Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,474 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:47 PM

Tambuwal Speech At 2013 Budget Presentation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tambuwal Speech At 2013 Budget Presentation (5615 Views)

Essien Ayi Sleeps During 2016 Budget Presentation - See Photo / 2016 Budget Presentation By Buhari At Joint Session 8th Assembly / Fashola's Speech At 2013 Thanksgiving (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tambuwal Speech At 2013 Budget Presentation by rahman137(m): 3:33pm On Oct 10, 2012
VOTE OF THANKS BY RT. HON. AMINU WAZIRI TAMBUWAL CFR, SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA, AT THE JOINT SESSION OF THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY TO RECEIVE THE 2013 APPROPRIATION BILL AS PRESENTED BY HIS EXCELLENCY, PRESIDENT GOODLUCK EBELE JONATHAN GCFR, PRESIDENT AND C-IN-C OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA, ON WEDNESDAY, 10TH OCTOBER, 2012.

Protocol:
On behalf of the National Assembly of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, I wish to most sincerely thank you Mr. President Sir for making time to come to this hallowed Chambers and formally undertaking this very important constitutional responsibility of the laying of the year 2013 budget estimates.

2. The House of Representatives Legislative Agenda prescribes under its National Economic and Budgetary provisions that “the draft budget should be submitted AT LEAST three months prior to the start of a fiscal year” and already there is a Bill before the House for the amendment of Section 82 of the Constitution to conform with this. In this regard the laying of the 2013 budget estimates by Mr. President to this Joint Sitting today, reasonably meets these expectations.

3. I would have been done with my vote of thanks at this point except that the mention of certain salient points of critical importance to our collective resolve for good governance, is compelling. Mr. President Sir, given that the 469 elected members of the National Assembly have closer interaction with the nooks and crannies of the nation we are privileged to feel the peoples pulse more intensely and we feel same on behalf and for the benefit and guidance of all the arms of government. Surely Mr. President and his Vice, being the elected officials on the other side cannot be expected to be in 109 Senatorial Districts worse still 360 Federal Constituencies. Therefore when we feel this pulse we are duty bound to communicate to you.

4. As I speak, interim field oversight reports from House Committees on the 2012 budget implementation are clearly unimpressive both in terms of releases as well as utilization and this is a great challenge to all of us. It is important to state at this point the clear provisions of Section 8 of the Appropriation Act to the effect that approved budgeted funds shall be released to MDAs “as at when due”. This is sadly observed more in breach.

5. The Composition of the Public Procurement Council provided under the Public Procurement Act is very critical to budget implementation. The sanctity of extant legislations and respect for the rule of law are critical hallmarks of true democracy, we therefore once more call on Mr. President to expeditiously constitute this council so as to free the Federal Executive Council from the burden of contract administration, so they can concentrate on the more sublime issues of their constitutional roles and responsibilities. Incidentally, the present Constitution of the Bureau of Public Procurement has been identified as one of the bottlenecks to effective capital budget implementation.

6. It will be recalled that the 2012 budget contained a deficit and the main source of funding this deficit was domestic borrowing. Figures emanating from the Debt Management Office regarding domestic borrowing are however worrisome. At a whopping 33.6 Billion US Dollars government appears to be monopolizing domestic borrowing to the unhealthy exclusion of the private sector. This is certainly a matter of grave concern because global statistics on sustainable debt-GDP ratio percentages cannot continue to be used as guide for an economy that is not keeping pace with global trends.

7. In our effort to address this concern, only yesterday, in passing the 2013-2015 Medium Term Expenditure Framework (MTEF), which is the basis for annual Budgets, the House resolved to raise the oil price benchmark from 75 US Dollars per barrel to 80 US Dollars per barrel with the objective that the difference of 5 US Dollars per barrel be channeled exclusively towards reducing the deficit in the budget and consequently reducing domestic borrowing for same purpose by 66%. This will make available these loanable funds to our private sector which will stimulate the economy and jobs creation for our teeming unemployed youths. The House of Representatives however observed two critical omissions on the MTEF namely:
(i) That the Revenue from Gas, running into billions of dollars, is not reflected, and
(ii) External borrowing is similarly not reflected.

8. Another source of concern for the Legislature is the management of the excess crude revenues. Since 2010 the Appropriation Act has legislated that the excess crude component of the Federation Account be operated under separate records for purpose of transparency and accountability. Besides, Section 30 of the Fiscal Responsibility Act makes it mandatory for the Budget office to submit budget implementation Assessment reports to the National Assembly and the Fiscal Responsibility Commission on a quarterly basis and to publish same on Ministry of Finance Website. The President may be unaware that the National Assembly is neither availed evidence of implementation of this policy along with the records of Federal Governments portion of the excess crude funds nor the quarterly implementation reports, as required under the two Acts. Mr. President may wish to give appropriate directives to ensure full and speedy compliance by relevant agencies.

9. The trend of Nigeria’s foreign reserves has taken an upward trajectory in recent months, on the back of steady production levels and robust oil prices. The latest figure for the country’s foreign reserve, as of 04 October 2012, stands at 41.48Billion US Dollars, a 26-month high.

10. Concerns are however being expressed regarding the management and accounting reportage of our foreign reserve stock as to whether the figures reported are cumulative accruing inflows only or are inclusive of interests accruing from the management process or attributed to other sources of accretion. This matter becomes urgent especially when accruing management fees thereof is not reflected in the Medium Term Expenditure Framework (MTEF).

11. There must be transparency, accountability and probity in the management of our resources generally, given recent developments that indicate our exposure to unforeseen natural disasters. We certainly, for instance, cannot take the protection of our environment for granted.

12. Mr. President, on our part we wish to promise early passage and diligent monitoring. It is important to remind ourselves that Nigerians would want to see proof of that as quickly as possible. They no longer care for words, they insist on action. It is necessary that ministries, Departments, Agencies and all public functionaries concerned in the governance process are properly instructed on this fact so that they cease from considering beautiful excuses and explanations as achievements.

13. It remains for me to state once again that the pace of governance must take cognizance of the fact that the nation is grossly in arrears of its developmental potentials and expectations and accordingly a “business as usual” approach is totally unhelpful and unacceptable.

14. In concluding this short vote of thanks, Mr. President, let me restate our assurances that the National Assembly wants you to succeed and I say that for every legislator here today. The stakes are certainly high and as representatives of the people we know exactly how bad things are. We believe that this country can only benefit if we all work together to deliver our mandates. The National Assembly has no other motive than this.

15. I am compelled however to state that the National Assembly is becoming increasingly concerned about the disregard for its resolutions and public comments by certain functionaries of the Executive on same. I cite the Senate Resolution on the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE), the House Resolution on the state of insecurity of the nation, requesting Mr. President to visit and brief the House, the House of Representatives Resolution on the Security and Exchange Commission (SEC), the concurrent Resolution of the two Chambers on Bakassi among others. This does not promote cordial relationship between the Executive and Legislature and consequently stability in the polity.

16. We must therefore, continue to work together to redeem this nation from the clutches of poverty and disease. The vaunted growth in the nation's GDP must be reflected in the lives of everyone, not just a few people privileged to hold public office or those enjoying unfair public patronage.

17. Mr. President, once again, thank you for this visit and may the Almighty God grant you the wisdom of Solomon as you steer this delicate ship of state

God Bless Nigeria!

5 Likes

Re: Tambuwal Speech At 2013 Budget Presentation by obicentlis: 3:45pm On Oct 10, 2012
The only vibrant chamber is the green chamber. The red chamber is rubber stamp. if GEJ can study this speech, then, no govt will be better than his. I wish his well if he wishes himself well.
Re: Tambuwal Speech At 2013 Budget Presentation by buhak: 9:59am On Oct 11, 2012
that is a good speech, i hope GEJ will work on it fast remember people are waiting for him in year 2015.
Re: Tambuwal Speech At 2013 Budget Presentation by TheMadame(f): 10:02am On Oct 11, 2012
Is this a subtle warning to Mr President?
Re: Tambuwal Speech At 2013 Budget Presentation by maclatunji: 10:26am On Oct 11, 2012
Excellent speech. Tambuwal made all the needed observations, criticisms, advices and suggestions. We don't want excuses, we want results!
Re: Tambuwal Speech At 2013 Budget Presentation by Keen1(m): 10:27am On Oct 11, 2012
Great speech, delivered in style. How I wish we have a President who has capacity to study this speech and act on it. Truly, poverty level has become worisome. The legislature is just waking up to its responsibility. Seems it is no more a family issue. The executive should wake up. Domestic borrowing by government has made it almost impossible for the private sector to have access to money. Deciet, corruption and propaganda must end. We dont need to be World Bank expert to know that the country is drifting apart and needs urgent surgical action. Thanks Rt. Hon. Tambuwal. The legislator should follow this up with a proper oversight function devoid of envelope taking. God bless Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Tambuwal Speech At 2013 Budget Presentation by soledayo(m): 10:47am On Oct 11, 2012
I HOPE HE (GEJ) HAS HEAR TO HEAR INDEED.
Re: Tambuwal Speech At 2013 Budget Presentation by Elueme: 10:58am On Oct 11, 2012
That was a tactical and succinct speech.. The president has also demonstrated humility and leadership by insisting on having a Copy of that speech right in the hollow chambers yesterday. No doubt, the relationship between the executive and the legislative arm especially the house of rep hasn't been too cordial due to some concerns and mutual mistrusts but however said, the president is most likely going to work on that ASAP. The house on their part should demonstrate leadership and build trust by first guiding itself with integrity and stopped playing politics with resolutions as seen with the SEC director general's case. It is only when patriotism is brought to the fore that Nigerians will be the benefactors of these seemingly patriotic and well articulated observations.m

4 Likes

Re: Tambuwal Speech At 2013 Budget Presentation by christ4mi(f): 11:01am On Oct 11, 2012
cool cool I hope these clueless GEJ will have a clue from this smart Speaker
Re: Tambuwal Speech At 2013 Budget Presentation by slimming: 11:20am On Oct 11, 2012
the budget is an excercise in futility becos of lack of fund to make a reality.
Re: Tambuwal Speech At 2013 Budget Presentation by bong4(m): 11:21am On Oct 11, 2012
All of them are the same, president , house and etc. Large sums of money yet poor implemetation. Sick of these people occupying leaderships positions
Re: Tambuwal Speech At 2013 Budget Presentation by sindyko(m): 11:33am On Oct 11, 2012
Good analogy from Tambuwa, if only GEJ can heed to the speech. I bet u many of the elites know the problem and the hindrance of this nation, but fail to implement it in appropriate way. As he said, he might the most criticize president, but we are waiting for his surprise package. God bless nigeria.
Re: Tambuwal Speech At 2013 Budget Presentation by maclatunji: 11:54am On Oct 11, 2012
christ4mi: cool cool I hope these clueless GEJ will have a clue from this smart Speaker

Word! It was like a professor lecturing a jambite in governance. This Tambuwal guy has some serious brains.
Re: Tambuwal Speech At 2013 Budget Presentation by ifeci: 12:38pm On Oct 11, 2012
How I wish GEJ can speak like this.

1 Like

Re: Tambuwal Speech At 2013 Budget Presentation by Arobam: 12:40pm On Oct 11, 2012
Fine speech. Fine Budget too. It's just the right synergy required to power development in a democratic era.
Most of the things Tambuwal said were things within his legislative capacity to do. It is within their powers to increase the benchmark for the budget.
So there was no need to make a public show of it or play to the gallery
Re: Tambuwal Speech At 2013 Budget Presentation by DDN: 1:01pm On Oct 11, 2012
I wish the writer of this speech can take over as the speaker of the house
Re: Tambuwal Speech At 2013 Budget Presentation by lacasa: 1:11pm On Oct 11, 2012
GEJ, did u hear him??

Forget all those forged insinuations by your praise-singing advicers & self proclaimed "God-fathers".

Thee likes of Abati, Okupe, Maku, Usman, Iwaela, Maduekwe, Alameseigha, Gana, EDWIN CLARK, ASARI, Tompolo & co

Who keep whispering into Ūя̲̅ ears & stroking Ūя̲̅ ego on the purported assumptions & startling innuendos thαt a section of Nigerians, the "Opposition" is always to Blame & the cause of bad situations in this country.

Mr President, God destined u to be there & by-God i dnt think u went there to tag urself a Failure in the History books.

Ɣou are the Head, Please start acting Like One.

2 Likes

Re: Tambuwal Speech At 2013 Budget Presentation by jamil2(m): 1:12pm On Oct 11, 2012
ifeci: How I wish GEJ can speak like this.

Dude you are funny! We are praying for the president to put into practise these points in order to build a good nation and you are busy wishing the president to speak effortlessly. What a nuisance.
Re: Tambuwal Speech At 2013 Budget Presentation by nagoma(m): 2:05pm On Oct 11, 2012
Keen1: How I wish we have a President who has capacity to study this speech and act on it.

Unfortunately you are likely to be disappointed. We know the basic character of our president and we know his capacity or the lack of it.

The leopard cannot change it's spots.
Re: Tambuwal Speech At 2013 Budget Presentation by ifeci: 2:38pm On Oct 11, 2012
jamil!:

Dude you are funny! We are praying for the president to put into practise these points in order to build a good nation and you are busy wishing the president to speak effortlessly. What a nuisance.

yeah, it might sound nuisance to ur ears but even as much as we want him to put to practice, he must still speak sometimes because he's not dumb! so it will be a good thing if he has a good command of speech; more so, sound presidential. do u get it?
Re: Tambuwal Speech At 2013 Budget Presentation by Ajengogo(m): 3:46pm On Oct 11, 2012
WHERE IS MARK'S SPEECH
Re: Tambuwal Speech At 2013 Budget Presentation by Nobody: 4:00pm On Oct 11, 2012
DDN: I wish the writer of this speech can take over as the speaker of the house
then people writing GEJ's would also be taking over,its gonna be the same thing bro..a step forward 2 steps backward
Re: Tambuwal Speech At 2013 Budget Presentation by Johndoe100(m): 4:11pm On Oct 11, 2012
nagoma:

Unfortunately you are likely to be disappointed. We know the basic character of our president and we know his capacity or the lack of it.

The leopard cannot change it's spots.

Really? I thought you were just learning to walk upright. How can you analyze anything?
Re: Tambuwal Speech At 2013 Budget Presentation by nagoma(m): 4:20pm On Oct 11, 2012
Johndoe100:

Really? I thought you were just learning to walk upright. How can you analyze anything?

Time will tell, I hope I will be proved wrong. With a reterdeen President like the one I have, ability to analyze has no value as you have just demonstrated.
Re: Tambuwal Speech At 2013 Budget Presentation by iamtheprincipal: 4:39pm On Oct 11, 2012
I have always said it that in this 7th National Assembly, maintaining the Senate is more of a waste of tax payers money than ever. The GREEN CHAMBER has taken over the place of the Senate on real issues that bothers on the interest of the masses despite the high level curruption cases that abound in both chambers of the National Assembly.
If only David Mark & the entire RED CHAMBER would wake up from their slumbers and join hands with the HOUSE in saving the Nigerian State from sinking further.
I recall the glory days of the Nigerian Senate; the days of Dr. Chuba Okadigbo, Ph.D of blessed memory when men stood up against some unhealthy policies & positions of the Executive in the interest of the masses.
Thank you, Rt. Hon. Aminu Waziri Tambuwal CFR for this very critical & sincere admonitious tutorial on governance given to GEJ & his team. I hope he pays heed to the contents of this speech & implement them thereafter.
Re: Tambuwal Speech At 2013 Budget Presentation by iamtheprincipal: 4:48pm On Oct 11, 2012
I have always said it that in this 7th National Assembly, maintaining the Senate is more of a waste of tax payers money than ever. The GREEN CHAMBER has taken over the place of the Senate on real issues that bothers on the interest of the masses despite the high level corruption cases that abound in both chambers of the National Assembly.
If only David Mark & the entire RED CHAMBER would wake up from their slumbers and join hands with the HOUSE in saving the Nigerian State from sinking further.
I recall the glory days of the Nigerian Senate; the days of Dr. Chuba Okadigbo, Ph.D of blessed memory when men stood up against some unhealthy policies & positions of the Executive in the interest of the masses.
Thank you, Rt. Hon. Aminu Waziri Tambuwal CFR for this very critical & sincere admonitious tutorial on governance given to GEJ & his team. I hope he pays heed to the contents of this speech & implement them thereafter.
Re: Tambuwal Speech At 2013 Budget Presentation by afosam4real(m): 5:12pm On Oct 11, 2012
Honestly,Hon. Tambuwal made ‎my day yesterday with the unreserved truths he laid bare before mr president and his kitchen cabinet members,in his vote of thanks.
‎​​I think at this very juncture,mr president needs to start getting things right in steering the boat of the great country called Nigeria. He needs to pull down his lackadaisical attitudes about things that matter and start getting his priority right in order to etch his name on gold as one of the most successful presidents of this great nation.
Mr president,let me remind you that you have everything you need to ‎​Make this country work at your very disposal,but you deliberate jettisoned and abdicated your duties as the leader of the most populous black nation in the world. However,the 2013 budget is another opportunity for your administration to have an appreciable impacts on the lives of every Nigerian provided you unclad corruption and deal with it headlong.
It's ‎my prayer that God almighty will see you through as you continue to pilot the affairs of this our great country towards the right direction of greatness.
Re: Tambuwal Speech At 2013 Budget Presentation by johnsonerhis: 11:09pm On Oct 11, 2012
Thumbs up man, ur speech is heart warming! God bless u
Re: Tambuwal Speech At 2013 Budget Presentation by ajogbemi: 8:23am On Oct 12, 2012
I pray the Spirit of God give him (GEJ understanding of what has been communicated wisely and have the will to act accurately not with the wisdom of solomon though but,the wisdom of God the creator of all.[color=#000099][/color] kiss
Re: Tambuwal Speech At 2013 Budget Presentation by Orikinla(m): 3:43pm On Oct 26, 2012
Hon. Tambuwal, Speaker of the House of Representatives in Japan.

On Tuesday, October 23, Mr. Yoshihiro Noda, Prime Minister of Japan, received a courtesy call by Hon. TAMBUWAL, Speaker of the House of Representatives, National Assembly, Federal Republic of Nigeria, who is visiting Japan on the invitation of the Speaker of the House of Representatives, for approximately 15 minutes from 11:30. The overview of the meeting is as follows:

Prime Minister Noda welcomed the Hon. Tambuwal's visit to Japan and stated that he would like to further strengthen friendly and cooperative relations with Nigeria which is a cornerstone for stability and growth in West African region.

Source:http://www.nigeriansreport.com/2012/10/hon-tambuwal-speaker-of-house-of.html

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan In France For Summit On Peace And Security In Africa / BREAKINGNEWS! Akpabio’s Sneak Visit To Buhari Ends In Disgrace / Buhari's Response To Dele Momodu: My Thoughts...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.