Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,294 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:09 AM

The Meaning Of O/D Botton On Automatic Gear Selector In Cars - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Meaning Of O/D Botton On Automatic Gear Selector In Cars (5009 Views)

Quick Meaning Of 'P','R','N','D','2','L' And 'OD' For Autogears / Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box / Function Of 1, 2, And D In Automatic Gear. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Meaning Of O/D Botton On Automatic Gear Selector In Cars by kellystech(m): 11:56am On Sep 27, 2012
Pls auto geeks in the house I want to know the meaning of that botton and should it be on or off
Re: The Meaning Of O/D Botton On Automatic Gear Selector In Cars by Nobody: 12:32pm On Sep 27, 2012
kellystech: Pls auto geeks in the house I want to know the meaning of that botton and should it be on or off

Your Owner's Manual would tell you.
Re: The Meaning Of O/D Botton On Automatic Gear Selector In Cars by Wallie(m): 2:06pm On Sep 27, 2012
kellystech: Pls auto geeks in the house I want to know the meaning of that botton and should it be on or off

It should be switched on.

O/D (Over Drive) is an older technology that allows your car to have extra gears for efficient highway traveling. When you're cruising on the highway, O/D gives you an additional gear that's greater that your final drive gear of 1:1, which means that you can maintain a higher cruising speed at a lower RPM. Low RPM = more fuel savings.

Newer cars now include O/D in the car's transmission and the manufacturers don't even bother labeling it as such but it is usually the last gear or two. For example, I have an 8 speed transmission that allows me to cruise at 75 mph (121 km/h) @ 1500 rpm in 8th gear.

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of O/D Botton On Automatic Gear Selector In Cars by kellystech(m): 7:08pm On Sep 27, 2012
Wallie:

It should be switched on.

O/D (Over Drive) is an older technology that allows your car to have extra gears for efficient highway traveling. When you're cruising on the highway, O/D gives you an additional gear that's greater that your final drive gear of 1:1, which means that you can maintain a higher cruising speed at a lower RPM. Low RPM = more fuel savings.

Newer cars now include O/D in the car's transmission and the manufacturers don't even bother labeling it as such but it is usually the last gear or two. For example, I have an 8 speed transmission that allows me to cruise at 75 mph (121 km/h) @ 1500 rpm in 8th gear.
thanks for the info am very greatful
Re: The Meaning Of O/D Botton On Automatic Gear Selector In Cars by alancruise(m): 8:13am On Oct 11, 2012
Pls gurus in d house,@siena@ikenna & others in d house.
pls i drive a toyota camry orobo 94 model & my O/D Lights blinks wen driving after 2mins and it's very hard for d gear only select 1 to 2, very hard for it to move to 3, wen driving.
Wat might be d problem? Some says it's d gear brain box dat ave issues? Anoda says might be some incorrect connection in d wirin system of car? Pls wat should i do? Bèfore i take a wrong step. Thanks
Re: The Meaning Of O/D Botton On Automatic Gear Selector In Cars by Nobody: 8:22am On Oct 11, 2012
alancruise: Pls gurus in d house,@siena@ikenna & others my O/D Lights blinks and it's very hard for d gear to select 3, wen on d road? Wat might be d problem? Some says it's d gear brain box dat ave issues? Anoda says might be some incorrect connection in d wirin system of car? Pls wat should i do? Bèfore i take a wrong step. Thanks

Your transmission is in limp mode. I would advice a scan, post the codes here, and we'll see what sort of remote assistance we can offer.

#JusticeforAluu4
Re: The Meaning Of O/D Botton On Automatic Gear Selector In Cars by alancruise(m): 8:32am On Oct 11, 2012
Siena:

Your transmission is in limp mode. I would advice a scan, post the codes here, and we'll see what sort of remote assistance we can offer.

many thanks for d prompt answer, just to chip dis in i just change d gear due to d former leakin oil, but d o/d light waz bin blinkin on d former too
#JusticeforAluu4

(1) (Reply)

2001 Rav4 Needs Urgent Help / 6 Causes Of Smelly Car Exhaust Fumes / Pontiac Vibe Versus Toyota Corolla

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.