Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,280 members, 7,829,629 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:49 AM

Did Jesus Have A Wife? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Jesus Have A Wife? (565 Views)

What Body Does Jesus Have In Heaven? / Why Doesnt Paul Quote Jesus? Have Been Thinking! / Could Jesus Have Been A Black Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Did Jesus Have A Wife? by frankster: 11:13am On Sep 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq3a7JAQpCM

(CBS/AP) ROME - Is a scrap of papyrus suggesting that Jesus had a wife authentic?

Scholars on Wednesday questioned the much-publicized discovery by a Harvard scholar that a 4th century fragment of papyrus provided the first evidence that some early Christians believed Jesus was married.

And experts in the illicit antiquities trade also wondered about the motive of the fragment's anonymous owner, noting that the document's value has likely increased amid the publicity of the still-unproven find.

Karen King, a professor of early Christianity at Harvard Divinity School, announced the finding Tuesday at an international congress on Coptic studies in Rome. The text, written in Coptic and probably translated from a 2nd century Greek text, contains a dialogue in which Jesus refers to "my wife," whom he identifies as Mary.

As correspondent Allen Pizzey reported on Wednesday for "CBS This Morning," the tattered piece of papyrus resembling perhaps a discarded business card dates back to the 4th century. Written in an ancient dialect, it contains just eight broken lines in faded black ink.

King's paper, and the front-page attention it received in some U.S. newspapers that got advance word about it, was a hot topic of conversation Wednesday during coffee breaks at the conference.

Newly surfaced ancient document has Jesus referring to "my wife

Christian tradition has long held that Jesus was unmarried. Any evidence pointing to whether Jesus was married or had a female disciple could have ripple effects in current debates over the role of women in the church.

"The whole idea of the priesthood being male and being celibate is based on the historical assumption that Jesus was male and was celibate and single," Serene Jones, president of New York City's Union Theological Seminary, told CBS News.

Stephen Emmel, a professor of Coptology at the University of Muenster who was on the international advisory panel that reviewed the 2006 discovery of the Gospel of Judas, said the text accurately quotes Jesus as saying "my wife." But he questioned whether the document was authentic.

"There's something about this fragment in its appearance and also in the grammar of the Coptic that strikes me as being not completely convincing somehow," he said in an interview on the sidelines of the conference

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57515933/papyrus-suggesting-jesus-had-wife-scrutinized/
Re: Did Jesus Have A Wife? by homaticaya(m): 5:56pm On Sep 26, 2012
If that's true, that means we have a lineage of god in our midst, where could they be living? parharps Nigeria, lets look for them gods are among us! afterol jesus was the son of god and he is god also. so where does the "godship" stops?

(1) (Reply)

Dream Diary Morning / The Nigerian Church Is Losing Its Purpose / Africa Un-slaved Volume I: Read And Share! Free!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.