Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:45 AM

Ankio Briggs Condemns Jonathan’s Broadcast - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ankio Briggs Condemns Jonathan’s Broadcast (10513 Views)

Tompolo: Withdraw Troops From Niger Delta – Ann-kio Briggs Warns Buhari / Flash: We’ll Destroy All Oil Pipelines If .... Ankio Briggs / Ankio Briggs Says War Is Coming.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ankio Briggs Condemns Jonathan’s Broadcast by Ptimes: 11:45am On Oct 09, 2012
A Niger-Delta rights activist and ally of President Goodluck Jonathan, Ankio Briggs, has criticised the president’s national broadcast, made on Tuesday morning.

In the broadcast, focused on the floods ravaging several states of the country, the President announced the categorization of flood affected states and the approval of monies to the states. Mr. Jonathan also announced the setting up of a committee to raise funds to address the floods.
Read more:http://premiumtimesng.com/news/102982-ankio-briggs-condemns-jonathans-broadcast.html
Re: Ankio Briggs Condemns Jonathan’s Broadcast by chucky234(m): 1:13pm On Oct 09, 2012
The broadcast was absurd and uncalled for,you don't need a national broadcast to disburse funds to flood victims or the affected states.
The president is surrounded by too many clueless goon who earns fat pay for doing nothing other than mislead the president,its a pity.

5 Likes

Re: Ankio Briggs Condemns Jonathan’s Broadcast by toyoC1(f): 7:45pm On Oct 09, 2012
He's definitely trying to divert our attention from something..only God know what.

2 Likes

Re: Ankio Briggs Condemns Jonathan’s Broadcast by jmaine: 7:51pm On Oct 09, 2012
A Niger-Delta rights activist and ally of President Goodluck Jonathan, Ankio Briggs, has criticised the president’s national broadcast, made on Tuesday morning.

In the broadcast, focused on the floods ravaging several states of the country, the President announced the categorization of flood affected states and the approval of monies to the states. Mr. Jonathan also announced the setting up of a committee to raise funds to address the floods.

Ms. Briggs, who spoke on a Channels Television program, however condemned each of the major decisions announced by Mr. Jonathan.

While speaking on the flood fund committee, Ms. Briggs said “setting up committee now, we are setting up committee now that will do what. The Government does not even know the affected communities.”

The rights activist who has just visited flood ravaged communities in some Niger-delta States like Bayelsa and Rivers also condemned the categorisation of flood ravaged states saying “it is not about categorising states in category A and B. How did they arrive at these categories?”

While talking about the money to be given to the affected states, Ms. Briggs said “it is not about funds. We have money. It is about help. Federal Government, States, Local Governments does not have capacity. We need international help.”

Declare disaster areas

Ms. Briggs said her observation from her visit to the affected communities shows that governments at all levels do not have the capacity to address the flood situation.

“They (governments) don’t have capacity to do anything. Nigeria does not have capacity to run this disaster, to manage this disaster,” she said.

She gave several examples of dire situations flood victims in the Niger Delta are living including living ion house ceilings, living in submerged houses and so on.

Ms. Briggs urged the Federal Government to declare flood ravaged states as disaster areas, and to seek international help in addressing the flood.

She urged the international community and aid agencies to come to the aid of Nigeria over the flooding.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/102982-ankio-briggs-condemns-jonathans-broadcast.html
Re: Ankio Briggs Condemns Jonathan’s Broadcast by karlmax2: 8:24pm On Oct 09, 2012
chucky234: The broadcast was absurd and uncalled for,you don't need a national broadcast to disburse funds to flood victims or the affected states.
The president is surrounded by too many clueless goon who earns fat pay for doing nothing other than mislead the president,its a pity.
now that u knw how much each state in every category is getting, if ur from one of those state don't u think its ur civil responsibility to find out when the states get these funds and how they put it in good use to achieve its objective? Now that he made the amount they are releasing to the states public for every one to hear and monitor how it is been spent by the states ur complaining!if he makes it a secret too and give it to the states without making it public people like u would still criticise him WHY because ur are paid to criticise this government.people like u would always criticise any effort made by this government to transform and change the way the country is been governed!between the fund the FG is releasing is a public fund why should he not announce it publicly?the presidents broadcast is meant for the affected flood victims not a paid internet critics like you,they need to knw how much the FG released and they can monitor how the fund is been used to help their situation.or are u bitter that the amount ur oga would get for this flood disaster has been made public!!

12 Likes

Re: Ankio Briggs Condemns Jonathan’s Broadcast by Nobody: 8:59pm On Oct 09, 2012
chucky234: The broadcast was absurd and uncalled for,you don't need a national broadcast to disburse funds to flood victims or the affected states.
exactly! I thought he had meaningful things to say only for him to come on air and say category bla bla bla! Setting up committee and how money is gonna be disbursed! It was uncalled for honestly.

2 Likes

Re: Ankio Briggs Condemns Jonathan’s Broadcast by lacasa: 9:02pm On Oct 09, 2012
Who gives a Damn??
Re: Ankio Briggs Condemns Jonathan’s Broadcast by Nobody: 9:09pm On Oct 09, 2012
we need international help
nigeria is not equipped for this type of disaster.
shameless country
Re: Ankio Briggs Condemns Jonathan’s Broadcast by chucky234(m): 9:12pm On Oct 09, 2012
karl max: now that u knw how much each state in every category is getting, if ur from one of those state don't u think its ur civil responsibility to find out when the states get these funds and how they put it in good use to achieve its objective? Now that he made the amount they are releasing to the states public for every one to hear and monitor how it is been spent by the states ur complaining!if he makes it a secret too and give it to the states without making it public people like u would still criticise him WHY because ur are paid to criticise this government.people like u would always criticise any effort made by this government to transform and change the way the country is been governed!between the fund the FG is releasing is a public fund why should he not announce it publicly?the presidents broadcast is meant for the affected flood victims not a paid internet critics like you,they need to knw how much the FG released and they can monitor how the fund is been used to help their situation.or are u bitter that the amount ur oga would get for this flood disaster has been made public!!
Where have you been hiding,its been a while since our path crossed. I can see you you are trying too hard to impress me just as your boss is trying very hard to impress Nigerians,well done boy but the truth remains,the broadcast was uncalled for.
Re: Ankio Briggs Condemns Jonathan’s Broadcast by Gabrielsylar(m): 9:12pm On Oct 09, 2012
ow can u give a speech just to donate relif to victims.....oga oooo
Re: Ankio Briggs Condemns Jonathan’s Broadcast by mrperfect(m): 9:15pm On Oct 09, 2012
That is his opinion.
Re: Ankio Briggs Condemns Jonathan’s Broadcast by Nobody: 9:23pm On Oct 09, 2012
i wish they could build a pipeline and pump it all to the sahara

1 Like

Re: Ankio Briggs Condemns Jonathan’s Broadcast by seechris(m): 9:26pm On Oct 09, 2012
Why should a president be misled so easily all the time, we have a non presiding president.
Re: Ankio Briggs Condemns Jonathan’s Broadcast by nagoma(m): 9:33pm On Oct 09, 2012
So what is the money going to be used for ? Drainage construction? Rebiuilding houses? dam construction? Food purchase? We all know that there will be flood next year as well ( not sure of the extent) is the president planning a broadcast next year? Is the committe a standing committee or adhoc? Will There be a new committee next year? Did the president say what caused th floods? What did he say about the Cameroonian dam? Do we know that flood water could be the solution to our electri ity generation problem? If we have 3 big dams on the Benue river and 3 additional ones on the niger solely for electricity generation , the water could also be controlled for use in agric, fishery etc etc and with such big dams major flooding will be reduced to something tolerable.and much below disaster level.

1 Like

Re: Ankio Briggs Condemns Jonathan’s Broadcast by yohannazack(m): 9:43pm On Oct 09, 2012
How many flood victim states has the mr gej visited so far? And why didnt he includ the issue of floodin in his independence broadcast? Many nigerians hav died, d recent one was d massacare in mubi adamawa state. Always settin up communities, yet no result. I luv gej, but he has......................... Somtin is wrong wit his entire cabinet. These guys are jst misleadin him, i pray he wil discover on time.
Re: Ankio Briggs Condemns Jonathan’s Broadcast by skyfall: 10:00pm On Oct 09, 2012
Confused president. That's his habit of throwing money at every problem. No plan to solve the underlying cause. M.U.M.U!

And what's with Ankio Briggs? I thought Jonathan was their son who should never be criticised. Bunch of primitives.

1 Like

Re: Ankio Briggs Condemns Jonathan’s Broadcast by taharqa: 10:03pm On Oct 09, 2012
Ankio Briggs didnt 'condemn' the speech. She only meant the measures were not enough to deal with the extent of the floods, especially the ones he had seen herself in the Niger Delta, hence her advice on the Govt to seek some International Aid( she questioned the need for the committee apparently not aware that the committee i only meant to raise additional money; she also questions the categorization of the affected States maybe cos she feels more help should come to the ND states which she perhaps considers more affected). In other words, she is criticizing some aspects of the intervention, asking for more(understandably) and suggesting what all the tiers of govts(FG, State, Local) should be doing ging forward. Some people apparently think you have to cant disagree with govt or give a different suggestion from govt's except you are 'condemning' GEJ. Pathetic.

Meanwhile......

Obama addressing the nation(US) on the BP Oil Disaster http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=851266n

Bush addresing the nation on the Katrina Hurricane Disaster( which he did at various times) http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=851266n
Re: Ankio Briggs Condemns Jonathan’s Broadcast by emmanwandud(m): 10:04pm On Oct 09, 2012
All little advice 2 those who are vulnerable they should learn how 2 swim
Re: Ankio Briggs Condemns Jonathan’s Broadcast by taharqa: 10:05pm On Oct 09, 2012
skyfall: Confused president. That's his habit of throwing money at every problem. No plan to solve the underlying cause. M.U.M.U!

And what's with Ankio Briggs. I thought Jonathan was their son. Bunch of primitives.

eediot. Did you read or watch the speech, eh Mr.eediot?
Re: Ankio Briggs Condemns Jonathan’s Broadcast by divatosin(f): 10:08pm On Oct 09, 2012
It was absolutely necessary for GEJ to address the nation on the flood issue. If it were in America, the president would also do same over a natural disaster which is ravaging the entire nation.
Re: Ankio Briggs Condemns Jonathan’s Broadcast by Bukkyade: 10:16pm On Oct 09, 2012
I respect Ankio Briggs but she was not properly briefed on this one. The committee was formed as a fund raising committee. That is even the more reason why those moneybags were co opted to assist in raising money for the project.
This natural disaster of flooding is more serious than we think. It is really a big threat to us all. I saw the picture where the minister of Aviation paddled a canoe into her residence in the village. Very serious.
It deserves that level of attention that the president accorded it this morning with a broadcast. We must mitigate and prevent this disaster collectively.
Re: Ankio Briggs Condemns Jonathan’s Broadcast by Nobody: 10:21pm On Oct 09, 2012
it's so pathetic how cheap access to Internet has permitted mor.ons, jokers and illiterates to make senseless comments. Information concerning public expenditure is now an issue for debate when what you should be concerned about is how to hold the state governments, MDAs and local government responsible for every penny frittered away. The flood has happened and Jonathan has done his part by making provision to redeem the situation. it's left for the local, states, NEMA etc to make sure the money is not used to enrich some corrupt politician, contractors etc. What we should be clamouring for is a comprehensive dossier of how this money is spent.
c
Re: Ankio Briggs Condemns Jonathan’s Broadcast by skyfall: 10:24pm On Oct 09, 2012
taharqa:

eediot. Did you read or watch the speech, eh Mr.eediot?

I know i'll definitely get more primitives aligning themselves with the above-mentioned.
Re: Ankio Briggs Condemns Jonathan’s Broadcast by azimibraun: 10:32pm On Oct 09, 2012
And what did he say abt d dead boys? Ws dia a 1 miunite silence for dem? Did he even knw boys frm his old skool wia butchered to death? And wt dd ankio briggs also say abt d killings? B4 I unleash insult on dem. I ddnt watch d programme.
Re: Ankio Briggs Condemns Jonathan’s Broadcast by Vogue50: 10:39pm On Oct 09, 2012
There is no harm for Government to make known to the public their intentions in mitigating the flood disaster , the exact funds being set aside to carry out the project , ministries and agencies responsible to expedite action .
Also have in mind that the fund raising committee comprises of people from the public and private sector , so it won't seem as if the government and it's public servants are collaborating to loot away our national funds. I believe the likes of Dangote and Adenuga.
Re: Ankio Briggs Condemns Jonathan’s Broadcast by CyberG: 10:45pm On Oct 09, 2012
Why was the retardee.n looking like a monster while reading the teleprompter?? grin grin I think it's better for him to return to reading from pieces of paper so he doesn't put up such a scary stare!! grin grin

1 Like

Re: Ankio Briggs Condemns Jonathan’s Broadcast by Dee60: 10:46pm On Oct 09, 2012

Hello. You cant be too sure. It is also possible that the man is not listening to any advice and has surrounded himself with a few warped minds. Meanwhile, the other advisers may be left with no other pre-occupation than chopping.
Re: Ankio Briggs Condemns Jonathan’s Broadcast by kawkab: 10:46pm On Oct 09, 2012
If the President did not address the nation people would come out and say he is not showing enough concern. Now he address the nation people are saying the speech is uncalled for.

The committee set up is to raise more fund and to also disburse the fund and further mitigate the effects of the flood.
Re: Ankio Briggs Condemns Jonathan’s Broadcast by tucker12(m): 11:06pm On Oct 09, 2012
I was practically upset when i watched the interview. Mrs Briggs was spot on and did not spare the pain of how the flood has ravaraged this regions and the pending doom. Look this flood issue is a national disaster that has erupted. and my fear is its about to move to stage two. After the flood comes the epidemic, Cholera outbreak!!!! angry angry angry and if not controls it will open the pandora's box of rage, anger and breakdown of what is left of Law and order. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Oh did you say Aluu are salvages well you all will be shocked with how people will react when it becomes clear no water to drink, No food, not even bread, no farm, nothing!!!

I like to call on churches to please come to the aid of people affected....
Re: Ankio Briggs Condemns Jonathan’s Broadcast by mymadam(m): 11:11pm On Oct 09, 2012
toyo C: He's definitely trying to divert our attention from something..only God know what.

I know... EVERYTHING! God bless Nigeria.
Re: Ankio Briggs Condemns Jonathan’s Broadcast by Ilekokonit: 11:21pm On Oct 09, 2012
toyo C
He's definitely trying to divert our attention from something..only God know what.

Sharp girl. Its obvious to a discerning mind that Jonathan's speech is a diversionary tactic to bury some bad news and/or deceive the masses whilst he and his cronies (including his apologist - Abati) keep looting us blind.
Re: Ankio Briggs Condemns Jonathan’s Broadcast by sesanrota(m): 1:41am On Oct 10, 2012
Mr President, before the technicalities of your releasing fund, i think those in Adamawa and Benue where the flood started has already helped themselves..........

(1) (2) (Reply)

Concerns as APC congresses yet to start in Edo, A-Ibom, Cross River, Rivers / Defend Nigeria With Your Lives, Osinbajo Tells Military / How Boko Haram Started – Gov Aliyu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.