Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,540 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:03 AM

What Is The Current State Of Yoruba (and Other Nigerian Languages In General)? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Current State Of Yoruba (and Other Nigerian Languages In General)? (1260 Views)

Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. / Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Current State Of Yoruba (and Other Nigerian Languages In General)? by StarFlux: 1:10pm On Oct 09, 2012
I was watching a video of Titilayo speaking about learning Yoruba. She mentions that a lot of Yoruba people (especially youths) use a mix of two languages. She mentioned basic terms such as fèrèsé - window, which people now don't even know what means, and will use "window" instead. I was immediately saddened by this. How can people not understand the value of their mother tongue? There even is a child in the video that does not want to speak Yoruba. Right now I am struggling to learn myself a Nigerian language because my parents never did.
It saddens me that I might never be able to speak like a native speaker, but I will do everything to achieve that goal. When I hear about people who cannot speak their mother tongue sufficiently, without mixing in English words, it both angers and saddens me. I understand that much of this is the governments fault, for not promoting or making it possible to completel studies more easily in these languages. However, both children and parents must have a mind for themselves, no?

This raised a couple of questions in my mind:

- When you lose your mother tongue, what are you? A speaker of a language that does not compliment who you are?

- How can people be so ignorant? Especially parents.

- Why is it so that the elite thinks English is a better language, and people foolishly follow?

- What is a nation without its language(s)?

I would appreciate answers to these questions, and perhaps some insight from people whose parents didn't teach them their mother tongue or/and are experiencing the pressure from English.

Soruces:

About Yorùbá and its dying words: http://www.njas.helsinki.fi/pdf-files/vol14num3/fabunmi.pdf

Titilayo (she has more than one video, very interesting to see here level of speech):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hTZ_mS7TsI

1 Like

Re: What Is The Current State Of Yoruba (and Other Nigerian Languages In General)? by ghostofsparta(m): 7:31pm On Nov 14, 2013
^ there are lots of factors causing it. But mostly is after effect of colonialism and our continuous denigration of anything relating to our indigenous religion ancestral believe system.
Re: What Is The Current State Of Yoruba (and Other Nigerian Languages In General)? by macof(m): 9:41pm On Nov 14, 2013
ghostofsparta: ^ there are lots of factors causing it. But mostly is after effect of colonialism and our continuous denigration of anything relating to our indigenous religion ancestral believe system.

Yes anything just to discard and disregard the ancestral spirituality
Re: What Is The Current State Of Yoruba (and Other Nigerian Languages In General)? by ghostofsparta(m): 5:48pm On Nov 15, 2013
macof:

Yes anything just to discard and disregard the ancestral spirituality

It's our people who are responding to colonial programmed instruction using a micro-pocessor (mentality) made for slaves.

What do you think about those Americanos at UI studying Yoruba language. Do you think their motive is a genuine one or something else is behind it as many have speculated, conspiracy. Let me know what your thought.
Re: What Is The Current State Of Yoruba (and Other Nigerian Languages In General)? by macof(m): 10:08am On Nov 16, 2013
ghostofsparta:

It's our people who are responding to colonial programmed instruction using a micro-pocessor (mentality) made for slaves.

What do you think about those Americanos at UI studying Yoruba language. Do you think their motive is a genuine one or something else is behind it as many have speculated, conspiracy. Let me know what your thought.

I think people learning languages is a good thing. we Yoruba are very open to outsiders, having them come to learn the Yoruba spirituality and language can even encourage our own people to find interest.

I don't always think Americans conspire, it's the British people here that I doubt
Re: What Is The Current State Of Yoruba (and Other Nigerian Languages In General)? by Roda94(f): 3:27pm On Nov 16, 2013
Well here in London there seems to be more of an interest for Yoruba teenagers wanting to speak Yoruba well. I'd say in the next few years those that speak fluently will increase significantly. The question should be is the quality of the language depleting? As Titilayo rightly said, few of us know what window is in Yoruba. We have become so used to peppering Yoruba with traces of English thus in the process forgetting what some words are in Yoruba. I am optimistic however that the only way on is up and there will be many people who become more fluent and hopefully in the process the quality of the language becomes better. As for extinction? Yoruba could never be distinct cool

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Current State Of Yoruba (and Other Nigerian Languages In General)? by ghostofsparta(m): 10:22pm On Nov 16, 2013
Roda94: Well here in London there seems to be more of an interest for Yoruba teenagers wanting to speak Yoruba well. I'd say in the next few years those that speak fluently will increase significantly. The question should be is the quality of the language depleting? As Titilayo rightly said, few of us know what window is in Yoruba. We have become so used to peppering Yoruba with traces of English thus in the process forgetting what some words are in Yoruba. I am optimistic however that the only way on is up and there will be many people who become more fluent and hopefully in the process the quality of the language becomes better. As for extinction? Yoruba could never be distinct cool

https://www.nairaland.com/1520264/yoruba-language-slowly-nears-extinction
Re: What Is The Current State Of Yoruba (and Other Nigerian Languages In General)? by Fulaman198(m): 7:51am On Nov 20, 2013
One thing I'm proud of the Hausa people for is their tenacity. I'm Fulani (Pullo) and Hausa is spoken even by a lot of non-Hausa groups like mine as a second language. Hausa people don't have much interest in English (Northerners in general could care less about English even though we can speak and write it). We are far too proud of our traditional cultures to give it up for a foreign language like English. Some cultures need to stop the inferiority complex that thinking being westernised is the way to go.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Current State Of Yoruba (and Other Nigerian Languages In General)? by macof(m): 1:43pm On Nov 20, 2013
Fulaman198: One thing I'm proud of the Hausa people for is their tenacity. I'm Fulani (Pullo) and Hausa is spoken even by a lot of non-Hausa groups like mine as a second language. Hausa people don't have much interest in English (Northerners in general could care less about English even though we can speak and write it). We are far too proud of our traditional cultures to give it up for a foreign language like English. Some cultures need to stop the inferiority complex that thinking being westernised is the way to go.

The love for language and culture in the North is the only reason why u guys have not be arabized.

Thank God for that

1 Like

Re: What Is The Current State Of Yoruba (and Other Nigerian Languages In General)? by Fulaman198(m): 4:33pm On Nov 20, 2013
macof:

The love for language and culture in the North is the only reason why u guys have not be arabized.

Thank God for that

That's partially true brother, but look at other African countries with a large Islamic population like Senegal and Mali. Those countries are also very African.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Current State Of Yoruba (and Other Nigerian Languages In General)? by macof(m): 6:50pm On Nov 20, 2013
it's a real pity that the North Africans have lost their identity

1 Like

Re: What Is The Current State Of Yoruba (and Other Nigerian Languages In General)? by macof(m): 6:51pm On Nov 20, 2013
Fulaman198:

That's partially true brother, but look at other African countries with a large Islamic population like Senegal and Mali. Those countries are also very African.

It's a west African thing I guess.

Development is all we need in west Africa and Africa as a whole

And the first step is pride in identity and mental independence.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Current State Of Yoruba (and Other Nigerian Languages In General)? by Fulaman198(m): 8:58pm On Nov 20, 2013
macof: it's a real pity that the North Africans have lost their identity

They were the most Arabized. Arabs pretty much took over North Africa.
Re: What Is The Current State Of Yoruba (and Other Nigerian Languages In General)? by Fulaman198(m): 8:58pm On Nov 20, 2013
macof:

It's a west African thing I guess.

Development is all we need in west Africa and Africa as a whole

And the first step is pride in identity and mental independence.

100% agree with you
Re: What Is The Current State Of Yoruba (and Other Nigerian Languages In General)? by StarFlux: 10:48pm On Nov 20, 2013
Fulaman198: One thing I'm proud of the Hausa people for is their tenacity. I'm Fulani (Pullo) and Hausa is spoken even by a lot of non-Hausa groups like mine as a second language. Hausa people don't have much interest in English (Northerners in general could care less about English even though we can speak and write it). We are far too proud of our traditional cultures to give it up for a foreign language like English. Some cultures need to stop the inferiority complex that thinking being westernised is the way to go.
Very true!

(1) (Reply)

Ogbuzulu! Ogbuzulu. / Ancestral (enikaro) Worship In Benin Kingdom / Celebrating Halloween In African Devalue Our Culture And Religion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.