Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,634 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:21 PM

Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually (6335 Views)

N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week / NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators / Presidency To Spend N654.02m On Generators (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually by Emeniyen: 12:37pm On Sep 25, 2012
THE Director-General of Centre for Management Development, Dr Kabir Usman, has said that about 60 million Nigerians spend N1.6 trillion on generators annually.

Dr Usman said this while delivering his speech at the launch of the National Power Training Institute of Nigeria (NAPTIN) graduate skills development programme in Abuja, on Monday.

He said that Nigeria had the highest number of standby generators, which had become permanent, making the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) the standby. He, therefore, said "currently, there are about 60 million generators in Nigeria at the ratio of one per household of 2.5 people with an annual spending of N1.6 trillion."

Dr Usman further said that the presence of the too many generators has caused many deaths in the nation as a result of carbon monoxide emission.

He revealed that the Nigeria's highly inadequate supply of electricity adds 40 per cent to the cost of goods produced in the country. According to him, "the situation has compelled many industries to either shut down or relocate to neighbouring countries."

He also said that the poorest Nigerians paid more than N80/kwh burning candles, kerosene and firewood while manufacturers paid between N45 and N60/kwh on diesel to run their generators.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/lead-stories/48127-nigerians-spend-n16trn-on-generators-annually-centre-for-management-development
Re: Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually by Nobody: 2:43pm On Sep 25, 2012
TRUE STORY, AND TOMORROW THEY WILL SAY ITS THE GENERATOR IMPORTERS AND DIESEL DEALERS MESSING THINGS UP.
Re: Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually by Afam4eva(m): 2:46pm On Sep 25, 2012
al-qaeda:
TRUE STORY, AND TOMORROW THEY WILL SAY ITS THE GENERATOR IMPORTERS AND DIESEL DEALERS MESSING THINGS UP.
I don't get your point.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually by psalmizt(m): 2:46pm On Sep 25, 2012
As much as I want to believe this story, I don't think it is scientific... Somehow, I feel it is likely going to be an error of generalization. No mention of his sample space, and the assumptions. I am sure he is just riding on the wave of the moment.... angry angry angry angry angry angry We need concrete proof, abi e hard to carry out survey?
Re: Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually by Joey82(m): 2:53pm On Sep 25, 2012
psalmizt: As much as I want to believe this story, I don't think it is scientific... Somehow, I feel it is likely going to be an error of generalization. No mention of his sample space, and the assumptions. I am sure he is just riding on the wave of the moment.... angry angry angry angry angry angry We need concrete proof, abi e hard to carry out survey?

what other proof do u need?
between january and october, 2011, at least 30million units of generators were imported into the country.
'i pass my neighbour alone accounted for 30-34% of the quantity.
u may not believe it but some households have 3-4 different sizes of generators, each with its use at different times of the day.
we aint even talking about industries/SMEs yet.
believe me the statistics by Dr Kabir is even moderated.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually by Tolulop001(f): 2:53pm On Sep 25, 2012
psalmizt: As much as I want to believe this story, I don't think it is scientific... Somehow, I feel it is likely going to be an error of generalization. No mention of his sample space, and the assumptions. I am sure he is just riding on the wave of the moment.... angry angry angry angry angry angry We need concrete proof, abi e hard to carry out survey?

My thoughts exactly. Sounds like a figure pulled out of the air.
Re: Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually by lookmangiw(m): 2:56pm On Sep 25, 2012
More reason why we cant have a stable power supply.
Re: Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually by Kslib(m): 2:57pm On Sep 25, 2012
This is just bullshit,pure black lie!! We spend way more than that on generators annually..

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually by Nobody: 3:04pm On Sep 25, 2012
For those who need proofs, go to Customs and get the quantity of generators imported annually, you will realize that there are more than 60 million units of generators in Nigeria, I will put it at 100 million cos an average person owns a back-up generator. Some of us own 4, lets just say at home and at office with back-ups...lol
Re: Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually by alkadriyar(m): 3:05pm On Sep 25, 2012
if u thinks hez wrong, why dont u go to the field and make ur own survey. As long as u cannot do that, just keep silence and educate urself.
"Empty barrel make the most noise" mtcheeeew
Re: Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually by amosy007: 3:10pm On Sep 25, 2012
i have 3 generators working apart from the ones that has got spoiled and cant be repair again .... i buy generator almost every six six month and i have other friends that are just like me... so i will say the man is not right because the figure is way more than what he released..... only this year i didn't buy new generator because of the lil stability in power supply
Re: Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually by amosy007: 3:15pm On Sep 25, 2012
alkadriyar:
if u thinks hez wrong, why dont u go to the field and make ur own survey. As long as u cannot do that, just keep silence and educate urself.

u really dont have to abuse him... i got his point and he got a point ... some people just stay in one corner of their dishing out different statistics that common sense will tell u its not correct just to discredit nigerian government or its people
one of those stats are ( nigeria has highest number of people that have sex daily or buy comdom or nigeria has highest of number of people that dont brush their teeth every morning or nigeria is the dirtiest place on earth )... u know ridiculous stats like that from stupiid source
Re: Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually by 0ldirty: 3:19pm On Sep 25, 2012
paradoxically, Nigeria is the only country that can both afford to buy generators and need them at the same time.

The average U.S. citizen has no need of a household generator why? Electricity is constant.

Somalis have little or no electricity and can't afford to buy generators.

GOD HELP THIS CORRUPT LAND

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually by psalmizt(m): 3:22pm On Sep 25, 2012
Joey82:

what other proof do u need?
between january and october, 2011, at least 30million units of generators were imported into the country.
'i pass my neighbour alone accounted for 30-34% of the quantity.
u may not believe it but some households have 3-4 different sizes of generators, each with its use at different times of the day.
we aint even talking about industries/SMEs yet.
believe me the statistics by Dr Kabir is even moderated.

Thanks for your mature response, I only demanded that a scientific comment be made. We all know how Nigerians like generalizing virtually everything.

alkadriyar:

I see why the lot of you make unguarded remarks, you crave attention and am not going to give you that. If you are not satisfied with a post, why don't you just ignore, better still close all processes on your system...

amosy007:

u really dont have to abuse him... i got his point and he got a point ... some people just stay in one corner of their dishing out different statistics that common sense will tell u its not correct just to discredit nigerian government or its people. one of those stats are ( nigeria has highest number of people that have sex daily or buy comdom or nigeria has highest of number of people that dont brush their teeth every morning or nigeria is the dirtiest place on earth )... u know ridiculous stats like that from stupiid source

Thanks o! I don't know y some peeps just can't make intelligent post..
Re: Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually by psalmizt(m): 3:25pm On Sep 25, 2012
psalmizt: [b][/b]As much as I want to believe this story, I don't think it is scientific... Somehow, I feel it is likely going to be an error of generalization

The post above says I am tempted to believe based on the overwhelming number of people that own generators... Still not a reason to say we spend 1.6trn annually. Abi na every year people de buy gen? Yes maybe in one particular year it can reach that amount but to say annually it implies that historically that is the amount... Some ppl sha undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually by ednut1(m): 3:28pm On Sep 25, 2012
all part of globalisation, for some to enjoy odas will suffer, all d fake gen we import ere and suffer, some manufacure in china and are makin cash, dis power supply dt has improved will soon be sabataged, true or false
Re: Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually by BlueMurder(m): 3:36pm On Sep 25, 2012
amosy007: i have 3 generators working apart from the ones that has got spoiled and cant be repair again .... i buy generator almost every six six month and i have other friends that are just like me... so i will say the man is not right because the figure is way more than what he released..... only this year i didn't buy new generator because of the lil stability in power supply

Do you have proof of the bolded?
Re: Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually by Nobody: 3:39pm On Sep 25, 2012
And who are we to blame? undecided
Re: Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually by macnuel: 3:39pm On Sep 25, 2012
True or not true. Factual figures or overstated figures, it's a big shame on the Government and the PHCN. It means that Nigerians no matter the state of the economy and bad governance can still strive to live close to what's meant to be "standard of living" while the Government meant to provide basic amenities like electricity with all the resources and manpower at its disposal fails to do so.

Enough of asking the way forward. Let those in power cover their faces in shame and resign honourably while there is still time for honour. I believe the better Nigeria lies in Nigeria. We just need to flush out the bad eggs.
Re: Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually by Jyde89: 3:41pm On Sep 25, 2012
alkadriyar:
haba bros, e no call ya name na.
Re: Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually by achi4u(m): 3:42pm On Sep 25, 2012
the truth of the matter is that if nigeria population is 160million people and above then the generators in use MUST exceed 140m and above.
Too many generators in each nigerian families
Re: Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually by achi4u(m): 3:47pm On Sep 25, 2012
berem: And who are we to blame? undecided
blame the nigeria man in power
Re: Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually by RickyRoss1(m): 4:55pm On Sep 25, 2012
If this figure is true, then Nigeria is not as poor as the white bastardsss claim?

How can up to 60 million Nigerians be able to buy generators, that's almost half of Nigeria's population? Which means more than half of Nigerians are not poor? Because a poor man cannot buy/maintain a generator? According to United Nations, a poor man is someone that lives on less than 2$ a day? Last time I checked, the cheapest generator in Nigeria is I PASS MY NEIGHBOR and its about 100$ and hardly last up to 1 year before breaking down. You need to fuel it daily and service it every few days. Some generators costs up to 30,000 USD or more.

NIGERIA IS NOT AS POOR AS BEING PORTRAYED BY THE WESTERN MEDIA.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually by sunkoye: 5:06pm On Sep 25, 2012
undecided
al-qaeda:
sorryyyy
Re: Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually by sunkoye: 5:13pm On Sep 25, 2012
fix phcn, then 50% of nigeria problem is off!
Re: Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually by tigerkkk: 5:15pm On Sep 25, 2012
the generator impoters should be invited to take over our power project,it will suceed.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually by OkikiOluwa1(m): 5:56pm On Sep 25, 2012
Could ds be true? OMG!
Re: Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually by mowk: 6:13pm On Sep 25, 2012
How did Dr. Kabir arrive at that figure....enticing conclusions!
Re: Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually by dasparrow: 6:28pm On Sep 25, 2012
@Post

I am not suprised that Nigerians spend that much money on generators. I think it is high time the government fixed this electricity issue once and for all.
Re: Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually by amosy007: 6:37pm On Sep 25, 2012
BlueMurder:

Do you have proof of the bolded?

i just use my self as an example .. what more proof do u want? have u being to computer village lately? do u know almost every house in nigeria has more than one gen? either u have 2 as an individual or u have neighbors that has more than one.. every SMES has gen.. if not big gen it will be i pass my neighbour... now talk of big companies.... do u know that most telecommunication base stations popular known as masts don't run on phcn light? do u know that they change generator of this base stations every 6 months? now multiply every mast in nigeria (from mtn to glo to aitel, starcom, multilinks etc) by 2
lets no forget other big companies too .... now come back and tell the man is right.. that people dont use more gen than he presented
Re: Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually by duality(m): 8:38pm On Sep 25, 2012
then we should all connect our generators to the national grid.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Spend N1.6trn On Generators Annually by ayobase(m): 9:02pm On Sep 25, 2012
afam4eva:
I don't get your point.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Poorest State In Nigeria / Breaking- EFCC Detains Ex Finance Minister With Embarrassing PICTURE!! / Biafra: Crisis Looms In Igbo Land

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.