Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,739 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:42 PM

UNILAG Student Jailed For Defrauding An American Lady - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / UNILAG Student Jailed For Defrauding An American Lady (15822 Views)

Man Arrested For Defrauding Dead Friend / Pastor Arraigned For Defrauding Church Members In Lagos / Student Jailed For Stealing BlackBerry In Ogun State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

UNILAG Student Jailed For Defrauding An American Lady by braine(m): 4:58am On Oct 12, 2012
UNILAG Student Jailed For Promising Love & Defrauding An American Lady

For allegedly defrauding an American lady, Kathy Lunsford through the internet under the pretext of marriage, a University of Lagos student, Michael Opaleye has been sent to jail by a Lagos State High Court
Opaleye was sentenced to 18 months imprisonment yesterday by Justice Aishat Opesanwo for defrauding Miss Kathy Lunsford, of 9,200 US dollars under the pretext of getting married to her.

The convict who is studying computer science at UNILAG had pleaded guilty to the charge of obtaining by false pretence and forgery.
He had entered into a plea bargain deal with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission(EFCC) and offered to pay back the money to his victim.
The judge in her judgment, said the sentence would commence on 15 March when he was first arraigned before the court.
She also ordered Opaleye after his release from prison,to pay N100,000 monthly to the victim through the EFCC until he refunded the total amount involved in the scam.

The convict is also to forfeit the electronic appliances and other items purchased with the proceeds of the crime, which were recovered from his house during the investigation, to the EFCC.

EFCC counsel, Mr Anselem Ozioko said Opaleye had between 2008 and 2011, swindled Lunsford by making a phoney marriage proposal to her through e-mail.
He said Lunsford had sent Opaleye the said amount as part of his travelling expenses from the United Kingdom to the United States of America to facilitate their marriage.
Ozioko said the defendant forged a Nigeria drivers Licence No. WWD24174AAJ, which he claimed was issued by the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC).

He said the Opaleye forged a bank draft which he claimed wasissued by the Bank of Ireland, Dublin.
The offences according to him had contravened Sections 419 and 467 of the Criminal Code Laws of Lagos State 2003.

http://lindaikeji..com/2012/10/unilag-student-jailed-for-promising.html?
Re: UNILAG Student Jailed For Defrauding An American Lady by obowunmi(m): 6:01am On Oct 12, 2012
The woman should be jailed for her stupidity. Abeg, leave the boy joor.

11 Likes

Re: UNILAG Student Jailed For Defrauding An American Lady by Afam4eva(m): 9:04am On Oct 12, 2012
These students are biting more than they can chew.
Re: UNILAG Student Jailed For Defrauding An American Lady by Okijajuju1(m): 9:07am On Oct 12, 2012
In other News.. Maga strikes back..

7 Likes

Re: UNILAG Student Jailed For Defrauding An American Lady by AntiGbagaun(f): 9:09am On Oct 12, 2012
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: UNILAG Student Jailed For Defrauding An American Lady by CLIQBOY(m): 9:09am On Oct 12, 2012
Maga no gree pay

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Student Jailed For Defrauding An American Lady by andyolo(m): 9:10am On Oct 12, 2012
Oyinbo na MUMU them be, dey shd leave d boy jare...
Re: UNILAG Student Jailed For Defrauding An American Lady by freecocoa(f): 9:10am On Oct 12, 2012
So na students crime period we dey now, hmm.
That woman sef, na wa for her o.
I wonder why these young men won't keep their hands clean, almost all of them are involved in one yahoo yahoo crime or another.
Re: UNILAG Student Jailed For Defrauding An American Lady by emmykk(m): 9:11am On Oct 12, 2012
Oyebo woman i go chop ur dollar-opeye post the blueprint to hammer oyebo lady jor.we should repay slave trade metted on us.
Re: UNILAG Student Jailed For Defrauding An American Lady by beatricewebb: 9:11am On Oct 12, 2012
Greatest Akokite.......

2 Likes

Re: UNILAG Student Jailed For Defrauding An American Lady by Kslib(m): 9:14am On Oct 12, 2012
Wait oh,i think the whites always perceive the blacks as dumb? If so,then why do they still fall for such scams despite how popular it is... This same people aaddress blacks as 419'ners/fraudsters,then for heaven's sake why do they still fall for such things... Omo na im be say black man na oga for "HYPNOTISM".. I wont be surprised,if that same woman falls for another scam..

5 Likes

Re: UNILAG Student Jailed For Defrauding An American Lady by stepo707: 9:14am On Oct 12, 2012
1 down, millions to go
Re: UNILAG Student Jailed For Defrauding An American Lady by sunnyp1(m): 9:18am On Oct 12, 2012
Americans are greed people they started this scam of a thing let them finish it abeg free my guy he use wetin him get take they eat. angry

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Student Jailed For Defrauding An American Lady by Bunchersstab(m): 9:21am On Oct 12, 2012
Abeg who know d format wey e use chop d woman

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Student Jailed For Defrauding An American Lady by sunnyp1(m): 9:21am On Oct 12, 2012
Kslib: Wait oh,i think the whites always perceive the blacks as dumb? If so,then why do they still fall for such scams despite how popular it is... This same people aaddress blacks as 419'ners/fraudsters,then for heaven's sake why do they still fall for such things... Omo na im be say black man na oga for "HYPNOTISM".. I wont be surprised,if that same woman falls for another scam..
na so brother
Re: UNILAG Student Jailed For Defrauding An American Lady by KINGwax(m): 9:21am On Oct 12, 2012
CLIQBOY: Maga no gree pay
maga pay o but im eye clear so she wants a refund!
Re: UNILAG Student Jailed For Defrauding An American Lady by princejose: 9:23am On Oct 12, 2012
Good justice and judgement is equal to freedom from crime and criminology in Nigeria.
All of you young guys that are involved in this will surely be in EFCC net one day.

It is really affecting Nigeria images abroad.

4 Likes

Re: UNILAG Student Jailed For Defrauding An American Lady by kaydibs(f): 9:25am On Oct 12, 2012
LoL. Dat woman fell for the oldest trick in the book. Can't believe a person could be that.....
Re: UNILAG Student Jailed For Defrauding An American Lady by Standing5(m): 9:25am On Oct 12, 2012
The whites' perception of black does not justify what is at hand. I doubt this computer science 'prodigy' can write simple codes in any popular programming language.
Re: UNILAG Student Jailed For Defrauding An American Lady by Youngzedd(m): 9:27am On Oct 12, 2012
emmykk: Oyebo woman i go chop ur dollar-opeye post the blueprint to hammer oyebo lady jor.we should repay slave trade metted on us.

Oyibo dey aluu (Aluu Comm)
What they did to coal diggers in Enugu then was terrible, heartless niggaz.
Re: UNILAG Student Jailed For Defrauding An American Lady by acidtalk: 9:27am On Oct 12, 2012
What a world!!!
I pity the next man that Judge will sentence life in prison for stealing a car radio or the woman that will be sentenced to 20years in prison for stealing onion and maggi.

10years time this bloody crook will join politics and enter house of rep shey?
Nigeria, i hail oh! i dey see your leaders of tomorrow.

So much injustice for the poor.
Na big crime judgement dey light pass.

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Student Jailed For Defrauding An American Lady by Youngzedd(m): 9:33am On Oct 12, 2012
Kslib: Wait oh,i think the whites always perceive the blacks as dumb? If so,then why do they still fall for such scams despite how popular it is... This same people aaddress blacks as 419'ners/fraudsters,then for heaven's sake why do they still fall for such things... Omo na im be say black man na oga for "HYPNOTISM".. I wont be surprised,if that same woman falls for another scam..

No mind them, na this old cargos dey fall for naija young niggas.
The woman maybe 58 years or more than.
Na so them dey craze.
Re: UNILAG Student Jailed For Defrauding An American Lady by Akpan107(m): 9:38am On Oct 12, 2012
She never knew he was a black guy and a Nigerian for that matter... The guy tried to make her believe he is from Ireland... I pity the young lady, she is desperatly in need of a husband, may God provide her one that is free from frouds in Jesus name... SOME LADIES CAN DO THE UNDO-ABLE WHEN THEY ARE IN NEED OF A HUSBAND.

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Student Jailed For Defrauding An American Lady by Finland(m): 9:38am On Oct 12, 2012
acidtalk: What a world!!!
I pity the next man that Judge will sentence life in prison for stealing a car radio or the woman that will be sentenced to 20years in prison for stealing onion and maggi.

10years time this bloody crook will join politics and enter house of rep shey?
Nigeria, i hail oh! i dey see your leaders of tomorrow.

So much injustice for the poor.
Na big crime judgement dey light pass.

Don't you know that corruption started from justice system?
Re: UNILAG Student Jailed For Defrauding An American Lady by Nobody: 9:40am On Oct 12, 2012
Love is the greatest scam of all time! Many Nigerian ladies are milking fellow Nigerian men dry, EFCC needs to start arresting our BB gurls.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian National Arrested With Cocaine Worth ₦12.6 Million In India / Policemen Seen Assaulting A Lawyer In Onitsha (Video) / I Conspired With My Friends To Kill Fulani Woman For Money Ritual – Ifa Priest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.