Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,165 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:59 AM

Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas (12710 Views)

BREAKING: Heavy Gun Fire As Hausa Okadas Engage Lagos Police / 300 Taxis To Replace 'Okadas' In Bayelsa State / FG Denies Banning Okadas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by naptu2: 2:30pm On Oct 12, 2012
texazzpete:

It will take intense stupidity for Okadas to be banned in Lagos.
The sheer population density...the roads cannot take the tens of thousands of vehicles that will come on the roads to cater to the 'okada' traffic.

Fashola's second term and he's yet to make water and rail transport viable enough to significantly reduce the pressure on Lagos roads...they'll take it out on the poor man as they always do.

I think this, ultimately, is the solution. Lagos State Government needs to complete the 7 rail lines that LAMATA has proposed and expand the BRT network.
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by dabossman(m): 4:40pm On Oct 12, 2012
mekaboy: IF WE ARE TO GO WITH YOUR EXAMPLE, NIGERIANS SHOULD NOT HAVE PROTESTED THE FUEL SUBSIDY REMOVAL. BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT THEIR BOSS THE GOVT COMMANDED.

NO NEED TO.PROTEST THE STUDENTS KILLED IN ALU, THE LAW IN ALU STATES THAT ANYONE CAUGHT AS A THEIF SHOULD BE KILLED. YOU EITHER OBEY THE LAW OR LEAVE THE LAND.

THE STUDENTS VIOLATED THE LAW AND PAID THE PRICE WHY COMPLAIN.

IF GOVT SAYS THAT PRIVATE CARS SHOULD HAVE 36 PLATE NUMBERS FOR 36 STATES. YOU HAVE TO OBEY YOUR BOSS IN THE OFFICE?

[b][/b]

I'm sorry but you don't have a point and your analogies are not relevant.

The reason those Uniport students are dead is because laws are not being obeyed. If the Police had been doing their job of enforcing the existing laws, the people of Aluu wouldn't have resulted to jungle justice but would have simply handed them to the relevant authorities. Laws must be enforced otherwise people will do as they wish. Should we wait until an Okada man runs a redlight and kills someone and an angry mob begin to attack every okada man in sight before we regulate their activities?

Even the Lagos traffic law can be contested if you feel you've been wronged. Why didn't those bike men wait and legally make their point? Don't they have a Union that can fight for them?

Where the protests against fuel subsidy removal unlawful? Did we break any laws by going on strike or going on lawful protests? Even a person sentenced to death for murder can appeal.

Would you allow a doctor who has been criminally negligent to keep his license because you don't want to take away his livelihood? Would you do the same for a policeman who is caught committing a crime? Or doesn't he have a family to feed too? I'm sure if they dismissed all the policemen who were on duty on that fateful day in Aluu, and who did nothing to save those boys, you would applaud. Guess what? They can turn to armed robbery too.

Let's put sentiments aside. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by jimmayoy: 3:25pm On Oct 21, 2012
We pretend to be what we are not,okada riders are just like every other Nigerian,we all drive on LAGOS roads and we see how people break the law with ease.Those that are happy that another mans means of livelihood is being taken away should put themselves in the okadamans shoes.lets be our brothers keeper and call evil evil,over 80% of nigerians preffers those around them to suffer while they alone prospers so that they can be worshipped but that is never the will of GOD,too much wickedness in nigeria,are we better than indonasia,china and malaysia?the main cause of holdup in lagos is bad roads,they should leave the okada people alone,anyone that commits offence should pay penalty not grinding of his okada.
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by jimmayoy: 3:49pm On Oct 21, 2012
I appreciate your post but i think you missed a little,those okadas that where taking away from the carwash and mechanic workshops,what offence did they commit?everyday while driving i always quarrel with one okadaman or the other but that is not enough reason for me to support evil,crushing okada over traffic offence,its too harsh a penalty to pay.over 80% of workers are living far above their means,corruption and traffic offence which one should carry a stiffer penalty?bad raods are the major cause of holdups on lagos roads so those people that are eating the money that is meant for road maintainance what should be their penalty?
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by sucess001(m): 9:50am On Oct 22, 2012
just like i predicted, what the Lagos Stae Govt failed o understand is dt d impact of the law would be more than it imagined...was in slere over the weekend and there was no single okada...on enquiry i was told dt d policemen werearresting even okada men that had helmets and were legally covered by the law...so the okada men felt the law was that they shudnt operate @ all...we were close to hundred @ the bstop...i couldnt drive cos i couldnt get fuel...

in one word...this is senseless!
Re: Lagos Destroys 3,000 Seized Okadas by Thomsbuky(m): 2:38pm On Nov 06, 2013
Its difficult issue, don't know whether to sit on the fence or call spade a spade on this topic. I am strictly believer of people obeying and complying with states bye laws. Raji, I love your good governance and quality leadership.... As elderly citizen of Lagos state (Ologun Kutere) destroying those bikes, is bridge too far apart. We all know these Okadas breaches state traffic laws and road nuisance. However should you not have consider heavy fines, that will deter these people from re offending? I am sure these Okadas pay yearly renewal road tax?, have basic right to use these road like cars? I will like you to reconsider rather than destroying these bikes, charge first time offender heavy fines and let them go. While those who continue re-offending caught two or three times, have their bikes confiscated and destroy because they refused to comply with the state law.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Understanding The Oil Theft Business In Nigeria (All About Stolen Crude) / FG Owes 70,000 Workers Three-month Salaries / Stop Blaming Fulani Herdsmen For Every Attack, Sultan Tells Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.