Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,128 members, 7,821,865 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:24 PM

How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? (15656 Views)

Are Nigerian Women Truely The Most Unfaithful? Vanguard Article / Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? / Wedding Bells : Latest Nigerian Weddings In 2010 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by Nobody: 1:04am On Oct 09, 2012
Not everyone that gets married is financially bam. Yet you see that a nigerian wedding never fails to be over-the-top.
Where does the money for this come from?

Some people get married and I know that the man doesnt really have much to begin with.
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by slimyem: 1:46am On Oct 09, 2012
This is a no-brainer...
If the wedding appears to be bigger than what the couple can naturally afford,one can only assume its one of these options...loans,family,friends or the three altogether!!

4 Likes

Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by free2ryhme: 1:56am On Oct 09, 2012
try get to the bridge and see if you will cross it or not undecided

1 Like

Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by Nobody: 2:28am On Oct 09, 2012
slimyem: This is a no-brainer...
If the wedding appear to be bigger than what the couple can naturally afford,one can only assume its one of these options...loans,family,friends or the three altogether!!

Is there wisdom in that?
Borrowing to do wedding is just absurd, but if it weren't the case, a lot of couples wouldn't be married today.

I still think it wiser to wed according to ones current standing, and do away with excesses...but thats just me.
Whites typically have just one wedding and its reception, no matter how glam they want it.

Nigerians have 2 weddings, each with their receptions.
Thats serious paper....

2 Likes

Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by slimyem: 7:55am On Oct 09, 2012
^^you call them excesses but they'll tell you that its a one-time thing and has to be glam no matter what it'd take!
If there's one thing Nigerians love,its "owambes".....and questioning or criticising the rationality behind the parties will only leave you with more questions.

1 Like

Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by Nobody: 9:40am On Oct 09, 2012
Most Africa wedding are sponsored by both families,but the richer family bears the lion's share of the budget.the couple also get support from families,friends,and well wishers. After that the couple are on their own.
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by Adufaye(m): 9:43am On Oct 09, 2012
as 4 me am nt doin an f*ckin weddin,money wey i go use feed n train ma kids 4 yrs na me go waste,rubish,dats y i dnt attend weddinz
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by mrperfect(m): 9:44am On Oct 09, 2012
Both Families or friends.
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by achi4u(m): 9:48am On Oct 09, 2012
The problems most couples have today is not cutting their coat according to their size,they over spend the little one they have and still went ahead to borrow money...just to show off.

Nigeria system is too cumbersome.
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by jaybee3(m): 9:49am On Oct 09, 2012
dunno
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by Kajiang02(m): 9:51am On Oct 09, 2012
My Ideal Wedding. (If the lady go gree too ooo)
1. Tuesday during lunch at work, = We go to the registry with 2 friends and family members and back to the office.
2. Wednesday morning Mass( 6-7am) we wear the gown and the priest pronounce us, in the evening we do the whole traditional dance thing. i had always wish i'll do everything same day.
We spend so much in ceremonies on marriages that may not last sef.

Imagine some one who did these;
1. Knocking (To knock door for the babe house).
2. Introduction. (To let the people know you).
3. Traditional marriage (Make the parents bless you).
4. Registry. (To make it legal).
5. White wedding (To bless the union in the church).

i pity my guy......

4 Likes

Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by vanitty: 9:52am On Oct 09, 2012
You will be surprised at how many cash or kind gifts are presented to the couple by family and friends while some give cash, some render services.
Funding for a wedding is never the sole responsibility of the couple, well all the weddings I have been a part of.
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by Nobody: 9:53am On Oct 09, 2012
slimyem: This is a no-brainer...
If the wedding appears to be bigger than what the couple can naturally afford,one can only assume its one of these options...loans,family,friends or the three altogether!!
it will just be stupidity for someone to fund a wedding with loan,is wedding a profitable venture,in terms of returns on investment?

2 Likes

Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by achi4u(m): 9:53am On Oct 09, 2012
Adufaye: as 4 me am nt doin an f*ckin weddin,money wey i go use feed n train ma kids 4 yrs na me go waste,rubish,dats y i dnt attend weddinz
I wish ur woman will think this way,your problem will be minimum.
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by Nobody: 9:54am On Oct 09, 2012
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by jigawatts(m): 9:56am On Oct 09, 2012
The thing is, If a couple and their family can afford to pay for the wedding expenses.......... FINE

BUT: For people managing or on the average scale, its always good to cut your coat according to your cloth. Having a big wedding is practically unnecessary. I know people that saved for years just for wedding ceremony, some even owe so much debt, so absurd. AND I so much hate this ÄSO-EBI" stuff, you are inviting people to your wedding and also gaining massively from the sales of the ASO-EBI ..... to me, its unfair.

2 Likes

Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by achi4u(m): 9:57am On Oct 09, 2012
vanitty: You will be surprised at how many cash or kind gifts are presented to the couple by family and friends while some give cash, some render services.
Funding for a wedding is never the sole responsibility of the couple, well all the weddings I have been a part of.
Depend on the couple,if they are social and always attends other peoples own.
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by jigawatts(m): 9:58am On Oct 09, 2012
achi4u: I wish ur woman will think this way,your problem will be minimum.

EXACTLY, thats the major problem, IF we leave it to the guys, they'll prefer a medium-scale or low-key wedding... BUT babes wan show ..... TLC tins wink
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by switchmax8: 9:59am On Oct 09, 2012
neighbors,hawkers and govt
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by 1ndidi2(f): 9:59am On Oct 09, 2012
So what should a moderate wedding be like? Where u don't have to go overboard in expenses?
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by 4wardever(m): 10:03am On Oct 09, 2012
ONE THING I've learnt in life anywhere is that it pays to be good to others and look for opportunities to give even when they do not ask. However, if you are tight-fisted, it will show even on your wedding day. You might have the money to foot all the bills from the beginning to end but at the end of the day those kind of people are usually bitter/remorseful after spending that kind of money.

In this part of the world, we're still our brothers' keeper and one good turn will always deserve another.

Again I say, when you're good to others genuinely, God will always make a way where there seems to be no way.

3 Likes

Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by jigawatts(m): 10:05am On Oct 09, 2012
1ndidi2: So what should a moderate wedding be like? Where u don't have to go overboard in expenses?

FOR MUSLIMS: Its the Nikkai ceremony that is the major stuff, all these engagement, reception are not recognized.

NIKKAI: is when they the couple fufil the most important rights of marriage: Parents Acceptance, Dowry, witnesses, ..etc......and prayers.

6 Likes

Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by Networkmaster(m): 10:08am On Oct 09, 2012
I asked her if we can just do the white wedding and get over the wedding story.
She shouted NOOOO!!!! The traditional wedding is very important oo, we must do all the
weddings and i should not forget about the ASO-EBI and the gifts for the guest.

I just felt like crying, wonder why some of our 9ja ladies are not understanding
and can't just get over this marriage show ups. The earlier the start reasoning with
their men on how to make the wedding a low key one, the better. Else, ladies will still
be struggling to find husband. She is just chasing me away really.

3 Likes

Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by tonynickson(m): 10:09am On Oct 09, 2012
If one is on dough c'mon one can do anytin to marry his found rib .. all I need is let dia be enof dough but wen there is no money evrytin shld be strictly modest and prioritized..times are hard and getting harder by the̶̲̥̅̊ day
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by Nobody: 10:15am On Oct 09, 2012
Omo,na by borrow borrow make me rich...
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by goofie: 10:15am On Oct 09, 2012
Yomieluv: it will just be stupidity for someone to fund a wedding with loan,is wedding a profitable venture,in terms of returns on investment?

i think so too. its better to do it according ur pocket.

my friend n her hubby borrowd for their wedding. dey r still paying up 2 yrs after.buying a car is still not in their budget cos dey r still paying 4 their wedding.

she warned me 2 be wise.

for me,i hv alrdy started apologizing to my friends in advance cos i dont see most of them attending.

3 Likes

Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by emenim(m): 10:16am On Oct 09, 2012
What i think is that most of those flamboyant marriage you see out there are probably sponsored by different groups if you understand what i mean
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by Nobody: 10:17am On Oct 09, 2012
Kajiang02: My Ideal Wedding. (If the lady go gree too ooo)
1. Tuesday during lunch at work, = We go to the registry with 2 friends and family members and back to the office.
2. Wednesday morning Mass( 6-7am) we wear the gown and the priest pronounce us, in the evening we do the whole traditional dance thing. i had always wish i'll do everything same day.

We spend so much in ceremonies on marriages that may not last sef.
dis is exactly what i proposed to my girlfriend wey don dey disturb me for marriage since, she vehemently refused saying "ive done ashebi for my friends, why wont my freinds do ashebi for me" i am now on a search for a girl that will agree to this method of marriage

6 Likes

Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by sdiq: 10:17am On Oct 09, 2012
I DON KUKU TELL U AJOKE, NO PARTY O JUST FULL WHAT GOD ASK FOR TO MAKE US OKO ATI IYAWO, THE REST FORGET O I HATE PARTY WITH PASSION
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by Nobody: 10:17am On Oct 09, 2012
tonynickson: If one is on dough c'mon one can do anytin to marry his found rib .. all I need is let dia be enof dough but wen there is no money evrytin shld be strictly modest and prioritized..times are hard and getting harder by the̶̲̥̅̊ day

Invest the money on your marriage, and not the wedding. I tell you she will even love you the more

1 Like

Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by 1ndidi2(f): 10:24am On Oct 09, 2012
D 'now popular' style aint so bad- where u do the white wedding in the morning @church and then the trad/reception in the evening @d choice venue!

Whether u are buoyant enough or not,that style aint so bad.

Also , a few choice guests should do! One musn't invite d whole clan,friends, street or village

As for d registry,just d couple and two witnesses will suffice,later u all could go to chicken republic, grab a bite/drink and get one of those photographers in the joint to take some shots.
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by Nobody: 10:26am On Oct 09, 2012
If you have it splash it.

Some areas can be on budget but feeding , pictures and video must be on point. Years to come these will remind you of what a blast you had on your special day and your kids and grand kids will be able to appreciate the culture of your era.

Lets stop thinking as though life becomes financially distressful after marriage. Even if you save 1million by doing a 20man wedding, eventually you will spend it on something grand.

So why not make your special day grand. Just get a good job first.

....been there, done that (the treble). T-R-C

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? / For Women Who Don't Or Never Had Orgasm..... / Should Husbands Be Allowed Into The Labour Room?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.