Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,701 members, 7,809,661 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:41 PM

Jessica Cox The First Armless Pilot - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Jessica Cox The First Armless Pilot (13249 Views)

Pls Read -bought A Honda Pilot 03 Without Even Having The Intention To. / Armless Man Banned From Driving (Pics and Video) / Highlander Vs Pilot Vs Murano----advice! Advice ! Advice ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jessica Cox The First Armless Pilot by vichofu(m): 9:10am On Sep 28, 2012
Jessica Cox suffered a rare birth defect and was born without any arms. None of the prenatal tests her mother took showed there was anything wrong with her. And yet she was born with this rare congenital disease, but also with a great spirit.

The psychology graduate can write, type, drive a car, brush her hair and talk on her phone simply using her feet.

Ms Cox, from Tuscon, Arizona, USA, is also a former dancer and double black belt in Tai Kwon-Do.

She has a no-restrictions driving license, she flies planes and she can type 25 words a minute.

The plane she is flying is called an Ercoupe and it is one of the few airplanes to be made and certified without pedals. Without rudder pedals Jessica is free to use her feet as hands. She took three years instead of the usual six months to complete her lightweight aircraft licence, had three flying instructors and practiced 89 hours of flying.

[img]http://4.bp..com/_mmBw3uzPnJI/ST_q9UIt4yI/AAAAAAAAXV4/G4llnJXPSTY/s400/Jessica-Cox-01.jpg[/img]
[img]http://3.bp..com/_mmBw3uzPnJI/ST_q2ltTRAI/AAAAAAAAXVw/VB_pSJnchhw/s400/Jessica-Cox-02.jpg[/img]
[img]http://1.bp..com/_mmBw3uzPnJI/ST_q2jwh0hI/AAAAAAAAXVo/-IS8nc2VrWY/s400/Jessica-Cox-03.jpg[/img]
[img]http://2.bp..com/_mmBw3uzPnJI/ST_q2QzvOXI/AAAAAAAAXVg/Bk8MeB-Fpdo/s400/Jessica-Cox-04.jpg[/img]
[img]http://3.bp..com/_mmBw3uzPnJI/ST_q2IL5HRI/AAAAAAAAXVY/nsqcE1NSWxw/s400/Jessica-Cox-05.jpg[/img]

http://www.fourwinds10.net/siterun_data/health/disabilities/news.php?q=1235257118

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2IqpPSF9-U

Wonderful, I'll say.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jessica Cox The First Armless Pilot by Nobody: 10:30am On Oct 03, 2012
Shocking. shocked shocked

Very Inspiring. Amazing how some disabled people "tend" to be Hardworking, Lively and Cheerful.

1 Like

Re: Jessica Cox The First Armless Pilot by Todaynatoday: 10:32am On Oct 03, 2012
Thank God you were not born in Nigeria or else you would have ended up as another arm-less beggar on the streets of Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: Jessica Cox The First Armless Pilot by k2039: 10:33am On Oct 03, 2012
[size=13pt]
There is no handicap except that of our minds. There is no limit to our potential except that which is self-imposed.

She is teaching us to be brave & strong, that if she can how much more we that are physical abled.
[/size]
Re: Jessica Cox The First Armless Pilot by adidimeme(m): 10:33am On Oct 03, 2012
Hmmmmm...another mystery...God is working here.
Re: Jessica Cox The First Armless Pilot by executinal(m): 10:34am On Oct 03, 2012
GOD is great
Re: Jessica Cox The First Armless Pilot by fittty(m): 10:35am On Oct 03, 2012
No be me go gree make this kind pilot fly me sha lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Jessica Cox The First Armless Pilot by Nobody: 10:37am On Oct 03, 2012
Whew! When I read she flies planes, my mind just went straight to Dana Airways!! But how pesin wan take fly plane without hands abeg? Oyinbo can turn impossibilities around! Kudos to her anyway.
Re: Jessica Cox The First Armless Pilot by Sijo01(f): 10:37am On Oct 03, 2012
This is lovely! Wonderment shall never end....... Indeed there is ability in disabilty.
Re: Jessica Cox The First Armless Pilot by Pukkah: 10:38am On Oct 03, 2012
HQ: Shocking. shocked shocked

Very Inspiring. Amazing how some disabled people "tend" to be Hardworking, Lively and Cheerful.

It's very inspiring and uplifting especially able-bodied people who, instead of working to surmount their challenges, see 'enemies' everywhere and wait on 'miracles' to happen without lifting a finger.

John Foppe was also born without arms and he can write and drive as many as many other things.

Re: Jessica Cox The First Armless Pilot by dridowu: 10:40am On Oct 03, 2012
With God all things are possible, no room for an excuse. If she can succeed, then I dat am physically fit should not complain. God is GREAT
Re: Jessica Cox The First Armless Pilot by drzed: 10:42am On Oct 03, 2012
...And some of us able-bodied think our lives are hard.
This is the real deal, right here. Thumbs up. Hats off. I take a bow.
Re: Jessica Cox The First Armless Pilot by Nobody: 10:42am On Oct 03, 2012
God is great! No matter your condition, never fail to appreciate Him.
Re: Jessica Cox The First Armless Pilot by Shaw007(m): 10:46am On Oct 03, 2012
Ha,i for swear!! Me think say na passenger plane,i for don talk sey no be me go follow them enta d planegringrin

on a more serious note;this lady right here and dah ugliest woman case has inspired me and taught me a lot,shows that true strenght and beauty truly lies within!! BravO...
Re: Jessica Cox The First Armless Pilot by goofie: 10:46am On Oct 03, 2012
Todaynatoday: Thank God you were not born in Nigeria or else you would have ended up as another arm-less beggar on the streets of Lagos.

u took it right out of my mouth
Re: Jessica Cox The First Armless Pilot by Ponel: 10:48am On Oct 03, 2012
Todaynatoday: Thank God you were not born in Nigeria or else you would have ended up as another arm-less beggar on the streets of Lagos.
I swear she for don be beggar by now.grin
Re: Jessica Cox The First Armless Pilot by Demdem(m): 10:51am On Oct 03, 2012
This is impressive however will their reflexes remain the same as they grow older?
Re: Jessica Cox The First Armless Pilot by Okijajuju1(m): 10:54am On Oct 03, 2012
All I can think of is Her skills in bed.. If she can do all these with no arms, then armless sex must be WOW!! If she can do it, then I have no excuse for failure..
Re: Jessica Cox The First Armless Pilot by ivili(m): 10:55am On Oct 03, 2012
all i have to say is END SHALL NEVER WONDER.

1 Like

Re: Jessica Cox The First Armless Pilot by bjohnsen: 10:55am On Oct 03, 2012
What's your excuse
Re: Jessica Cox The First Armless Pilot by Flygerian1(m): 10:56am On Oct 03, 2012
1daful.
Re: Jessica Cox The First Armless Pilot by 001solar(m): 10:57am On Oct 03, 2012
This is some thing all able peeps mush watch out 4, one of d mystery of the living God
Re: Jessica Cox The First Armless Pilot by Adanyebe(m): 10:59am On Oct 03, 2012
I will think it twice to enta the kind of plane she flies.... LOl cheesy
Re: Jessica Cox The First Armless Pilot by dasparrow: 11:00am On Oct 03, 2012

No kidding! Nigerian society looks down on the disabled. It is no wonder in Nigeria streets and buildings are not constructed with the disabled in mind. Look how well the Nigerian disabled athletes performed in the recently concluded paralympics yet they were hardly spoken about or placed on front page here on Nairaland even though they performed better than their able bodied counterparts who represented us at the Olympics and brought back zero medals. We honestly have a long way to go as a country.
Re: Jessica Cox The First Armless Pilot by drzed: 11:02am On Oct 03, 2012
This story is a lesson for us all in Nigeria, both the educated and the illiterate.

We should learn to fight disability with determination. And by that I am not referring to the determination of disabled people only. We, the rest of society should also be determined to encourage our disabled people to achieve whatever they want to achieve. This begins with moral support to start with. I am sure Jessica had words of encouragement and cheerful smiles around her always. These kind of support would have helped her forget about her limitations (disability) and focus on her potential (achievables).

Apart from moral support, we should also be proactive in paving the way for our disabled people to become useful members of society. This requires other kinds of support which is not only financial. Having teachers/trainers who are WILLING to be patient and to go the extra mile is essential.

Having laws, policies, subsidies and incentives (e.g. free education up to university) which are favourable to the development of disabled people is therefore a very good starting point.

The poverty in the land as well as the inept and corrupt leadership notwithstanding, disabled people are human beings like the rest of us. We must carry them along. Disability is certainly not inability.

2 Likes

Re: Jessica Cox The First Armless Pilot by chucky234(m): 11:03am On Oct 03, 2012
Just as women are succeeding with their gender equality war I think these handicaps are gradually staking a claim especially in Nigeria where our paralympians came back from the Paralympics with medals while our ablebodied athletes could not even bring back a quarter medal let alone a full medal,though many Nigerian handicaps find it easier turning a street beggar than being creative but am sure there are still few creative ones out there who can make things happen.
This is no doubt an enormous inspiration to all paralyzed persons, watch out for the next handicap governors in your state.
Re: Jessica Cox The First Armless Pilot by Caseless: 11:07am On Oct 03, 2012
Ability in disability!
Re: Jessica Cox The First Armless Pilot by misreal(m): 11:12am On Oct 03, 2012
berem: Whew! When I read she flies planes, my mind just went straight to Dana Airways!! But how pesin wan take fly plane without hands abeg? Oyinbo can turn impossibilities around! Kudos to her anyway.
lwkmd
Re: Jessica Cox The First Armless Pilot by Madukaele(m): 11:13am On Oct 03, 2012
I aint entering dat plane.
Re: Jessica Cox The First Armless Pilot by Nobody: 11:15am On Oct 03, 2012
i wont fly with her. Thats all
Re: Jessica Cox The First Armless Pilot by Nobody: 11:23am On Oct 03, 2012
armless beggar? Even people wey get complete hands and legs dey beg! Na only for Naija you go see beggar wey get Blackberry phone! When you offer a nigerian beggar a job,he/she would tell you he/she rather beg than work! I dey fear naija beggars I swear!
Re: Jessica Cox The First Armless Pilot by soicyboi1(m): 11:28am On Oct 03, 2012
Really CRAY!!.....I hope y'all 9ja bytches learn from this rather than just playing the GOLD DIGGER when y'all gat your hands intact..........keeping it ICY.....

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? / Which Is More Stressful To Clean The Interior Or The Exterior Of A Car? / Using Car Engine For Generator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.