Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,679 members, 7,851,341 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 05:19 PM

What Is It With Our Mentalities? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is It With Our Mentalities? (496 Views)

PIX: Why Nigerians Need To Change Their Mentalities! / See Nigeria Leaders Mentalities / Some Stupid Mentalities Byour Leeaders, It's A Must Foryou To Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Is It With Our Mentalities? by Ohibenemma(m): 6:33am On Oct 14, 2012
When the views of Nigerians today are taken into analysis, one sees a populace that desires everything good. They are keen to make comparison with other countries(advanced ones), and keen to draw conclusions, even from the point of ignorance about the actual conditions prevailing in those cited countries. These grand expectations are however curious when one considers the reluctance with which we give service back to the nation.
We expect a corruption free government, when we are the same ones that glorify corruption and the corrupt. Questionable characters are given awards, chieftaincy titles and paid deference at every opportunity, yet we are the same ones to cry hoarse when their activities are brought into limelight- some for and others against. We want the best from a nation which we constantly weaken through our tribalistic and nepotistic sentiments. We judge good and bad from tribal perspectives rather than from our conscience. We are prepared to pay A BLIND EYE to any misdemeanour as far as the perpetrator is from our ethnic grouping. We expect the best when our political orientation is narrowed to dirty party blind loyalty. Many of us don't consider the character or antecedents or policy statements by aspirants before supporting them; all that matters is the party LOGO and of course the amount of money such aspirant can throw around. This perspective is also mirrored in our day to day appreciation of government and its programs. We are ready to criticize BLINDLY once the government is of another party whether its policies are good or bad, and even moreso ready to defend and even ATTACK blindly when our party programs are brought up in bad light. I voted for candidates of different political parties in 2007, did same in the last elections and will continue because any clear thinking individual will know that NO POLITICAL PARTY is perfect or close to it. The debate of the past week was a critical example of our mental evolution as many comments here on nairaland were like, 'he is good, but in the wrong party'. I wondered which party is right or wrong.
We expect the BEST, yet have constantly worked against this. We are ready to jump queue at any given opportunity, we are ready to label any one who sticks to what is right as 'holier than thou'. We give bribes even when we don't expect our leaders to receive same...to be continued.

1 Like

Re: What Is It With Our Mentalities? by Kpac(m): 7:28am On Oct 14, 2012
Major Problem
A bad economy,flocks of corrupt government officials,high exchange rates,the killings and other social and non social vices in Nigeria in our present generation are very solveable,all this could go away if the right people take over. With all this problems,Nigeria is not a failed state BUT with the mentality of the majority as you have sufficiently pointed out,with the way these people talk,reason and act,the hope of this country is fading fast,the mentality of Nigerians is why its becoming a failed state.
These days I prefer to spend my moments in rural areas than urban,I find it better and sane,the rural dwellers still exhibit some great extent of good morals and characters,their roads are becoming better,their environment are even an inspiration in identifying talents and new ideas.
The mentalities,wicked acts and high condemnations of people in the urban areas are beginning to give me migraine and if you want a better prove of how common it is,visit threads on Nairaland and you will but shake your head at what cancer we nurse in our society.

(1) (Reply)

Kogi Assembly Impeaches Speaker. / Nigeria Disaster League 2012: / 76 Oil Wells: FG Seeks Reprieve For Cross River

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.