Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,851 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:17 AM

Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir (17283 Views)

Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran War Memoir / Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir / Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by Rossikk(m): 2:37am On Sep 28, 2012
dayokanu:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/812416_561739_10151238133370120_2000093594_n_jpg6b89b653ff5a84e79c14c1aee14331d2

Chei.. who know the kind heavy contracts Obama go don land this bobo, for am to dey bow this kabiyesi level.. grin grin
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by damzbaba: 3:40am On Sep 28, 2012
[quote author=samkoro]The Greatest Heist in Modern History By Awolowo and the Yorubas Known as Indigenization of Foreign Companies in Nigeria

Nice work for the research to come up with this. But if Biafra had been successful, this would never have been an issue. From what I'm reading, the Yorubas made the most of a situation by owning shares albeit at the igbos disadvantage. The Igbos went to war to preserve their own interests also. Both tribes have put themselves first in their respective decisions. I also don't think Biafra would have extended the olive branch to yorubas, asking them to come and own businesses in the east. Nice write-up all the same. Cheers
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by damzbaba: 4:20am On Sep 28, 2012
samkoro: That long write up I posted is the reason why Nigerian presidents,Governor,ministers and other government officials would travel a million times to woo investor without success.Investors won't come cause the world know what the short sighted and tribalistic yorubas did;how they steal what does not belong to them.That indegenisation policy killed the Nigerian dream of industrialization.Those companies You-robbers stole motivated their countries of Origin,mainly the Western world to vow that Nigeria will never experience industrialization,rather they will experience,generator importation,tobacco companies and industries that won't be of any real value to it.

Deaf and dumb Ajaokuta is as a result of that.Its a pay back for that indeginisation policy.
That is also the reason why Asian investors are in a hurry to recoup what ever smal scale investment they make here thus they enslave workers to get back their money Fast before the You-robber tribalistic brain starts working

Mr Koro, now your argument is flawed. You mean corruption, power shortages, bad transportation infrastructure,a volatile political landscape and high cost of living has nothing to do with why Foreign investors aren't coming to Nigeria. Those are the reasons right there. A mixed market economy of 170 million people that has been touted to be one of the leading economies in the world by 2020 is not in any way adversely affected by the Yorubas. Meanwhile, all the major new entrants in the economy are in the west. If yorubas or Yo-robbers as you put are world renown for their thievery, why are the new foreign companies residing in their midst? Also funny, is how you make the Yorubas seem lazy and second best to the ibos, and claim that the Yorubas know it. The reason for this thread is a book by the Ibo's greatest author, and he has no Nobel prize for all his brilliance. You have blamed the entire failure of the growth of Nigeria's economy on the Yoruba's dominance of it which is also powerfully flawed. You have made no mention of the corruption that different military regimes promoted that led to the demise and decay of national financial growth. In a country where a majority of the oil fields that generate major revenue are owned by the Fulanis, yet you blame the Yorubas. Yorubas have proved themselves all over the world to be great achievers, Gatwick is owned by a Yoruba man, Hakeem Olajuwon is yoruba, Prince Bola Ajibola .. Just to mention a few. Also your list of companies owned by Yorubas, were all located in the West, I think it is only fair that people in that region bought shares in companies that benefitted from the same region. But your bias is also immense, as you use a narrow view to assess the merit of the indigenization policy. What Awolowo aimed to do, was to reduce the influence of Foreigners in the financial affairs of Nigeria and give his country men more equity which further strengthened our independence from our colonial masters. This was to benfit the entire Nigeria and it did. The clear thing here is that you don't see Nigeria, you see Igbos and the other tribes and that's fair enough. But don't try to make the Ibos more than what they really are, don't downgrade the industry and brilliance of the Yorubas. The problem with the Ibos in my opinion is that they always look to blame others for their misfortune. The outcome of the Civil war was very unfortunate, but the reality is that *the others* had a sovereignity to protect. All the tribes in Nigeria have had a hand in our developmental demise, don't absolve blame from the Ibos.

4 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by Antivirus92(m): 4:27am On Sep 28, 2012
dayokanu:

In a country where a paedophile like Ojuku is seen as a hero, A coward who fled warfront and left chilren to suffer is seen as a hero then Awolowo and Adekunle should be seen as gods.

The worst thing to ever happen to Africa was the day that useless bearded animal named Ike-eba Odumegwu Eze-Igbo wuruwuru was born
he who fights and run away will live to fiht another day. When u people leave heros like wale soyinka behind and name black demon adekunle, 419 abiola and tribalist awolowo as heroes. Don't u know that you'll never move forward?
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by dasparrow: 4:32am On Sep 28, 2012
@Post

I am going to get this book God willing. Amazon.com here in the USA will have it released on October 11th 2012. The hard copy is going for $18.45 I will buy the book because I have heard so much about Biafra and seen the sad pictures of hungry little children. I am curious to know what really happened since the parents ain't talking. I was not born during that period (thank God) but if we don't learn from the past, we are bound to repeat the same mistakes in the future.
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by bigmo1(m): 5:13am On Sep 28, 2012
Chinua Achebe is å greater writer no doubt, but this memoirs of his would be filled with lies and propagandas just like Frederick Forsythes' The Biafran story. Nevertheless I can't wait to read the book.
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by dayokanu(m): 5:14am On Sep 28, 2012
Antivirus92: he who fights and run away will live to fiht another day. When u people leave heros like wale soyinka behind and name black demon adekunle, 419 abiola and tribalist awolowo as heroes. Don't u know that you'll never move forward?

Actually in Ojukus case. Its he who fight and run away lives to molest underaged Bianca,
Lived to lose several elections,
Lived to become house boy to Abacha,
Mouth piece for IBB,
Lived to see his wife become National bicycle,
Lived to see his brother yansh his wife,
Lived to become deaf dumb and lonely in London
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by bigmo1(m): 5:27am On Sep 28, 2012
dayokanu:

Which Picture of fashola bowing to Buhari or are you retardeed ?

BTW bowing isnt a big deal Clinton bowed to Obama, Obama bowed to the king of Saudi

We bow to people older than us. unlike you people who wake your parents from the mat with sliding tackle
'Sliding Tackle' *laffing so hard my neighbour from the next flat thinks i ve gone nuts* lOooooool, ℓ̊ still can't stop laffing. @dayokanu, are u å comedian?
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by saintchris: 5:29am On Sep 28, 2012
big mo: Chinua Achebe is å greater writer no doubt, but this memoirs of his would be filled with lies and propagandas just like Frederick Forsythes' The Biafran story. Nevertheless I can't wait to read the book.
You are biased already,why bother to read it?
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by Nobody: 5:59am On Sep 28, 2012
Thrilling, terrific, pathetic, etc...thats my mentor Chinua! God bless you always prof.
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by Antivirus92(m): 6:11am On Sep 28, 2012
dayokanu:

Actually in Ojukus case. Its he who fight and run away lives to molest underaged Bianca,
Lived to lose several elections,
Lived to become house boy to Abacha,
Mouth piece for IBB,
Lived to see his wife become National bicycle,
Lived to see his brother yansh his wife,
Lived to become deaf dumb and lonely in London
and all these things u listed happened at where. Where is black demon adekunle now? Back in ogun state breaking palm kernel for break fast? Where is awolowo?committed suicide? Where is abiola? Died in prison as a convict? Lol! Cowards of the highest order!
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by ajanaku2(m): 6:47am On Sep 28, 2012
dayokanu:

Which Picture of fashola bowing to Buhari or are you retardeed ?

BTW bowing isnt a big deal Clinton bowed to Obama, Obama bowed to the king of Saudi

We bow to people older than us. unlike you people who wake your parents from the mat with sliding tackle

You mean...like Footballers do?...I dey feel you, Baba!
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by Aringarosa(m): 7:00am On Sep 28, 2012
Dayokanu, on a serious note, ain't u tired of all this ur back and forth bigoted rambling? Gosh!

It's becoming very stale, each time you keep reapeting the same thing over and over again. Don't u get bored?
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by MrGlobe(m): 7:07am On Sep 28, 2012
while ikemba ojukwu got state burial on these cowards azz.

Choi, if I be yorrobber, I go kill myself too. grin
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by Arnold1(m): 7:08am On Sep 28, 2012
Mr. Globe:

my brother don't mind the illiterate and cursed yorrober nation. Its good how their thief heroes get frustrated and messed up by their Hausa masters just like 20 year old Gowon did that tribalist 80 year old monkey awolowo making him catch the latest rat poison in the market at the time, the way the thief 'I must be president' abiola kept moving from one prison to the other till he gave up. The way Tinubu is awaiting his jail time. the yorrobber tribe will never be taken seriously any where in the world and will continue to be a stepping stool for igbos and hausas, atleast until they stop worshiping illiterates, thieves, crooks, armed robbers and extol the only hero in the entire yorobbercave soyinka.

Ojukwu fought to divide Nigeria and later took part in elections to rule the same country. Instead of fighting
to the end or surrendering, he fled to Ivory Coast. Biggest Coward of all. Need I say more?

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by Arnold1(m): 7:21am On Sep 28, 2012
Mr. Globe:

my brother don't mind the illiterate and cursed yorrober nation. Its good how their thief heroes get frustrated and messed up by their Hausa masters just like 20 year old Gowon did that tribalist 80 year old monkey awolowo making him catch the latest rat poison in the market at the time, the way the thief 'I must be president' abiola kept moving from one prison to the other till he gave up. The way Tinubu is awaiting his jail time. the yorrobber tribe will never be taken seriously any where in the world and will continue to be a stepping stool for igbos and hausas, atleast until they stop worshiping illiterates, thieves, crooks, armed robbers and extol the only hero in the entire yorobbercave soyinka.

Mr Globe, are you by any chance an Osu ?

The Osu Caste System in Igboland: Discrimination Based on Descent
[size=11pt][/size]

http://uk.geocities.com/internationaldalitsolidarity/cerd/dikeosu2002.html

The Osu, by definition, is a people sacrificed to the gods in Igbo community. And they assist the high priest of the traditional religion to serve the deities or the gods in their shrine. It is the belief of many Igbo traditionalists that the deities, which were (and are still) perceived in some quarters as being very powerful, would wreck havoc in the society, if they are not appeased.

In some special circumstances, those who hold the traditional beliefs of the Igbos could transform a Diala who committed certain atrocities against the land, into an Osu. This process involved intricate rituals (offering of libations and sacrificing animals to the earth goddess). Some of the ancestors of the present-day Osu people inherited their dehumanizing social status this way.

Because of many oral interpretations of the construct, the Osu has various definitions. It has been defined as a ‘cult slave,’ a living sacrifice,’ an ‘untouchable,’ ‘outcast,’ ‘owner’s cult,’ ‘a slave of the deity,’ and a ‘sacred and holy being.’ 3 These names mean the same: it is an abomination in the Igbo society for the Diala to marry Osu.

All human beings are created equal, but human experiences are heterogeneous. Some people have had it rough all their life on earth, while others do not have a lot to complain about. Naturally, life has the same meaning for everyone, but the Osu caste system in Igboland seems to have changed the meaning of life for a group of people branded Osu

Osu are people our igbo ancestors used to do sacrifies to the gods for the difficulties they faced then, which includes disease, lack of rain, poor farm produce, children and babies dieing etc.[/color]

The gods then asked for human sacrifies to help with these issues. When a sacrifice is offered to gods it is damned evil to touch those things.

Even in the bible when Abraham offer sacrifice to God, nobody eats the sacrify, it is burn to ashes.

The stigma that Osu have had today this that they were used for gods sacrifice and dimmed to the igbos as outcast.

To my understanding, most of then are very wealthy and brilliant people, their girls are very beautiful.

I myself will NEVER marry osu, not because I don't like them. It is because of the stigma the igbos has on them. For example, they do not involve in active igbo events. No one will elect an osu person as a governor, local chairmen, Eze, Chief, etc.[color=#990000]

If an Osu people tries to speak on behalf of the igbo he/she is immediately discredited, because of this stigma. I still have great ambitions for myself and would not want something to hold me back.

If you are not igbo you can never understand. This thing will NEVER go away and I feel very sorry for them. We call it Ome na ala (The law of our land) We cannot leave ome na ala and start to do ome na elu (Not the law of the land)

When you go to village and see how these people live, you would feel sorry from them. They do not trade because nobody would buy from them. In school nobody plays with osu children etc, it is really terrible.

If you want to leave in diaspora all your life, them marrying osu will not really affect you. But if you plan sometime in the future to return back to Nigeria, hmmm, you really have to be very careful. Remember we do not only mary for ourselfs we marry for children as well, you do not want to give our children a bad start in life.

I am sorry I have to say this, but this is the way it is and I did not make it so. Remember that osu are human being like us too.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by MrGlobe(m): 7:29am On Sep 28, 2012
Arnold1
do you also believe the ince.st and child molestation stories in the family of ife - the founder of the yorrobber tribe. that is, indiscriminate sexual activities within the ife family. Father to child, mother to child.
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by Arnold1(m): 7:37am On Sep 28, 2012
Mr. Globe:

International thief thief 'I must be president' abiola .

Accusations against Former Igbo Senate President Chuba Okadigbo - BBC

1. Bought eight official cars for $290,000 bringing his total of official vehicles to 32
2. Spent $225,000 on garden furniture for his luxury government house
3. Spent $340,000 furnishing the home to his taste, $120,000 over the authorised budget
4. The unauthorised purchased a massive generating and inflated the price to $135,000
5. Accepted a secret payment of $208,000 from public funds

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/871677.stm

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by Nobody: 7:50am On Sep 28, 2012
Claus:

I use the term war between brothers metaphorically and also borrowed from the title of the book "The Brothers War" written about the Biafran war.

Anyway, if I may explain further, I was pointing to the fact that many children did not need to die from starvation. This is especially true in a war where the desired outcome was to bring the siblings and friends of those children into a unified Nigeria to form the next generation.

The statement that "starvation is a legitimate weapon of war" was indeed very cruel when it was well known that it was mainly children that were starving to death.
dnt mind them dear,how can an educated person say boldly that killing of women and children is part of war!! That's heartless and demonic!!
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by samkoro: 7:57am On Sep 28, 2012
damzbaba:

Mr Koro, now your argument is flawed. You mean corruption, power shortages, bad transportation infrastructure,a volatile political landscape and high cost of living has nothing to do with why Foreign investors aren't coming to Nigeria. Those are the reasons right there. A mixed market economy of 170 million people that has been touted to be one of the leading economies in the world by 2020 is not in any way adversely affected by the Yorubas. Meanwhile, all the major new entrants in the economy are in the west. If yorubas or Yo-robbers as you put are world renown for their thievery, why are the new foreign companies residing in their midst? Also funny, is how you make the Yorubas seem lazy and second best to the ibos, and claim that the Yorubas know it. The reason for this thread is a book by the Ibo's greatest author, and he has no Nobel prize for all his brilliance. You have blamed the entire failure of the growth of Nigeria's economy on the Yoruba's dominance of it which is also powerfully flawed. You have made no mention of the corruption that different military regimes promoted that led to the demise and decay of national financial growth. In a country where a majority of the oil fields that generate major revenue are owned by the Fulanis, yet you blame the Yorubas. Yorubas have proved themselves all over the world to be great achievers, Gatwick is owned by a Yoruba man, Hakeem Olajuwon is yoruba, Prince Bola Ajibola .. Just to mention a few. Also your list of companies owned by Yorubas, were all located in the West, I think it is only fair that people in that region bought shares in companies that benefitted from the same region. But your bias is also immense, as you use a narrow view to assess the merit of the indigenization policy. What Awolowo aimed to do, was to reduce the influence of Foreigners in the financial affairs of Nigeria and give his country men more equity which further strengthened our independence from our colonial masters. This was to benfit the entire Nigeria and it did. The clear thing here is that you don't see Nigeria, you see Igbos and the other tribes and that's fair enough. But don't try to make the Ibos more than what they really are, don't downgrade the industry and brilliance of the Yorubas. The problem with the Ibos in my opinion is that they always look to blame others for their misfortune. The outcome of the Civil war was very unfortunate, but the reality is that *the others* had a sovereignity to protect. All the tribes in Nigeria have had a hand in our developmental demise, don't absolve blame from the Ibos.

Do not assume u have investors when u have 20 or 30 foreign companies marketing their products or at most doing assembly.It adds little or nothing to the economy of the host countries

The problem with Yoruba ethnocentricity blinds their thought.Nothing is right except its yoruba.Those companies had headquarters in Lagos but they operate all over the country.Do not mention region here because that is the problem with Yoruba;region;tribe,region tribe and nothing else.Are u saying that CocaCola ,lever bbrothers,PZ,Scoa etc operates only in south West.Admit that what u did was pure greed and theft and u can not hide the truth.I'm glad younger Igbos and even the rest of the countries have come to know this with the help of the internet.I was surprised the day a secondary school boy ask me a question pertaining Awolowo and stolen pounds of the Igbos.

Stolen things will only bring misery in future.Now tell me;has those companies solved the problem of unemployment and poverty in the southwest?How many of those companies are doing well today?

This ethnic hatred and rivalry will last for 1000 years because it is in ur blood.Your younger generation will pay the price;they are already doing that unknowinly.

That past will be sorted out wether Nigeria exist or we are seperated as a countries.
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by MrGlobe(m): 8:19am On Sep 28, 2012
Arnold1:

Accusations against Former Igbo Senate President Chuba Okadigbo - BBC

1. Bought eight official cars for $290,000 bringing his total of official vehicles to 32
2. Spent $225,000 on garden furniture for his luxury government house
3. Spent $340,000 furnishing the home to his taste, $120,000 over the authorised budget
4. The unauthorised purchased a massive generating and inflated the price to $135,000
5. Accepted a secret payment of $208,000 from public funds

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/871677.stm
smh, obviously this guy thinks am all for jokes.
the same national assembly of Patricia etteh, iyabo obasanjo?
please wake me up from this my sleep when u you name any bigger looter than obasanjo and Tinubu in any other party of the country
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by zannie(f): 8:43am On Sep 28, 2012
This is why Nigerians are so sad and bitter! Gosh don't y'all have better things to do? Spewing forth such bitterness and hate. Always going back and forth with stupidity and being childish. Igbo, Yoruba all the time.
This thread was opened to discuss a book from one of the greatest writers we have managed to produce in this country. But y'all have managed to degenerate it into bigotry. I wonder wat u guys gain from abusing each other. Why can y'all stay away from each other's business? Since y'all hate urselves so GD much?
its this illusion of being 'superior' that continuously brings our downfall everywhere we go as Nigerians. Yet we think our 'tribe' is better. Smh
I just weak for the so called 'literates' in this country.
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by Tonim(f): 9:05am On Sep 28, 2012
Arnold1:

Mr Globe, are you by any chance an Osu ?

The Osu Caste System in Igboland: Discrimination Based on Descent
[size=11pt][/size]

http://uk.geocities.com/internationaldalitsolidarity/cerd/dikeosu2002.html

The Osu, by definition, is a people sacrificed to the gods in Igbo community. And they assist the high priest of the traditional religion to serve the deities or the gods in their shrine. It is the belief of many Igbo traditionalists that the deities, which were (and are still) perceived in some quarters as being very powerful, would wreck havoc in the society, if they are not appeased.

In some special circumstances, those who hold the traditional beliefs of the Igbos could transform a Diala who committed certain atrocities against the land, into an Osu. This process involved intricate rituals (offering of libations and sacrificing animals to the earth goddess). Some of the ancestors of the present-day Osu people inherited their dehumanizing social status this way.

Because of many oral interpretations of the construct, the Osu has various definitions. It has been defined as a ‘cult slave,’ a living sacrifice,’ an ‘untouchable,’ ‘outcast,’ ‘owner’s cult,’ ‘a slave of the deity,’ and a ‘sacred and holy being.’ 3 These names mean the same: it is an abomination in the Igbo society for the Diala to marry Osu.

All human beings are created equal, but human experiences are heterogeneous. Some people have had it rough all their life on earth, while others do not have a lot to complain about. Naturally, life has the same meaning for everyone, but the Osu caste system in Igboland seems to have changed the meaning of life for a group of people branded Osu

Osu are people our igbo ancestors used to do sacrifies to the gods for the difficulties they faced then, which includes disease, lack of rain, poor farm produce, children and babies dieing etc.[/color]

The gods then asked for human sacrifies to help with these issues. When a sacrifice is offered to gods it is damned evil to touch those things.

Even in the bible when Abraham offer sacrifice to God, nobody eats the sacrify, it is burn to ashes.

The stigma that Osu have had today this that they were used for gods sacrifice and dimmed to the igbos as outcast.

To my understanding, most of then are very wealthy and brilliant people, their girls are very beautiful.

I myself will NEVER marry osu, not because I don't like them. It is because of the stigma the igbos has on them. For example, they do not involve in active igbo events. No one will elect an osu person as a governor, local chairmen, Eze, Chief, etc.[color=#990000]

If an Osu people tries to speak on behalf of the igbo he/she is immediately discredited, because of this stigma. I still have great ambitions for myself and would not want something to hold me back.

If you are not igbo you can never understand. This thing will NEVER go away and I feel very sorry for them. We call it Ome na ala (The law of our land) We cannot leave ome na ala and start to do ome na elu (Not the law of the land)

When you go to village and see how these people live, you would feel sorry from them. They do not trade because nobody would buy from them. In school nobody plays with osu children etc, it is really terrible.

If you want to leave in diaspora all your life, them marrying osu will not really affect you. But if you plan sometime in the future to return back to Nigeria, hmmm, you really have to be very careful. Remember we do not only mary for ourselfs we marry for children as well, you do not want to give our children a bad start in life.

I am sorry I have to say this, but this is the way it is and I did not make it so. Remember that osu are human being like us too.

Wow!! This is very disheartening. The thought of people being totally marginalized because their ancestors
were sacrificed to the gods makes me want to puke.

Apparently it is still being practiced. I did a google search and saw this article
on osu

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/10/osu-caste-in-igboland/

Very very pathetic practice.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Poetic Heart / Uncle Rufus (21+) / MY CAMPUS LIFE: A Love Gone Wrong {18+ AN EMOTIONAL STORY TO READ}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.