Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,488 members, 7,770,195 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 07:13 AM

Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* (18782 Views)

Photo: What A South African Said About Nigerian Pastors / Pope US Visit Proves Nigerian Pastors Wrong!!! / Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by nenergy(m): 7:37am On Oct 07, 2012
I believe in the bible, it is the pilgrim’s map and the Wikipedia of Christianity. But it is sad to notice that (Nigerian) pastor only preach what “sells”. Go to churches and all you hear is preaching on increase, overflow and divine multiplication. Increase is good and but what of contentment? 1 Tim 6:6 says; “but godliness with contentment is great gain.” So why don’t pastors preach it? This one-sided preaching has led to the abuse of the pulpit. “Open heavens offering”, “first fruit offering”, “challenge God offering”, “seed of faith offering” etc

Listen, “Give, and it shall be given unto you” doesn’t mean that God is a Micro-Finance bank that gives return on investments. The last I checked, God stills loves a cheerful giver o.” So I challenge you, if your pastor has ever preached contentment, give me the church address and I will become a member (I am currently searching for a purpose driven church to worship with). Jesus was content, the apostles were content, and Paul was content, so why don’t Nigerian pastors preach contentment?
Happy Sunday!!!

24 Likes

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by PastorKun(m): 8:20am On Oct 07, 2012
You are absolutely correct, prosperity gospel has no place in christianity. Christians are taught to be content. Which town or area do you reside? I might be able to recommend a sincere God fearing church to you.

4 Likes

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Wislet(f): 8:51am On Oct 07, 2012
nenergy, how re u today?
#my runaway frnd#
stil waitin for dat promise
@topic, good point.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by nenergy(m): 9:41am On Oct 07, 2012
Pastor Kun: You are absolutely correct, prosperity gospel has no place in christianity. Christians are taught to be content. Which town or area do you reside? I might be able to recommend a sincere God fearing church to you.
I reside in Lagos mainland.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by nenergy(m): 9:43am On Oct 07, 2012
Wislet: nenergy, how re u today?
#my runaway frnd#
stil waitin for dat promise
@topic, good point.
Correct lady,i've not forgotten you o! I've send it when i get to my pc smiley .
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by ijawkid(m): 10:31am On Oct 07, 2012
If they preach contentment there will be no more mega cash to buy private jets,build expensive schools,buy phantoms and own other businesses......

If they preach contentment,while the pastor himself lives an extravagant life,then the follwers might stone him or yell @ him....

So to keep the members treading down the road of materialism as well as the MOG's living large,the pastors have to avoid preaching contentment....

Simple!!!!!

16 Likes

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Nobody: 10:47am On Oct 07, 2012
ijawkid: If they preach contentment there will be no more mega cash to buy private jets,build expensive schools,buy phantoms and own other businesses......

If they preach contentment,while the pastor himself lives an extravagant life,then the follwers might stone him or yell @ him....

So to keep the members treading down the road of materialism as well as the MOG's living large,the pastors have to avoid preaching contentment....

Simple!!!!!
couldnt have said it better
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by nenergy(m): 10:50am On Oct 07, 2012
ijawkid: If they preach contentment there will be no more mega cash to buy private jets,build expensive schools,buy phantoms and own other businesses......

Simple!!!!!
Gbam!

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Nobody: 10:53am On Oct 07, 2012
Pastor Kun: You are absolutely correct, prosperity gospel has no place in christianity. Christians are taught to be content. Which town or area do you reside? I might be able to recommend a sincere God fearing church to you.
I am also in the same dilemma with OP. Please can you recommend a good church I can attend? I am lost totally because all the churches I have been attending here seems to be prosperity focused. I reside in Warri. Any other person can assist.

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Nobody: 10:59am On Oct 07, 2012
x-fire:

I am also in the same dilemma with OP. Please can you recommend a good church I can attend? I am lost totally because all the churches I have been attending here seems to be prosperity focused. I reside in Warri. Any other person can assist.
THE CHURCH IS YOUR BODY. DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH READING THE BIBLE ON YOUR OWN AND COMPREHENDING IT ? WHY ARE YOU LOOKING FOR A PHYSICAL CHURCH ? OR ARE YOU JUST LOOKING FOR A PLACE TO SOCIALIZE ?

3 Likes

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by pearlhapi(f): 11:47am On Oct 07, 2012
@topic maybe your pastor don't,mine does!once in a while tho btw it is normal for every human to aim higher!I have no reason to be content\remain where I am when they are better things ahead!that's why we have future and dreams

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Nobody: 11:49am On Oct 07, 2012
obadiah777: THE CHURCH IS YOUR BODY. DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH READING THE BIBLE ON YOUR OWN AND COMPREHENDING IT ? WHY ARE YOU LOOKING FOR A PHYSICAL CHURCH ? OR ARE YOU JUST LOOKING FOR A PLACE TO SOCIALIZE ?
As a christian, you should not forsake the fellowship of other believers. It's very key in spiritual growth. Christianity is about selflessness, love, fellowship, encouraging and sharing. Spirituality is polished when one is amongst believers. You see one another's strengths and weaknesses, and you strengthen one another to grow.

6 Likes

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by ITbomb(m): 12:52pm On Oct 07, 2012
Once the human race start showing contentment then civilization halt.

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by nenergy(m): 1:04pm On Oct 07, 2012
ITbomb: Once the human race start showing contentment then civilization halt.
Isn't that why people steal, kill and maim?
James 4:2 "Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not".
KJV
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by PastorKun(m): 1:49pm On Oct 07, 2012
nenergy:
I reside in Lagos mainland.

Good let me have your email address and I would send you a mail.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by PastorKun(m): 1:52pm On Oct 07, 2012
ITbomb: Once the human race start showing contentment then civilization halt.

Contentment within the context of scriptures means we shouldn't be greedy or overtly materialistic. It doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to better our lot.

5 Likes

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Sagamite(m): 2:10pm On Oct 07, 2012
Because they are preaching to fucktards!

Fucktards that are willing to pass their money to pastors to fund the pastor's luxurious life.

There are many such fucktards in Nigeria.

Gullible, desperate, delusioned fucktards that are looking for salvation and miracles instead of using their brains.

Oops! Sorry. They do not have a brain in the first place that is why they are fucktards.

5 Likes

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by eastOFwest(m): 2:14pm On Oct 07, 2012
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Why don't manufacturers make light bulbs that last for 5 yrs?
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by GJames(m): 2:15pm On Oct 07, 2012
My church rarely preaches prosperity, bt i'm nt against it. If u hate hearing msgs on it, Jehovah witness is nt far.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by PHC4(m): 2:17pm On Oct 07, 2012
[code][/code]nenergy. Pls kindly look for a Church of Christ congregation around your area where you will be taught the undiluted practices of christianity. Cheers

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Kayslim10(m): 2:18pm On Oct 07, 2012
So on point, Dts because they are not contented too!
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Leobreezy(m): 2:18pm On Oct 07, 2012
Nigerian pastors aren't different from Yahoo boys. The only thing they do to hide their true nature is to establish a "church" and use "man of God" as a pseudonym. Its a shame to say that some people didn't go to church today because they don't have money to pay for offering. Food for thought: you don't drown by diving into water, you drown when you remain there

3 Likes

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by ednut1(m): 2:20pm On Oct 07, 2012
because ur religion is man made, wit a bible sayin different tins, a confused religion, in d same pple dos pastors will quote prosperity part, let ur god come nd clarify dat if he cares

3 Likes

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by SisiKill1: 2:21pm On Oct 07, 2012
Where will the 6 Jets, 12 Bentelys, 3 BMW, 5 mansions, 120 Tom Ford suits, 240 Gucci Shoes, gold watches with matching sunglasses. . . fit in if they preached contentment?

I grew up in a Methodist Church and when I remember how the Bishops back then lived (usually in a 3 bedroom flat behind the church) it becomes increasingly obvious these charlatans parading themselves as Pastors today care more about their comfort than the word of God.

I've often asked myself....if these pastors, the Oyedepos, The Pastor Chris of today, if they really believe there is a God and all Good people will be rewarded in heaven, why the incessant need to acquire so much in this earthly realm? Could it be that they know something we don't? Maybe they know this is it....for all of us. There's no heaven or hell.. there is no delayed gratification or punishment. You have one life to live and it is now....that's why they want everything they can lay their greedy paws on.

Of course they can't let that secret out because other people's ignorance is how they can live their one life in luxury.

Hmm, you know...I think it is safe to say that the lifestyles of these Pastors may just be the strongest supporting evidence that there is no afterlife. lipsrsealed

4 Likes

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by hakwise(m): 2:21pm On Oct 07, 2012
Hmmm as nigerians I think we are †ђξ most sophisticated, complex, ambiguous,**abeg help M̶̲̥̅ε̲̣̣̣̥ with grammar** set of peoplee on planet earth we r so unique ...REALLY .......our ccountry is †ђξ most oor one of †ђξ most religious country in †ђξ world ..yet our ways are nt pure......sm hrs ago I was just hearing oon TV that some Christian pilgrims are also preparing to go to isreal, so †ђξ govt is urging them to be well behaved n crap ....after sm muslim pilgrims were disgraced sm days bk ....yet even with all these ardent believers our country is in a sorry state ....sori OP for d digress ....just thinking aloud...
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by ABsI1: 2:25pm On Oct 07, 2012
x-fire:

As a christian, you should not forsake the fellowship of other believers. It's very key in spiritual growth. Christianity is about selflessness, love, fellowship, encouraging and sharing. Spirituality is polished when one is amongst believers. You see one another's strengths and weaknesses, and you strengthen one another to grow.
yes.the fellowship can be in ur sitting room,bedroom,business premises etc and not neccessarily these so called "churches"

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Leobreezy(m): 2:25pm On Oct 07, 2012
To be very candid, the only church that seems humble and complacent with living a simple life are the Jehovah's witnesses. Along with that, they are the only ones who take the burden to preach like Jesus did earning them the nickname "bag carriers". Many pastors and christians can't even do half of what they are doing. If you disprove of this, please state your cogent reasons.

5 Likes

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Aizebioje(m): 2:27pm On Oct 07, 2012
Well my Pastor preached contentment today."LIVE,EAT,WEAR ACCORDING TO YOUR SIZE...THE CONSTANT SEARCH TO LIVE ABOVE YOU INCOME HAS LED MANY CHRISTIANS INTO DEBT" Winner's Chapel Ugbowo Edo State

2 Likes

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by ABsI1: 2:29pm On Oct 07, 2012
How many God ordained pastors do we have in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by SisiKill1: 2:33pm On Oct 07, 2012
Enough with this Jehovah Witness is the best crapola.

How a church which churns out the most miserable looking....miserable existing set of people ever seen can be touted as the best in anything. . . is beyond me. undecided

Deeper Life and Jehovah witness should only be brought up when the discourse is about how to turn people off Christianity. Those two churches make a very strong case for that topic.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by nenergy(m): 2:33pm On Oct 07, 2012
ednut1: because ur religion is man made, wit a bible sayin different tins, a confused religion, in d same pple dos pastors will quote prosperity part, let ur god come nd clarify dat if he cares
Please! Please!! This is not a thread for idol worshippers or religious extremist!

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by plappville(f): 2:34pm On Oct 07, 2012

Simple!!!!!

You will be hated for this truth up there!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion / A Good Proof That True Love Exists / Your God Is Too Small

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.