Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,203 members, 7,835,990 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:49 PM

Zimbabwe's Tsvangirai Snubs Funeral For Rochas Birthday Party - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Zimbabwe's Tsvangirai Snubs Funeral For Rochas Birthday Party (821 Views)

Ministerial Portfolio: A Question From Ndi Imo For Rochas Okorocha / Why Igbos Must Vote For Rochas & Other APC Candidates In SE Next Week / Lagos Funeral For Late Dim Odumegwu-ojukwu (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Zimbabwe's Tsvangirai Snubs Funeral For Rochas Birthday Party by Abagworo(m): 11:12am On Oct 09, 2012
Masvingo Bureau — PRIME Minister Morgan Tsvangirai snubbed the burial of veteran politician and national hero Cde Isack Stanislaus Gorerazvo Mudenge to attend the birthday party of his friend and Nigerian Governor for Imo State, Mr Owelle Rochas Okorocha.

The MDC-T leader was in Masvingo last Friday where he reportedly told civic organisations that the peace prevailing in the country is conducive for holding an election and there was no justification for the United Nations to deploy peacekeepers here ahead of polls slated for March next year.

Cde Mudenge died in Masvingo last Thursday.

Mr Tsvangirai reportedly left Harare on Sunday, the day Cde Mudenge's body arrived from Masvingo for burial yesterday.

Sources say Governor Okorocha, who is reportedly rich, has strong links with the United States government and might be acting as a conduit of financial assistance to the MDC-T to sponsor its election campaigns.

President Mugabe has provisionally said the harmonised elections will be held by March 31 next year.

Said a source close to the matter: "He (the PM) went to Nigeria at the invitation of Governor Owelle Rochas Okorocha of Imo State to attend a birthday party. The two are supposed to be friends and the governor is rich."

Governor Okorocha was recently given an award by the US Congress, which links him to the American establishment.

The award Mr Okorocha got was called Congressional Certificate of Recognition.

In a citation, the governor was described as "one of Africa's third generation of leaders who represents hope for Nigeria".

This is almost the same accolade Americans and Europeans gave the MDC-T leader along with his forebears Ndabaningi Sithole and Abel Muzorewa, who also received funding from the West through the late King Hassan of Morocco between 1978 and 1979.

The money came through clandestine transactions that were facilitated by Rhodesia's Central Intelligence Organisation director-general, Ken Flower, and former deputy director of America's Central Intelligence Agency, the late Mr Vernon Walters.

The Americans have also been linked with Rhodesian farmers in Kwara State of Nigeria and reports say the PM's visit had more to do with funding than attending the birthday party.

Mr Tsvangirai's spokesperson Mr Luke Tamborinyoka confirmed yesterday that his boss had left for Nigeria, but claimed he was attending a conference for orphans.

"I can confirm that the PM went to Nigeria - Imo State -- at the invitation of the governor to be guest of honour at an orphans' conference. On his way he had a stopover in Abuja where he had a meeting with Nigerian President Mr Goodluck Jonathan.

He briefed him on the situation in Zimbabwe before proceeding to Imo province. It is not true that he has gone there for a birthday party," he said.

MDC-T is in panic mood as reports say the party's support countrywide is decreasing.

Surveys commissioned by Freedom House, a US-based think-tank, and Afrobarometer, a western non-governmental organisation, in August this year revealed that Zanu-PF's popularity among Zimbabweans was increasing at a time support for the MDC-T was plummeting.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201210090253.html
Re: Zimbabwe's Tsvangirai Snubs Funeral For Rochas Birthday Party by PointB: 12:42pm On Oct 09, 2012
Governor Okorocha was recently given an award by the US Congress, which links him to the American establishment.

The award Mr Okorocha got was called Congressional Certificate of Recognition.

In a citation, the governor was described as "one of Africa's third generation of leaders who represents hope for Nigeria".

Interesting. Rochas, appears to be blazing the trail.

PM Morgan Tsvangirai sure knows how to choose his company wisely.
Re: Zimbabwe's Tsvangirai Snubs Funeral For Rochas Birthday Party by Afam4eva(m): 12:55pm On Oct 09, 2012
@Abagworo
I hope you haven't become a Rochas paid agent...@PointB, He's blazing the trail indeed. The award given to him by the congress is not just for his effort as the governor of Imo state but as a leader generally.
Re: Zimbabwe's Tsvangirai Snubs Funeral For Rochas Birthday Party by PointB: 1:01pm On Oct 09, 2012
afam4eva: @Abagworo
I hope you haven't become a Rochas paid agent...@PointB, He's blazing the trail indeed. The award given to him by the congress is not just for his effort as the governor of Imo state but as a leader generally.

lol, at you comment about Abagworo. But someone will have to inform us once a while, what Rochas is up to. If the mantle falls upon him (Abagworo) so be it. I pray Rochas succeeds, Imo State need massive re-construction. And I believe if his attention/investment in education pays dividend, Imo State won't lack leader in the next generation, that alone is massive achievement.
Re: Zimbabwe's Tsvangirai Snubs Funeral For Rochas Birthday Party by Afam4eva(m): 1:07pm On Oct 09, 2012
PointB:

lol, at you comment about Abagworo. But someone will have to inform us once a while, what Rochas is up to. If the mantle falls upon him (Abagworo) so be it. I pray Rochas succeeds, Imo State need massive re-construction. And I believe if his attention/investment in education pays dividend, Imo State won't lack leader in the next generation, that alone is massive achievement.
It's just that i noticed that he's been the one feeding us with news about Rochas and Imo state. It's a good thing if he's not on the payroll of the governor.
Re: Zimbabwe's Tsvangirai Snubs Funeral For Rochas Birthday Party by PointB: 1:14pm On Oct 09, 2012
afam4eva:
It's just that i noticed that he's been the one feeding us with news about Rochas and Imo state. It's a good thing if he's not on the payroll of the governor.

I doubt if he is such person, but then anything is possible.
Re: Zimbabwe's Tsvangirai Snubs Funeral For Rochas Birthday Party by Ejine(m): 1:33pm On Oct 09, 2012
Cool. Atleast the Congress award thing wasn't a "gold card invitation" claim by a certain somebody I know grin
Re: Zimbabwe's Tsvangirai Snubs Funeral For Rochas Birthday Party by PointB: 2:05pm On Oct 09, 2012
Ejiné: Cool. Atleast the Congress award thing wasn't a "gold card invitation" claim by a certain somebody I know grin

I did a quick search, the award looks more genuine. Unike the 'cheering desperado' grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

One Of My Nigerian Heroes : Wole Soyinka Speaks On Religion / Waec And Neco Result Upgrade / Edit Is Now On. Go Below To View The Requirement / A Letter To Reuben: Hypocrisy Of Today’s men

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.