Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,106 members, 7,818,303 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:16 PM

A Thread For Toyota Camry Big Daddy Users - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / A Thread For Toyota Camry Big Daddy Users (24538 Views)

Engine Oil For Toyota Camry Big-Daddy (2003 XLE) / Honda End Of Discussion Vs Camry Big For Nothing ; Which Is Better / Big Daddy Camry (2003 - 2006): Why Don't People Like It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Toyota Camry Big Daddy Users by compunigeria: 10:54pm On Jul 23, 2013
ABEG which engine oil do you recommend that is available, pocket friendly and engine friendly. i know the manual recommends SAE 5W- 30. but i am new, please share your experience. secondly any trusted place to scan and fix CEL problem in kaduna, mine started showing it after a friend changed the ATF and used the fuel below 1/4. specs camry 2004. thanks
Re: A Thread For Toyota Camry Big Daddy Users by Blizzle(m): 12:13pm On Jul 24, 2013
compunigeria: ABEG which engine oil do you recommend that is available, pocket friendly and engine friendly. i know the manual recommends SAE 5W- 30. but i am new, please share your experience. secondly any trusted place to scan and fix CEL problem in kaduna, mine started showing it after a friend changed the ATF and used the fuel below 1/4. specs camry 2004. thanks

I also drive a 2003 Toyota Camry which I have racked up 189,000 miles on since buying it, tokunbo two and a half years ago. I always service with MOBIL XHP 20W-50 SAE. You wont readily get the 5W-30 SAE Oil in Nigeria so Either MOBIL XHP 20W-50 or TOTAL 5000 (20W-50 SAE) will work fine. I had been using the MOBIL oil and just decided to try TOTAL last service and it works fine since they have the same viscosity and I have never had a problem with my engine. MOBIL XHP is N3000 while TOTAL 5000 is N2,700. Remember to change your oil and oil filter every 3000miles and its best to take ur vehicle to the filing stations service center as you are guaranteed original oil and cheap service.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Toyota Camry Big Daddy Users by 9icetoo(m): 1:30pm On Jul 24, 2013
compunigeria: ABEG which engine oil do you recommend that is available, pocket friendly and engine friendly. i know the manual recommends SAE 5W- 30. but i am new, please share your experience. secondly any trusted place to scan and fix CEL problem in kaduna, mine started showing it after a friend changed the ATF and used the fuel below 1/4. specs camry 2004. thanks
I hope u did not put dexron 111, total atf or abro in ur transmission. If u did, drain it asap and look for where to buy type T IV transmission fluid or u watch that gear box die a slow death. Total quartz 9000 will be okay for ur camry. Its the closest to 5w 30. quartz 9000 is 5w 40. mobil is is okay as well. make sure u buy them from the filling stations and not road side. I use lexus 5w 40 on my camry. total quartz 9000 is 8000 naira. It might sound expensive but since it is synthetic, u can use it for 7500 miles or more before changing. it might sound expensive but if u factor in labour cost and cost of filter for changing oil every 3,000 miles, u will see it is worth it.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Toyota Camry Big Daddy Users by compunigeria: 7:49pm On Jul 24, 2013
9icetoo:
I hope u did not put dexron 111, total atf or abro in ur transmission. If u did, drain it asap and look for where to buy type T IV transmission fluid or u watch that gear box die a slow death. Total quartz 9000 will be okay for ur camry. Its the closest to 5w 30. quartz 9000 is 5w 40. mobil is is okay as well. make sure u buy them from the filling stations and not road side. I use lexus 5w 40 on my camry. total quartz 9000 is 8000 naira. It might sound expensive but since it is synthetic, u can use it for 7500 miles or more before changing. it might sound expensive but if u factor in labour cost and cost of filter for changing oil every 3,000 miles, u will see it is worth it.
Blizzle:

I also drive a 2003 Toyota Camry which I have racked up 189,000 miles on since buying it, tokunbo two and a half years ago. I always service with MOBIL XHP 20W-50 SAE. You wont readily get the 5W-30 SAE Oil in Nigeria so Either MOBIL XHP 20W-50 or TOTAL 5000 (20W-50 SAE) will work fine. I had been using the MOBIL oil and just decided to try TOTAL last service and it works fine since they have the same viscosity and I have never had a problem with my engine. MOBIL XHP is N3000 while TOTAL 5000 is N2,700. Remember to change your oil and oil filter every 3000miles and its best to take ur vehicle to the filing stations service center as you are guaranteed original oil and cheap service.

Thanks i am very grateful,i am presently using mobil xhp.
you were right the ATF (i just checked the container now ) is dexrton 111. i will look for the atf 1v this weekend. could it have caused the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT? and is the damage reversible or what do you advice thanks.
Re: A Thread For Toyota Camry Big Daddy Users by Nobody: 11:27pm On Jul 24, 2013
Nice thread, I use the AP visco 2000 5w 30 I guess. I intend to find the closer viscosity to manufactuers stipulated. during my next servicing. I'm having a problem with rev always dropping making the car vibrate sometimes. Aside that the car is perfect even thought I have done 10k miles in 6months. Rugged as ever.. Also please how much is the T IV gear oil
Re: A Thread For Toyota Camry Big Daddy Users by 9icetoo(m): 12:45pm On Jul 25, 2013
The T IV transmission oil is 8k in ph. i don't know where you stay but it should be available in lag as well. Scan ur ar and see what codes it will give you. There are nairaland members here who can do it freely for you. Get in touch with them and post the codes. The gurus here will help you get ur car back in top condition. The damage to your trans may not be much now but it will obviously get worse if u continue to drive with that dextron 111 in it. Do the drain and refill as soon as you can.
Re: A Thread For Toyota Camry Big Daddy Users by compunigeria: 8:35am On Jul 26, 2013
9icetoo: The T IV transmission oil is 8k in ph. i don't know where you stay but it should be available in lag as well. Scan ur ar and see what codes it will give you. There are nairaland members here who can do it freely for you. Get in touch with them and post the codes. The gurus here will help you get ur car back in top condition. The damage to your trans may not be much now but it will obviously get worse if u continue to drive with that dextron 111 in it. Do the drain and refill as soon as you can.
thanks, will check the atf tommorrow. i am still trying to get my hands on a scanner in my area(zaria)i might just have to buy one.. will get back as soon as i make progress.
Re: A Thread For Toyota Camry Big Daddy Users by compunigeria: 10:23am On Aug 08, 2013
As anticipated many car parts sellers in zaria has never even heared of toyota ATF 1v talkless of knowing where i can get it. please any body in the house know s how i can get it?
Re: A Thread For Toyota Camry Big Daddy Users by 6ft: 9:38am On Oct 06, 2014
ATTN ALL #TOYOTA CAR GURUS
***URGENT HELP NEEDED***

camry 2004 -xle
i4 2.4
big daddy

I got this wonder on wheels some 6mths ago its a beauty to behold and pleasure to drive..however d engine doesn't seem to hold oil for long especially after journeys! I do a 450-500k return trip every other week and after every such trip my engine oil fall short!
Before now I have tried different oil brands (20w50) they all fell short after the trip recently I got the recommended oil (5w30) milemaster from konga and hit the road. Lo and behold a check on the dipstick the next morn was a nightmare. it had fallen short too !

p.s there are no oil leaks beneath the engine and tail pipe doesn't smoke and check engine light is not on.
Re: A Thread For Toyota Camry Big Daddy Users by 9icetoo(m): 3:51pm On Oct 06, 2014
6ft, have someone else drive the car while u tail the car. Ask the person to accelerate briskly and drive around quite a bit. If u don't notice any blue smoke, them take ur car to a pit and look under for signs of oil leak. If no noticeable leaks, then please check ur pcv valve. Make sure its not blocked. U can purchase another one and change out. If the oil shortage continues, then u must have some internal issues. However please note that it is normal according to Toyota for some engines to need a quart (about 1 litre) after 1000 miles. So check ur oil consumption. If it is within this spec, then u don't have a problem. Please also realise that from the low mark to the full mark on ur dipstick is 1 litre.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Toyota Camry Big Daddy Users by Nobody: 1:06am On Oct 07, 2014
Check your gasket and pray you don't have to ring the engine.
Re: A Thread For Toyota Camry Big Daddy Users by victor4u(m): 11:52am On Oct 29, 2014
Hello House, my 2002 big daddy is giving me gear problem, anytime I leave d car for sometime and it's cold, the 'd', 2 or L doesn't pick until after like 5min; only Reverse that moves, the drive doesn't pick on time.....i have serviced the gear but still giving me d same problem.
Re: A Thread For Toyota Camry Big Daddy Users by KingMoney(m): 1:17am On Jan 31, 2015
Hello house Pls my toyota camry 2005 I4 makes a disturbing noise wen Eva I put on d A/c and also d exhaust vibrates the car wen i press the throttle.Pls help
Re: A Thread For Toyota Camry Big Daddy Users by kkon(m): 10:14am On Feb 01, 2015
9icetoo:

what make of fuel injector cleaner do you use? At OP, i have a similar problem with my 2002 big daddy. Recently i changed my plugs to the recommeneded plugs (Denso iridium SK20R11 or NGK IFR6A11). I could only get tokunbo plugs though but will be ordering for new ones soon. My check engine light is on as well and intend to scan the car and know what else to fix. there has been a slight improvement in the fuel economy since i switched to the recommended plugs. I will furnish you with more details about any other improvements in due time.
how much did you get the plug?
Re: A Thread For Toyota Camry Big Daddy Users by tunergy(m): 2:33pm On Aug 21, 2015
Hello, This thread should be buzzling considering the number of this car models on our Roads, users and owners pls post and share advises and tips here.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Toyota Camry Big Daddy Users by ayokenny37(m): 10:17am On Aug 26, 2015
Please my gear takes time to change from 3 to 4 (auto) i use 2002 model. this makes the car to give noise

please any experience?
Re: A Thread For Toyota Camry Big Daddy Users by Blizzle(m): 10:56am On Aug 27, 2015
ayokenny37:
Please my gear takes time to change from 3 to 4 (auto) i use 2002 model. this makes the car to give noise

please any experience?

Looks like you need to service your gear.

Try checking the gear oil (you will see a red dip stick under the bonnet) take it out and check that the oil guage to ensure it guages and also make sure it's reddish color and not dark brown.

If the oil is low or dark brownish, u will need to change the oil and get a mechanic to wash the oil filter.
Re: A Thread For Toyota Camry Big Daddy Users by DGD1(m): 3:21pm On Aug 28, 2015
Saw this car today, don't know what this fellow was thinking.
All that I could think was suicide

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Toyota Camry Big Daddy Users by tunergy(m): 1:49pm On Aug 29, 2015
DGD1:
Saw this car today, don't know what this fellow was thinking.
All that I could think was suicide

Maybe He is a short man that wants to feel elevated.

But really a lot of people drive on our roads without considering their own safety talk less of safety of others.

#Gbemiga

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Toyota Camry Big Daddy Users by iguita: 10:07pm On Jan 27, 2016
I need to replace my 2004 Camry engine. VVT-i V6 24V Any advise? Anything to watch out for? Where can I get it? Will it work well with the car? How much can I get the engine (Fixing inclusive)
Re: A Thread For Toyota Camry Big Daddy Users by kingreign(m): 9:28am On Jan 28, 2016
iguita:
I need to replace my 2004 Camry engine. VVT-i V6 24V Any advise? Anything to watch out for? Where can I get it? Will it work well with the car? How much can I get the engine (Fixing inclusive)

Where is your location?
Re: A Thread For Toyota Camry Big Daddy Users by iguita: 6:59pm On Jan 29, 2016
Iyana Ipaja
kingreign:

Where is your location?
Re: A Thread For Toyota Camry Big Daddy Users by Edunwa302(m): 7:44pm On Jan 29, 2016
myke20:
Hello. Pls I need big daddy users to comment or anybody. I only get 240 miles from a full tank of gas. Dat is small o abi. D car guzzles fuel and I've noticed it sef grin
This is what actual put me off from the car as I was about getting one , I drove my boss 2.4 full option from Enugu to Benin with full thank but I have to manage the car back to Enugu same day with empty thank and but while using the car inside town it seems to consume just normal.
My 01 2.2 camry will do same distance and back to Enugu with half tank
Re: A Thread For Toyota Camry Big Daddy Users by kingreign(m): 6:50am On Jan 30, 2016
Edunwa302:

This is what actual put me off from the car as I was about getting one , I drove my boss 2.4 full option from Enugu to Benin with full thank but I have to manage the car back to Enugu same day with empty thank and but while using the car inside town it seems to consume just normal.
My 01 2.2 camry will do same distance and back to Enugu with half tank

A lot of factors can contribute to poor fuel economy of any car.
1. If you use wrong grade of oil (using evostic gum instead of engine oil)
2. A/F and O2 sensor malfunctions.
3. Catalytic converter problem (blocked cats)
4. Wrongly inflated tyres, wrong tyre size and specs, tyres out of alignment
5. Blocked and/or dirty air intake cleaner, bad MAF, misfires, bad fuel system, etc
6. Bad suspensions/raising the height of your car excessively.
7. Overloaded vehicle
9. Engine that's been worked upon and wasn't properly fixed especially VVT-i area (wrong timing work)

List is plenty.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Toyota Camry Big Daddy Users by ise82(m): 6:37pm On Jan 30, 2016
What transmission oil should I buy for my Toyota Camry big daddy??

(1) (2) (Reply)

Masters Tricycle Assembled In Abia State (Photo) / Order/purchase Ur Tokunbo Engine And Gearboxes / I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.