Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,579 members, 7,812,894 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:30 PM

Pls Help Me Between Chemistry And Medicine - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Pls Help Me Between Chemistry And Medicine (3569 Views)

Problems Of Studying Geophysics,industrial Chemistry And Geology In Nigeria / Tutorials For WAEC, JAMB And First Year Maths, Physics, Chemistry And F. Maths / Career/which university offers food chemistry and analysis? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Help Me Between Chemistry And Medicine by personal59: 10:14pm On Oct 07, 2012
I did science lab tech @ federal poly ilaro and with the result av gained admission to study chemistry tru DE while my father is a med nd surg fan he insist I press for med because he can't explain where I can work though av try to convince him dat I can work in drugs comp and co but wen I mention petroleum comp he said no since I didn't study pet eng nd this result into an argument now my question is how good is chemistry cos I only knw about it nd where can I work to those who av tread d same path or av a friend who does cos he was even telling me biochem is better in which I dislike pls really need an advice on it
Re: Pls Help Me Between Chemistry And Medicine by AjanleKoko: 10:28pm On Oct 07, 2012
personal59: I did science lab tech @ federal poly ilaro and with the result av gained admission to study chemistry tru DE while my father is a med nd surg fan he insist I press for med because he can't explain where I can work though av try to convince him dat I can work in drugs comp and co but wen I mention petroleum comp he said no since I didn't study pet eng nd this result into an argument now my question is how good is chemistry cos I only knw about it nd where can I work to those who av tread d same path or av a friend who does cos he was even telling me biochem is better in which I dislike pls really need an advice on it

LOL at you and your dad. No disrespect intended, but just how are you going to 'press for medicine'?
There is really no decision for you to take here, seeing as you don't have admission to study medicine, just chemistry.

Better face your chemistry admission and get on with it. Pursuing medicine may mean you staying at home for a very long time, and still not making the cut.
Re: Pls Help Me Between Chemistry And Medicine by 360command: 11:13pm On Oct 07, 2012
you really want to know how good chemistry is ? just wait till you finish your degree in chemistry, watch and see where NYSC will post you too, guy, you will hate ever studying chemistry.After your NYSC, not all those ones you are telling your father about getting a job in petroleum sector, pharmaceutical sector , where you will find job is been a lab attendant in a secondary school or a chemistry teacher. Well, all of you that likes to think big, by saying 'i want to work in petroleum company or whatsoever , think twice. It level that puts people there.

Since you are in a choosy situation between medicine and chemisty , go for the chemistry and come out in another 2-3 years time.Look for professional courses in business management and do so as you can combine it with your chemistry degree. I said this because i know of a friend of mine who read Medical Laboratory in Ghana, which i believe medical lab is better than chemisty. He came to Nigeria to do NYSC , where he was posted was a dead laboratory building where nothing is functioning.The woman in charge greeted him by saying 'WELCOME TO THIS HELL HOLE'.He never accepted the transfer and looked for other places of his choice forfeiting 4 month NYSC salary. Right now, he is doing or must have finish his business management courses(PG)

1 Like

Re: Pls Help Me Between Chemistry And Medicine by personal59: 6:34am On Oct 08, 2012
Is chemistry dis bad
Re: Pls Help Me Between Chemistry And Medicine by AjanleKoko: 7:52am On Oct 08, 2012
personal59: Is chemistry dis bad

I will ask you a question: How good are you in chemistry?
If it's just to have a degree, then don't bother to go to school!
Re: Pls Help Me Between Chemistry And Medicine by 360command: 9:39am On Oct 08, 2012
Chemistry is not bad, it is just the country we find ourselves in that makes it bad. I will give you an advice, if you are really good at chemistry, i mean very good at it, go to the middle east and find a job there. it really pays for chemist.

When it comes to undergraduate programs, the courses been given to you for studies by the University, whether good or bad just go for it.Have it in mind during studies or finished from the university you can think of a short management or IT course to do and blend it with your degree. No time to waste for the actual course you would like to do, because as you wait, age is counting on you before you know it, you can be out of the job market due to age.
Re: Pls Help Me Between Chemistry And Medicine by personal59: 3:25pm On Oct 08, 2012
Ok btw microbiolgy, biochemistry and chemistry if I was ur bro which one would u av advice me to go for and why?
Re: Pls Help Me Between Chemistry And Medicine by 360command: 6:19pm On Oct 08, 2012
baba, just go to the university and do any course..its about what you know ?i dont know you in your academic school days, if you are very good in chemistry, then go and do biochemistry..if you are not good at chemistry, go and do microbiology..
Re: Pls Help Me Between Chemistry And Medicine by yemmyma: 6:44pm On Oct 08, 2012
360command: you really want to know how good chemistry is ? just wait till you finish your degree in chemistry, watch and see where NYSC will post you too, guy, you will hate ever studying chemistry.After your NYSC, not all those ones you are telling your father about getting a job in petroleum sector, pharmaceutical sector , where you will find job is been a lab attendant in a secondary school or a chemistry teacher. Well, all of you that likes to think big, by saying 'i want to work in petroleum company or whatsoever , think twice. It level that puts people there.

Since you are in a choosy situation between medicine and chemisty , go for the chemistry and come out in another 2-3 years time.Look for professional courses in business management and do so as you can combine it with your chemistry degree. I said this because i know of a friend of mine who read Medical Laboratory in Ghana, which i believe medical lab is better than chemisty. He came to Nigeria to do NYSC , where he was posted was a dead laboratory building where nothing is functioning.The woman in charge greeted him by saying 'WELCOME TO THIS HELL HOLE'.He never accepted the transfer and looked for other places of his choice forfeiting 4 month NYSC salary. Right now, he is doing or must have finish his business management courses(PG)

This is a risible post!
Re: Pls Help Me Between Chemistry And Medicine by elewedu(m): 9:31am On Oct 09, 2012
@poster, i read chemistry at d university and am workin wit it right, and earnin a decent income nw so i think i can give my 2cents on this. Chemistry is a non professional course, meaning u re neither here or there. In the pharmaceutical u re second to a pharmacist, in the manufacturin, u re a second to the core engineers, in medical line u re second to the core medical practitioners. Even chemical engineers are soughted to work as chemist in the manufacturin company since they understand the concept of process. The only place where a chemist is a core professional is in the academics. That is where u can be sure of finding utmost relevance. U will be beta of using ur chemistry degree in the academics or usin it as a premedicine or prepharmacy. Follow ur dads advice, trust is judgement, he knws wat he is sayin.

2 Likes

Re: Pls Help Me Between Chemistry And Medicine by personal59: 9:44am On Oct 09, 2012
@ elewedu am very grateful I really want a candid advice from anybody dat study chemistry in sch and I love ur response am very grateful
Re: Pls Help Me Between Chemistry And Medicine by Nobody: 1:36pm On Oct 09, 2012
i have a B.Tech in Applied Chemistry currently working as a graduate trainee production with Bagco wit a monthly take home of over a hundred and ten thousand naira............in actual sense i may not allow my children to study the course for reasons best known to me.
Re: Pls Help Me Between Chemistry And Medicine by Nobody: 5:16pm On Oct 10, 2012
to be sincere, I think you have to listen to your father cos with the experiences people have shared here, it reaps less than medicine even if it takes 7 years to finish. It's entirely your choice but you gotta set your priorities straight
Re: Pls Help Me Between Chemistry And Medicine by Mustay(m): 8:42pm On Oct 10, 2012
Most science courses are not usually 'viable' in Nigeria 'cos we do not appreciate science - right from school days. You do need to contact your school's counselling department. Your narration smacks of a daddy that likes something but that's not the same case for you. Your inability to 'enlighten' your dad on the prospects of the chemistry course has not convinced hime yet - like Ajanlekoko mentioned, there's a real chance of you being a 'resident dependant' instead of a medical student for some years due to the tough competition for admission into such a course.

As much as you've read bleak comments about Chemistry, I can also give you same about Medicine in Nigeria too. It's virtually all sectors that the 'Nigerian Factor' has prevented from functioning but you still have professions here. What I'd advise you to do is to evaluate both courses and check which one of 'em fits well into your interests, not your father's for we've seen artistes for example who reveal that they only studied some courses to satisfy their parents and then follow their passion afterwards. Contact chemists or even your lecturers (Chemistry) to give you what the prospects are. I can help you in both regards (Chemistry & Medicine).

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Architecture Or Medicine, Which Should I Consider? Help / Police Sanction 16 Personnel For Professional Misconduct / Skilled Immigrants Wasting Their Talents In Canada - BE WARNED

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.