Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,765 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:57 PM

Barbershop Brings More Profit Than Cybercafe. True/ False ? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Barbershop Brings More Profit Than Cybercafe. True/ False ? (16652 Views)

Invest And Earn More Profit In The Poultry Business / Cybercafe Mega Business Opportunity @ Your Doorsteps / Setting Up A Cybercafe: Detailed Requirements Please (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Barbershop Brings More Profit Than Cybercafe. True/ False ? by ghettodreamz(m): 6:54am On Oct 24, 2012
I think the CyberCafe biz has drastically fallen for years, when people can easily surf the internet on their phone, and even with the inception of the internet doggles from Starcomms, Multi-links and the likes, large percentage of people would preferred buying internet modem for their laptops which they can use anywhere they are, whether in their respective homes or away on a trip, as long as they can afford the costs.

I for one, think the Cafe business is a No-Go area, but it all depends on location. If you can do a well meaningful visibility study about what the people in your area or vicinity mostly needed and found unreadily available to them in the area, then that might be a lucrative business to venture into.

A million question to ask when venturing into any business is to know who your target clients/customers would be, that's the most crucial of it all. I think the salon business is a good one, it also depends on the location and creating good awareness too would equally help. You can start with male hair-cut, watch it for a while, if there is a good turnover of people and as the customers increases in number and demands also increases, you might consider expanding the biz, hiring more hands to work for you, and maybe going into Unisex salon properly.

Below are key tips to be put into considerations;

Hiring competent hands
Giving good incentives to your staffs (This would help to encourage them and also make them stay-put)
Having good facilities in place
Good pricing system
Last but not the least which is mostly effective is building good customer service/relationship management.

It won't do any harm adding maybe a small butik side-way to it, that's after the business has boomed and you have high number of customers patronizing the biz shop, is all about doing business and making profit, diversification won't hurt either, as a win-win thing.

I hope this helps.

2 Likes

Re: Barbershop Brings More Profit Than Cybercafe. True/ False ? by isaco(m): 6:58am On Oct 24, 2012
acidosis™:
I got this for you, sir

Startup summary
2 Rotating Chairs (although ordinary chairs may do for a start): N10,000
1 Long waiting chair: N10,000
Tables: N6,000
Mirrors: N12,000
3 original Clippers: N9,000
4 Cover Clothes: N2,000
Barbing ‘Cosmetics’ (Spirit, powder, aftershave etc): N3,000
Generator: N20,000
Sterilizer: N15,000
Others: N30,000

Total: N117,000

N.B you many also need a.c and other cooling facilities.
Meanwhile you can check this blog for more on strategy, opportunity & challenges. (The blog isn't mine)

lagosbusinesses..com/2011/10/how-to-setup-profitable-barbing.html?m=1
wat about shop rentage?
Re: Barbershop Brings More Profit Than Cybercafe. True/ False ? by nurmanteasynoni: 7:05am On Oct 24, 2012
acidosis™:

You're right, caracta. Location is a criteria to judge..
some places, you can get a hair-cut for #200 while some other places like Abuja, u've got to hold 1k to sit on the chair..

. Na lie u dey lie, na which side of abj u dey stay wey u go dey use 1000 for hair
Re: Barbershop Brings More Profit Than Cybercafe. True/ False ? by aieromon(m): 7:29am On Oct 24, 2012
nurmanteasynoni: . Na lie u dey lie, na which side of abj u dey stay wey u go dey use 1000 for hair

I have had a haircut for N1000 at Wuse 2. I was really mad that day because it was N150 then in Lagos.

I cut my hair now for N300 every three weeks. Some people shave every week and the guy is really making cool money. No matter where you locate your salon,as long as you are good,people will troop in.

1 Like

Re: Barbershop Brings More Profit Than Cybercafe. True/ False ? by NnamdiN: 7:29am On Oct 24, 2012
Original WAHL Clipper costs about N7,000 for one, so amend the clipper price.
Re: Barbershop Brings More Profit Than Cybercafe. True/ False ? by seal777(m): 8:03am On Oct 24, 2012
adultebony: I've run a Cafe before and there was a barbing saloon right beside me. I'll tell you what, barbing saloon is far more lucrative and less stressful. The initial capital required to setup a cafe and the running cost is pretty high whereas for a barbing saloon it's not so. While I charge N150 per hour, the barber charges N300 per head (which takes about 30 min to barb). Most of the time, he's got more people in his shop than mine, especially weekends! He doesn't pay monthly fee on ISP, service about 10 systems at interval, dealwith viruses, buy consumables like paper, toner, etc. Forget man, cafe business no be yam o! Eventually I had to setup a wifi zone within the area and it made more sense.

[b]
I have a cyber cafe as we speak which i run out of interest and i concur with your ssubmission in whole : Its not a mean task most expecially employing someone to manage it for you couple with the complexities, power and low sales. I take solace in the fact that i used averagely the same amount it cost the whole cafe daily in subscription to re new my modem before i set up the cafe, so i assume i was still doing that while i make money from other visiting customers. Despite the enourmous challenges, With recent increased power supply, its getting very very interesting while i charge competitive prices to encourage customers ( N100 /hr ) while i sometimes offer 2hrs for N150 to beat the GSM providers to it..........It has really helped me stay in business.

I am into internet marketing to get extra cash while i have made life changing friends online based on sincerity that has brought me priceless local and international connections.......the guy who helps me in shipping cars in from the US now is a product of such internet connections ( STRICT SINCERITY AND HONESTY ).

I make it a point of duty to register myself and other members of the families yearly for the lottery FREE OF CHARGE, that i dont do when i use it privately, Funny enough several of my friends have won the DV lottery through this self help encouragement while 3 won this year and happily MY GOOD SELF.

It allows me to stay in tune with friends and families, watch movies, do several jobs i would have spend money on while i do all the maintainance jobs myself since i am vast in computer software and hardware maintainance.

Hopefully, i will be collapsing the business before i leave for the states instead of leaving it for anyone because they MIGHT not be able to manage it as much as i do.

For those who dont have my type of personal interest but solely for profit making, go for barbing to save yourself the hassles BUT REMEMBER THAT EVERY BUSINESS MAKES MORE MONEY WHEN YOU ARE NOT INTO IT.

REMEMBER : In whatever you do, put PASSION FIRST and the cash flow will come while you are ultimately fufilled by doing what you like.[/b]

3 Likes

Re: Barbershop Brings More Profit Than Cybercafe. True/ False ? by Profs: 8:26am On Oct 24, 2012
Ryabcool: Please how much dyu think do I need to start up in Lagos. Feel like having a side business that could be generating change for me at the moment. Will employ someone to do the barbing. So how much dyu think can start me up comfortably?
Thanks
I open mine earlier this year and cost about 350k.08189848346 for question
Re: Barbershop Brings More Profit Than Cybercafe. True/ False ? by Ariyke: 8:49am On Oct 24, 2012
Barbing is more lucrative than cyber-cafe
Re: Barbershop Brings More Profit Than Cybercafe. True/ False ? by ACM10: 9:01am On Oct 24, 2012
acidosis™:
I got this for you, sir

Startup summary
2 Rotating Chairs (although ordinary chairs may do for a start): N10,000
1 Long waiting chair: N10,000
Tables: N6,000
Mirrors: N12,000
3 original Clippers: N9,000
N9000 each = N27,000
4 Cover Clothes: N2,000
Barbing ‘Cosmetics’ (Spirit, powder, aftershave etc): N3,000
Generator: N20,000
Sterilizer: N15,000
Others: N30,000

Total: N117,000

N.B you many also need a.c and other cooling facilities.
Meanwhile you can check this blog for more on strategy, opportunity & challenges. (The blog isn't mine)

lagosbusinesses..com/2011/10/how-to-setup-profitable-barbing.html?m=1

A/C(1hp) - N35,000 for LG
Shop Rent -
Sanitation -
Local Govt Levy -
Security -
NEPA -
Painting -
Electric appliances -
Etc -
Re: Barbershop Brings More Profit Than Cybercafe. True/ False ? by Nobody: 9:04am On Oct 24, 2012
nurmanteasynoni: . Na lie u dey lie, na which side of abj u dey stay wey u go dey use 1000 for hair
dem full abj my guy, I have a friend that cut for 1k + a documentary I read/watch on nta some months back..
NB: you will also get a special treatment on your hair.. #compulsory.
Btw, I'm not based in abj.
Re: Barbershop Brings More Profit Than Cybercafe. True/ False ? by Nobody: 9:07am On Oct 24, 2012
ACM10:

Shop Rent -
Sanitation -
Local Govt Levy -
Security -
NEPA -
Painting -
Electric appliances -
Etc -

lol.. all join sir.. but "others" covers some of this bills you listed.. except rent though..

1 Like

Re: Barbershop Brings More Profit Than Cybercafe. True/ False ? by OkwaIfugo(m): 9:10am On Oct 24, 2012
As long as the Cafe doesn't do online registrations like waec, neco, gce, jamb, post ume etc YES barber shop earns more than him in profit. but if the cafe does registrations it will be able to make what the barber shop cannot make in 3 months in just 3 days.

1 Like

Re: Barbershop Brings More Profit Than Cybercafe. True/ False ? by ACM10: 9:13am On Oct 24, 2012
NnamdiN: Original WAHL Clipper costs about N7,000N9,000 for one, so amend the clipper price.
Re: Barbershop Brings More Profit Than Cybercafe. True/ False ? by ACM10: 9:17am On Oct 24, 2012
acidosis™:

lol.. all join sir.. but "others" covers some of this bills you listed.. except rent though..
It's not true! I did a related business when I was in the university. I know how much I spent on others.
Re: Barbershop Brings More Profit Than Cybercafe. True/ False ? by honeric01(m): 9:28am On Oct 24, 2012
ACM10:
It's not true! I did a related business when I was in the university. I know how much I spent on others.

Why not just provide your own estimated cost rather than argue with his own list? since you did it while in school, help the forum with your own list haba.
Re: Barbershop Brings More Profit Than Cybercafe. True/ False ? by ACM10: 9:31am On Oct 24, 2012
seal777: .

[b]
I have a cyber cafe as we speak which i run out of interest and i concur with your ssubmission in whole : Its not a mean task most expecially employing someone to manage it for you couple with the complexities, power and low sales. I take solace in the fact that i used averagely the same amount it cost the whole cafe daily in subscription to re new my modem before i set up the cafe, so i assume i was still doing that while i make money from other visiting customers. Despite the enourmous challenges, With recent increased power supply, its getting very very interesting while i charge competitive prices to encourage customers ( N100 /hr ) while i sometimes offer 2hrs for N150 to beat the GSM providers to it..........It has really helped me stay in business.

I am into internet marketing to get extra cash while i have made life changing friends online based on sincerity that has brought me priceless local and international connections.......the guy who helps me in shipping cars in from the US now is a product of such internet connections ( STRICT SINCERITY AND HONESTY ).

I make it a point of duty to register myself and other members of the families yearly for the lottery FREE OF CHARGE, that i dont do when i use it privately, Funny enough several of my friends have won the DV lottery through this self help encouragement while 3 won this year and happily MY GOOD SELF.

It allows me to stay in tune with friends and families, watch movies, do several jobs i would have spend money on while i do all the maintainance jobs myself since i am vast in computer software and hardware maintainance.

Hopefully, i will be collapsing the business before i leave for the states instead of leaving it for anyone because they MIGHT not be able to manage it as much as i do.

For those who dont have my type of personal interest but solely for profit making, go for barbing to save yourself the hassles BUT REMEMBER THAT EVERY BUSINESS MAKES MORE MONEY WHEN YOU ARE NOT INTO IT.

REMEMBER : In whatever you do, put PASSION FIRST and the cash flow will come while you are ultimately fufilled by doing what you like.[/b]
I love your story. Sounds cool cool Yours is a success case. You are focused on your aim from the outset. Honesty and hardwork pays! I noticed that people who succeeds in business are those who derives fun in it.
If you remain this focused in US; I bet that u will blow in the shortest time interval. Some convert cybercafe to a nest of scammers. Ofcourse, they folds after few months. But it seems like u did otherwise. Keep it up!
Re: Barbershop Brings More Profit Than Cybercafe. True/ False ? by fm7070: 9:33am On Oct 24, 2012
ACM10:

Shop Rent - and refurbishing. Aluminuim door, etc
Sanitation -
Local Govt Levy -
Security -
NEPA -
Painting -
Electric appliances -
Etc -
Re: Barbershop Brings More Profit Than Cybercafe. True/ False ? by jackbennie: 9:37am On Oct 24, 2012
emilyone: is this business only for the male folks

if you can get a female dat can barb very well u will get more customers than the male barber
Re: Barbershop Brings More Profit Than Cybercafe. True/ False ? by ACM10: 9:41am On Oct 24, 2012
honeric01:

Why not just provide your own estimated cost rather than argue with his own list? since you did it while in school, help the forum with your own list haba.
It depends on the location. Those expenses he left behind varies from one location to the other. They can be pretty substantial in some areas.
Well, I graduated from the university many years ago. Figures which I might put here may be wrong because it may have revised upwards.
BTW, I'm not arguing with him. I'm only trying to prompt him to factor in some expenses. What he put up was so straightforward, while it is much more complicated in reality.
Re: Barbershop Brings More Profit Than Cybercafe. True/ False ? by kuntash: 9:48am On Oct 24, 2012
@ all, thanks alot, pls can someone assist me with the exam board contact? - NECO, JAMB and WAEC

rgds topic.... location as many people have agreed is a factor, and in everything you do, be it cafe or barber's shop, garnishing the whole show with superb taste makes you stand out, ordinarily, the setup of a standard cafe can get up 1M or more with 10-15 systems, and as such one would expect a better turn over, however, the biz is bedeviled by issues as power, etc. but I tell you placing a cafe that's really tushed with good link and speed, perfect area for patronage, a barber's shop cant match the returns.
Re: Barbershop Brings More Profit Than Cybercafe. True/ False ? by silvernus0: 9:53am On Oct 24, 2012
Ryabcool:
Wow! Thank you very much for this piece of info. This puts things into perspective.

bros u have not pasid for shop nahh
wat of the rent cost for 2 years withagent and agrrement fee
Re: Barbershop Brings More Profit Than Cybercafe. True/ False ? by Nobody: 10:23am On Oct 24, 2012
acidosis™:

dem full abj my guy, I have a friend that cut for 1k + a documentary I read/watch on nta some months back..
NB: you will also get a special treatment on your hair.. #compulsory.
Btw, I'm not based in abj.
N1,000 to use and cut my hair? the barber better buy a cutlass to use and cut my whole head off. Sey wetin happen, try that one for dis Festac Cynthia death go beta pass your own.
Re: Barbershop Brings More Profit Than Cybercafe. True/ False ? by benz33(m): 10:38am On Oct 24, 2012
True
Re: Barbershop Brings More Profit Than Cybercafe. True/ False ? by honeric01(m): 11:08am On Oct 24, 2012
ACM10:
It depends on the location. Those expenses he left behind varies from one location to the other. They can be pretty substantial in some areas.
Well, I graduated from the university many years ago. Figures which I might put here may be wrong because it may have revised upwards.
BTW, I'm not arguing with him. I'm only trying to prompt him to factor in some expenses. What he put up was so straightforward, while it is much more complicated in reality.

Kindly give us your own rough estimate (sample test)
Re: Barbershop Brings More Profit Than Cybercafe. True/ False ? by Ryabcool(m): 12:58pm On Oct 24, 2012
honeric01:

Kindly give us your own rough estimate (sample test)
I'm in support
Re: Barbershop Brings More Profit Than Cybercafe. True/ False ? by Ryabcool(m): 12:59pm On Oct 24, 2012
silvernus0:

bros u have not pasid for shop nahh
wat of the rent cost for 2 years withagent and agrrement fee
oga I don realize am. I d̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ jump before
Re: Barbershop Brings More Profit Than Cybercafe. True/ False ? by Meedu(m): 1:06pm On Oct 24, 2012
Barbing ofcourse, these days even some women barb. I went to a barbing saloon one evening, thinking am the next in-line, little did i know that the two ladies gisting @ the corner were also waiting grin
Re: Barbershop Brings More Profit Than Cybercafe. True/ False ? by Abrantie: 1:23pm On Oct 24, 2012
Numerous posts have dissed the cybercafe business, but I'd say it can be lucrative if one does a few things differently. It is more than a computer business. It is primarily a service industry in which you can add value to the core business.

When someone walks into your internet cafe, what else besides web surfing or printing would they be willing to pay for? Off the cuff, I think about pastries (not just meat pies), hot and cold beverages and fresh juices etc. This could be your opportunity to experiment with the patisserie business which you could spin-off separately later. Team up with someone who can bake or supply the pastries wholesale or just learn to bake yourself grin.

Most times, I'd enter business establishments simply to cool off when the weather is unbearably hostile outside. What if you could add a comfortable lounge/library-like section, complete with books, newspapers as a service by itself?

Basically, try to have as many profit centers as possible and not just depend on the revenue from internet usage. One more thing though -- for a cybercafe, try your best to have the fastest possible internet connection. That is what would retain your customers if your location has a lot of competing cybercafes.

Someone already mentioned wifi and that's true. Wifi expands the physical computing area of a cybercafe, and allows those with their own devices to become paying customers without even using the cafe's workstations.

The cybercafe business is more costlier to start than a barbering shop, but can be more satisfying. Of course, the success of these ideas depends on location and start-up capital. In the long run, it boils down to your interest. I for one will not enjoy cutting people's smelly hair all day, but that's just me.
Re: Barbershop Brings More Profit Than Cybercafe. True/ False ? by miqos02(m): 1:35pm On Oct 24, 2012
you can even combine both

1 Like

Re: Barbershop Brings More Profit Than Cybercafe. True/ False ? by perrychocks(f): 1:41pm On Oct 24, 2012
It depends on de location nd de standard of de shop as well,
Re: Barbershop Brings More Profit Than Cybercafe. True/ False ? by ACM10: 2:08pm On Oct 24, 2012
I will post a picture of a typical barber's shop in Nigeria

Re: Barbershop Brings More Profit Than Cybercafe. True/ False ? by ACM10: 2:12pm On Oct 24, 2012
entrance

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jaiz Bank To Open 13 Branches This Year / I Need Opay Referral Code / Skye Bank Takes Over Mainstreet Bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.