Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,788 members, 7,827,909 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:01 PM

Five Things I Learnt From The Aluu Debacle - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Five Things I Learnt From The Aluu Debacle (17151 Views)

Police: Why We Couldn't Save The Aluu 4 / One Of The ALUU 4 Killers Caught. / UNIPORT Students And ALUU Villagers Fighting In Port-Harcourt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Five Things I Learnt From The Aluu Debacle by Purist(m): 12:42pm On Oct 12, 2012
I still feel very angry, depressed and largely pessimistic about this country when I think about how those 4 boys were ruthlessly murdered. I have been hoping for justice for past 6 days, but knowing how my country operates, that's the best I can probably do - Hope. Nonetheless, I learnt a few things from the whole debacle.

(1) As obvious as it sounds, the Aluu incidence only confirmed that it is very difficult for most people to think clearly when emotions are running high. The Aluu savages were guilty of this, and sadly, many not-so-different supposedly educated and enlightened Nairalanders are equally guilty of this.

(2) Most Nigerians are wild animals in human skin. As someone on another thread aptly captured it, "Aluu is just a random location and Boko Haram + Almajiri killings are just opportunistic events, most Nigerians are capable of these vices." This statement was made very evident here on Nairaland by people who strongly expressed their belief that jungle justice for jungle justice is the most appropriate method to level things out. They saw absolutely no problems with cursing and destroying an entire community for the sins of a few.

(3) Most people here that screamed the most are not concerned about the Aluu 4 per se. Do not be swayed by the cries and shouts of "Burn the village! Wipe them off the earth!", etc. All those clamouring for a reprisal attack only seek to satisfy their own blood lust and nothing else. Outside Nairaland, none of these people actually give a f#ck!

(4) Critical thinking is apparently not our forte in this country. It bewilders me that only a very few people on all the numerous threads about this incidence could put forth decent arguments and look beyond sentiments. It was quite amusing to see that the majority of Nigerians failed woefully to realise the irony of their clamour for the Aluu community to be razed down. Advocating the same thing you condemn in the same breath is the definition of Duplicity. Just like the man who sets a bomb to prove how peaceful he is.

(5) Nigerians are largely hypocrites who practise their religions very selectively. I am fairly certain that the vast majority of those who supported these reprisal attacks all identify strongly with one religion or the other. In fact, I dare say that most of them belong to the supposedly mild Christian faith. However, it was quite interesting to observe how virtually all of them completely disregarded religious injunctions in favour of their own abhorrent desires. Some even desperately attempted to use their religious texts to justify their opinions, despite the very clear positions of these mainstream religions on killing and revenge. In essence, I particularly learnt in this case that when the push comes to the shove, most Nigerians - deep deep deep down inside of them - don't really give a f#ck about the God they all claim to believe in.

In a nut shell, crass animalism, gross stupidity and sheer hypocrisy runs rife in my country. These, gentlemen and ladies, are what I learnt.

34 Likes

Re: Five Things I Learnt From The Aluu Debacle by tpia5: 12:49pm On Oct 12, 2012
I wonder why you'd say people do not care.

When so many have been crying and unable to sleep since this incident?

Some of you really need an empathy gene.

8 Likes

Re: Five Things I Learnt From The Aluu Debacle by Purist(m): 12:53pm On Oct 12, 2012
tpia@:

You know they have been crying and unable to sleep because they claimed so on Nairaland?

Also, there's something called 'context'. You should read up on it.

1 Like

Re: Five Things I Learnt From The Aluu Debacle by Nobody: 1:59pm On Oct 12, 2012
@Purist,

All five points you raised clearly capture the peculiar human condition we have been reduced to.
The man truly died...

2 Likes

Re: Five Things I Learnt From The Aluu Debacle by tpia5: 3:25pm On Oct 12, 2012
Purist:

You know they have been crying and unable to sleep because they claimed so on Nairaland?

Also, there's something called 'context'. You should read up on it.

so because you dont believe they did, means they didnt?

you are lacking a vital human quality the absence of which is not good.

and why would you assume nl is the only place aware of this matter?

this thing has spread all over the world, and you're talking of nl?

3 Likes

Re: Five Things I Learnt From The Aluu Debacle by Purist(m): 3:40pm On Oct 12, 2012
tpia@:

so because you dont believe they did, means they didnt?

Let's leave it at that then, shall we? You can make your own list of things you learnt (if any) if you so wish.

tpia@:

you are lacking a vital human quality the absence of which is not good.

And you know this based on a few paragraphs I typed? Or because I didn't join in the crusade to "burn down Aluu!"??

tpia@:

and why would you assume nl is the only place aware of this matter?

Where did I assume such?

tpia@:

this thing has spread all over the world, and you're talking of nl?

What else did you expect me to write ON Nairaland? You want me to conform to your expectations of what should or should not be written? It could have spread to even Mars, but this is NL and I chose to express my observations on the same platform. Got a problem with it? Take a hike.
Re: Five Things I Learnt From The Aluu Debacle by polokor60(m): 7:43pm On Oct 12, 2012
eGuerrilla: @Purist,

All five points you raised clearly capture the peculiar human condition we have been reduced to.
The man truly died...
in the face of tyranny or in the face tribalism............i ll go with the later.
Re: Five Things I Learnt From The Aluu Debacle by Nobody: 7:57pm On Oct 12, 2012
polokor60: in the face of tyranny or in the face tribalism............i ll go with the later.

I am almost certain tribalism was not a factor in Aluu.

If you have convincing evidence it was, please make this available.
Re: Five Things I Learnt From The Aluu Debacle by polokor60(m): 8:13pm On Oct 12, 2012
eGuerrilla:

I am almost certain tribalism was not a factor in Aluu.

If you have convincing evidence it was, please make this available.

if those students were aluu indigenes,a scarsh would not be found on their skin.them go just speak ikwerre,end of discussion.

3 Likes

Re: Five Things I Learnt From The Aluu Debacle by Purist(m): 10:54am On Oct 13, 2012
I agree with eGuerrilla here. Tribalism is hardly a factor in such incidences. (Alleged) thieves are burnt almost daily in Lagos by fellow tribesmen, etc.

1 Like

Re: Five Things I Learnt From The Aluu Debacle by polokor60(m): 12:06pm On Oct 13, 2012
Purist: I agree with eGuerrilla here. Tribalism is hardly a factor in such incidences. (Alleged) thieves are burnt almost daily in Lagos by fellow tribesmen, etc.
lagos state is more like a cosmopolitan city,if you have lived with an ikewre man before then you ll understand what i'm talking about.the likes of than guy hitting those students with a big stick may be the ones terrorizing the residents of aluu but they ll turn a blind eye because he is an indigene.

7 Likes

Re: Five Things I Learnt From The Aluu Debacle by Nobody: 3:04pm On Oct 13, 2012
tpia@:

@tpia

I respect you a lot on this forum...however, you clearly missed the point of Purist's post.

5 Likes

Re: Five Things I Learnt From The Aluu Debacle by Purist(m): 5:36pm On Oct 13, 2012
Richfella:

@tpia

I respect you a lot on this forum...however, you clearly missed the point of Purist's post.

Bro, even I was quite surprised at the way she took out a very small part of the entire post completely out of context and chose to dwell on it. Well, it appears the bit about critical thinking I mentioned earlier applies here very much.
Re: Five Things I Learnt From The Aluu Debacle by Areaboy2(m): 7:41pm On Oct 13, 2012
tpia@:

Read Point number 4 again and try to understand it this time. It will help you undecided
Re: Five Things I Learnt From The Aluu Debacle by pak: 9:01am On Oct 17, 2012
why are the moderators when you need them ?

Why did this thread never make the front page
Re: Five Things I Learnt From The Aluu Debacle by Callotti: 9:31am On Oct 17, 2012
(1)As obvious as it sounds, the Aluu incidence only confirmed that it is very difficult for most people to think clearly when emotions are running high. The Aluu savages were guilty of this, and sadly, many not-so-different supposedly educated and enlightened Nairalanders are equally guilty of this.

Avoid gangs
Avoid gangs
Avoid gangs
Avoid gangs
Avoid gangs

You are less likely to use your brains effectively if you operate in GANGS! kiss

1 Like

Re: Five Things I Learnt From The Aluu Debacle by Callotti: 9:32am On Oct 17, 2012
(2) Most Nigerians are wild animals in human skin. As someone on another thread aptly captured it, "Aluu is just a random location and Boko Haram + Almajiri killings are just opportunistic events, most Nigerians are capable of these vices." This statement was made very evident here on Nairaland by people who strongly expressed their belief that jungle justice for jungle justice is the most appropriate method to level things out. They saw absolutely no problems with cursing and destroying an entire community for the sins of a few

Don't keep late nights
Don't keep late nights
Don't keep late nights
Don't keep late nights
Don't keep late nights

Most jungle rats can only operate in groups and at night. . . . . Where evil lurks at night. . . .STAY AWAY!!!!
The black skin is synonymous with EVIL. kiss

1 Like

Re: Five Things I Learnt From The Aluu Debacle by Callotti: 9:44am On Oct 17, 2012
(3) Most people here that screamed the most are not concerned about the Aluu 4 per se. Do not be swayed by the cries and shouts of "Burn the village! Wipe them off the earth!", etc. All those clamouring for a reprisal attack only seek to satisfy their own blood lust and nothing else. Outside Nairaland, none of these people actually give a f#ck!

Christian almajiris are always 1 million times worse than Muslim almajiris

1 Like

Re: Five Things I Learnt From The Aluu Debacle by Callotti: 9:47am On Oct 17, 2012
4) Critical thinking is apparently not our forte in this country. It bewilders me that only a very few people on all the numerous threads about this incidence could put forth decent arguments and look beyond sentiments. It was quite amusing to see that the majority of Nigerians failed woefully to realize the irony of their clamour for the Aluu community to be razed down.

[size=20pt]Advocating the same thing you condemn in the same breath is the definition of Duplicity. Just like the man who sets a bomb to prove how peaceful he is.[/size]

NIGERIANS ARE THE MOST WRETCHEDLY WICKED PEOPLE IN THE WHOLE WORLD
Re: Five Things I Learnt From The Aluu Debacle by Callotti: 9:50am On Oct 17, 2012
[b](5) [size=20pt]Nigerians are largely hypocrites who practise their religions very selectively.[/size] I am fairly certain that the vast majority of those who supported these reprisal attacks all identify strongly with one religion or the other. In fact, I dare say that most of them belong to the supposedly mild Christian faith. However, it was quite interesting to observe how virtually all of them completely disregarded religious injunctions in favour of their own abhorrent desires. Some even desperately attempted to use their religious texts to justify their opinions, despite the very clear positions of these mainstream religions on killing and revenge. In essence, I particularly learnt in this case that when the push comes to the shove, most Nigerians - deep deep deep down inside of them - don't really give a f#ck about the God they all claim to believe in.

[size=20pt]In a nut shell, crass animalism, gross stupidity and sheer hypocrisy runs rife in my country. These, gentlemen and ladies, are what I learnt.[/size][/b]

GBAM NIGERIANS ARE THE MOST STEEEEEEEEWPID PEOPLE IN THE WORLD

(Quote) (Report) [size=20pt]3 Likes[/size] (Unlike)

The third 'like' is from moi. . . . kiss
Very well done.
If this were a course. . . I would have given the OP a IST CLASS WITH DISTINCTION!

What a way to start my day with my rice and vegetable soup for breakfast!
Fantastic masterpiece! kiss

Since this tory first came out. . . .I wisely held my comments.
Only the caliber of steeeeeeeeeewpidity exhibited by Nigerians as usual. . . will pronounce a death sentence where a community has lynched its own children. . . .What a tragedy!

5 Likes

Re: Five Things I Learnt From The Aluu Debacle by coogar: 10:05am On Oct 17, 2012
Purist: I still feel very angry, depressed and largely pessimistic about this country when I think about how those 4 boys were ruthlessly murdered. I have been hoping for justice for past 6 days, but knowing how my country operates, that's the best I can probably do - Hope. Nonetheless, I learnt a few things from the whole debacle.

(1) As obvious as it sounds, the Aluu incidence only confirmed that it is very difficult for most people to think clearly when emotions are running high. The Aluu savages were guilty of this, and sadly, many not-so-different supposedly educated and enlightened Nairalanders are equally guilty of this.

(2) Most Nigerians are wild animals in human skin. As someone on another thread aptly captured it, "Aluu is just a random location and Boko Haram + Almajiri killings are just opportunistic events, most Nigerians are capable of these vices." This statement was made very evident here on Nairaland by people who strongly expressed their belief that jungle justice for jungle justice is the most appropriate method to level things out. They saw absolutely no problems with cursing and destroying an entire community for the sins of a few.

(4) Critical thinking is apparently not our forte in this country. It bewilders me that only a very few people on all the numerous threads about this incidence could put forth decent arguments and look beyond sentiments. It was quite amusing to see that the majority of Nigerians failed woefully to realise the irony of their clamour for the Aluu community to be razed down. Advocating the same thing you condemn in the same breath is the definition of Duplicity. Just like the man who sets a bomb to prove how peaceful he is.

(5) Nigerians are largely hypocrites who practise their religions very selectively. I am fairly certain that the vast majority of those who supported these reprisal attacks all identify strongly with one religion or the other. In fact, I dare say that most of them belong to the supposedly mild Christian faith. However, it was quite interesting to observe how virtually all of them completely disregarded religious injunctions in favour of their own abhorrent desires. Some even desperately attempted to use their religious texts to justify their opinions, despite the very clear positions of these mainstream religions on killing and revenge. In essence, I particularly learnt in this case that when the push comes to the shove, most Nigerians - deep deep deep down inside of them - don't really give a f#ck about the God they all claim to believe in.

In a nut shell, crass animalism, gross stupidity and sheer hypocrisy runs rife in my country. These, gentlemen and ladies, are what I learnt.

i learnt nigeria is an animal kingdom...the country is a joke! anyone can accuse you of stealing on the street and you could get lynched on the spot! there's no need for evidence or statement - what a country! we should change the name of the country from nigeria to jabez!!!!

1 Like

Re: Five Things I Learnt From The Aluu Debacle by Nobody: 11:20am On Oct 17, 2012
tpia@:

They were crying cos it was gruesome that has nothing to do with caring
Re: Five Things I Learnt From The Aluu Debacle by Nobody: 11:25am On Oct 17, 2012
pak: why are the moderators when you need them ?

Why did this thread never make the front page

pls Re-read point #4 U will know why wink
Re: Five Things I Learnt From The Aluu Debacle by LoaditeDOTcom: 2:44pm On Oct 17, 2012
Na So life be
Re: Five Things I Learnt From The Aluu Debacle by Nobody: 2:50pm On Oct 17, 2012
Purist: I still feel very angry, depressed and largely pessimistic about this country when I think about how those 4 boys were ruthlessly murdered. I have been hoping for justice for past 6 days, but knowing how my country operates, that's the best I can probably do - Hope. Nonetheless, I learnt a few things from the whole debacle.

+10000000000000

Best op-ed on NL in a long time...

Nigeria needs more people like you...

3 Likes

Re: Five Things I Learnt From The Aluu Debacle by Chrisbenogor(m): 2:51pm On Oct 17, 2012
OP
And there I was thinking I was alone.

The saddest part is, nobody really gives half wag of a monkey's tail. The boys are gone, their families are left to deal with it.

Bunch of savages angry angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Five Things I Learnt From The Aluu Debacle by LoaditeDOTcom: 2:53pm On Oct 17, 2012
1.avoid Bad company
2.dont waka at nyt for where no b ur villa

3.be wise
4. Dont borrow money to who u dnt trust.
5.dnt trust anyone

3 Likes

Re: Five Things I Learnt From The Aluu Debacle by Nobody: 2:54pm On Oct 17, 2012
tpia@:

Bwahahahaha @ the bolded... cheesy

People can't sleep because it was the first time it happened in Nigeria, no?? grin

Stop living in denial, Nigerians just love the herd mentality - most don't really care...
Re: Five Things I Learnt From The Aluu Debacle by Nobody: 3:07pm On Oct 17, 2012
Funny how you skipped the MOST important lesson. When your parents labour hard to send you to school, the least you can do is face your studies peacefully and ensure you graduate in one piece with decent grades. Simple. Do NOT go to school to join cults or prance around 'forming' hard man' all over the place. Chances are that you might get unlucky and meet your waterloo. Frankly I wouldn't waste my sympathy on any fool that puts himself in such a situation, irrespective of whatever cruel fate befalls him.

There is no need to engage in questionable ventures such as going about during ungodly hours to extort people or bully them for whatever reason. Whether we like it or not, there is a whole lot of trouble out there in the world, but it is much easier to avoid them when you keep your hands clean. That is the most important lesson sensible people would learn from this unfortunate saga.

12 Likes

Re: Five Things I Learnt From The Aluu Debacle by mikron(m): 3:10pm On Oct 17, 2012
@op what is ur point exactly? are you saying we are barbaric? honestly i dont get you

5 Likes

Re: Five Things I Learnt From The Aluu Debacle by Nobody: 3:10pm On Oct 17, 2012
@purist. I wished most nigeria has your kind of critical reasoning, Nigeria would have been a better place by now. we are a bunch of people who hardly have a thought of our own. We are so fake and easily cajoled by the media. Most of the people making comment here right now, the best they would have done if they were present during the lynching of the aluu4 would have been videoing the incidence. I bet you, more than 90percent of people on this forum would not have intervene to stop the lynching if they were present. Lagos, Aba and Onitsha are the headquarter were people are being lynched just because someone shouted thief. it happens every year in Lagos mostly in the mainland ikorodu area. The only reason this case is making wave is because of the background of the victims. It is time we fight against this kind of incidence irrespective of the class in the society the victims might belong. if this aluu4 were just motor mechanic or bricklayers most people in nigeria will not have shown this level of concern. What a shameless country and shameless people we are!

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2 Kidnappers Arrested For Luring Kids With N50 And Selling Them For N10k / EFCC Distances Self From Dismissed Staff, Peter Akpanke / How I Was Caught In A Group Fighting Scene..share Your Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.