Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,701 members, 7,809,659 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:38 PM

Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi (5159 Views)

Cameroonian Soldiers Chase Nigerians Out Of Bakassi (Photo) / Senators To Revisit Ceding Of Bakassi This Week / Group Protests Ceding Of Bakassi To Cameroon In Abuja (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi by supereagle(m): 10:02pm On Oct 08, 2012
Mr Bethel Lemchi, a former governorship candidate in Imo state, has called on the Federal Government to buy Bakassi Peninsula from Cameroun instead of appealing the ICJ judgement, which ceded the territory to Nigeria's eastern neighbour.

He told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Port Harcourt on Monday that rather than appeal the judgment, the government should negotiate with Cameroun to purchase the oil rich peninsula.

Lemchi said the ICJ might up hold its Oct. 10, 2010 ruling which ceded the territory to Cameroun, adding that government should channel the funds for the appeal to buying the territory.

``Delay is dangerous; paying lawyers for appeal is not the best. We should go into negotiations with Cameroon just like Japan did with China.’’

The politician, who expressed doubts over the possibility of Nigeria wining the appeal, advised the Federal Government not to embark on the venture.

``Nigeria is a law abiding nation, having accepted the ruling, it is better for the government to discuss the terms of buying the territory from Cameroun.

``Bidding for Bakassi is the best and safer alternative for us because we cannot afford to lose that oil rich territory to Cameroon.’’

Lemchi said the time and resources the Nigerian government would expend to appeal the ICJ judgement would be a waste of state resources.

``The Nigerian government should show a sense of maturity and financial supremacy over Cameroon by buying off the place,’’ Lemchi said, and urged the government to immediately commence negotiations with Cameroun over the issue. (NAN

http://leadership.ng/nga/articles/36873/2012/10/08/politician_advocates_outright_purchase_bakassi.html

2 Likes

Re: Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi by Nobody: 10:31pm On Oct 08, 2012
Some of these politicians are dull, slow and daft. What if Cameroon simply refuse to sell?

2 Likes

Re: Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi by redsun(m): 10:38pm On Oct 08, 2012
Animals,they are always on the irrelevace,just to crookedly enrich their sub-human selves.

The country is burning,while they are busy looting .Alpha monkeys.

1 Like

Re: Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi by Callotti: 3:10am On Oct 09, 2012
No electricity, no water, no educational system, no healthcare, no transportation, no security. . . NO JESUS. . .NO LIFE. . . WHERE ALLAH DEY. . .BOKO HARAM DEY!

Bakassi should be afraid to join such a USELESS COUNTRY!
I am sure it is better off where it is.
ANIMALS IN HUMAN SKIN!!!!

1 Like

Re: Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi by Nobody: 6:16am On Oct 09, 2012
Callotti: No electricity, no water, no educational system, no healthcare, no transportation, no security. . . NO JESUS. . .NO LIFE. . . WHERE ALLAH DEY. . .BOKO HARAM DEY!

Bakassi should be afraid to join such a USELESS COUNTRY!
I am sure it is better off where it is.
ANIMALS IN HUMAN SKIN!!!!
Couldn't have put it better..
Re: Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi by Ejine(m): 6:21am On Oct 09, 2012
"Bidding for Bakassi is the best and safer alternative for us because we cannot afford losing that oil rich region to Cameroon"

Thank you, sir, for making us see it isn't about the genuine care for the welfare of people who used to be our countrymen, but just about the oil money and the greed that comes with it.
Now I remember why you couldn't even finish 9th place in the Imo State elections.

3 Likes

Re: Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi by wirinet(m): 6:32am On Oct 09, 2012
Clowns. Greed has seriously affected the mental state of most Nigerian politicians.
Why should Cameroon sell its well won price to Nigeria. This is the most stupid suggestion in the world, it deserves to enter Guinness book of records.
Bakassi is gone forever, if we should stupidly do anything stupid, we will incur the wrath of the international community. Not one country would support us.

This whole issue is coming up because the government have refused to spend money to resettle the bakassi people. Why can't they use the money they are getting from the 20 yr concession on the oil field to build good houses and resettle the bakassi people? No they would rather pay incompetent lawyers billions of dollars to make a fool of themselves.
Re: Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi by Nobody: 6:33am On Oct 09, 2012
@Wirinet, exactly my thoughts
Re: Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi by meksroland: 6:35am On Oct 09, 2012
The best suggestion so far made. We should purchase the land
Re: Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi by OYINBOGOJU(m): 6:43am On Oct 09, 2012
supereagle: Mr Bethel Lemchi, a former governorship candidate in Imo state, has called on the Federal Government to buy Bakassi Peninsula from Cameroun instead of appealing the ICJ judgement, which ceded the territory to Nigeria's eastern neighbour.

He told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Port Harcourt on Monday that rather than appeal the judgment, the government should negotiate with Cameroun to purchase the oil rich peninsula.

Lemchi said the ICJ might up hold its Oct. 10, 2010 ruling which ceded the territory to Cameroun, adding that government should channel the funds for the appeal to buying the territory.

``Delay is dangerous; paying lawyers for appeal is not the best. We should go into negotiations with Cameroon just like Japan did with China.’’

The politician, who expressed doubts over the possibility of Nigeria wining the appeal, advised the Federal Government not to embark on the venture.

``Nigeria is a law abiding nation, having accepted the ruling, it is better for the government to discuss the terms of buying the territory from Cameroun.

``Bidding for Bakassi is the best and safer alternative for us because we cannot afford to lose that oil rich territory to Cameroon.’’

Lemchi said the time and resources the Nigerian government would expend to appeal the ICJ judgement would be a waste of state resources.

``The Nigerian government should show a sense of maturity and financial supremacy over Cameroon by buying off the place,’’ Lemchi said, and urged the government to immediately commence negotiations with Cameroun over the issue. (NAN

http://leadership.ng/nga/articles/36873/2012/10/08/politician_advocates_outright_purchase_bakassi.html

Rubbish

You can not afford to lose Bakassi to Cameroon but you waited 10years with no appeal,no fight ,no negotiation to get it back.

What a coward?

1 Like

Re: Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi by wirinet(m): 6:45am On Oct 09, 2012
meksroland: The best suggestion so far made. We should purchase the land

why did he not make this suggestion before we went to the world court to make a fool of ourselves?

Why should Cameroon sell when they can make much more money in the long run by exploiting the oil?

Besides, where does the government hope to get the money to buy the oil rich peninsula? Is it all our 42 odd billion dollars in reserve or they would take a loan from the IMF. If Cameroon needs money desperately and decided to sell, it would be tens of billions of dollars. Remember France is also an interested party, so France would get their share also.
Re: Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi by Nobody: 6:45am On Oct 09, 2012
meksroland: The best suggestion so far made. We should purchase the land
money cannot buy everything not even bakassi! Knowing the worth of that land,I don't think cameroon will ever sell.
Re: Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi by Nobody: 6:48am On Oct 09, 2012
Ejiné:

Thank you, sir, for making us see it isn't about the genuine care for the welfare of people who used to be our countrymen, but just about the oil money and the greed that comes with it.
Now I remember why you couldn't even finish 9th place in the Imo State elections.

God bless you ejine for picking out those words!!..it shows our past and present leaders are not but greddy bas*tards who derive joy from seeing its masses die and suffer in vain.the slowpoke couldn't use his conscience to know what this guys are passing through, all his cursed mind could tell him is that bakassi is oil laden

everything that is happening to this country is cos' of we masses.how can this jezebel be elected or rigged his way to a govt position and yet we allow them corupted minds to rule us?..a brainless fellow?...this country has gone to the dogs!
Re: Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi by simplemach(m): 7:01am On Oct 09, 2012
well, i think dis purchasing shuld be made, not for d sake of d oil in d land but for d sake of d already angered people dia.
Re: Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi by chucky234(m): 7:12am On Oct 09, 2012
illiterate parading himself as a politician,purchase ko purchase ni.
What makes this clown think that Cameroon will be wiling to sell the peninsula back to Nigeria if not for stupidit.y,beetle-headed politithiefian.
Re: Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi by Patrictemmy(m): 7:39am On Oct 09, 2012
Paragraph 6.... Na lie
Re: Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi by Riskyman(m): 7:46am On Oct 09, 2012
I want to believe that some of us here knows the genesis to the selling/Conceding of Bakassi to Cameroon. I dont see the reason we should be disturbed by this single issue over and over again. Now, let me remind you that the said "Bakassi" was not taken by force from us(Nigeria) and i even wonder why we are asking them to give us "Bakassi" back.

Bakassi was sold out during the war, just for the simple fact that the Nigerian Gov. didnt want the Igbo's to have access to the outter world (Arm Suppiles, Food, Medication etc). Now tell me if this kinda act(Selling part of your country... Not becourse the masses are hungry and the money will be used to feed them, not becourse the said area is not important etc) has happened anywhere in this world. To me, Bakassi is a forgotten matter and we should see it as it is.

Incase you dont, Bakassi is done and there is nothing the Senate, the Goverment or anybody can do about it. Does it occur to you that, oil was not discovered in that area (Bakassi) when it was sold out to Cameroon and now that there is oil in that area, Nigeria just walk up to them asking them to release the area (Do you think they(Cameroon) people are stupid or what).

If i'm the President of Cameroon, even if You(Nigeria) offers the whole Northen Nigeria to me(Cameroon), i will not release Bakassi. Lets learn how to live with the fact and move on.

1 Like

Re: Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi by abouzaid: 8:31am On Oct 09, 2012
They should allow the camerounians to keep and exploit the mineral reserves while they purchase back d land. What d guy said is actually d standard approach anywhere in d world to avoid conflict. D camerounians have no plan to settle their ppl and it's d efik homeland. The money obasanjo claimed te use in d world court for lawyers was actually more than enough 2 buy back d land.

1 Like

Re: Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi by bigtt76(f): 8:37am On Oct 09, 2012
Mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeew!.....WAKA PASS <Cat Walks Away> .....Hisssing ....another mumu on the loose!

supereagle: Mr Bethel Lemchi, a former governorship candidate in Imo state, has called on the Federal Government to buy Bakassi Peninsula from Cameroun instead of appealing the ICJ judgement, which ceded the territory to Nigeria's eastern neighbour.
Re: Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi by Ejine(m): 8:42am On Oct 09, 2012
bigtt76: Mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeew!.....WAKA PASS <Cat Walks Away> .....Hisssing ....another mumu on the loose!

But was that why the cat had to quote the entire post?
Re: Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi by mrperfect(m): 8:43am On Oct 09, 2012
He has a good point in my opinion, if this is last resort.
Re: Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi by babyboy3(m): 9:55am On Oct 09, 2012
Incase you dont, Bakassi is done and there is nothing the Senate, the Goverment or anybody can do about it. Does it occur to you that, oil was not discovered in that area (Bakassi) when it was sold out to Cameroon and now that there is oil in that area, Nigeria just walk up to them asking them to release the area (Do you think they(Cameroon) people are silly or what).

If i'm the President of Cameroon, even if You(Nigeria) offers the whole Northen Nigeria to me(Cameroon), i will not release Bakassi. Lets learn how to live with the fact and move on.

Your wrong! why do you think Great Britain still has a firm grip on the Falkland Island? because the people living there don't want to be part of Argentina, Nigeria could muscle in, if the people living in the region are adamant that they dont want to be part of Cameroon.
Re: Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:08am On Oct 09, 2012
This is a lost cause and majorly a fault of the Nigerian Government.
1: Cameroon makes a case she has ignored for over 40 years
2: Nigeria accedes to this claim with no appeal whatsoever
3: 10 years later, logigi!! (suddenly) Nigeria realizes that she has an option to appeal the judgement but does not make any noise about it
4: After initial responses by NGOs and Activists groups, Nigeria finally concedes Bakassi to the Cameroonians, Killing any option to appeal

WTF!! angry
Re: Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi by UjSizzle(f): 10:10am On Oct 09, 2012
Ejiné:

i honestly can't believe u didn't realise that before now.
It's always about what u can gain from Bakassi....that has always been the gist.
Re: Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 10:36am On Oct 09, 2012
Wat a foolish idea. Cameroon is now oil rich as Nigeria if not more. Cameroon will not sell their future to Nigeria. Daft
Re: Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi by Raphtop(m): 10:55am On Oct 09, 2012
Prof Corruption: Some of these politicians are dull, slow and daft. What if Cameroon simply refuse to sell?
i tire o
Re: Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi by ektbear: 10:57am On Oct 09, 2012
Prof Corruption: Some of these politicians are dull, slow and daft. What if Cameroon simply refuse to sell?

You can still make an offer, though.

1 Like

Re: Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi by SOHKAHTOA: 11:26am On Oct 09, 2012
Political solution is the only option left to us at this point.... The mistake has been made in the past, we can only add more sore to injury if we go ahead for a review when not one single fact different from the ones available to the court ten(10)yrs ago has emerged. I understand that many Nigerians will insult govt for this action, yea, the emotions are understood but emotion is not law and it's the law that's taken it's turn here. Prince Ajibola and co misrepresented us for whatever reason and that injury cannot heal. The Nigerian government should enter agreement with the Camerouian authority on the possibility of acquiring back the land to be our legitimate territory even if Cameroon harnesses the resources there. What matters to usvnow is the nigerians who had dwelt and had considered Bakassi as their ancestral home
Re: Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi by kagel: 11:32am On Oct 09, 2012
MR SMART, YOU DON'T KNOW THE REMOTE OF THE ISSUE AND I WANT YOU TO UNDERSTAND IT NOW OR U SHOUT-UP UR MOUTH WHEN THE WISE ONE'S ARE MAKING POINT. OK?
NOW GO AND ASK GOWON WHAT HAPPENED HE IS STILL ALIVE. to give u a tip of the story Nigeria army came in through that land to fit BIAFRAN ARMY AND DURING THE COLONIZATION of Nigeria that land was not included, so what do u think that WILL be the solution? is not to buy it back? BAKASI PENINSULAR is CAMEROONS NAME
Re: Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi by kagel: 11:55am On Oct 09, 2012
Prof Corruption: [color=#990000]Some of these politicians are dull, slow and daft. What if Cameroon simply refuse to sell?
MR SMART, YOU DON'T KNOW THE REMOTE OF THE ISSUE AND I WANT YOU TO UNDERSTAND IT NOW OR U SHOUT-UP UR MOUTH WHEN THE WISE ONE'S ARE MAKING POINT. OK?
NOW GO AND ASK GOWON WHAT HAPPENED HE IS STILL ALIVE. to give u a tip of the story Nigeria army came in through that land to fit BIAFRAN ARMY AND DURING THE COLONIZATION of Nigeria that land was not included, so what do u think that WILL be the solution? is not to buy it back? BAKASI PENINSULAR is CAMEROONS NAME[
/color]
Re: Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi by touchmehard: 12:51pm On Oct 09, 2012
mrperfect: He has a good point in my opinion, if this is last resort.
I think so o, maybe we can try and negotiate with Cameroon to ascertain if they would be willing to sell. It's not just about the oil, it's about the people of Bakassi. From all indications, it seems they still want to be Nigerians.
Let us leave sentiments apart, that man's suggestion can be tried out, if it works, good, if it doesn't work, so be it then.
Re: Politician Advocates Outright Purchase Of Bakassi by Arosa(m): 12:53pm On Oct 09, 2012
abouzaid: They should allow the camerounians to keep and exploit the mineral reserves while they purchase back d land. What d guy said is actually d standard approach anywhere in d world to avoid conflict. D camerounians have no plan to settle their ppl and it's d efik homeland. The money obasanjo claimed te use in d world court for lawyers was actually more than enough 2 buy back d land.

I agree with you on this.

(1) (2) (Reply)

APC Is A Threat To Democracy – Obanikoro / Bayelsa Community Marks "Day Of Resistance" Against Biafran Soldiers / Biafra New Fraud Scheme Exposed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.