Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,704 members, 7,809,679 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:57 PM

27-year-old Woman Commits Suicide After Giving Birth To Twins - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 27-year-old Woman Commits Suicide After Giving Birth To Twins (2817 Views)

Woman Gave Birth To Twins After 16 Years Of Marriage (photo) / Mad Woman Gives Birth To Twins In Public In Delta State / Husband, Wife In Shock After Giving Birth To Dwarf (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

27-year-old Woman Commits Suicide After Giving Birth To Twins by Tariqh: 10:08pm On Oct 12, 2012
11 days after she was delivered of a set of
twins, a Nigerian mother, Shekinat
Abdurazaq, 27, committed suicide when she
jumped into the Osun River in Ede, Western
Nigeria.
The suicide was committed in full glare at
about 3.30 p.m. on the Osun River Bridge on
the Oke Gada Road.
Witnesses said before Shekinat jumped into
the river, she reportedly prayed and gave
alms to beggars around the bridge head.
One of the witnesses, who identified himself
as Selia Mojeed, said people did not know
that Abdurazaq wanted to commit suicide,
else they would have prevented her from
doing so.
Although efforts to speak with her husband
failed, it was said that the woman had no
outstanding problems with her spouse,
family or neighbours before the incident.
Efforts by sympathisers and passersby to
rescue the woman failed as she was said to
have drowned immediately.
Shortly after the incident, her husband also
attempted to jump into the river. He was
prevented from doing so by bystanders.
The police later whisked away the deceased’s
husband and placed him under safe custody
at the Police “A” Division in Ede.
The state Police Public Relations Officer, Mrs
Folasade Odoro, confirmed the incident.
Re: 27-year-old Woman Commits Suicide After Giving Birth To Twins by mamagee3(f): 10:15pm On Oct 12, 2012
Wow!!!

People are nuts these days
Re: 27-year-old Woman Commits Suicide After Giving Birth To Twins by EfemenaXY: 10:15pm On Oct 12, 2012
^^ Not necessarily.

The poor lady was probably suffering from Post Natal Depression. It's one of the "lows" many women experience shortly after childbirth and it can last for a couple of months. This is so sad.

People need to be educated about this illness and how to look out for the tell-tale signs...

3 Likes

Re: 27-year-old Woman Commits Suicide After Giving Birth To Twins by Sijo01(f): 10:22pm On Oct 12, 2012
Hmmm, another one!.... some people have no regards for what (life)they cannot create anymore.
Re: 27-year-old Woman Commits Suicide After Giving Birth To Twins by Caseless: 10:24pm On Oct 12, 2012
She got the blessing others have spent years looking for and she killed herself. She took the life she cud not give ....hmmm...i wonder her situation right now in the world beyond. She's on her own oo..
Re: 27-year-old Woman Commits Suicide After Giving Birth To Twins by Sijo01(f): 10:26pm On Oct 12, 2012
Efemena_xy: ^^ Not necessarily.

The poor lady was probably suffering from Post Natal Depression. It's one of the "lows" many women experience shortly after childbirth and it can last for a couple of months. This is so sad.

People need to be educated about this illness and how to look out for the tell-tale signs...

that's not a yardstick for her to take her own life......she should have talked to somebody..... no matter the situations, suicide is never the answer.
Re: 27-year-old Woman Commits Suicide After Giving Birth To Twins by EfemenaXY: 10:46pm On Oct 12, 2012
^^ It can be, in severe cases.

No one's saying suicide is the answer. Sometimes, simply "talking" about it isn't enough. She's not the first to have done it and probably won't be the last. Like I said, it is a very real illness and people need to be aware of it so they can be treated accordingly. Here's another similar case and this time, it happened in the States.

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Severe-postpartum-depression-leaves-them-without-1105206.php#photo-630173

1 Like

Re: 27-year-old Woman Commits Suicide After Giving Birth To Twins by Nobody: 11:14pm On Oct 12, 2012
Post natal depression - it sounds like - if its not treated in time mothers can in fact kill themselves or/and their baby.

1 Like

Re: 27-year-old Woman Commits Suicide After Giving Birth To Twins by Nobody: 11:31pm On Oct 12, 2012
#shaking my head
Re: 27-year-old Woman Commits Suicide After Giving Birth To Twins by dominique(f): 12:32am On Oct 13, 2012
Sijo01:

that's not a yardstick for her to take her own life......she should have talked to somebody..... no matter the situations, suicide is never the answer.

you may never really understand the extent of post partum depression unless you experience it yourself. I experienced it myself after giving birth to my son. I never thought i could experience such a feeling in my life. For almost 3 weeks, I was not myself, felt no connection to my baby and i was in tears most of the time. People around me couldnt understand what was wrong with me and i couldnt explain myself. It was when i started feeling better that i explained the condition to hubby and showed him some online articles. PPD symptoms vary from woman to woman. In extreme cases, the woman is murderous or suicidal (as in this case). Sadly, there is little or no awareness about conditions like these.

3 Likes

Re: 27-year-old Woman Commits Suicide After Giving Birth To Twins by Rooneyboy(m): 1:08am On Oct 13, 2012
Nawa o ! Since when did committing suicide become in vogue in Naija?
I thought it was only westerners that usually commit suicide ?
Re: 27-year-old Woman Commits Suicide After Giving Birth To Twins by Nobody: 4:25am On Oct 13, 2012
Post Partum Depression is real and most times severe in Nigeria. Ignorance doesn't help as $ost women who show early signs are believed to be "possesed" and taken for "prayers and deliverance". Doctors and social workers need to do more during pre natal classes.
Her case is extreme, I had mild PPD after my second baby, I would cry and cry with no reason, I wouldn't want to feed him, my husband will compress the milk and feed him, Thankfully, I got full counseling at National Hospital and I didn't require medication. Severe cases can cause temporary or permanent insanity, and total depression leading to suicide and sometimes the mother may murder the baby.
It is a hormonal inbalance and not witches from the village. We are sadly so ignorant about so many things, if a lot of the commentors had information about PPD they wouldn't be condemning her to hell and thinking she made a "rational decision" to commit suicide, PPD affects the brain and compromises your thought and decision making process
we use internet to spread gossip but not t
o learn or read. A friend of a friend had PPD and was locked up for months by her husband and pastor in a room, denied access to her mother and mother in law as the pastor fingered them as witches responsible for her condition.Meanwhile the husband and the same pastor caused it because she had a breeched pregnancy and Doctors adviced CS which the husband cinsulted the pastor about and the pastor refused, "prophesying " that she will die if she had CS, so instead of being rational, they gathered "prayer warriors" while the poor woman went through insane labor pains, lost so much blood, and finally had to be operated,Her brothers had to get the police involved, most of them were abroad but after cries from her mother came down and took their sister to receive medical treatment. The "pastor " did a lot of damages, flogging her everyday

2 Likes

Re: 27-year-old Woman Commits Suicide After Giving Birth To Twins by Series22(m): 5:07am On Oct 13, 2012
Efemena_xy: ^^ Not necessarily.

una just d form oyibo 4 nothing.
She killed her self inside osun river, and 4rm what we know that river is being worshiped by some folks.. People go 2 that river 2 ask 4 children, mayb na d aggrement between her and d deity.. Abeg, make we stop d form like say we no know wetin really Sup.
Abi no b that same river them d use do Osun-Oshogbo festival?
Re: 27-year-old Woman Commits Suicide After Giving Birth To Twins by Nobody: 5:18am On Oct 13, 2012
Series22: una just d form oyibo 4 nothing.
She killed her self inside osun river, and 4rm what we know that river is being worshiped by some folks.. People go 2 that river 2 ask 4 children, mayb na d aggrement between her and d deity.. Abeg, make we stop d form like say we no know wetin really Sup.
Shaking my head sadly, and we wonder why we continue to remain the poorest and most underdeveloped even among African Countries. So sad. What you wrote sounds rational and logical to you abi?

1 Like

Re: 27-year-old Woman Commits Suicide After Giving Birth To Twins by Series22(m): 5:22am On Oct 13, 2012
debrief08: Post Partum Depression is real and most times severe in Nigeria. Ignorance doesn't help as $ost women who show early signs are believed to be "possesed" and taken for "prayers and deliverance". Doctors and social workers need to do more during pre natal classes.
Her case is extreme, I had mild PPD after my second baby, I would cry and cry with no reason, I wouldn't want to feed him, my husband will compress the milk and feed him, Thankfully, I got full counseling at National Hospital and I didn't require medication. Severe cases can cause temporary or permanent insanity, and total depression leading to suicide and sometimes the mother may murder the baby.
It is a hormonal inbalance and not witches from the village. We are sadly so ignorant about so many things, if a lot of the commentors had information about PPD they wouldn't be condemning her to hell and thinking she made a "rational decision" to commit suicide, PPD affects the brain and compromises your thought and decision making process
o learn or read. A friend of a friend had PPD and was locked up for months by her husband and pastor in a room, denied access to her mother and mother in law as the pastor fingered them as witches responsible for her condition.Meanwhile the husband and the same pastor caused it because she had a breeched pregnancy and Doctors adviced CS which the husband cinsulted the pastor about and the pastor refused, "prophesying " that she will die if she had CS, so instead of being rational, they gathered "prayer warriors" while the poor woman went through insane labor pains, lost so much blood, and finally had to be operated,Her brothers had to get the police involved, most of them were abroad but after cries from her mother came down and took their sister to receive medical treatment. The "pastor " did a lot of damages, flogging her everyday
if u like believe, if u like pretend not 2 believe.. D spiritual controls d physical, when it is been decided in d spiritual quaters, d decision would have a physical outcome, e.g, like d case of dis woman in question.
No b evrytin u go use SCIENCE, atimes apply ADVANCED SCIENCE (METAPHYSICS)
Re: 27-year-old Woman Commits Suicide After Giving Birth To Twins by Series22(m): 5:27am On Oct 13, 2012
debrief08:
Shaking my head sadly, and we wonder why we continue to remain the poorest and most underdeveloped even among African Countries. So sad. What you wrote sounds rational and logical to you abi?
4 your small mind, u d pretend say u no believe in supernatural forces abi?
Re: 27-year-old Woman Commits Suicide After Giving Birth To Twins by Nobody: 7:41am On Oct 13, 2012
debrief I thank God my health visitor gave me the support and access to the tools needed to come out of the post natal depression and not send me to a pastor to deal with the "spiritual attack"

SMH at some ignorant comments

1 Like

Re: 27-year-old Woman Commits Suicide After Giving Birth To Twins by Maxymilliano(m): 9:29am On Oct 13, 2012
This post is enlightened, big ups to some of the contributors so far.
Re: 27-year-old Woman Commits Suicide After Giving Birth To Twins by Nobody: 9:51am On Oct 13, 2012
Re: 27-year-old Woman Commits Suicide After Giving Birth To Twins by kokosheen(m): 10:52am On Oct 13, 2012
Nice contributions, I've learnt something new today "PPD". Thanks Nairaland
Re: 27-year-old Woman Commits Suicide After Giving Birth To Twins by mazaje(m): 12:58pm On Oct 14, 2012
debrief08: Post Partum Depression is real and most times severe in Nigeria. Ignorance doesn't help as $ost women who show early signs are believed to be "possesed" and taken for "prayers and deliverance". Doctors and social workers need to do more during pre natal classes.

I just had to laugh at the highlighted part. . . .

Series22: una just d form oyibo 4 nothing.

You are completely ignorant. . .There is nothing that is more dangerous as willful ignorance and that is what you are displaying here. . .How can Nigeria ever develop with mindset like yours that is averse to new information and knowledge?. . .pathetic. . .
Re: 27-year-old Woman Commits Suicide After Giving Birth To Twins by Mowire: 2:11pm On Oct 14, 2012
This is one of those reasons why informed parents (want to) get concerned & involved in the choice of who their sons marry. Cos it's known fact (here in the SW, at least) that "insanity after child birth" runs in some families.
Re: 27-year-old Woman Commits Suicide After Giving Birth To Twins by agiboma(f): 12:50am On Oct 15, 2012
mama-gee:
Wow!!!

People are nuts these days

Its people like you and comments like this that make the problem go unoticed its so obvious the poor woman was suffering from PPD or (post partum depression). It happens in some women after they give birth and their hormones are returning to normal. No resources or education on this disorder is the biggest tragedy of all when locals will say ohh
she was sick or possessed. More education and awarness needs to be placed on tis topic. It should be standared in antenatal care for all women and their family.

(1) (Reply)

How To Naturally Regrow Lost Hair In15 Minutes A Day / PHOTOS: When You Leave Your Kids Unattended / My Joy Knew No Bound

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.