Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,728 members, 7,809,775 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:42 PM

Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir (17273 Views)

Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran War Memoir / Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir / Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by Antivirus92(m): 9:28am On Sep 28, 2012
Tonim:

Wow!! This is very disheartening. The thought of people being totally marginalized because their ancestors
were sacrificed to the gods makes me want to puke.

Apparently it is still being practiced. I did a google search and saw this article
on osu

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/10/osu-caste-in-igboland/

Very very pathetic practice.

if i were an academic doctor, i will be diagonising the yorrobbers with 2 particular ailment. 2 of them are: can't read clearly and can't understand what i read. The author even stated that" the osu system is an out-dated tradition with no basis for it's continued practice and observance in the igbo society". But this jss3 student poster can't get that into her clay skull. We told you that it once existed but doesn't exist any more, you shouted it's still existing only to post a link that even says that it doesn't exist again(out-dated).
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by Ugosample(m): 9:38am On Sep 28, 2012
I wonder why some `Nigerians are tribalistic? This attitude doesn't help at all! Or don't they know that the political elite of this country are playing with our intellegence using the tribal card. Let's try to put this attitude behind us. PLEASE! Back to the thread (enough of derailing) @OP, i will like to read the book. It will be exciting to read!
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by Whitehorse: 10:17am On Sep 28, 2012
We are here to discuss a book and people are here committing online genocide...

This is the reason i try as much as possible to reduce spending time on Nairaland.

@Seun Osawa. Nairaland has officially become a DUMP. It is your failing not ensuring your MODs are keeping things healthy and clean. It is a disgrace, pure and simple.

I know you (Seun) are making money from all the traffic hate speech generated here, but be rest assured it wont last for ever. Keep pretending or keep making half hearted clean up measures...
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by Cuddlemii: 10:41am On Sep 28, 2012
Whitehorse: We are here to discuss a book and people are here committing online genocide...

This is the reason i try as much as possible to reduce spending time on Nairaland.

@Seun Osawa. Nairaland has officially become a DUMP. It is your failing not ensuring your MODs are keeping things healthy and clean. It is a disgrace, pure and simple.

I know you (Seun) are making money from all the traffic hate speech generated here, but be rest assured it wont last for ever. Keep pretending or keep making half hearted clean up measures...

You amaze me with your statement.
What is the difference between the way you've passed your message across and the on going argument?

So, moderators should be blamed for how members decide to conduct themselves online? Are mods alpha humans or perfectionists? Aren't mods humans too? Members are bound to express themselves regardless of what is right/wrong.

As human beings, it's our sole responsibility to digest the meaningful points made & disregard garbage.

These are grown men/women, were you expecting mods to flog them or instruct them to desist from typing? If they get banned, members will complain that they were deprived of their freedom of expression. If the comments are hidden, there will be complaints about the disorderliness of the threads.

So whitehorse, what do you want? I am surprised you missed the positive contributions made on this thread & focused on the negative ones, that shows you are human too. Very typical!

2 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by mbulela: 10:46am On Sep 28, 2012
Whitehorse: We are here to discuss a book and people are here committing online genocide...

God bless you.
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by vascey(m): 10:48am On Sep 28, 2012
alex_101: I knew this will make it to the front page,,,,the magic word BIAFRA grin.

I remember the very important thread about offshore/onshore oil dicotomy,,,,it never made it to the front page, as a matter of fact, that thread vanished mysteriously. nairaland=Nigeria and they're both dying or even dead already.

Please can you provide the link to this thread?
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by vascey(m): 10:54am On Sep 28, 2012
Claus:

I use the term war between brothers metaphorically and also borrowed from the title of the book "The Brothers War" written about the Biafran war.

Anyway, if I may explain further, I was pointing to the fact that many children did not need to die from starvation. This is especially true in a war where the desired outcome was to bring the siblings and friends of those children into a unified Nigeria to form the next generation.

The statement that "starvation is a legitimate weapon of war" was indeed very cruel when it was well known that it was mainly children that were starving to death.

Dude I generally agree with your posts except for your use of the word "Brothers".
Whether used metaphorically, literally or otherwise, it is absolutely not applicable. We have never been brothers and will never be brothers. We are simply "fellow Nigerians", "country men", "fellow citizens" but never "BROTHERS". Never!!
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by Lachynos2k2(m): 10:58am On Sep 28, 2012
I HATE NAIRALAND...AM OFF TO L.I.B
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by aurenflani: 11:00am On Sep 28, 2012
@whitehorse - must u resort to insult simply because I made an input error? I see how you post only Achebe's rediculously unscientific accusations against the Nigerian side as if we don't know that he was being judgemental in a case he was actively and deeply involved!

All his actions and utterances after the war was recordef and all serious minded history students know him as being biased when it comes to Yoruba and Hausa leaders. He should have done well to write a fiction which is his primary calling and not delved into history of which he was a party thereby causing himself to be viewed by his fellow african colleaques as a tribal and sectional champion at this critical times.
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by Cuddlemii: 11:05am On Sep 28, 2012
This thread will be locked until further notice. Thanks!
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by REALIKUKU: 3:59pm On Sep 28, 2012
This is a book i have been waiting for a long time,hope the Ohaneze Ndigbo and the entire old Eastern Nigeria will recommend and make it compulsory for all primary and secondary schools and also make it a GST course in all tertiary institutions in that Hebrew nation called BIAFRA.How i wish the late head of state General Emeka Odimegwu Ojukwu is alive to see the book.
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by mrperfect(m): 8:35pm On Sep 28, 2012
I know it will be full of information.
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by ElaineFoster: 10:42pm On Sep 28, 2012
Achebe' memoirs, "unread" by most, have really opened up some old wounds.
I am a product of slavery, different tribes were thrown together and we all had to get along. Suggest you all try the same, only then will Nigeria emerge from the darkness that currently engulfs her.

all this vitriolic spat is a futile exercise.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by illicit(m): 12:04am On Oct 02, 2012
there was a country
owned and operated by sissies.
Re: Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir by Fasterboy: 4:46pm On Oct 04, 2012
[quote author=big mo]
'Sliding Tackle' *laffing so hard my neighbour from the next flat thinks i ve gone nuts* lOooooool, ℓ̊ still can't stop laffing. @dayokanu, are u å comedian?[/quote
maybe u av started losing it. good medication is important o]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigeria Was Sinking When Buhari Took Power -soyinka / Aduke / My Days As An OAU Fresher - True Life Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.