Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,434 members, 7,819,575 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:23 PM

Nigeria’s Oil Production Ends In 41 Years – World Bank - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Oil Production Ends In 41 Years – World Bank (15934 Views)

Kaduna Music Festival Ends In Violence / Before The Honeymoon Ends In Divorce, Simon Kolawole Warns Buhari / Buhari, APC Reps’ Meeting Ends In Deadlock. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria’s Oil Production Ends In 41 Years – World Bank by supereagle(m): 9:40pm On Oct 05, 2012
Nigeria’s oil reserve will be depleted in 41 years, according to a World Bank Group’s twice-yearly analysis of the issues shaping Africa’s economic prospects called Africa’s pulse.

The report which was presented by the World Bank’s chief economist for Africa, Shantayanan Devarajan, on Thursday said Nigeria’s and Angola’s oil reserves will be depleted in 41 and 21 years respectively.

“Nigeria, the largest regional producer, can keep supplying at 2011 levels for another 41 years, while Angola, the second largest producer in the region, has about 21 years remaining at current production levels before its known reserves are depleted.

“Given the size of these reserves, it is likely that the dependence on oil resources in these countries are likely to continue in the near to medium term. Production in newly oil-rich countries such as Ghana and Uganda could also last for several years.”

According to the World bank’s chief economist, Mineral wealth in African countries including Nigeria don’t translate to prosperity because the money accruing from it doesn’t pass through the citizens, and the citizens don’t see the wealth as theirs.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/10/05/nigerias-oil-production-ends-in-41-years-world-bank/
Re: Nigeria’s Oil Production Ends In 41 Years – World Bank by ULSHERLAN(m): 10:10pm On Oct 05, 2012
Dem be God..mtchew

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Oil Production Ends In 41 Years – World Bank by tevinsolt: 11:33pm On Oct 05, 2012
wake up call, Nigeria should make the hay while the sun is still shining, like the Yoruba adage says "owuro ni ojo, eni ma ri ire a sheba owuro" which loosely translates to "anyone that would be successful in this life, will work when the sun is still up"

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Oil Production Ends In 41 Years – World Bank by tevinsolt: 11:34pm On Oct 05, 2012
Re: Nigeria’s Oil Production Ends In 41 Years – World Bank by Nobody: 11:36pm On Oct 05, 2012
ULSHERLAN: Dem be God..mtchew
its called Analysis Research and Forecast something you Nigerians don't like to do, and like to assume God will increase the resources, its a methodology required for planning for the future, obviously you didn't think Oil would keep running forever, i for once can't be bothered about the depletion after-all its more of curse than a blessing.

16 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Oil Production Ends In 41 Years – World Bank by Virtueways(f): 11:38pm On Oct 05, 2012
WHOA! great news. where will you be in 41years time? THE LOOTER OR THE LOOTED?
Re: Nigeria’s Oil Production Ends In 41 Years – World Bank by Oseniade(m): 11:39pm On Oct 05, 2012
Danger! This is why self employment should be encouraged.We have got to shift our focus from oil to other sectors of the economy like Agriculture.Remember the groundnut pyramids of d north and Cocoa house of Ibadan.Gracias![color=#990000][/color]

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Oil Production Ends In 41 Years – World Bank by emekaD3(m): 11:46pm On Oct 05, 2012
WAHALA DEY..LOL
Re: Nigeria’s Oil Production Ends In 41 Years – World Bank by banom(m): 11:48pm On Oct 05, 2012
41 years is too far, and may never come in the history of Nigeria. Nigeria may even break up before 41 years.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Oil Production Ends In 41 Years – World Bank by Virtueways(f): 11:52pm On Oct 05, 2012
banom: 41 years is too far, and may never come in the history of Nigeria. Nigeria may even break up before 41 years.
EVEN AT THAT SAVE FOR THE RAINY DAY grin
Re: Nigeria’s Oil Production Ends In 41 Years – World Bank by manitobor(m): 11:54pm On Oct 05, 2012
Thanks for the heads up. But, methinks planet Earth will no longer exist in 10 years time. sad
Re: Nigeria’s Oil Production Ends In 41 Years – World Bank by shadrach77: 11:54pm On Oct 05, 2012
That would be the best thing to happen to Nigeria. That is if there is Nigeria by then. Oil has been the Genesis of our problem sad shocked sad

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Oil Production Ends In 41 Years – World Bank by savcy(m): 11:55pm On Oct 05, 2012
12years ago they said its 30yrs til our reserve is depleted. 12yrs later, its 41yrs! Did they drill d ground and measure barrel by barrel?? Dats how dey'v bin predicting doom 4 our economy and nationhood,yet we stil thrive. Make dm park wel jor.

10 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Oil Production Ends In 41 Years – World Bank by ZUBY77(m): 11:56pm On Oct 05, 2012
Atleast that will allow us to look into other areas, especially agriculture.

But is Anambra oil included? There is a guy named chino who will commit suicide because of such news.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Oil Production Ends In 41 Years – World Bank by Nobody: 11:56pm On Oct 05, 2012
:
Nah they are not, they just use their God given brains to do research...
Re: Nigeria’s Oil Production Ends In 41 Years – World Bank by Nobody: 11:58pm On Oct 05, 2012
Maybe this can serve as a wake up call. This is the time to start developing our Agricultural sector.
Re: Nigeria’s Oil Production Ends In 41 Years – World Bank by Built2last: 11:58pm On Oct 05, 2012
Nigeria's many complex problems started with the discovery of oil. This same oil enshrined corruption and blurred the creative vision of the leaders that followed the independence. Necessity they say is the mother of invention...Oil just has to go for people to put on their thinking caps.

Our ingenuity as a people has never come to the fore because of oil.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Oil Production Ends In 41 Years – World Bank by 2sexy(m): 11:59pm On Oct 05, 2012
O boy...I sorry for you. The first oild well, Olibiri done dry . So, other will follow. Before that time reach, I go done get the needed experience and simply carry am to another country and begin to explore
Re: Nigeria’s Oil Production Ends In 41 Years – World Bank by k2039: 12:00am On Oct 06, 2012
[size=13pt]That is only possible base on the available data,and the available data is only based on the oilfileds that have been discovered so far.
We all know more oilwells will stilll be discovered and as technology improves fields and wells that cannot be eplored now will be explored in the later future.

I say this to the world bank,keep your mouth shut and mind your bussiness,their are lot of unproven reserves in Nigeria(unproven reserve is even greater than the proven reserve).
If I hear say oil finish till Jesus come.mtcheew
[/size]

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Oil Production Ends In 41 Years – World Bank by Ifetex(m): 12:01am On Oct 06, 2012
@ list we ill go bk 2 ur 4mal tread" slave tread"
Re: Nigeria’s Oil Production Ends In 41 Years – World Bank by Built2last: 12:02am On Oct 06, 2012

Former white south African president(Bortha) in his 1985 speech posited that the black man never plans or budgets beyond one year...your statement simply remind me of his speech...you better wake up and smell the coffee.
Re: Nigeria’s Oil Production Ends In 41 Years – World Bank by takedat(m): 12:04am On Oct 06, 2012
No matter the forcast or analysis,i beleive that oil is a God given natural resource and He can expand it if He wills.There is also the tendency for oil discovery in Northern Nigeria and so many parts of the country.The only disadvantage i forsee for now is that 41years from now the world dependency on crude oil might have reduced as other form of energy would have been sourced out.Other countries in Africa are beginning to discover oil so the advantage Nigeria has for now will be threatened.
Re: Nigeria’s Oil Production Ends In 41 Years – World Bank by Kslib(m): 12:05am On Oct 06, 2012
Make the oil finish nah.. I even know if oil dey exist for this country... Abi poor man dey benefit for oil money....
Re: Nigeria’s Oil Production Ends In 41 Years – World Bank by CzarChris(m): 12:06am On Oct 06, 2012
I honestly need some of what these guys smoke.

Granted Nigeria's over dependence on oil is doing this country more harm than good. Other sectors like solid minerals, agriculture, development of natural raw materials, tourism(though not viable yet cos of BH) are suffering underdevelopment cos of oil.

Granted Nigeria's oil and gas reserves will someday run dry.
But putting a peg on 41yrs seem to me to be an ignorant analysis.

At least i know of 6 untapped wells that have a run out date of 150yrs. Do you know how many oil wells that can produce at commercial quantity that hasn't been touched? Are they talking of already producing wells or all of them combined?

What of unexplored areas nko?

Abeg make una free us jare
Re: Nigeria’s Oil Production Ends In 41 Years – World Bank by Okijajuju1(m): 12:08am On Oct 06, 2012
utter bollocks

When we have untapped reserves offshore..

And even if it's true, we have a shiit load of gas to last over 100 years
Re: Nigeria’s Oil Production Ends In 41 Years – World Bank by MrLee(m): 12:09am On Oct 06, 2012
Na lie o Ogoni oil still dey o
Re: Nigeria’s Oil Production Ends In 41 Years – World Bank by CyberG: 12:13am On Oct 06, 2012
Mr Lee: Na lie o Ogoni oil still dey o

Long throat...Ogoni oil is NOT for you. Sorry, you can't have everything!! grin grin angry angry
Re: Nigeria’s Oil Production Ends In 41 Years – World Bank by Syenite(m): 12:14am On Oct 06, 2012
Hey! am an Energy expact. Don't panic my people. No doubt that at the current production rate Our reserve will be depleted at about that stipulated time (though some put it at 30 and others at 50)but we are exploring more energy alternatives eg Gas, ethanol, solar etc and this is global campaign. Soon the demand for petroleum and its products will drop and that will decline production thereby extending its availability further. We are thinking ahead already.
Re: Nigeria’s Oil Production Ends In 41 Years – World Bank by CyberG: 12:16am On Oct 06, 2012
Okija_juju: utter bollocks

When we have untapped reserves offshore..

And even if it's true, we have a shiit load of gas to last over 100 years

Who is "WE"? It's only when you want to steal our resources that you use WE! Last time I checked, you don't live offshore, so who is WE? Sorry but you can't have neither the oil nor gas. After this oil finish, just pack your fishing net or hoe and cutlasss and go the farm. grin grin angry angry
Re: Nigeria’s Oil Production Ends In 41 Years – World Bank by Lugianostar(m): 12:26am On Oct 06, 2012
wake up call 4 Nigerians.I will appreciate it if it dry up 2day,so that their eyes will open.
Re: Nigeria’s Oil Production Ends In 41 Years – World Bank by Chanchit: 12:34am On Oct 06, 2012
So world bank job don reach checking underground....? Anyway my advice to every poor man is to work hard now, cos if this happens, they will suffer, this clueless gov't will make Nigeria unliveable, petrol will cost nothing less than #200 per liter, that is if the value of naira still remains the same then. As for me I will not relent in working hard, the final economic colapse must not catch me unprepared.
Re: Nigeria’s Oil Production Ends In 41 Years – World Bank by Nobody: 12:42am On Oct 06, 2012
savcy: 10years ago they said its 30yrs til our reserve is depleted. 12yrs later, its 41yrs! Did they drill d ground and measure barrel by barrel?? Dats how dey'v bin predicting doom 4 our economy and nationhood,yet we stil thrive. Make dm park wel jor.

There is a discipline named reservoir evaluation in petroleum engineering. You might want to Google it. Knowledge is power. Oyinbo don talk am say if u wan hide something from Blackman, hide am for inside book.

The world is already moving to sustainable energy anyway so the oil will become worthless at the end.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tinubu From Hero To ?? Where Did It All Go Wrong. / Police Invasion: Richie Etonye Clarifies Himself, Says No Money Was Found Stolen / Nigerians Condemn Nba’s Threat Over Judges’ Arrest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.