Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,488 members, 7,830,462 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:43 PM

Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? (28864 Views)

Why Are People Dancing Azonto And Makossa In Church? / AZONTO Is A Dancing Style From HELL / Bishop David Oyedepo Dancing Azonto (PHOTO) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? by haibe(m): 3:40pm On Oct 06, 2012
igweGC: Ok, let me say a couple of things here, U̶̲̥̅̊ may or may not buy it.
1st of all, not EVERYBODY u see in church is a true christian or lemme say born again. Jesus came for D sinners, not d saints. Just see d house of God as a Hospital(spiritually) where people with different issues gather in a quest to obtain solution...everybody's got one problem or d other. Smokers, drunkards, womanizers too go to church. It is only when d church workers, ministers, choir members, pastors begin to put up these worldly acts, we now say it is a big deal. Another thing is the motif behind d dance not basically d steps..same thing with every other issue in church. If d main aim of dancing azonto or itighi in church is to seduce, or showcase talent, rather than glorify God, then it is a bad. There's nothing wrong with dancing azonto or itighi in d house of God. But I will strongly advice church workers(pastors, ushers, choristers, etc) not to attempt it. So as not to send across wrong information or image to d congregation. I stand to be corrected.
Thank u

You made a lot of sense bro. But do you think our people dancing azonto in church actually dance it to glorify God
Re: Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? by ebhohon: 3:44pm On Oct 06, 2012
The bible recorded that david praise God to the extent he was almost naked. And his wife mocked him and she was struck with barreness. @ poster i will advise you go and ask God for mercy. GOD Doesnt joke with praise it moves Him. God is a spirit he sees beyond you, He looks at the heart and if it is right with Him, he blesses the person and curse whoever despise such person. I will advise you to go and ask for His mercy because you have already accursed yourself.
Re: Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? by fubbyy(m): 3:44pm On Oct 06, 2012
acidosis™:

you don't see anything wrong with BORN AGAIN Christians using the dance steps invented by smokers, heavy drinkers and club hawkers in the HOUSE of GOD ??
crap, what about we christains that use technologies that was invented by atheists in the house of God?
Re: Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? by fankasibe: 3:44pm On Oct 06, 2012
NO CHURCH IN THE WIDE......the devil is really taking over in an stylish manner......no thanks to[b] ILLUMINATE[/b]......i weep for the generation to come

2 Likes

Re: Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Oct 06, 2012
acidosis™:

you don't see anything wrong with BORN AGAIN Christians using the dance steps invented by smokers, heavy drinkers and club hawkers in the HOUSE of GOD ??
self righteous hypocrite
Re: Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? by Benito69(m): 3:48pm On Oct 06, 2012
I thought you go to church to...
1. fellowship with the brethren
2. recharge your spirit
3. be in the presence of God
If you feel you can't stand people dancing azonto and kukere, please leave and find a church that suits you.
Church is not for the perfect, but for the imperfect.
Re: Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? by gurusoft55: 3:54pm On Oct 06, 2012
acidosis™:
@mumumugu,

It is a bad thing to bring such into the house of God. God is not everywhere for your information..God is in a place: "where 2 or more people gather IN HIS NAME.
why talk like this? God is omnipresent. Have you forgotten?
Re: Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? by Nobody: 3:56pm On Oct 06, 2012
OJU(Eyes) Oluwa nwo Ise re,May The Good Lord Guide and Forgive Us Our Sin.
Re: Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? by haibe(m): 3:59pm On Oct 06, 2012
Lol i can't help how some people are judging the op, that he is an hpocrite(thats what judgement is), the op never judged anyone, he only rebuked the act of worldliness in the church.

What amazes me is that some of those judging the op of hypocrisy are the one's'who are telling the op 'don judge' and they are judging.

Jesus said dont judge, he didnt say dont rebuke, the poster rebuked the act of worldliness and some people reply by judging that he is a hypocrite without even knowing him.

1 Like

Re: Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? by Rhapsody1(f): 4:01pm On Oct 06, 2012
tintingz: *shocking* a whole king dancing nake.d in public(picturing the scene) how king David go be in front of the women. . .atleast he didn't do it in the temple grin
David did not dance naked. He danced with all his might leaping and jumping. 1 Samuel 6:14. I am guessing that in the course of the joyous Jumping and leaping , his legs, or thigh or chest may have been exposed. Remember in the culture of those days, it was not polite to see such. But David was too caught up to notice, and God was pleased with him. That was what the wife Micah was talking about. She was more concerned about appearance than praising God. See 1 Samuel 6:20-23
Re: Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? by haibe(m): 4:04pm On Oct 06, 2012
Check out this thread guys:

https://www.nairaland.com/1066798/judging-vs-rebuking

Judging is very much different from rebuking, as far as i have read, the poster of this thread did not judge anyone but a lot has judged him.
Re: Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Oct 06, 2012
ehie: self righteous hypocrite

fortunately & unfortunately, righteouness is a thing of 'self'. Nobody can be 'righteous for another'.
It is only hypocritical if only I use those steps..
We are all trying to be righteous despite our nature of sin..and the fact a man's righteousness is like a filtty rag before the Lord..but remember without holiness and righteousness, no man shall see the lord.. You and I cannot change that fact. No matter what we say
Re: Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? by Nobody: 4:08pm On Oct 06, 2012
acidosis™:

fortunately & unfortunately, righteouness is a thing of 'self'. Nobody can be 'righteous for another'.
It is only hypocritical if only I use those steps..
We are all trying to be righteous despite our nature of sin..and the fact a man's righteousness is like a filtty rag before the Lord..but remember without holiness and righteousness, no man shall see the lord.. You and I cannot change that fact. No matter what we say
meh
Re: Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? by Nobody: 4:09pm On Oct 06, 2012
gurusoft55: why talk like this? God is omnipresent. Have you forgotten?
You are missing it brother. .God sees everyone...He sees the lady fornicating, he sees the boy stealing meat from mum's pot of soup, he sees the juju man BUT his presence is not in those places I listed..get it?

You can be in a church without the presence of God..but God sees the members.. His eyes are everywhere...no matter how you hide..
Re: Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? by gurusoft55: 4:09pm On Oct 06, 2012
One way to decide if it right or wrong. Would Jesus use these dance steps if He were here?

2 Likes

Re: Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? by fatstan1: 4:20pm On Oct 06, 2012
Totally inappropriate, these dance steps are very thought provoking, now while I am not a regular church goer I love to focus on why I am in church not on the ass in front of me(half the time its a very terrible ass).
Re: Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? by Chokolee(m): 4:21pm On Oct 06, 2012
SlyIg:
The great Eye Am and the great Nose Am!
Good Boy!
He is watching..
Re: Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? by Onyiip(f): 4:22pm On Oct 06, 2012
what we doing by azonto...
We go over then haters
so by dancing azonto, we are putting haters under our foot and the devil is one of our haters.
Na joke oh lipsrsealed
Re: Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? by sylve11: 4:28pm On Oct 06, 2012
Funny thread, funny replies! grin grin grin cool
Re: Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? by Rhapsody1(f): 4:39pm On Oct 06, 2012
The main problem of Christians is that they act, live, believe that Christianity is a religion. A dos and don'ts thingy. Christ said that He came so that we Can have life IN ABUNDANCE, TO THE FULL. Have you ever wondered why the only people Jesus woed were the pharisees and Sadducees? These were the teachers of the Law! They have every law of Moses at the finger tip. They obeyed them strictly. And yet, these same people were the ones that got woed by the Lord. He called them white washed tombs, good on the outside but dead inside. Paul described it as "having a form of godliness but denying its power"2 Timothy 3:5. He also said that they refuse to enter the kingdom and also try to prevent others from entering too, ""What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you shut the door of the Kingdom of Heaven in people's faces. You won't go in yourselves, and you don't let others enter either" Matthew 23:13.
They were still the ones that planned and ensured he was killed. They were the same ones that payed the guards to spread lies about His resurrection. Do you know why? Religious mindset. And that is one of the biggest problems of the church today. Think about Paul, what he was before his encounter with Christ and what he became after.

Once you give your life to Christ, the bible says, you are a new creature, child of a King. You are to ask and you will be filled with the Holy Spirit. He will direct your every step except you are not listening. So OP, are you a Christian? Are you Spirit Filled? Who created music and dance? God. And the bible says that God looked at all He made and said it was good. Same bible tells me to do everything to the Glory of God. Why would a dance step God's child is dancing to the glory of God be a problem, whether in church or outside? You see, we leave substance and chase shadows. Satan delights in keeping Christians so occupied with irrelevant matters while the main thing we have been called to is left unattended. SOUL WINNING. See 1 John 2:20. And note that he was even talking to babes in the Lord, not elders. So what I always tell a Christian is this, listen to the Holy Spirit who lives not in church building but in you. Also read the whole chapter of 1 Corinthians 10. These Christians had their own questions, should we do this, or not. Take special note of how Paul tackled their questions. If you prefer a solemn assembly kind of church, no problem. Jesus said the time is coming and is now here when we shall neither worship God at sokoto or Jamaica, but that true worshippers will worship in spirit and truth John 4:21-24 (pls read this using the living bible translation). The one who wants to worship in a non solemn assembly church, no problem. Just ensure you worship in truth and in spirit, and bro, you can never go wrong. Because the Holy Spirit in you will never lead you to do something contrary. Christians, could we drop this religious mindset. It is not keeping the rules and laws that gets you to heaven. There are a lot of good nice people who are great moralist but will still not make heaven. Why? There is only one way, Jesus Christ. There is salvation in no one else! God has given no other name under heaven by which we must be saved" Acts 4:12. That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved" Romans 10:9. It is accepting and confessing the Lordship of Jesus Christ over your life. And pls constantly study(not just read) the bible, cos peeps perish out of ignorance.

1 Like

Re: Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? by felifeli: 4:41pm On Oct 06, 2012
Detonator-rex:
I believe dance is dance whether it was invented by worldly people or not.how you dance is not the issue,its your heart that matters most.When David danced,the bible never recorded his dance steps,but we all know that he did it from his heart.so whoever invents a dance step in the secular world doesn't make it unacceptable as long as your heart is in tune with God.but i think the psoblem will b when you dance to show off,entice or impress other people in church.

Dance is dance ? How unfortunate !! You need to go into the history of some dances and how they were invented. Most are purely coded ritual gestures and body movements to invoke spirits . You think evil spirits can not be invoked in church too ? I am sorry for you. Most of our churches are fertile places for them to eat and drink. I have stopped attending dancing church.
Re: Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? by tintingz(m): 4:48pm On Oct 06, 2012
Rhapsody!:

David did not dance naked. He danced with all his might leaping and jumping. 1 Samuel 6:14. I am guessing that in the course of the joyous Jumping and leaping , his legs, or thigh or chest may have been exposed. Remember in the culture of those days, it was not polite to see such. But David was too caught up to notice, and God was pleased with him. That was what the wife Micah was talking about. She was more concerned about appearance than praising God. See 1 Samuel 6:20-23
20. And David returned to bless his own house: and Michol the daughter of Saul coming out to meet David, said: How glorious was the king of Israel to day, uncovering himself before the handmaids of his servants, and was nake.d, as if one of the buffoons should be nake.d.
did i not read here that Michol said to David he was dancing nake.d in front of his servants?. . .moreover christians use this verse and some other verses to back up their dancing stunt when all this didn't happen in the temple buh just a sign of joy and happiness to God not a form of worshiping God. . .since christianity means christ-like i believe the way they should pray and worship must go with the way christ Jesus glorify his father in the bible. . .buh i didn't read where Jesus is dancing to communicate to God or preached it to his disciples.

1 Like

Re: Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? by Nobody: 4:58pm On Oct 06, 2012
felifeli:

Dance is dance ? How unfortunate !! You need to go into the history of some dances and how they were invented. Most are purely coded ritual gestures and body movements to invoke spirits . You think evil spirits can not be invoked in church too ? I am sorry for you. Most of our churches are fertile places for them to eat and drink. I have stopped attending dancing church.
heh
Re: Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? by Rhapsody1(f): 5:08pm On Oct 06, 2012
tintingz: 20. And David returned to bless his own house: and Michol the daughter of Saul coming out to meet David, said: How glorious was the king of Israel to day, uncovering himself before the handmaids of his servants, and was nake.d, as if one of the buffoons should be nake.d.
did i not read here that Michol said to David he was dancing nake.d in front of his servants?. . .moreover christians use this verse and some other verses to back up their dancing stunt when all this didn't happen in the temple buh just a sign of joy and happiness to God not a form of worshiping God. . .since christianity means christ-like i believe the way they should pray and worship must go with the way christ Jesus glorify his father in the bible. . .buh i didn't read where Jesus is dancing to communicate to God or preached it to his disciples.
And David danced before the Lord with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod 2 Samuel 6:14 .

I guess you did not see this verse BEFORE the one you quoted. Could we always try to read and understand the bible within the context it was said. The bible specifically mentioned David was "girded with a linen ephod". A priestly garment by the way. The issue was that in the course of his "leaping and jumping" some parts of his body (certainly not private parts) were exposed. It was not a royal thing to ordinarily happen. Micah was concerned more about females, not even the males (note that). Maybe she did not want them getting ideas or it was just an appearance kind of a thing. "I am royalty and so must not condescend to do this in their presence". We can only guess."When David returned home to bless his household, Michal daughter of Saul came out to meet him and said, "How the king of Israel has distinguished himself today, disrobing in the sight of the slave girls of his servants as any vulgar fellow would!. 2 Samuel 6:20. I think it was the fact that the girls were there that irked her most. So no, David did not dance naked.
Re: Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? by SisiKill1: 5:10pm On Oct 06, 2012
tintingz: abi. . . na so Jesus dey dance azonto and kukere when he's preaching.
Did Jesus even dance at all? So what's your point?

ItsModella:
He was the same person against the Bible app. Frankly, I am so sick of his self-righteous and sanctimonious attitude. Any christian would know that for something to be acceptable in God's sight depends on the inner intentions. But I guess the OP has taken God's place and must now judge.
He is typical of the average Naija "Christian" so focused on the wrong things - who wears what, who uses what, who dances how, who prays louder. . .everything that is on the outside. These people Act Christian, the way one would act a play as opposed to actually being one.

One would think with all their objections and put downs of all that is "worldly", Nigeria will be one of the most morally upright country, nah what you have is one of the most corrupt countries in the world with the so called Christians leading the pack.

2 Likes

Re: Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? by igweGC(m): 5:15pm On Oct 06, 2012
haibe:

You made a lot of sense bro. But do you think our people dancing azonto in church actually dance it to glorify God
Honestly, I do not know. I can only speak for myself, not for others in this case because we're all running a personal race. Besides, only God can answer that because he's d only one that can see through the heart of man.

1 Like

Re: Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? by kabikabi: 5:18pm On Oct 06, 2012
First is the issue of women wearing jeans trausers and mini skirts to church now its the issue of the dance steps to use to praise God in the church.
Isn't all that explained in the Bible.
I know of Gods commandment in a verse and chapter saying regarding women clothing " O Prophet! Tell ur wives and ur daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks all over their bodies. That will be better that they should be known so as not to be annoyed..."
And regarding how to worship a practical example is needed so this can only be gotten from the companions of Jesus Christ. As the companions learnt from the prophet how to cleans and supplicate to God

For those curious the chapter is chapter 33 "The Confedrates " and the verse is verse 59 of the Holy Quran
And a lot of Hadith was reported from the prophet on how to purify and perform prayers "Salat" that is why every one of us who truely belive dress and pray accordingly.
Pls reply with reasons and qoutes from holy books as any one speaking from what him or her feels may be leading people astray.

Also liked the comment that quoted the Holy Bible saying " Women should not wear male clothing and likewise men " happy to say there is a similar wording in the Quran: for that person has said the truth and I must admmit.
Re: Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? by ochukoeja(f): 5:26pm On Oct 06, 2012
Ya'll remind me of david's wife who accused him of dancing too hard. Remember God made her barren for that. And those of u sayin you'll rather worship than praises, let's not forget that he also inhabits d praise of his children. While I'm not disputin d fact that when it comes to dancin, youths tend to go too far. Let's not be quick to call a dance step ungodly. Kukere is a calabar dance step, azonto is a ghanaian dance step, so u cannot term it ungodly because musicians from d secular world made it popular
Re: Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? by haibe(m): 5:30pm On Oct 06, 2012
I can't laugh when i read some posts, some of us fail to understand that satan is very wise, the bible in ezekiel even says he is wiser than daniel.

Dancing azonto and alanta in church: well i will just say we should be careful, satan is wiser than we think.
Re: Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? by haibe(m): 5:36pm On Oct 06, 2012
Hey guys please, there is nothing wrong in being religious as some of us think, being religious doesnt make you an hypocrite, infact we have some religious rites like the lord supper, water baptism..etc so i dont know why some people here are condemning religion. Of course we shouldnt serve God as if we are bound to but that doesnt mean being religious is bad, Jesus condemned the hypocrisy of the pharisees not their being religious, if they were religious and practicing what they teach jesus wouldnt have condemned them.

So pls guys, there is difference in being religious and being an hypocrite.
Re: Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? by Toks2008(m): 5:45pm On Oct 06, 2012
As far as i am concerned, dance steps remain dance steps.

I have been dancing Kukere many years back and for your information, Kukere is a cultural dance in calabar just like awilo is the dance steps of Benin rep just like we have apala in yoruba culture.

I wonder why people worry their heads over trival issues like dance steps.

I can dance with my head for all i care if that is how i feel like praising GOD.

Please lets discuss something more reasonable.
Re: Is Dancing ' Azonto & Kukere ' In Church Appropriate ? by Nobody: 5:48pm On Oct 06, 2012
i really hope they add OPPAN Gangnam style to the list of dances soon...now that will be a site to behold!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Truth About The Judgement Day You Should Know As A Christian / Ever Happened To You? (Weird Coincidences, Synchronicity, Law Of Attraction). / God Using Buhari To Punish Nigerians – Archbishop Chukwuma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.