Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,124 members, 7,821,850 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:08 PM

Indian Firm & Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Indian Firm & Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies (4637 Views)

Power Distribution Firms Reject Supply From Generating Plants / Fashola Becomes Minister For Power, Housing And Works: A New Dawn! / FG Rejects Lagos’ Offer For Power Distribution Companies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Indian Firm & Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies by BlackMamba2: 1:07pm On Oct 09, 2012
Power Sector: Indian Firms To Play Key Role

India’s power distribution firm, Tata Power Delhi Distribution Limited, is in two separate consortiums bidding for three power distribution firms in Nigeria with plans to invest $900m (N143.3bn) in the firms.

According to a report by the Economic Times of India, Tata has bid for three power distribution companies in Nigeria by forming two separate consortiums with two leading indigenous companies.

Tata is said to be bidding for the Eko and Ikeja Electricity Distribution companies as a member of the Oando consortium, and for the Benin Electricity Distribution Company as a member of the Vigeo Holding Limited consortium.

“Both the consortiums have qualified for all three DISCOs. The total investment required in the three firms has been estimated at $900m (Rs1,560 crore),” the report stated.

Our correspondent also gathered that apart from Tata, many other Indian firms were also part of consortiums bidding for power firms.

The financial bids for 10 out of the 11 power distribution firms will be opened publicly on October 16 by the Bureau of Public Enterprises and the National Council on Privatisation.

The NCP had on September 18, 2012 shortlisted 21 bidders for the 10 electricity distribution firms in the country.

The decision was taken at the council’s meeting presided over by Vice-President Namadi Sambo at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

A member of the NCP, Mr. Atedo Peterside, had told State House correspondents at the end of the meeting that the firms shortlisted would be invited to the financial bid opening scheduled for October 16, 2012 upon the submission of their individual post-qualification studies.

According to him, the firms shortlisted for the Ibadan Distribution Company include Western Consortium, Integrated Energy Distribution and Marketing Company and Kepco/NEDC Consortium.

For the Ikeja Distribution Company, the shortlisted firms are Oando Consortium, Amperion Power Distribution Company Limited, Honeywell Energy Resources International Limited, Integrated Energy Distribution and Marketing Limited, Vigeo Holdings, Gumco, African Corporation AFC &CESC, Kepco/NEDC Consortium, West Power and Gas as well Rockson Engineering Limited.

Peterside said Kann Consortium Utility Company Limited and Interstate Electrics Limited were shortlisted for the Abuja Distribution Company.

For the Enugu Distribution Company, Rensmart Power Limited, Proglobal Power International Consortium, Interstate Electrics Limited and Eastern Electric Nigeria Limited were shortlisted.

Only Aura Energy Limited was shortlisted for the Jos Distribution Company.

The Eko Distribution Company had Oando Consortium, Integrated Energy Distribution and Marketing Limited, Sepco-Pacific Energy Consortium, Honeywell Energy Resources International Limited, Kepco/NEDC Consortium and West Power and Gas shortlisted.

For the Port Harcourt Distribution Company, Power Consortium and Rockson Engineering Limited were shortlisted.

Only Integrated Energy Distribution and Marketing Company was shortlisted for the Yola Distribution Company; while only Sahelian Power SPV Limited was shortlisted for the Kano Distribution Company.

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/power-sector-indian-firms-to-play-key-role/

Re: Indian Firm & Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies by mrperfect(m): 2:40pm On Oct 09, 2012
This is a welcome development, we must get it right this time around. What we need constant power supply.
Goodluck is working.
Re: Indian Firm & Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies by Kslib(m): 2:40pm On Oct 09, 2012
Na una sabi.. All my own be say "make we dey get light steady"..Even if na 20hours a day,we go manage am like dat..

1 Like

Re: Indian Firm & Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies by yanni1(m): 2:43pm On Oct 09, 2012
Kslib: Na una sabi.. All my own be say "make we dey get light steady"..Even if na 20hours a day,we go manage am like dat..

abi?
Re: Indian Firm & Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies by solomto(f): 2:45pm On Oct 09, 2012
Indians na wao!
Re: Indian Firm & Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies by Nobody: 2:46pm On Oct 09, 2012
So how will this affect the price of qarri in the Nigerian or Indian market?

Ps: I did'nt say "garri" oh! I said "qarri"

GEJ for 2015

1 Like

Re: Indian Firm & Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies by SkyBlue1: 2:47pm On Oct 09, 2012
I would like to know the percentage ownership of Tata in the consortium. I would be VERY uneasy at the idea of a foreign company controlling something as sensitive as power. Indian for that matter, they still suffer from power outages and just some months ago there was a huge outage that plunged about half a billion people in India into darkness. What, there were no South African bidders to manage? Give us people who have sucessful experience of doing this please - with a majority Nigerian share hold.

3 Likes

Re: Indian Firm & Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies by Segunbills(m): 2:47pm On Oct 09, 2012
Sustainable development can be attained by constant electricity and good government policies, what ever it takes for we to attain this, I am in support.
Re: Indian Firm & Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies by Nobody: 2:51pm On Oct 09, 2012
solomto: Indians na wao!
chinko people no follow bid? Anyway that's their business! If they like make them give am to Barack Obama,I just want 24hrs uninterrupted power supply!
Re: Indian Firm & Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies by Odinaka00(m): 2:52pm On Oct 09, 2012
Who is †ђξ ALUU modafuker Ŧħåϯ banned ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ frm romance section? Wђɑ̤̥̈̊† did I say or do wrong? Who is †ђξ useless admin? Is he/she from aluu village?
I ve bin banned 4 d past 1 month, this is nt fair, seun pls change ur mods Ť☺ men cuz wat we have in dz site as mods re juz bunch of kidz
Re: Indian Firm & Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies by yanni1(m): 2:52pm On Oct 09, 2012
Sky Blue: I would like to know the percentage ownership of Tata in the consortium. I would be VERY uneasy at the idea of a foreign company controlling something as sensitive as power. Indian for that matter, they still suffer from power outages and just some months ago there was a huge outage that plunged about half a billion people in India into darkness. What, there were no South African bidders to manage? Give us people who have sucessful experience of doing this please - with a majority Nigerian share hold.

you gat point man!
Re: Indian Firm & Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies by Nobody: 2:56pm On Oct 09, 2012
Kslib: Na una sabi.. All my own be say "make we dey get light steady"..Even if na 20hours a day,we go manage am like dat..
+100 likes.

1 Like

Re: Indian Firm & Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies by Nobody: 2:59pm On Oct 09, 2012
Sky Blue: I would like to know the percentage ownership of Tata in the consortium. I would be VERY uneasy at the idea of a foreign company controlling something as sensitive as power. Indian for that matter, they still suffer from power outages and just some months ago there was a huge outage that plunged about half a billion people in India into darkness. What, there were no South African bidders to manage? Give us people who have sucessful experience of doing this please - with a majority Nigerian share hold.
yanni.:

you gat point man!
Typical Nigerians. If the title was "South African Firm and Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies" you will rain abuses on them citing MTN and DSTV.

3 Likes

Re: Indian Firm & Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies by SkyBlue1: 3:04pm On Oct 09, 2012
Zeddicus:
Typical Nigerians. If the title was "South African Firm and Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies" you will rain abuses on them citing MTN and DSTV.

Address the issues raised and leave the smart retorts to the professionals. South Africa has a better power record than India (easily). China has a better power management record than India (easily). It is about competency. Unless you can find any where I have complained about MTN who provide services that Nigerians in fact rely on, I suggest you just walk on. India suffers from the same problems Nigeria suffers from, corruption being a major issue. If we are going to be led to greater heights I would prefer we be led there by people actually at greater heights - with a majority Nigerian share hold.

4 Likes

Re: Indian Firm & Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies by Nobody: 3:06pm On Oct 09, 2012
Sky Blue:

Address the issues raised and leave the smart retorts to the professionals. South Africa has a better power record than India (easily). China has a better power management record than India (easily). It is about competency. Unless you can find any where I have complained about MTN who provide services that Nigerians in fact rely on, I suggest you just walk on. India suffers from the same problems Nigeria suffers from, corruption being a major issue. If we are going to be led to greater heights I would prefer we be led there by people at greater heights - with a major Nigerian share hold.
Fair enough. One like for you smiley
Re: Indian Firm & Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies by banom(m): 3:34pm On Oct 09, 2012
Indians dont know how to manage business. Who gives them our power to manage ? The aitel mobile telecommunication network they have and manage in Nigeria is a testament of their managerial incompetence. Any way, i know some folks will defend them by saying "atleast they far better than Nigerians" To that i say capital YES.
Re: Indian Firm & Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies by solomon111(m): 3:59pm On Oct 09, 2012
Where are the so-called 'Rich or well-to- do diasporeans'?
They won't invest now o.
Tommorrow they will start blaming the govt,and raining insults on Nigeria.
People just like talking the talk,but won't work the work.
Mscheww.!!
Re: Indian Firm & Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies by Novice1(m): 4:14pm On Oct 09, 2012
Indians ke.... India too is going thru power cuts
Re: Indian Firm & Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies by dasparrow: 4:27pm On Oct 09, 2012
solomon111: Where are the so-called 'Rich or well-to- do diasporeans'?
They won't invest now o.
Tommorrow they will start blaming the govt,and raining insults on Nigeria.
People just like talking the talk,but won't work the work.
Mscheww.!!

And how are you so sure that some diaspora Nigerians have not already started investing? or you think all diaspora Nigerians - especially the ones with money and wealth - are members of Nairaland? And you think those diaspora Nigerians who intend to invest in the power sector will come on Nairaland to announce it to you? Try to keep sentiments aside and reason. Diaspora Nigerians no send so direct your bitterness and frustration towards your thieving leaders who loot the public coffers dry and use the money to buy expensive properties around the world.

Sky Blue:

Address the issues raised and leave the smart retorts to the professionals. South Africa has a better power record than India (easily). China has a better power management record than India (easily). It is about competency. Unless you can find any where I have complained about MTN who provide services that Nigerians in fact rely on, I suggest you just walk on. India suffers from the same problems Nigeria suffers from, corruption being a major issue. If we are going to be led to greater heights I would prefer we be led there by people actually at greater heights - with a majority Nigerian share hold.

You have spoken well.
Re: Indian Firm & Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies by playboy19(m): 4:59pm On Oct 09, 2012
You know it's funny how Nigerians thinks. You are all here complaining about an Indian company "TaTa" bidding for our power distribution company while no one noticed the names of the local bidders being the same set of people indicted for Subsidy fraud. SMH

And FYI, Tata is a very credible conglomerate compare to all these your subsidy fraudsters. In case you dont know, Tata owns Tata car producing company, Jaguar Cars, and the almighty Land Rover, yes your Range Rover was produced by Tata, so how else do you want them to prove to be competent enough.

Aside from being subsidy fraudsters, you cannot attribute any good thing or products to any of our so called local bidders. My opinion though!
Re: Indian Firm & Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies by funkylarryjones(m): 6:38pm On Oct 09, 2012
Sky Blue:

But indians are better at handing out bribes (easily)!
Re: Indian Firm & Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies by Nobody: 6:41pm On Oct 09, 2012
I was expecting it to end up in the hands of Indians. Jeez! Indians of all failures! I can't imagine the way our leaders allow these fellows-in-poor development to take over important sector as electricity distribution!

I am indeed very angry!
Re: Indian Firm & Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies by SkyBlue1: 6:47pm On Oct 09, 2012
playboy19: You know it's funny how Nigerians thinks. You are all here complaining about an Indian company "TaTa" bidding for our power distribution company while no one noticed the names of the local bidders being the same set of people indicted for Subsidy fraud. SMH

And FYI, Tata is a very credible conglomerate compare to all these your subsidy fraudsters. In case you dont know, Tata owns Tata car producing company, Jaguar Cars, and the almighty Land Rover, yes your Range Rover was produced by Tata, so how else do you want them to prove to be competent enough.

Aside from being subsidy fraudsters, you cannot attribute any good thing or products to any of our so called local bidders. My opinion though!

And how experienced is TATA in power? You mention that TATA own Jaguar but don't mention that they own it because they BOUGHT IT. They did not set up that business or the intellectual properties that went into creating that brand, so don't mix things up. Don't get me wrong TATA is not a bad company, but I was more relieved to see Honeywell in that list.

And yes the local bidders might be questionable, but that does not make this alternative the ideal by default. There are MANY good companies in the world that have experience with power. The countries we could look to are ENDLESS, so why India that struggles with its own power issues? Why not even South Africa?
Re: Indian Firm & Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies by 360command: 6:59pm On Oct 09, 2012
I am not happy knowing that Indians are bidding for power distribution.I hope they do not take the bid cause this Indians cannot distribute power to their own citys and regions back in India effectively & effeciently. Even our Ghanian brothers can do this better than the Indians.
Re: Indian Firm & Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies by Chuksgeo: 7:23pm On Oct 09, 2012
Hmm, Indians are as currupt like South Africans, we really dont need them in our economy, We nigerians are good when it comes to managing our own private multimillion dollar investments.
Re: Indian Firm & Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies by playboy19(m): 8:47pm On Oct 09, 2012
Sky Blue:

And how experienced is TATA in power? You mention that TATA own Jaguar but don't mention that they own it because they BOUGHT IT. They did not set up that business or the intellectual properties that went into creating that brand, so don't mix things up. Don't get me wrong TATA is not a bad company, but I was more relieved to see Honeywell in that list.

And yes the local bidders might be questionable, but that does not make this alternative the ideal by default. There are MANY good companies in the world that have experience with power. The countries we could look to are ENDLESS, so why India that struggles with its own power issues? Why not even South Africa?

Your question above is a right one? But you are the one getting the whole thing wrongly now. If you read the report very well, you'd see that Tata is coming in as an "investor" bidding for the License through 2 Nigerian companies, get it? So their experience in Power is not quite important now but in term of business credibility, they are on point. And what does that mean to an ordinary Nigerian on the street, it means you can be sure that they are gonna run the company very well and not go out of business because of funds misappropriation or fraud which, if happen, will send all the area covered back to square one -Black out. That was why i made this state "And FYI, Tata is a very credible conglomerate". I didn't comment about their experience in Power Industry.

Let me quickly add that i do not like Indians' work ethics in any way and i'm not sorry to say this, but hey... this is business and power industry for that matter (alotta businesses depends on this) whoever is capable should be handed the License, i dont care if the company is owned by a Nigerians or a Sierra lonian. Just do things right thing but like you rightly said, mere looking at the names on the list, majority of them are questionable. Not to mention that if we give the License to most of this fraudsters, it'd just be business as usall like they presently doing with the Subsidy sh!t but we'd be able to muscle a foreign company if given the license (unless our government don't want to).
Re: Indian Firm & Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies by tunjidj3: 11:47pm On Oct 09, 2012
Why can't we get it right at this crusia time indian of all people pls let us reject their bloody money of which they we use To enslave nigeria They don't know how to manage staff all their mind is to bribe some nigeria dignitories for them to have their way eg look at multilink pls let us look for advance country like germany who can better manage staff and equipment
Re: Indian Firm & Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies by baysol: 8:54am On Oct 10, 2012
berem: chinko people no follow bid? Anyway that's their business! If they like make them give am to Barack Obama,I just want 24hrs uninterrupted power supply!

In your dreams. If the tally goes to the indians what happened in Ajaokuta and delta steel will be a childs play. The political class in Nigeria are classless and wicked. The only set of demonic people that will throw away national interest for sake of money in connivance with foreigners that have no interest of Nigerians at heart. All the childish game of Nigerian politics and lack of check and challenge from the ordinary citizen through protests and outright arrest of antipeople projects and programmes will only one day blowup on everyones face in Nigeria. The world wide muckery and shame we are all smeared on behalf of the shameless clueless politicians has to stop forth with, as we can now see that everyone of us and generation down the line(at home and in diaspora)are threatened with extinction because of the actions or inactions of few corrupt elements among the ruling class(less). Remember that it is said that silence means consent. Which side would you rather be?
Re: Indian Firm & Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies by banom(m): 10:25pm On Oct 11, 2012
Please i equally want to submit my own bid. i am also very much experience about power. After all, i put on and off my generator every day for over a decade now. abi that one no be power ?
Re: Indian Firm & Others Bid For Power Distribution Companies by supaeagles(m): 8:14pm On Jun 10, 2013
Sky Blue:

I think you may be mixing up some issues : Tata is a private company and not an Indian government representative. It is true that the Indian government has issues of corruption and many cites in India do not have reliable power but I think those issues have to do with their goverment than TATA. The Tata group is worldwide and has massive investments and various diverse operations all over the world. Tata powers the commercial capital city of Mumbai and those sections in mumbai has reliable power supply pretty much all the year round.
You are correct that such a huge infrastructure project needs to be asequately monitored because of the sensitive nature but we have successfully seen this in our mobile telecommunications sector privatised without any problems. I don't think enforcing nationalization of such a sector is necessary as long as we do the necessary and effective regulations.
Tata power company : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tata_Power

(1) (Reply)

Photos: Lagos State Fire Service Men Vs Ekiti Fire Service Men / Why Do Niger Delta States Not Look Like Johanessburg With Highest Allocations / Aisha Yesufu Seems To Be Regretting Attacking Nnamdi Kanu - See Her Twits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.