Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,419 members, 7,819,513 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:25 PM

Under Jonathan, S/west, N/west Now Minorities – Akintola (SAN) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Under Jonathan, S/west, N/west Now Minorities – Akintola (SAN) (1510 Views)

This Buhari's Tweet On Fuel Scarcity Under Jonathan Has Got Everyone Talking(pic / N/west Abandons Senate Presidency, Seeks Senate Leader Slot / Presidency Caught Showcasing Kwankwaso’s Projects As GEJ'sAchievements In N-West (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Under Jonathan, S/west, N/west Now Minorities – Akintola (SAN) by mekuslogan: 2:39pm On Sep 27, 2012
Under Jonathan, S/West, N/West now minorities – Akintola (SAN)
Our Reporter September 25, 2012 18 Comments »
Under Jonathan, S/West, N/West now minorities – Akintola (SAN)

From TAIWO AMODU, Abuja

A legal practitioner, Chief Adeniyi Akintola (SAN), has admonished politicians from the South-west and North-west geo-political zones in the country to bury mutual ethnic suspicionso as to take their rightful place in the amalgam, Nigeria. In this interview with Daily Sun in Abuja, he frowns at what he perceives as the marginalisation of the two major zones in the country under the Dr Goodluck Jonathan administration.

Excerpts:

The President, at the NBA conference, said he appeared to be the most vilified president but he gave assurance that ultimately, Nigerians would see him as someone they would adore most. Do you see him walk the talk?

No, certainly not, because morning shows the day. There is the principle of law that we lawyers like so much: that you cannot give what you don’t have. He doesn’t have what it takes to turn anything around. So, he should forget it. Quite a lot of us, including my humble self, had thought he would make the difference, we had high hopes from him but so far, so bad.

At that forum he also said the country had experienced a lot of distortions and enormous challenges ever before he came on board and all the blames were being heaped on him…

(cuts in) That he uttered that statement, he should subject it to empirical analyses. Why did he vie for the position in the first place? Things are so bad, you have to go and correct them, not to aggravate them. There is a saying in Yoruba that, God, if you cannot help my position, leave me as I am. You ask yourself, what we were in 2010 and where you are now as a Nigerian. Unless you are a thief, unless you are in government.

Even within the South-south zone, they are now having dichotomy, it means something is wrong. You have security challenge at your disposal, very grievous one but you are sitting down there in the Villa. Every community in the world has set of people we call the gatekeepers, there is no community in the world that doesn’t have gatekeepers. Our President doesn’t know the gatekeeper of any town in this country.

The gatekeepers aren’t the ministers and senators you see around in Abuja. Tell me, for example, when you talk of commanding the respect of the people and enjoying their support, can all the 18 senators from the North-west, are they up to one Sultan of Sokoto? You are from Oyo State, all the three senators from the state, are they up to one Arisekola? If I may ask, all the 18 senators from South-west, are they up to one Bola Tinubu? My brothers, these are the gatekeepers! We don’t even have these charismatic people in the Federal Executive Council, we don’t have them. So, the man must appreciate the fact that he doesn’t know the political arithmetic of Nigeria.

He is having security challenge from the North and the South-west is crying of marginalisation and yet, he isn’t doing anything. But the comments have always been that the South-west didn’t vote for PDP? But should that be the reason? Didn’t they vote for him? Who are the people that made it possible for him to even become acting president in the first place? If that is the position, it is rather unfortunate.

Well, talking about marginalisation, you were one of the facilitators of the Yoruba Assembly, which met and made some resolutions. How feasible are these against the background of the fact that the North is already wary of this?

The North? Yes, you see, that’s the beauty of federalism. Every component part ought to be allowed to develop at its own pace and ventilate its ideas. You don’t expect the North, to swallow the position of the South- west, hook, line and sinker; you don’t expect the South-west to swallow whatever the North wants, hook line and sinker. You see, in a federation you desire union because you only surrender part of your freedom to the centre. It isn’t a master-servant relationship thing.

The North has its reasons for taking its positions and you have to look at the historical and religious background. For instance, where I come from in the West, religion is a non-issue. In fact, the only thing you can do to ruin yourself socially and politically, economically in the West is to carry religion on your head. It is a non issue. But to an average Northerner it is an issue. So, we are bound to have our differences.

Don’t forget that in Nigeria today, the South-west is the only region that has land and sea borders, no other region does. So, naturally, they will be wary of our position. We are saying let us recognise our differences and respect it. The far North is landlocked, no access to the sea; the South-south has access to the sea, no lands border; the South- east is landlocked on all sides. That is a reality you must appreciate. Even within the South-west region, the differences are there. Like I did emphasise on that day, some states in the South-west are landlocked, some have access to the sea and to land border, some have access only to land border, no access to the sea. So, you must appreciate all these.

When you look at the North and the South-west, there isn’t much difference. If there is any difference between the North and the South, it is ego. Remove ego, there is no reason they should be bickering between the two regions.

But there is mutual distrust on political issues

Borne out of ego and because of this mutual distrust, the two regions have suddenly found themselves to be minorities, in a country where they control over 60 per cent of the population. Look at it this way: If the two zones alone control over s60 per cent of the population, don’t forget that the same North-west, have their kiths and kin in North-east, they have in North-central. The South- west too, have their kiths and kin in North-central and South-south. So, by the time you add all these together…. If only they will remove this mutual suspicion, borne out of ego, there is no reason they should be the one crying of marginalisation. At least, a minority has been tested now and we have seen the result.

A forum of leaders from South-south, the South-south Assembly, recently passed a resolution: that in 2015, President Jonathan must have a second term. What is your take on this?

It mustn’t be a matter of must; they are entitled to it and the rest of the country are also entitled to either accept or reject. It is a democracy, a game of numbers, from here to the United States. Every fool knows that once you get the votes of New York, California, Texas, you are home and dry. You only need some spread. Ditto in Nigeria. If you can get the votes of Lagos and Kano States, you are home and dry, you only need some geographical spread – 25 per cent. Nigeria is such a large country that you can become the president of this country by not winning election in 12 states – by not having anything from 12 states, you still win – and you have majority lawful votes. If you can get Lagos and Kano States, you only need to be looking for 25 per cent all over the place and you will be home and dry.

So, if they think they can make anybody President by threat, by intimidation… they should be told that they don’t have monopoly of violence. I think the Yoruba made that clear; nobody has monopoly of violence. That some people are being mild in their approach to issues doesn’t mean that they are fools.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/politics/under-jonathan-swest-nwest-now-minorities-akintola-san/
Re: Under Jonathan, S/west, N/west Now Minorities – Akintola (SAN) by mekuslogan: 2:41pm On Sep 27, 2012
See how ordinary local Ijaw fisherman put Yoruba and nama people kingdom into obscurity? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Tinubu is busy filling his pocket and deceiving them into believing they are being rescued from obscurity

The Akinjide Man said SW and NW have same COW mentality. Na waoh!

3 Likes

Re: Under Jonathan, S/west, N/west Now Minorities – Akintola (SAN) by floriana(m): 2:50pm On Sep 27, 2012
SW refused to be rescued from the hands of rascals. Their punishment is 'minoritisation' until they wisen up. LOL

2 Likes

Re: Under Jonathan, S/west, N/west Now Minorities – Akintola (SAN) by kunlekunle: 2:59pm On Sep 27, 2012
Mr presido has commited the most feared and debated principle of democracy,
"when minority rules"
Re: Under Jonathan, S/west, N/west Now Minorities – Akintola (SAN) by FrankC3: 3:01pm On Sep 27, 2012
I disagree. I will rather ask who rejected PDP choice of a SWner as House of Rep speaker and aligned with Northerners to establish Tambuwal just to ensure that there is ONLY one Yoruba National Leader? Who is isolating SW from the rest of the country by constantly ensuring that national cooperation doesn't happen? Who was ridiculing the FG for demanding that FG and LASG work together for the betterment of the SW? I think some other zones have walked that road before and are wiser now.

3 Likes

Re: Under Jonathan, S/west, N/west Now Minorities – Akintola (SAN) by sbeezy8: 3:15pm On Sep 27, 2012
I dont see where this is coming from. His assessment is based on the number of slots each region is given.

If all SW officials are ACN opposition why would they want to be apart of the government they are opposing?

Its people like Akintola that are the anti-SW. The time the SW was the MOST marginalised was under Obasanjo No doubt about. President came and left the region with the SW being divided even among PDP members.

1 Like

Re: Under Jonathan, S/west, N/west Now Minorities – Akintola (SAN) by Afam4eva(m): 3:23pm On Sep 27, 2012
I don't understand why people want to eat their cake and still have it. How does a region that's governed by the ACN still want to be dominant in a PDP federal government. It doesn't work that way my friend.

1 Like

Re: Under Jonathan, S/west, N/west Now Minorities – Akintola (SAN) by chino24: 3:39pm On Sep 27, 2012
Thump up GEJ for really sending these Yoruba almajiris more especially the ofemmanus into dark ages. grin grin

GEJ for president 2015!! cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Under Jonathan, S/west, N/west Now Minorities – Akintola (SAN) by revomind(m): 3:42pm On Sep 27, 2012
afam4eva: I don't understand why people want to eat their cake and still have it. How does a region that's governed by the ACN still want to be dominant in a PDP federal government. It doesn't work that way my friend.

Knew you'd be here...
Chief Akinjide is a PDP man not an ACN man. When ACN figures start making fraudulent accusations like this, you can take the 'people' up on wanting 'to eat their cake and still have it'.
Re: Under Jonathan, S/west, N/west Now Minorities – Akintola (SAN) by Aderostock(m): 3:46pm On Sep 27, 2012
Ok, lets agree.
1. Are those regions not marginalised developed than the southwest in particular. OR
2. Are those people more influential.
Please cut this crap!
Re: Under Jonathan, S/west, N/west Now Minorities – Akintola (SAN) by AustineE1: 3:50pm On Sep 27, 2012
...just thinking,must the yorrobers always drag others to assist them in battles.am more than ever convinced that cowardice is genetical to this tribe!..the foolish incestous senator thinks that every body in Lagos are yorobbers,by the time voting begins he will realise that 45-55% of people in Lagos are nt yorobbers!!!come 2015,thesame thing that happened in south-west during the last presidential election,will still come to play ie PDP all the way,the only changes is that we may also pull down ACN in governorship!...blabbing senator,soonest he will go behind for a brown envelop,just the way they betrayed their own Abiola!or worst still,cry like there slow-poke generals,Oladipo Diya and co!

1 Like

Re: Under Jonathan, S/west, N/west Now Minorities – Akintola (SAN) by chino24: 3:53pm On Sep 27, 2012
Austine.E:
...just thinking,must the yorrobers always drag others to assist them in battles.am more than ever convinced that cowardice is genetical to this tribe!..the foolish incestous senator thinks that every body in Lagos are yorobbers,by the time voting begins he will realise that 45-55% of people in Lagos are nt yorobbers!!!come 2015,thesame thing that happened in south-west during the last presidential election,will still come to play ie PDP all the way,the only changes is that we may also pull down ACN in governorship!...blabbing senator,soonest he will go behind for a brown envelop,just the way they betrayed their own Abiola!or worst still,cry like there slow-poke generals,Oladipo Diya and co!

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Under Jonathan, S/west, N/west Now Minorities – Akintola (SAN) by Afam4eva(m): 3:55pm On Sep 27, 2012
revomind:

Knew you'd be here...
Chief Akinjide is a PDP man not an ACN man. When ACN figures start making fraudulent accusations like this, you can take the 'people' up on wanting 'to eat their cake and still have it'.
He should put in more efforts to hijack the south-west from ACN before he starts talking about marginalization. I don't even think the south-west is more marginalized than other major regions.
Re: Under Jonathan, S/west, N/west Now Minorities – Akintola (SAN) by iykak47: 4:16pm On Sep 27, 2012
Frank-C:
I disagree. I will rather ask who rejected PDP choice of a SWner as House of Rep speaker and aligned with Northerners to establish Tambuwal just to ensure that there is ONLY one Yoruba National Leader? Who is isolating SW from the rest of the country by constantly ensuring that national cooperation doesn't happen? Who was ridiculing the FG for demanding that FG and LASG work together for the betterment of the SW? I think some other zones have walked that road before and are wiser now.
questions begging for answers, but people prefare to blame GEJ instead of answering these important questions.
Re: Under Jonathan, S/west, N/west Now Minorities – Akintola (SAN) by Nobody: 4:51pm On Sep 27, 2012
mekuslogan: See how ordinary local Ijaw fisherman put Yoruba and nama people kingdom into obscurity? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Tinubu is busy filling his pocket and deceiving them into believing they are being rescued from obscurity

Re: Under Jonathan, S/west, N/west Now Minorities – Akintola (SAN) by truth4meal(m): 5:09pm On Sep 27, 2012
mekuslogan: See how ordinary local Ijaw fisherman put Yoruba and nama people kingdom into obscurity? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

it was actually dat cow mentality dat devour ur grass mentality during the civil war - you guys are only making a d minority south-south ghostly per second, with ur 3 million votes Jonah can neva be more than a governor of Bayelsa; soon wil reaped the fruit of dis una discord.
Re: Under Jonathan, S/west, N/west Now Minorities – Akintola (SAN) by truth4meal(m): 5:15pm On Sep 27, 2012
iykak47: questions begging for answers, but people prefare to blame GEJ instead of answering these important questions.
your prejudiced mind will not make d answer obvious - if you must knw Yorubas are not bigots we supported Tambuwa and so far he is doing great. Kip rambling in ur parochial cesspool; we ve exceeded bigotry to flaming progressiveness. Idiots like u can kip looking for answers to dis question - is Jonah different frm a Titus?
Re: Under Jonathan, S/west, N/west Now Minorities – Akintola (SAN) by truth4meal(m): 5:21pm On Sep 27, 2012
afam4eva:
He should put in more efforts to hijack the south-west from ACN before he starts talking about marginalization. I don't even think the south-west is more marginalized than other major regions.
Your failed warlord, Ojukwu founded APGA - a wise man like u shld be preoccupied with wrestling d East from PDP in d favour of ur belligerent leader but ur obtuse brain is concerned about ACN...And for u to use d word hijack shows u re dull-witted. Dnt be SW saviour, your pple need u in d east...

1 Like

Re: Under Jonathan, S/west, N/west Now Minorities – Akintola (SAN) by iykak47: 7:10pm On Sep 27, 2012
truth4meal: your prejudiced mind will not make d answer obvious - if you must knw Yorubas are not bigots we supported Tambuwa and so far he is doing great. Kip rambling in ur parochial cesspool; we ve exceeded bigotry to flaming progressiveness. Idiots like u can kip looking for answers to dis question - is Jonah different frm a Titus?
omo ale ur father and mother are 1d!ots not me, if you don't have answer to these questions you keep quiet. olobruku omo oshi.
Re: Under Jonathan, S/west, N/west Now Minorities – Akintola (SAN) by Weigher: 7:51pm On Sep 27, 2012
Those who call themself progressive are d one causing all dis problem we are facing today, adding being they all support mulikat adeola in d interest of our region as rgd tambuwal, our cry 4 marginalization wil not be much as it is now..... We sell ourselves because of hatred. I beg noffin concern Gej jare
Re: Under Jonathan, S/west, N/west Now Minorities – Akintola (SAN) by basisop(m): 9:18pm On Sep 27, 2012
This fear, fear fool is seeking for cheap friendship with the North. I wonder what he is trying to achieve, those fulanis will still kill his brothers anytime.
Re: Under Jonathan, S/west, N/west Now Minorities – Akintola (SAN) by flexya: 9:44pm On Sep 27, 2012
A very intellectual presentation by learned SAN. I respect ur views bt only time will tell whether u r right. Personally, I suspect u r speakin from an informed position based on what u know Northern leaders and SW leaders are discussing/plannin.

That ur proverb: "Orisa bi o le gbe mi, fi mi bi ose ba mi" is indicting.
Re: Under Jonathan, S/west, N/west Now Minorities – Akintola (SAN) by Elueme: 10:10pm On Sep 27, 2012
'
He is having security challenge from the North and the South-west is crying of marginalisation and yet, he isn’t doing anything. But the comments have always been that the South-west didn’t vote for PDP? But should that be the reason? Didn’t they vote for him? Who are the people that made it possible for him to even become acting president in the first place? If that is the position, it is rather unfortunate.
'
I shake my head when I see a supposed well learned man beat the tribal drum. This tribal gingoist and sentiment is very precocious of akintola... Yorubas feeling marginalized today was orchestrated by the greed of the person he(Akintola) has summarily adored in his interview.. We are not bereft of history and it's still fresh in our memory how Tinubu and ACN lawmakers mobilised for Tambuwal in a political chess to scuttle the PDP arrangement for a Yoruba lady speaker. Akintola should be corrigible to apportion his blames rightly and leave our president out of his misery.
Re: Under Jonathan, S/west, N/west Now Minorities – Akintola (SAN) by alex14(m): 3:36pm On Sep 28, 2012
"Don’t forget that in Nigeria today, the South-west is the only region that has land and sea borders, no other region does. So, naturally, they will be wary of our position. We are saying let us recognise our differences and respect it. The far North is landlocked, no access to the sea; the South-south has access to the sea, no lands border; the South- east is landlocked on all sides. That is a reality you must appreciate. Even within the South-west region, the differences are there. Like I did emphasise on that day, some states in the South-west are landlocked, some have access to the sea and to land border, some have access only to land border, no access to the sea. So, you must appreciate all these"

This man is one of the many reasons I say nigerians, yorubas in particular are stark illiterates. According to this fool called Akintola; "the SW is the only region with land and sea borders",,,,,what an irredemable goat. So a place like Rivers which borders the atlantic to the south and borders Abia, Imo and Anambra states to the north does not amount to having land and sea borders in akintola's eyes? Delata, Akwa Ibom and Cross rivers all borders the atlantic to the south and states to the north.
I just don't know how I ended up with these illiterates from the SW who have eternally condemned their miserable selves to serving those stinking vampires in the north as their slaves. The lying northern bastar.ds claimed that the north is more populated than the south and this Yoruba man echoed thesame thing angry. Chei Awolowo, see the product of your fake 'free education'.
Re: Under Jonathan, S/west, N/west Now Minorities – Akintola (SAN) by WilyWily5: 5:17pm On Sep 28, 2012
Akintola,
Is this Ofemadu man (Adeniyi)the Son of former tiger face premier of Werstern Region?,
Re: Under Jonathan, S/west, N/west Now Minorities – Akintola (SAN) by Nobody: 5:38pm On Sep 28, 2012
EXCELLENT WRITE UP!!121 GUN SALUTE
Re: Under Jonathan, S/west, N/west Now Minorities – Akintola (SAN) by mekuslogan: 1:06am On Sep 29, 2012
alex_101:
"Don’t forget that in Nigeria today, the South-west is the only region that has land and sea borders, no other region does. So, naturally, they will be wary of our position. We are saying let us recognise our differences and respect it. The far North is landlocked, no access to the sea; the South-south has access to the sea, no lands border; the South- east is landlocked on all sides. That is a reality you must appreciate. Even within the South-west region, the differences are there. Like I did emphasise on that day, some states in the South-west are landlocked, some have access to the sea and to land border, some have access only to land border, no access to the sea. So, you must appreciate all these"

This man is one of the many reasons I say nigerians, yorubas in particular are stark illiterates. According to this fool called Akintola; "the SW is the only region with land and sea borders",,,,,what an irredemable goat. So a place like Rivers which borders the atlantic to the south and borders Abia, Imo and Anambra states to the north does not amount to having land and sea borders in akintola's eyes? Delata, Akwa Ibom and Cross rivers all borders the atlantic to the south and states to the north.
I just don't know how I ended up with these illiterates from the SW who have eternally condemned their miserable selves to serving those stinking vampires in the north as their slaves. The lying northern bastar.ds claimed that the north is more populated than the south and this Yoruba man echoed thesame thing angry. Chei Awolowo, see the product of your fake 'free education'.

That is an average Yoruba for you. So starkly illiterate and ignorant that you will almost puke
Re: Under Jonathan, S/west, N/west Now Minorities – Akintola (SAN) by pluto04(m): 1:54am On Sep 29, 2012
alex_101:

This man is one of the many reasons I say nigerians, yorubas in particular are stark illiterates. According to this fool called Akintola; "the SW is the only region with land and sea borders",,,,,

He is referring to national borders and not interstate borders.

Elueme: '
I shake my head when I see a supposed well learned man beat the tribal drum. This tribal gingoist and sentiment is very precocious of akintola... Yorubas feeling marginalized today was orchestrated by the greed of the person he(Akintola) has summarily adored in his interview.. We are not bereft of history and it's still fresh in our memory how Tinubu and ACN lawmakers mobilised for Tambuwal in a political chess to scuttle the PDP arrangement for a Yoruba lady speaker. Akintola should be corrigible to apportion his blames rightly and leave our president out of his misery.

He has to adore the man since his influence is bringing Akintola lots of juicy litigations.
Re: Under Jonathan, S/west, N/west Now Minorities – Akintola (SAN) by saintneo(m): 2:34am On Sep 29, 2012
pluto04:

so what does cross-river have? Amphibious border?
Re: Under Jonathan, S/west, N/west Now Minorities – Akintola (SAN) by mekuslogan: 3:00am On Sep 29, 2012
pluto04:

He has to adore the man since his influence is bringing Akintola lots of juicy litigations.

Cross River State has a very long boundary with Cameroon. So does AKwa Ibom state, though at a narrow strip. You have joined in the Yoruba ignorance
Re: Under Jonathan, S/west, N/west Now Minorities – Akintola (SAN) by gregg2: 5:09am On Sep 29, 2012
pluto04:

He is referring to national borders and not interstatd
So S/south doesnt have boarders with Camaroon?

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News: Sincere 9gerian Exposed! / 2015_we'll Stop APC In The South East-igbo Youths / President Jonathan Decorates Aliko Dangote And Tony Elumelu As Ambassadors (PIX)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.