Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,501 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:48 AM

My Pastor Saw Me Staking Baba Ijebu Lotto And. . . - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Pastor Saw Me Staking Baba Ijebu Lotto And. . . (3695 Views)

Help! My Pastor Hates Me! / He Caught His Pastor Playing Baba Ijebu Lotto / My Pastor 'Saw Pastor Bimbo Odukoya In Hell'! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Pastor Saw Me Staking Baba Ijebu Lotto And. . . by bingbagbo(m): 8:35am On Oct 13, 2012
he got so angry.Called me to his house to rebuke me and prayed for me, warning me never to stake lotterry again.
is lotto demonic? ungodly? sinful?

help me embarassed
Re: My Pastor Saw Me Staking Baba Ijebu Lotto And. . . by Image123(m): 12:43pm On Oct 13, 2012
it's ungodly, are you godly?
Re: My Pastor Saw Me Staking Baba Ijebu Lotto And. . . by mkmyers45(m): 1:30pm On Oct 13, 2012
there is absolutely nothing wrong with bieng a professional gambler...if you take a fat tithe tommorow to church he wont care anymore..infact he will bless you

1 Like

Re: My Pastor Saw Me Staking Baba Ijebu Lotto And. . . by Nobody: 2:41pm On Oct 13, 2012
bin gbagbo: he got so angry.Called me to his house to rebuke me and prayed for me, warning me never to stake lotterry again.

help me embarassed
great joke
Re: My Pastor Saw Me Staking Baba Ijebu Lotto And. . . by OmoAlata(f): 7:37am On Oct 14, 2012
bin gbagbo:

help me embarassed

Nothing specific in the Bible about gambling.

Proverbs 13:11

New Living Translation (©2007)
Wealth from get-rich-quick schemes quickly disappears; wealth from hard work grows over time.

English Standard Version (©2001)
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle, but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.

1 Like

Re: My Pastor Saw Me Staking Baba Ijebu Lotto And. . . by bingbagbo(m): 7:43am On Oct 14, 2012
Omo Alata:

Nothing specific in the Bible about gambling.

Proverbs 13:11

New Living Translation (©2007)
Wealth from get-rich-quick schemes quickly disappears; wealth from hard work grows over time.

English Standard Version (©2001)
Wealth gained hastily will dwindle, but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: My Pastor Saw Me Staking Baba Ijebu Lotto And. . . by OmoAlata(f): 7:46am On Oct 14, 2012
bin gbagbo:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

I know grin Everything is in the Bible smiley
Re: My Pastor Saw Me Staking Baba Ijebu Lotto And. . . by Nobody: 10:14am On Oct 14, 2012
Abeg play lotto jare, earn big and build your own church - call it - The Lotto Church.

You bible people self, na everything dey evil. From watching Television. Me personalmente do not see anything wrong in playing lotto. If lotto is wrong, then it is wrong to invest in stocks too - because it is a form of lotto.

Now, can someone answer me this question - is making bombs demonic too? Because i am aware that bombs are used in mining.
Re: My Pastor Saw Me Staking Baba Ijebu Lotto And. . . by bingbagbo(m): 10:19am On Oct 14, 2012
*dhtml:
Abeg play lotto jare, earn big and build your own church - call it - The Lotto Church.

You bible people self, na everything dey evil. From watching Television. Me personalmente do not see anything wrong in playing lotto. If lotto is wrong, then it is wrong to invest in stocks too - because it is a form of lotto.

Now, can someone answer me this question - is making bombs demonic too? Because i am aware that bombs are used in mining.

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked grin grin
Re: My Pastor Saw Me Staking Baba Ijebu Lotto And. . . by Image123(m): 12:38pm On Oct 14, 2012
*dhtml:

thought explosives were used in mining. just saying
Re: My Pastor Saw Me Staking Baba Ijebu Lotto And. . . by Nobody: 1:44pm On Oct 14, 2012
Image123:
thought explosives were used in mining. just saying
Sorry, i meant to say explosives - thanks for the correction. I still need to see how lotto becomes evil - still beats me.

Is there any human being harmed, robbed, molested, destroyed, bombed or maimed in any way during the loto business?
Re: My Pastor Saw Me Staking Baba Ijebu Lotto And. . . by Image123(m): 4:22pm On Oct 14, 2012
^gambling disturbs the equilibrium as it were. God made us to function with the laws of sowing and reaping, and an all round intrinsic trust in Him. gambling brings in a trust and usually false hope in chance, which in most cases leads to debt, depression and mismanagement.
Re: My Pastor Saw Me Staking Baba Ijebu Lotto And. . . by Nobody: 4:53pm On Oct 14, 2012
^Lord have mercy! I am not convinced still.
Re: My Pastor Saw Me Staking Baba Ijebu Lotto And. . . by Nobody: 5:08pm On Oct 14, 2012
Image123: ^gambling disturbs the equilibrium as it were. God made us to function with the laws of sowing and reaping, and an all round intrinsic trust in Him. gambling brings in a trust and usually false hope in chance, which in most cases leads to debt, depression and mismanagement.
Great point...
Re: My Pastor Saw Me Staking Baba Ijebu Lotto And. . . by Nobody: 5:21pm On Oct 14, 2012
Yeah, great but it is a pointless point.
Even employment job sef is a risk. You might get sacked.
Re: My Pastor Saw Me Staking Baba Ijebu Lotto And. . . by Image123(m): 5:37pm On Oct 14, 2012
_^on that premise, even eating is a risk, there are varying levels and needs of risk.
Re: My Pastor Saw Me Staking Baba Ijebu Lotto And. . . by LordReed(m): 5:58pm On Oct 14, 2012
With all due respect, I work for National Lottery Regulatory Commission and I can categorically say it that playing a lottery is not a sin.

If you wish to look at it from the POV of wealth distribution, a lottery ensures that there are several benefits to the community as 20% of all lottery earnings are invested in good projects in communities around the nation via the National Lottery Trust Fund.

Even if you as an individual don't win we as a community all win.
Re: My Pastor Saw Me Staking Baba Ijebu Lotto And. . . by Nobody: 6:39pm On Oct 14, 2012
^^^Thank you very much. Some people are just quick to bring down the hammer on something because they do not understand how it works. Rather than to seek enlightenment, they start criticizing.

1 Like

Re: My Pastor Saw Me Staking Baba Ijebu Lotto And. . . by Goshen360(m): 5:22am On Oct 15, 2012
Abeg make I ask one kweshion here o.......what about playing America Visa Lottery......Is it gambling Is it a sin Should a Christian get involved in such

1 Like

Re: My Pastor Saw Me Staking Baba Ijebu Lotto And. . . by Zikkyy(m): 6:38am On Oct 15, 2012
Image123: ^gambling disturbs the equilibrium as it were. God made us to function with the laws of sowing and reaping, and an all round intrinsic trust in Him. gambling brings in a trust and usually false hope in chance, which in most cases leads to debt, depression and mismanagement.

I don't agree. Gambling as defined cannot be sin, even life self na gamble grin investing in whatever form is a gamble. I.e. buying land that appears rocky with the intention of developing it for agric use is a gamble. Like somebody stated, investing in companies either directly or on the stockmarket is a gamble. They can lead to debt, depression & mismanagement.
Re: My Pastor Saw Me Staking Baba Ijebu Lotto And. . . by LordReed(m): 7:44am On Oct 15, 2012
Goshen360: Abeg make I ask one kweshion here o.......what about playing America Visa Lottery......Is it gambling Is it a sin Should a Christian get involved in such

Taking a chance or playing a chance game is not a sin. What the bible explicitly condemns is cheating and greed, characteristics which hovers around gamblers so much so gambling is now synonymous with them.

Visa Lottery is a taking a chance to be selected much the same way a job interview would work so unless you can manipulate the process or use it for selfish ends, applying for the Visa Lottery is not a sin.

Lottery in general are not sinful activities; simply entering into a chance to be selected for a prize does not make you a sinner.
Re: My Pastor Saw Me Staking Baba Ijebu Lotto And. . . by Zikkyy(m): 8:09am On Oct 15, 2012
Lord_Reed:

Taking a chance or playing a chance game is not a sin. What the bible explicitly condemns is cheating and greed, characteristics which hovers around gamblers so much so gambling is now synonymous with them.

Well said. What I observed is that most people are not able to relate biblical command to activities undertaken in the course of relating with their environment.
Re: My Pastor Saw Me Staking Baba Ijebu Lotto And. . . by truthislight: 8:51am On Oct 15, 2012
mkmyers45: there is absolutely nothing wrong with bieng a professional gambler...if you take a fat tithe tommorow to church he wont care anymore..infact he will bless you
lipsrsealed
mkmyers45: there is absolutely nothing wrong with bieng a professional gambler...if you take a fat tithe tommorow to church he wont care anymore..infact he will bless you
Re: My Pastor Saw Me Staking Baba Ijebu Lotto And. . . by Goshen360(m): 2:48pm On Oct 15, 2012
Lord_Reed:

Visa Lottery is a taking a chance to be selected much the same way a job interview would work so unless you can manipulate the process or use it for selfish ends, applying for the Visa Lottery is not a sin.

Lottery in general are not sinful activities; simply entering into a chance to be selected for a prize does not make you a sinner.

Zikkyy:

Well said. What I observed is that most people are not able to relate biblical command to activities undertaken in the course of relating with their environment.

Very Good.
Re: My Pastor Saw Me Staking Baba Ijebu Lotto And. . . by Image123(m): 10:21pm On Oct 15, 2012
With all due respect, I work for National Lottery Regulatory Commission and I can categorically say it that playing a lottery is not a sin.
In that case, your bias is clear.
Pro 20:6 Most men will proclaim every one his own goodness: but a faithful man who can find?

If you wish to look at it from the POV of wealth distribution, a lottery ensures that there are several benefits to the community as 20% of all lottery earnings are invested in good projects in communities around the nation via the National Lottery Trust Fund.

Even if you as an individual don't win we as a community all win.
There is always a good sidePOV to anything, lying, abortion, theft, corruption, election rigging, prostitution etc. Remember to 'thank God for everything' as it were.

Abeg make I ask one kweshion here o.......what about playing America Visa Lottery......Is it gambling Is it a sin Should a Christian get involved in such
This is a popular question from real gamblers. We should understand the context of what we speak, else we would resort to the nottoofaraway 'i can't find the word cocaine,mastur.bate,gamble in the bible'. i say contxt because over time and in certain frameworks, words differ in meaning. Like for instance its popular in some places to refer to a sick person as strong(e.g my baby is a little bit STRONG, so i took him to the clinic), or a very good person as bad(e.g Messi's goal was very bad, it should be goal of the tournament). Lottery or gambling in focus is the risking of usually money or possession in the blind hope of winning money or possession. Like when some people put down money and start to roll dice so that the highest roll takes the cash, that's the kind of gambling i'm referencing. Or someone goes to a kiosk to buy a ticket, hoping to have the lucky number. These are the crude forms from which the Las Vegas class gambling and lottery take shape. These cases are making money or a living on chance, luck wholly. These are not in the same frame as the visa lottery. There is nothing wrong with being given a chance or being lucky. One may be lucky/chanced to find a bike on time, or the cab becomes full as soon as you get to the park, or the rain did not fall on your celebration day, or the test questions were just what you revised. these scenerios contain chance and kuck in it but its not the same as staking Baba Ijebu. From the little i heard of the visa lottery, its not a put in $1 and win $10,000 thing. No, people submit their data, then some of the many are picked FOR AN INTERVIEW. The interview doesn't guarantee an auto-visa BTW. Its the normal interview like those for other visa types, and it can be failed. You pay visa processing like other visas, do medical tests, police etc. Even when you pass, you have to fly yourself over, and look for something to do. The US government uses the medium to help their own economy, especially to source for unskilled labor. Why would one compare that to Baba Ijebu or to betting.
Lottery is used to pick randomly. Like if we have five people to five tasks without any preferences, you can write the five tasks in five hidden sheets, then they pick it. that's different from rolling dice to make money. Whatever name it is called, raffle, draw, lot. The context is what you look at. That reaping where you have not sown. That lose so that i gain 'spirit'. It's another spirit, its not the spirit that ought to dwell in a christian. And its a possessive spirit. It lands majority of its victims in debt, depression, mismanagement and greed.

I don't agree. Gambling as defined cannot be sin, even life self na gamble investing in whatever form is a gamble. I.e. buying land that appears rocky with the intention of developing it for agric use is a gamble. Like somebody stated, investing in companies either directly or on the stockmarket is a gamble. They can lead to debt, depression & mismanagement.
i've now defined what i refer to as gambling. Life is a risk, business is a risk. But i've stated that there are different levels of risk. There is also wise investment and calculated risk. Investing is not the same as playing lotto. Jez, people go to school and obtain DEGREES learning this thing. People observe trends, history, equity, stability, the market, the news, organisational management, government policies etc before making investments. Making a foolish investment is not encouraged. People should seek quality advice and make proper research before doing anything, that way,it becomes less of a 'gamble'. Investments produce gains that can be estimated, calculated and repeated. Baba Ijebu or rolling dice cannot be. Good investment can lead to debt, depression and mismanagement. But good investments do not in most cases leads to debt, depression and mismanagement.
The rate people are ADDICTED to gambling is paranormal. It breeds greed and false hope. The e fit be you kind of hope. You continue buying and buying, looking for wrappers and bottle cor.ks, sending seemingly little 30naira, 100naira SMS, hoping to win the million, or the house. i see it at the least as an unwise thing, an appearance of evil, and a vice to flee from.

1Ti 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
1Th 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.
Pro 28:22 He that hasteth to be rich hath an evil eye, and considereth not that poverty shall come upon him.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Pastor Saw Me Staking Baba Ijebu Lotto And. . . by LordReed(m): 12:51am On Oct 16, 2012
@Image123
Indeed I am biased and that bias is to the truth my job not withstanding. My thoughts on lottery did not change because I began to work for the National Lottery Regulatory Commission, so to try and detract from my position on that basis is pissing in the wind.

Right now I am tired after a long day I will post a proper rebuttal to your post in the morning.
Re: My Pastor Saw Me Staking Baba Ijebu Lotto And. . . by CrazyMan(m): 5:56am On Oct 16, 2012
The Bible does not specifically condemn gambling, betting, or the lottery. The Bible does warn us, however, to stay away from the love of money (1 Timothy 6:10; Hebrews 13:5). Scripture also encourages us to stay away from attempts to “get rich quick” (Proverbs 13:11; 23:5; Ecclesiastes 5:10). Gambling most definitely is focused on the love of money and undeniably tempts people with the promise of quick and easy riches.

What is wrong with gambling? Gambling is a difficult issue because if it is done in moderation and only on occasion, it is a waste of money, but it is not necessarily evil. People waste money on all sorts of activities. Gambling is no more or less of a waste of money than seeing a movie (in many cases), eating an unnecessarily expensive meal, or purchasing a worthless item. At the same time, the fact that money is wasted on other things does not justify gambling. Money should not be wasted. Excess money should be saved for future needs or given to the Lord's work, not gambled away.

First Timothy 6:10 tells us, “For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.” Hebrews 13:5 declares, “Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, ‘Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.’” Matthew 6:24 proclaims, “No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.”
Re: My Pastor Saw Me Staking Baba Ijebu Lotto And. . . by Nobody: 6:01am On Oct 16, 2012
^^^I don tire for all these spirit-koko people here o. Na everything be sin. . . .
Re: My Pastor Saw Me Staking Baba Ijebu Lotto And. . . by Zikkyy(m): 7:00am On Oct 16, 2012
Image123:
The context is what you look at.

Correct. Am happy reading this bit.

Image123:
That reaping where you have not sown.

This is another matter. do you really think your reaping is based on your work? some peeps work harder than Dangote but are still not able to feed.

Image123:
That lose so that i gain 'spirit'. It's another spirit, its not the spirit that ought to dwell in a christian. And its a possessive spirit. It lands majority of its victims in debt, depression, mismanagement and greed.

There is no true win-win situation anywhere. unless you are not ready for business. The best you can do is to compromise a little so as to reduce the loss of the other guy. The stock market you consider genuine is still gambling. some body got to lose sometime. your gain today is either some other person's loss yesterday or his loss tomorrow.

Image123:
i've now defined what i refer to as gambling.

Thanks image, very much appreciate your taking time to define what you meant by gambling.

Image123:
Investing is not the same as playing lotto. Jez, people go to school and obtain DEGREES learning this thing. People observe trends, history, equity, stability, the market, the news, organisational management, government policies etc before making investments. Making a foolish investment is not encouraged. People should seek quality advice and make proper research before doing anything, that way,it becomes less of a 'gamble'. Investments produce gains that can be estimated, calculated and repeated. Baba Ijebu or rolling dice cannot be.

...and you think baba ijebu or other forms of betting/gambling do not involve research? you need to be around people involve in horse betting, (soccer) pools betting e.t.c to observe analysis & research effort behind these activities grin, even rolling of dice self, the way you position your hand might just make the difference, Lol! grin Because it's not taught in school yet does not mean peeps don't adopt a scientific approach to doing these things.

Image123:
Good investment can lead to debt, depression and mismanagement. But good investments do not in most cases leads to debt, depression and mismanagement.

Investment is only good when it does not end up in debt, depression and mismanagement. Otherwise it's bad. Success at rolling the dice will not lead to debt, depression and mismanagement grin

Image123:
The rate people are ADDICTED to gambling is paranormal. It breeds greed and false hope. The e fit be you kind of hope. You continue buying and buying, looking for wrappers and bottle cor.ks, sending seemingly little 30naira, 100naira SMS, hoping to win the million, or the house. i see it at the least as an unwise thing, an appearance of evil, and a vice to flee from.

Lol! grin The above post can be used to describe the behavior that lead to the last stock market crash (behaviors/activities not supported by fundamentals), and you said there is nothing wrong with participating in the stock market?

Image123:
The rate people are ADDICTED to gambling is paranormal. It breeds greed and false hope.

The bible said that if your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and throw it away. That's not to say having a right eye is a sin. So we can say if participating in baba ijebu lotto will cause one to sin (becomes greedy), then don't get involved.
What if i come visiting and told to wait for a while because image123 is in a meeting. If i decide to roll the dice with some friends while waiting (just for fun), is that a sin?

I maintain my position that we need to properly relate biblical commands to activities undertaken in the course of interacting with our environment. what is sin and what is not sin should not be based on sentiment.
Re: My Pastor Saw Me Staking Baba Ijebu Lotto And. . . by Nobody: 7:29am On Oct 16, 2012
HOW MANY OF YOU HERE ACTUALLY PLAYED LOTTO AT ONE TIME OR THE OTHER? EVERYTHING CAN BECOME A SIN IF CARE IS NOT TAKEN.
Re: My Pastor Saw Me Staking Baba Ijebu Lotto And. . . by LordReed(m): 9:21am On Oct 17, 2012
Let us start with a definition of lottery. Wiktionary defines it as

1. A scheme for the distribution of prizes by lot or chance, especially a gaming scheme in which one or more tickets bearing particular numbers draw prizes, the other tickets are blanks.

2. (Figuratively) An affair of chance.

3. (obsolete, Shakespeare) Allotment, a thing allotted.

Going by these definitions we can see that Lottery simply requires a participation that does not go beyond your entry into the game. This excludes cheating by the player as he has no influence on the outcome. This is the same scheme that the Isrealites used in alloting parcels of land in the promised land. All the tribes participated in a drawing of lots which determined who would get what. If lots or lottery were a sin how is it that God instructs the Isrealites to use it? Achan was found out by the use of lots. David consulted with the sacred Urim and Thummim, a form of lots.

An action is not inherently bad because bad people use it. Sex was created by God for our use yet we have adulterers and fornicators, does that make sex itself a sin? Certain actions have become associated with bad because a lot of bad actions have been done with them, it does not however modify that basic action to becoming evil.

Lotteries have no inherent evils in them, they only take on the characteristics of the people who use them.

2 Likes

Re: My Pastor Saw Me Staking Baba Ijebu Lotto And. . . by vaasiyanbi: 5:02am On Jun 09, 2015
Of a truth, this same incident happened to me just last week. Funniest thing, I asked some of my Christian friends but they couldn't established a genuine reason to call it a sin. One of them even supported it. What should we do?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Funny Church Dances! / Afterlife: A Wanderer In The Spirit Lands By Franchezzo / The Bible And Its Uncertainties

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.