Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,667 members, 7,816,740 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:08 PM

Bought A Dead Man's Number - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Bought A Dead Man's Number (816 Views)

When Was The Last Time You Bought A Generator? / Dead Man Wakes Up During Burial(photos / SHOCKER: Dead Man Impregnants Mortuary Attendant ??! LMAO!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bought A Dead Man's Number by Sirmee(m): 10:31am On Oct 08, 2012
It all began when my dual sim phone was stolen, housing my airtel and glo line. In no time I retrieved my glo but had problem retrieving my airtel because I don't have the sim pack neither was it registered.

The real problem started when I bought a new airtel sim, to avoid similar fate I registered it immediately. After few days of activation I received a call from a woman claiming her late husband is the owner of the line, she said I killed him and took his phone. Before I could explain myself she started raining curses on me, so I ended the call.

After few hours I called her back to explain myself but before I could utter a word she has started cursing me again, so I ended the call and sent her an sms.

Rather for things to get better, it went from bad to worse. I started receiving calls on this line saying the phone belong to there father, uncle, brother etc saying I murdered him. The calls always end with heaps of curses.

I have tried reaching the airtel customer care to no avail and going to the police is not an option because this is a murder case. I have even contemplated visiting this family (only if will hear me out on phone let alone disclosing there address ).

I also feared being tracked down if I continue using this line.

Please what should I do?
Re: Bought A Dead Man's Number by Beetwo(m): 11:14am On Oct 08, 2012
Dis is a serious issue, dont take it lightly, l will advise you go to the police to report no matter wat come may, dey are still d enemy you can dine wit. Callin customer care l dont tink it will help you dat much, but you can still contact them for notification/verification. Called dis 743 hope it helps. Best of luck.
Re: Bought A Dead Man's Number by Sirmee(m): 11:25am On Oct 08, 2012
tnx so much. I'll try d number but not sure if I'll involve d police because I sense its pure murder from d way d families sound.

mods please to the front page so I can get more advise
Re: Bought A Dead Man's Number by Nobody: 12:10pm On Oct 08, 2012
Please ignore! It doesn't make any sense. Who kills a man just to acquire a line not worth more than N500? It is 419 tactics. If you fall prey, you'll end up parting with a large sum of money.

A similar thing happened to me last year when I bought my airtel line. Some dude called me saying something similar to what you narrated. He said the number belonged to a dead man he knew, asking me why I was using it! At first I was taken aback...as to why someone would be calling to ask such dumb question. Knowing full well that service providers ALWAYS recycle abandoned lines to maximize profit. I promptly told him not to bother calling me as I had no intention of giving up the line. I *blocked the number he called me with, but he kept calling with other numbers. I kept blocking. He got tired after a month or two.

If the woman's claim is valid, she should report the case to airtel and the police. They should be the ones calling. Gerrit?
Re: Bought A Dead Man's Number by Sirmee(m): 12:35pm On Oct 08, 2012
fluid26: Please ignore! It doesn't make any sense. Who kills a man just to acquire a line not worth more than N500? It is 419 tactics. If you fall prey, you'll end up parting with a large sum of money.

A similar thing happened to me last year when I bought my airtel line. Some dude called me saying something similar to what you narrated. He said the number belonged to a dead man he knew, asking me why I was using it! At first I was taken aback...as to why someone would be calling to ask such dumb question. Knowing full well that service providers ALWAYS recycle abandoned lines to maximize profit. I promptly told him not to bother calling me as I had no intention of giving up the line. I *blocked the number he called me with, but he kept calling with other numbers. I kept blocking. He got tired after a month or two.

If the woman's claim is valid, she should report the case to airtel and the police. They should be the ones calling. Gerrit?

tnx 4 sharing ur experience , but I may give up d line.
Re: Bought A Dead Man's Number by Nobody: 12:41pm On Oct 08, 2012
Sirmee:

tnx 4 sharing ur experience , but I may give up d line.

As you like it! cheesy
Re: Bought A Dead Man's Number by CrazyMan(m): 12:54pm On Oct 08, 2012
Sirmee: tnx 4 sharing ur experience , but I may give up d line.
I would suggest you do so...the line is new, therefore there's nothing to loose.
Re: Bought A Dead Man's Number by Sirmee(m): 1:09pm On Oct 08, 2012
CrazyMan:
I would suggest you do so...the line is new, therefore there's nothing to loose.

na so my broda, I'll pick anoda one soon hopefully is not another dead man's number
Re: Bought A Dead Man's Number by Nobody: 1:17pm On Oct 08, 2012
Sirmee:

na so my broda, I'll pick anoda one soon hopefully is not another dead man's number

True. What is the probability that the new number you wanna acquire is *dead-man-free?

Man up. Block the numbers harassing you, they'll get tired. Don't allow some nitwits push you around. cheesy
Re: Bought A Dead Man's Number by Sirmee(m): 1:43pm On Oct 08, 2012
fluid26:

True. What is the probability that the new number you wanna acquire is *dead-man-free?

Man up. Block the numbers harassing you, they'll get tired. Don't allow some nitwits push you around. cheesy

tnx 4 ur candid advice
Re: Bought A Dead Man's Number by Beetwo(m): 2:10pm On Oct 08, 2012
Doin away wit d line is ok, but God forbid, wat if d line truly blong to a dead man, rememba you said you hav registered it, and also, dont you tink your fone might be traced if dis become a real case. Jus call d custmer care l gav you and report to d police, who knows it might b 419ers truly, but it is better to play safe. Jus my opinion sha
Re: Bought A Dead Man's Number by Sirmee(m): 2:29pm On Oct 08, 2012
Beetwo: Doin away wit d line is ok, but God forbid, wat if d line truly blong to a dead man, rememba you said you hav registered it, and also, dont you tink your fone might be traced if dis become a real case. Jus call d custmer care l gav you and report to d police, who knows it might b 419ers truly, but it is better to play safe. Jus my opinion sha

I'll get across 2 d customer care b4 thinking of next line of action
Re: Bought A Dead Man's Number by muyenmuyen: 4:29pm On Oct 08, 2012
go to ur service provider and explain /ask why the line is
not blocked b4 sold to u . pls don"t go to their place o o ooooooo
Re: Bought A Dead Man's Number by hakunajay(m): 5:32pm On Oct 08, 2012
Its simple, since the customer care line is not going through, go to any nearest airtel customer outlet/shop and make a formal complaint before going to the police. Dont forget we are in Nigeria, the police might complicate your issue if you refused to sort(murder case!). Unless of course, you will drop the line.
Re: Bought A Dead Man's Number by Sirmee(m): 5:53pm On Oct 08, 2012
muyenmuyen: go to ur service provider and explain /ask why the line is
not blocked b4 sold to u . pls don"t go to their place o o ooooooo

do u mean if its blocked b4 been sold to me, those that always reach the number b4 u b able 2 reach it again?
Re: Bought A Dead Man's Number by Sirmee(m): 6:36pm On Oct 08, 2012
fortunately for me I was able 2 reach airtel customer care now and was told 2 visit d nearest airtel shop.

I'll do dat tomorrow
Re: Bought A Dead Man's Number by 19naia(m): 7:34pm On Oct 08, 2012
if you are in Nigeria,its not bad to loose your money and throw away the sim or return it to the store for a new one...its not worth your life to be associated with murder in a country that exercises mob justice based on whatever and whoever they can designate as the culprit...To even call back to explain is a death wish in Nigeria..

1 Like

Re: Bought A Dead Man's Number by Sirmee(m): 12:36pm On Oct 09, 2012
thank you all for ur comments, I was @ d airtel shop 2day n d lady there helped me got back my old line. I have returned d dead man's sim 2 them.

but e be like say I go run package wit d airtel babe o. (we've exchanged numbers )....

(1) (Reply)

Which Of The Two Is Hard To Find In Nigeria A Virgin Or A Job ? / Woman Snaps Self With Stolen Phone And Sends It To Rightful Owner / NCC Plans To Introduce Lawful Interception Of Private Communications?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.