Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,398 members, 7,819,420 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:59 PM

Policeman Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Killing A Little Girl - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Policeman Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Killing A Little Girl (19398 Views)

Nigeria Rental Car Operator Sentenced To Death By Hanging In Malaysia(photos) / Police Inspector To Die By Hanging For Murder / Mob Kill A Policeman In Gombe For Allegedly Killing A Man (Graphic Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Policeman Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Killing A Little Girl by ambrosini593(m): 6:18pm On Sep 27, 2012
An Ikeja High Court presided over by Justice Olabisi Akinlade has sentenced a 35-year old Police Corporal, Okechukwu Nwabueze, to death for killing a three-year old girl, Kaosara Muritala three years ago in Lagos, southwest Nigeria.

Okechukwu was alleged to have shot and killed the girl on 5 April, 2009 at a police check point located at Obanle-Aro near Mr. Biggs in Alapere, Ketu.

Three witnesses including the deceased father, a police officer and Professor John Obafunwa, a pathologist testified against the accused person.

Delivering Judgment in the matter today, Justice Akinlade held that the prosecution had proved the case against the former police officer beyond reasonable doubt

The Judge noted that in his defence the convict gave contradictory account of what happened on the fateful day but admitted that he expended two rounds of ammunition that day.

The judge also noted that the convict claimed that he shot into the air to scare the driver of the car who allegedly refused to stop.

In his testimony, the deceased father claimed that the police never stopped them and that he only heard a gunshot few metres away from the checkpoint.

In her final judgment, Justice Akinlade upheld the case of the prosecution and subsequently sentenced Corporal Okechukwu Nwabueze to death by hanging.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/09/27/nigerian-police-corporal-sentenced-to-death/

7 Likes

Re: Policeman Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Killing A Little Girl by Pysam(m): 6:44pm On Sep 27, 2012
Oh oh this is blood for blood God help us

1 Like

Re: Policeman Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Killing A Little Girl by Onlytruth(m): 6:46pm On Sep 27, 2012
One of those rare good judgements from Nigerian courts!
I wish that all people who have ever been killed by Nigerian security personnel will receive a similar justice at the courts!

Here I stand! cool

10 Likes

Re: Policeman Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Killing A Little Girl by OYINBOGOJU(m): 7:09pm On Sep 27, 2012
Eye for an Eye
Blood for Blood

50/50 No cheating

1 Like

Re: Policeman Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Killing A Little Girl by passionate88: 1:47am On Sep 28, 2012
This hanging sef bad o.. Make naija do get lethal injection.. That type dm use 4 abacha... Painless nd fast..

1 Like

Re: Policeman Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Killing A Little Girl by chimimi(f): 1:48am On Sep 28, 2012
Ω̴̩̩̩̥α waooo....RIP in advance
Re: Policeman Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Killing A Little Girl by shadeltec: 1:51am On Sep 28, 2012
I hope this will stand in appeal, because it is man slaughter and not murder. I hope this not a deliberate platform to make room to through the case away in appeal.
Re: Policeman Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Killing A Little Girl by shadeltec: 1:52am On Sep 28, 2012
I hope this will stand in appeal, because it is man slaughter and not murder. I hope this is not a deliberate platform to make room to throw the case away in appeal.

1 Like

Re: Policeman Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Killing A Little Girl by fitzmayowa: 1:54am On Sep 28, 2012
shadeltec: I hope this will stand in appeal, because it is man slaughter and not murder. I hope this not a deliberate platform to make room to through the case away in appeal.
Exactly my thoughts
Re: Policeman Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Killing A Little Girl by Nobody: 2:04am On Sep 28, 2012
Killing the guy doesn't bring the girl back. An eye for an eye makes the world blind!

12 Likes

Re: Policeman Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Killing A Little Girl by NNBB2012: 2:04am On Sep 28, 2012
This is a rare judgement in recent time. I hope this will definitely serve as deterrent to trigger-happy policemen that we have in that country. So many peoples’ lives have been wasted due to their carelessness.
Imagine, a police officer stopped my official vehicle sometimes ago around Ketu, asking for the roadworthiness of a new car. After wasting our time, I responded by telling him that a new car doesn't require roadworthiness. He continued his intense argument on his demand, which I try to counter him as well; He concluded by saying he would shoot me just because spoke against him. I had to calm down least one trigger-happy man cut short my life.
Most of them are stack illiterates. God will purge of dear country of these evil men in uniform

9 Likes

Re: Policeman Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Killing A Little Girl by lat4real: 2:06am On Sep 28, 2012
SimonAndal: Killing the guy doesn't bring the girl back. An eye for an eye makes the world blind!

MUMU

21 Likes

Re: Policeman Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Killing A Little Girl by Nobody: 2:07am On Sep 28, 2012
Hanging in this time and day for manslaughter?
Re: Policeman Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Killing A Little Girl by Nobody: 2:10am On Sep 28, 2012
lat4real:

MUMU
_
I don't know that word, sorry. But answer me this, really: does killing the bloke bring the girl back to life? If so, go right ahead. If not, well that's murder. Two murders don't make a life.

3 Likes

Re: Policeman Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Killing A Little Girl by Nobody: 2:15am On Sep 28, 2012
undecided
Re: Policeman Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Killing A Little Girl by ashson: 2:20am On Sep 28, 2012
An eye for an eye, dats just d logic. life doesnt pass life, dats a law in islam. good sharia finally
Re: Policeman Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Killing A Little Girl by StarFlux: 2:26am On Sep 28, 2012
While this is a terrible crime, killing Okechukwu Nwabueze, as he is called, is wrong. I don't understand why anyone would want more blood shed for the already shed blood.

It is as the Yoruba proverb says: obo ni yo para e. This man, in a sense, already killed himself when foolishly shooting an innocent girl. Whether it be physical or mentally, remains to be seen. If there is no regret, then he should be put on life time and we should leave the rest to God.

2 Likes

Re: Policeman Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Killing A Little Girl by tellwsdom: 2:44am On Sep 28, 2012
No better news again for this forum..If e no be jim iyke is eating popcorn, it wld be genevieve has started smoking or tondo dike has just drew tattoo on her boobbss--WTF?? angry angry I just pray seun realises this dust all over his page sad sad
Re: Policeman Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Killing A Little Girl by naptu2: 2:49am On Sep 28, 2012
1) Circa 1987, policemen at a check point at the junction of Adeniji Adele and Idumagbo Avenue shot at a danfo bus which they claimed refused to obey their order to stop (the danfo driver would later claim that the policemen tried to extort money from him). The bullets missed their target, instead hitting and killing Saka and Momodu Dawodu.

Lagos Island erupted in violence. Policemen had to ditch their uniform and change into mufti to avoid being lynched. The government was desperate to quell the riot because Lagos Island was just a few kilometres from the Presidency at Dodan Barracks. Reinforcements were called in. You would not believe the amount of tear gas that was released around Central Lagos (the tear gas lead to the death of Alhaji Lateef Jakande's father).

Two policemen were arrested. One pleaded guilty and was quickly hanged. The other pleaded not guilty, lost the case and appealed all the way to the Supreme Court. He was hanged in 1989.

2) This particular policeman faces a very long time on death row, because the government cannot hang him. According to law, only a licensed hangman, who has gone to the hangman school, can hang a person sentenced to death in Nigeria. There are no licensed hangmen in Nigeria. The last time somebody was hanged in Nigeria was in 1995 (Ken Saro-Wiwa and colleagues). A licensed hangman was brought in from Ghana to hang them. There are no licensed hangmen in Ghana anymore. Since then, everybody that has been sentenced to death in Nigeria has had to spend an indefinite period on death row. A lawyer is trying to get all of them freed on the grounds that waiting indefinitely for death is cruel and inhuman punishment.

Note: Hanging is the only legal means of executing a person in Nigeria. The military used death by firing squad, but that means of executing a person is not in our statute books.

3 Likes

Re: Policeman Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Killing A Little Girl by christiancy(m): 3:03am On Sep 28, 2012
mehn..i feel 4 d officer but justice is no respecter of feelings...we must b careful in life 2 avoid disgrass cry
Re: Policeman Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Killing A Little Girl by Nobody: 3:28am On Sep 28, 2012
I don't believe in sentencing to death because in my opinion, that is an easy way out. He should be let to rot in jail.
Re: Policeman Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Killing A Little Girl by sissa: 3:30am On Sep 28, 2012
That is good 4 inresposible police..Thank u jooooooge.
Re: Policeman Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Killing A Little Girl by VoodooDoll(m): 3:40am On Sep 28, 2012
Sounds like justice being served on a cold dish.

Naija policemen shoot for fun and sport, time for him to stretch his long throat one last time!

No Justice, No peace.
Re: Policeman Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Killing A Little Girl by spykid014(f): 4:05am On Sep 28, 2012
Onlytruth: One of those rare good judgements from Nigerian courts!
I wish that all people who have ever been killed by Nigerian security personnel will receive a similar justice at the courts!

Here I stand! cool

GBAM!!!!!!!! No peace for the wicked! GodBless that Judge, maay her days be long!

1 Like

Re: Policeman Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Killing A Little Girl by onlineadejoh(m): 4:19am On Sep 28, 2012
Two wrongs cannot make a right, I feel pained that a little girl who knows nothing died as a result of the recklessness of this policeman, but hanging him doesn't sound justifiable cos the did is done already. He could be subjected to other forms of hard punishment rather than this 'teeth for taath' approach.

1 Like

Re: Policeman Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Killing A Little Girl by mizzyboy007: 4:28am On Sep 28, 2012
onlineadejoh: Two wrongs cannot make a right, I feel pained that a little girl who knows nothing died as a result of the recklessness of this policeman, but hanging him doesn't sound justifiable cos the did is done already. He could be subjected to other forms of hard punishment rather than this 'teeth for taath' approach.
monkey

2 Likes

Re: Policeman Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Killing A Little Girl by logica(m): 4:32am On Sep 28, 2012
Well; they should give all Nigerian policemen first row seats at the gallows on the day of his execution.

8 Likes

Re: Policeman Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Killing A Little Girl by Ranoscky(m): 4:51am On Sep 28, 2012
Just take that bastardd to the zoo (lions den to be precise) and let them have a happy day tearing him apart.
Re: Policeman Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Killing A Little Girl by dasparrow: 4:53am On Sep 28, 2012
@Post

I feel sorry for the little girl who lost her life just like that. I don't wish that any parent should have to bury their own kids but rather wish for long life for all kids. I know the parents are still feeling the pain of their daughter's death.

1 Like

Re: Policeman Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Killing A Little Girl by Nobody: 4:53am On Sep 28, 2012
2012 and Nigeria is Hanging Policemen?

Interesting Post by the username "Alani"

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/09/27/police-corporal-to-die-by-hanging-for-killing-3-yr-old-girl/

Alani
September 27, 2012 - 6:43 pm

Ibo facing Yoruba justice, by Yoruba judge in Yoruba land. This cse is one of culpable homicide .
Not pure murder in the line duty.
Re: Policeman Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Killing A Little Girl by yemmight(m): 4:56am On Sep 28, 2012
naptu2: 1) Circa 1987, policemen at a check point at the junction of Adeniji Adele and Idumagbo Avenue shot at a danfo bus which they claimed refused to obey their order to stop (the danfo driver would later claim that the policemen tried to extort money from him). The bullets missed their target, instead hitting and killing Saka and Momodu Dawodu.

Lagos Island erupted in violence. Policemen had to ditch their uniform and change into mufti to avoid being lynched. The government was desperate to quell the riot because Lagos Island was just a few kilometres from the Presidency at Dodan Barracks. Reinforcements were called in. You would not believe the amount of tear gas that was released around Central Lagos (the tear gas lead to the death of Alhaji Lateef Jakande's father).

Two policemen were arrested. One pleaded guilty and was quickly hanged. The other pleaded not guilty, lost the case and appealed all the way to the Supreme Court. He was hanged in 1989.

2) This particular policeman faces a very long time on death row, because the government cannot hang him. According to law, only a licensed hangman, who has gone to the hangman school, can hang a person sentenced to death in Nigeria. There are no licensed hangmen in Nigeria. The last time somebody was hanged in Nigeria was in 1995 (Ken Saro-Wiwa and colleagues). A licensed hangman was brought in from Ghana to hang them. There are no licensed hangmen in Ghana anymore. Since then, everybody that has been sentenced to death in Nigeria has had to spend an indefinite period on death row. A lawyer is trying to get all of them freed on the grounds that waiting indefinitely for death is cruel and inhuman punishment.

Note: Hanging is the only legal means of executing a person in Nigeria. The military used death by firing squad, but that means of executing a person is not in our statute books.

Kai. I remember this story vividly well. I stayed close to Anikantamo and I think the two brothers were shot in okepopo plank market. If u see how military marched on that road that period as if they were ready for war. Anyway that has gone but I think Govt should find another way of dealing with this so that convicted pple will not always go unpunished. On a lighter mood, we can get lots of these hangmen from nolywood coz I have watched some films like that and pple were perfectly hanged.

2 Likes

Re: Policeman Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Killing A Little Girl by yankidelta(m): 5:07am On Sep 28, 2012
tellwsdom: No better news again for this forum..If e no be jim iyke is eating popcorn, it wld be genevieve has started smoking or tondo dike has just drew tattoo on her boobbss--WTF?? angry angry I just pray seun realises this dust all over his page sad sad

Why don't you bring your news and let's verify. Is this not news worthy of being on the front page considering the dastardly act and the court judgment?

Don't let me call you an idiot oo.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NDLEA Uncovers Drug Cartel In Enugu Airport / Blogger Babatunde Oyedepo (naijagistlive) Arrested By Lagos Police Over Scam / Man Attacked By Fulani Herdsmen In Bilachi, Adamawa (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.