Sep 27, 2012
ronkebp:

Lol.....Amadioha in what year? Anyways, the Bible did not expect anyone to be violent in a marraige, and that was why it said that "the man should love his wife the way Christ loved the church and gave his life for the church" and the woman should be submissive to her husband. the same Bible says, "if your right eye will lead you to sin, pluck it out", if a man will lead me to pardition because of violence today and slaps tomorrow, he can please go to whereever!!!..God definitely does not want divorce, but trust me, not at all cost. HE wishes above all things that we prosper and be in good health even as our souls prospereth, when you know the will of God for your life, you will not miss it.
Bible revisionist are at it again...lol grin
Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by seyibrown(f): 5:39pm On Sep 27, 2012
afam4eva:
So, the bible that says that under no circumstance should a man and woman be divorced except for infidelity is African tradition too, okwa ya?

Bear in mind that the Bible does not say anywhere that you should be violent with your spouse. Beating your spouse is not any part of loving them and it is not expected of a Christian. The Christians that are being told not to divorce are expected to have been loving and honoring each other. If you love and honor your spouse you wouldn't be violent with them or cheat on them!

Any spouse being abused should seek temporoary sanctuary away from their abuser until the abusive spouse gets help for his/her problem.

2 Likes

Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 5:42pm On Sep 27, 2012
seyibrown:

Bear in mind that the Bible does not say anywhere that you should be violent with your spouse. Beating your spouse is not any part of loving them and it is not expected of a Christian. The Christians that are being told not to divorce are expected to have been loving and honoring each other. If you love and honor your spouse you wouldn't be violent with them or cheat on them!

Any spouse being abused should seek temporoary sanctuary away from their abuser until the abusive spouse gets help for his/her problem.
Let's leave what the bible did not say and focus on what it says. The bible also didn't say the kind of cloths a man and woman should wear during their wedding, but people wear anything anyway. Stop playing games with the bible biko.
Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by seyibrown(f): 6:47pm On Sep 27, 2012
afam4eva:
Let's leave what the bible did not say and focus on what it says. The bible also didn't say the kind of cloths a man and woman should wear during their wedding, but people wear anything anyway. Stop playing games with the bible biko.

The Bible DOES SAY that a Man should love his wife as Christ loved the church! You missed the bit where I said 'beating your spouse is not part of loving and hounouring them'? The Bible does not expressly or otherwise instruct one spouse to beat the other. Love & Honour is the code!

1 Like

Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:08pm On Sep 27, 2012
Love suffereth long, and is kind; Love envieth not; Love vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

Any Husband who wants to shove Bible verses should be sure he does this first

3 Likes

Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by SisiKill1: 8:23pm On Sep 27, 2012
There are some things the Bible isn't specific on, that's why the Good Lord in His infinite mercies gave us COMMON SENSE!!

On your next lunch break, go have it with a lion at the zoo and when people ask you what the hell you are doing, tell 'em the Bible did not say you should run away from Lion. Why, as a matter of fact, the Bible says you will reign over the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, the livestock, all the wild animals on the earth and the small animals that scurry along the ground. Yes siree Bob! Tis what the Bible says!!

Oh don't worry about updating on us on how lunch went, I'm sure we will hear on the news - LION HAS MAN FOR LUNCH. . .A VERY GOOD ONE TOO!!!!

3 Likes

Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by Tgirl4real(f): 8:54pm On Sep 27, 2012
afam4eva:
Yet, you're advising someone to leave a marriage because of violence. Even when the bible made it explicitly lucid that under no circumstance should a couple divorce except the problem they have is connected with Infidelity.

Yet!!! Did u say yet? Please answer the questions I asked you first before going yet...

*SMH*

So, violence isn't worse than infidelity? When u are done studying ur bible properly, revert.

1 Like

Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by Tgirl4real(f): 8:58pm On Sep 27, 2012
Lol @ Sisi... Some people are just so used to quoting scriptures where it is not applicable.
Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by Tgirl4real(f): 9:07pm On Sep 27, 2012
afam4eva:

What is this one saying na? If u want to toe that line...then, what happens to forgive 70 x 7 times. Why divorce your spouse over infidelity when u are suppose to forgive? Duhh!!!

U should flee from anything that poses threat to your health. Any form of abuse be it psychological, physical, emotional, sexual shouldn't be condoned including philandering.

2 Likes

Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by rubi(f): 9:18pm On Sep 27, 2012
Just logged in to read this topic
Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by Rhapsody1(f): 10:11am On Sep 29, 2012
debrief08:
Do you by any chance have a degree in psychology and if you do, have you carried out any research on the bolded above to arrive at such a conclusion?
Most abusers are charming, loving, extra caring, those signs will be mistaken for love it is when the abuser is sure of his/ her dominance that the mental abuse starts and followed by physical abuse.
Your explanation is possible in some situations but not all, some abuse starts when the abuser gets influenced by drugs or alcohol, so it is not in all cases that the victim "knows' and willingly submits to abuse.
Actually I do not have, but it is true. The bolded says it all. Most peeps make this mistake during dating/courtship. That a partner is caring, extra loving does not really tell the true character. The person may be acting cos he/she wants something. Which is why I have always said that people reveal their true character in little things. Look beyond how that person treats you to how how treats others: the annoying boss, neighbor, people who he/she cannot benefit from. When a friend crosses him/her, what is the reaction. How does he/she talk about unpleasant stuff. Does he/she do the blame game or accept consequences, take responsibility. What is he/she like behind the wheels or say if walking someone splashes water on him/her. Some even explain certain jealousy or too possessive attitude as love. I have been in a cab one time and the chick beside me asked me to talk to the person on the other line confirming she is where she claimed to be. That was her guy. I don't know if you get my drift. Little things. Seemingly inconsequential things. His/her opinions on certain issues could also be a clue. Many of the times, these clues are ignored for one reason or the other. I could go on and on, share some of my own experiences but that will be too long. Also, like I pointed out, before it gets to the physical abuse, the emotional, psychological, verbal, attitudinal ones would have gone ahead. The reaction of the receipts many times paves way to continued or discontinuation of that abuse. One got to know when to back out before it becomes life threatening. i remember seeing a thread of someone whose hubby slapped. I think she was preggy then too. She said she called his family members to tell them, and emphasis that she will not tolerate a second occurrence. Now whether that response was good or not is immaterial. I am glad that by doing so, she sent a strong message to her hubby, This will not be tolerated again. That man will think twice before hitting her again.

I know a bit of your story from some of your posts. And I hail you because though I cannot imagine it, to some large extent I know it was an awful experience. And I am amazed you are in a better marriage now. Your story inspires many. Let me ask you this and I trust you will give me an honest answers. Your present hubby treats you great right? Look back on when you were dating your first hubby. With what you now know, would you still have married him? And if those signs were missed before marriage, when the other abuses started, would you have stayed as long as you did? You made excuses for him then. The people around did not know better too. And so it took your dad to get you out. Today, you have no regrets. Even if you were not married again, you will not regret walking out. How come you made a better choice in your present hubby? Many people jump out of an abusive relationship to get into another. Why didn't you? Do you see my point now?

What I am saying is that it is possible to get some pointers to a who a person is. Instruction remains the best teacher, not experience. While people should now when to get out of an abusive relationship, it will even be better to know what to look out for so as to minimize the chances of entering a relationship that has a high percentage of becoming abusive

2 Likes

Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by Rhapsody1(f): 10:17am On Sep 29, 2012
v
Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by Rhapsody1(f): 10:43am On Sep 29, 2012
Chrisbenogor:

I totally disagree with the bolded part, this is the whole point of the thread. Hitting anyone because they did something wrong is wrong, child mother father brother housegirl it does not matter what you are doing is inflicting physical pain on another human being that is weaker than you are and this is the genesis of violence in our society.
Which is why I took the pains to make those definitions. I will not tolerate someone hitting my child neither will I hit another. But I will discipline my child as I deem fit even if it involves flogging. The key is, the child should know why he is being punished. The punishment should be commensurate with the offense. A lighter punishment for a first time offender while making him know that subsequent behavior will attract so and so. Never hit a child in anger. It could be easily misunderstood, and the aim of the correction defeated. I respect your opinion, just disagree with it, Anyway, I will not discipline your child for you and vice versa.

Let me give you an example. When we were younger, my sister did something . It happened in the afternoon, but my dad did not say anything (he was probably very angry, something very rare for him). Later at night (when he was calmer), he called us all, and we sat down. He explained what my sister did, the implication and the punishment,(6 strokes of the cane). It was not more or less. My dad hardly ever flogged us. My mum did, most times in anger. I know what that did to me and the difference I observed with my dad's type of discipline. My dad did not make that mistake, and we got the message. Some peeps will not agree with him. I do. And please remember I am strictly talking about my child's discipline. I also will not tolerate one of my kids hitting his other sibling or fighting outside. Disciplining my child may sometimes involve the cane, not always. I also hope that after they are beyond 8 years, cane will be hardly used again. Other forms of discipline will be employed.
Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:19am On Sep 29, 2012
Now I get you and I understand. Like I said, my Ex and I were and still are childhood friends, there were no signs, even though there was family dysfunction but to the best of our knowledge it didn't manifest.
I agree on the part where some jump from one abusive to another abusive relationship.
What I know now it that I have to be comfortable as a person first, my life should never be about someone else.
Love and respect my self first.
Great points you made

1 Like

Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:33pm On Oct 10, 2012
I know there have been many topics on the murders of those 4 young men in PH but poster to answer your question - yes there is a very big violence problem in Nigeria - and how a human can beat the life out of another human being and watch them die then really there is a BIG problem

1 Like

Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by dayokanu(m): 4:19am On Oct 13, 2012
muchbeauty: i want to talk about beating in homes and how it has affected my country. Parents think the best way to correct children is by beating. Most husbands think the best way to correct wives also is by beating.. yes a slap might be alright if you have to, seeing that this is Africa but when you batter a child in the name of correcting a child, your child would grow up thinking that the best way to correct others is by beating others without mercy. When you ask parents why beat up your child in such manner? The answer you would get is the bible said spare the rod and spoil the child. That's in no way sane. These i feel are reasons many people in Nigeria are aggressive, a combination of so many aggressive minds form mobs aimed at correcting people.
People beat thieves without mercy; fight people who they intend to correct of wrong doing. I saw a video of a babe who was caught stealing blackberry and people started handling her breast as punishment.
This is an idea that has developed over time by them, so do you think taking other peoples lives would be a problem to them?
I have heard so many touts say, "my papa, or mama they been beat me o, well well", but with so much beating how did they end up so hardened? Was it not meant to correct them, or were their rods not long enough? Violence can not be used to correct violence and a change for Nigeria starts from our homes.
Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by ronkebp(f): 11:26am On Oct 13, 2012
^^^^^ it is a witch and a blood sucking wizard, will batter their children in such a manner that will make others raise eyebrows, there is no way on earth, you will raise a child and won't spank him or her, a little, just to drive home some point....My dad has never beaten me before, but i can't say the same for my younger sisters, my mum has never spared the rod when we were growing and i will repeat that none of us go outside to raise a fist against another. It is a mother-witch that will look at her children and in the name of correction, hit, slap and kick their children.

I was at Aleshinloye market in Ibadan last week, was buying some stuff from a lady, there was this 10 year old girl that worked for her, this woman said that the little girl steals and lies, and (she must have stolen something before i got there), if you had seen the way this woman was beating this girl, i could feel the blows from where i was standing i had to scream at her that i was going to call the police on her since she was obviously killing a child that is apparently not hers...she stopped when she heard me scream with all the energy i had left, the girl was still kneeling by the time i left, but am sure that woman was not satisfied with the beating she had given that girl and i am so sure, she will be dishing out more...That there is the abuse we are talking about.....and that woman is a witch, for those who fly at night, you can visit her coven to find out...she will be there life.

If anyone had been beaten in such a manner by their own physical parent or uncle or aunt, just go to them and tell them that they are witches and wizards.

1 Like

Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by armyofone(m): 2:40pm On Oct 13, 2012
ha!! you? why didn't i ask you to buy me plantain powder for amala cry

how have ya been girl. I was like where Ronkelus now not knowing she is wakaing kakiri all over sango/aleshinloye/gbagi and dugbe grin
ronkebp: ^^^^^ it is a witch and a blood sucking wizard, will batter their children in such a manner that will make others raise eyebrows, there is no way on earth, you will raise a child and won't spank him or her, a little, just to drive home some point....My dad has never beaten me before, but i can't say the same for my younger sisters, my mum has never spared the rod when we were growing and i will repeat that none of us go outside to raise a fist against another. It is a mother-witch that will look at her children and in the name of correction, hit, slap and kick their children.

I was at Aleshinloye market in Ibadan last week, was buying some stuff from a lady, there was this 10 year old girl that worked for her, this woman said that the little girl steals and lies, and (she must have stolen something before i got there), if you had seen the way this woman was beating this girl, i could feel the blows from where i was standing i had to scream at her that i was going to call the police on her since she was obviously killing a child that is apparently not hers...she stopped when she heard me scream with all the energy i had left, the girl was still kneeling by the time i left, but am sure that woman was not satisfied with the beating she had given that girl and i am so sure, she will be dishing out more...That there is the abuse we are talking about.....and that woman is a witch, for those who fly at night, you can visit her coven to find out...she will be there life.

If anyone had been beaten in such a manner by their own physical parent or uncle or aunt, just go to them and tell them that they are witches and wizards.
Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by chic2pimp(m): 10:47pm On Oct 14, 2012
dayokanu:

FACT IS NIGERIANS ARE GENERALLY BULLIES and We have been brought up to RESPECT VIOLENCE

You won't get a better quote than this on this thread.
Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by dayokanu(m): 7:34pm On Jan 09, 2013
Ha this thread
Re: We Have A Big Violence Problem In Nigeria by TonySpike: 9:47am On Jan 10, 2013
dayokanu: Ha this thread

Yes, This thread....greatest Futarian!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Two Months After Wedding, No Sex. Help! / A Four-Year-Old Survives Three-Story Building Fall And Landed On His Feet / Are There Still Men Who Believe In Abstinence Till Marriage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.