Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,033 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:59 AM

Yetunde Wumi - Lessons From My Drug Trafficking Mess - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Yetunde Wumi - Lessons From My Drug Trafficking Mess (12213 Views)

Yetunde Bustline Celebrates Her 45th Birthday In London (Photos) / Yetunde Bustline's Ex Baba Tee Steps Out With New Babe For Lagos Party (Party) / Babatee Replies Yetunde Bustline, ‘You Asked Me Out, Begged Me to Marry You' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yetunde Wumi - Lessons From My Drug Trafficking Mess by lekanolas: 4:59pm On Oct 14, 2012
Few years ago, Taiwo Akinwande a.k.a Yetunde Wumi almost had her acting career truncated when she was arrested for possessing hard drugs at the airport in Lagos. The soft-spoken actress spoke with YEMISI ADENIRAN on how she has since picked up the pieces of her life together.

You disappointed your fans some years back when you were arrested for drug trafficking at the airport by the National Drug Law Enforcing Agency (NDLEA). How did it feel?

It was one sad experience that I would never wish for my worst enemy. I did not only disappoint my fans, I disappointed my friends, families and, of course, my very self. I have been acting since 1981 when I joined Feyikogbon, a Yoruba serials, on the television and until that incident, I was respected and loved by all.

Whenever I passed through an area, I was a known face and I enjoyed everyone’s approval. I thought my world had come to an end when that incident occurred, I thought I was going to die, I didn’t know, I would ever be accepted into anywhere again.

I hope I could turn back the hands of the clock, I just wished it never happened but I thank God and everyone for giving me the opportunity to redeem my image.

Was it your first time?

Yes, it was and I really wouldn’t want to have the memory back. It was one wrong decision I took, it was one big effort of the devil to ruin me and my career but I thank God I was able to survive it.

A lot of people didn’t live to tell their stories, I thank God for the opportunity He gave me to learn my lessons and to tell the story afterwards.

What lesson(s) did you learn?

So many lessons I learnt.

Above all others, I have learnt that God Almighty is a loving God. He is merciful, He does as He wills, He is God of a second chance and I intend not to misuse this rare opportunity to amend my ways, wash off the evil blemish the devil inflicted on me.

I have also learnt to take each day as it comes and never compare myself with others. I learnt to be contented with what I have and not to allow any lack to push me into trouble. I learnt to love God, appreciate people and rely on what I can do to earn my money. So many lessons I have learnt through that incident.

Many believe that many top Nigerians who are rich today have been involved in one drug deal or the other before. What would you say to that?

I would say it is wrong to believe every hearsay that comes our way. If we will listen to these rumours, we are likely to be taken over by them and we may end up in trouble. Besides, what one person will do and escape, another may do and end up in a cobweb of problems.

Was that what happened to you?

This belief that you mentioned is not just coming up for the first time. People had heard of even worst things before.

All I can say is that we should be wary of what we listen to because it is what we hear that will stay long on our minds; it is that which will play back on our minds and if these things are negative, they can push us into negative acts.

Take for instance, students in higher institutions, even secondary schools. If they go by the general notion that if they don’t belong to a secret cult, they may not have it smooth on campus, they will be lured into wicked acts that are associated with cultists.

The same thing goes for ladies, if they will go by the saying that there is nothing wrong in using what one has to get what one needs, they will easily go into prostitution, which will eventually lead them to all sorts of evil. If mothers want to join the bandwagon or the trend, they will not be able to lead their children aright; they will end up as failed mothers.

I have tried to help myself by the option I took and like I said, I have learnt my lessons. There is no hard situation that can make me get involved in any negative deals in my life. That is just it.

Has this, in any way, affected your acting profession?

I must tell you that it has not. I thank God for the kind of people in my industry. Everyone can attest to the fact that they all rallied round me at that time of trial and even after; they have continued to invite me for roles.

I thank God for this which is why I said it has pleased God to give me another chance to live a good life and I am not going to play with it. I appreciate it and I will always be His mouthpiece anywhere I find myself or whenever I have the opportunity.

You don’t live with your husband. Is this a further confirmation that actresses can’t keep their homes?

We want to keep our homes. There is no woman that goes into a marriage with the mindset of making it fail. The problem we usually encounter is that of full support and lack of understanding on the part of our men.

Many of them can’t endure or let me say, cope with the dictates of our job and because we love what we are doing, we find it hard to give it up for anything.

http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/saturday-mirror/woman/lessons-of-my-drug-mess-yetunde-wumi/

1 Like

Re: Yetunde Wumi - Lessons From My Drug Trafficking Mess by Nobody: 1:11am On Oct 15, 2012
Am happy uve learnt ur lesson,ure too cute,soft spoken and elegant to do drugs to kip up wit d joneses.u dont have to buy french lace,voile,baby lace,latest ankara etc if u cant afford it or d money u make from actin cant afford u dat.thank God uve realised d importance of living simple

1 Like

Re: Yetunde Wumi - Lessons From My Drug Trafficking Mess by olawaletaiwo(m): 2:06pm On Oct 15, 2012
ummmmmmmmmmmmm.. word of mouth,,, the trip na her again, i promise.. but remember there is nothing like freedom
Re: Yetunde Wumi - Lessons From My Drug Trafficking Mess by Afam4eva(m): 2:08pm On Oct 15, 2012
I was really surprised that this lady was released with just a one million fine.
Re: Yetunde Wumi - Lessons From My Drug Trafficking Mess by Nobody: 2:09pm On Oct 15, 2012
Honestly, I admire this woman's strength. She chose not to hide but took responsibility for her actions and continue to look forward in life.

5 Likes

Re: Yetunde Wumi - Lessons From My Drug Trafficking Mess by ednut1(m): 2:13pm On Oct 15, 2012
blaming devil, like say u where gonna share d loot wit him, after all her nice words ere she will still put some cook in her kitty nd ha.nus, decietful pig
Re: Yetunde Wumi - Lessons From My Drug Trafficking Mess by Nobody: 2:15pm On Oct 15, 2012
afam4eva: I was really surprised that this lady was released with just a one million fine.
you can say that again! Maybe because she is a celebrity.am sure bail terms for celebrity is different from non celebrities.smh cry
Re: Yetunde Wumi - Lessons From My Drug Trafficking Mess by pak: 2:17pm On Oct 15, 2012
naijababe: Honestly, I admire this woman's strength. She chose not to hide but took responsibility for her actions and continue to look forward in life.

Very true, that was the best part not the typical Nigerian who will come out with cock and bull stories about enemies and whats not.
She has shown signs of someone who sill still go far in life
I hope she fully recovers and gets her life back

1 Like

Re: Yetunde Wumi - Lessons From My Drug Trafficking Mess by Nobody: 2:18pm On Oct 15, 2012
She should also warn baba suwe,never to try it again,say him juju go fail him ooo,all day na for the thief,one day for the owner.
Re: Yetunde Wumi - Lessons From My Drug Trafficking Mess by Nobody: 2:19pm On Oct 15, 2012
Was this intervioew conducted from her prison cell? Has she been released?
Re: Yetunde Wumi - Lessons From My Drug Trafficking Mess by Afam4eva(m): 2:19pm On Oct 15, 2012
I doubt if that was actually her first time in the cocaine business...She's also sorry cos she got caught. if she hadn't been caught, we would have been hearing of her buying the latest Range Rover. People need to get caught and shamed so that they will change.

2 Likes

Re: Yetunde Wumi - Lessons From My Drug Trafficking Mess by Afam4eva(m): 2:20pm On Oct 15, 2012
Keneking: Was this intervioew conducted from her prison cell? Has she been released?
She never went to prison. She had an option of fine which she took...I think there should not be an option of fine jare. People caught shippinh drugs should be locked up.

1 Like

Re: Yetunde Wumi - Lessons From My Drug Trafficking Mess by hbrednic: 2:22pm On Oct 15, 2012
next time,ask Baba suwe how its done

1 Like

Re: Yetunde Wumi - Lessons From My Drug Trafficking Mess by maballack(m): 2:23pm On Oct 15, 2012
Please someone put a pic to the news na....make person understand the story
Re: Yetunde Wumi - Lessons From My Drug Trafficking Mess by Ariyke: 2:26pm On Oct 15, 2012
learnt her lesson mmm
Re: Yetunde Wumi - Lessons From My Drug Trafficking Mess by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:27pm On Oct 15, 2012
I think if this lady was not a celebrity, she might still be in jail. All respect 2 Yetunde Wunmi. Others in this act may not get a 2nd chance. Nigerians, beware of Crime!!!
Re: Yetunde Wumi - Lessons From My Drug Trafficking Mess by ZeusI: 2:30pm On Oct 15, 2012
naijababe: Honestly, I admire this woman's strength. She chose not to hide but took responsibility for her actions and continue to look forward in life.
That is a nice design. Every bad man will later be honest. Hungry goat, she may be your sisi.
Re: Yetunde Wumi - Lessons From My Drug Trafficking Mess by Basic(m): 2:59pm On Oct 15, 2012
Keneking: Was this intervioew conducted from her prison cell? Has she been released?
Did you just drop from Jupiter?

1 Like

Re: Yetunde Wumi - Lessons From My Drug Trafficking Mess by claremont(m): 3:12pm On Oct 15, 2012
I hope other drug traffickers caught in the act are also given the option of fine like it happened in this case. I hate to think that the judge was lenient on her because she is a supposedly well-known celebrity. If she had been caught in one of those south-east Asian countries, she would have since faced the hangman's noose. If I were her, I would keep my mouth shut and go about my business quietly.
Re: Yetunde Wumi - Lessons From My Drug Trafficking Mess by siddiq202(m): 3:23pm On Oct 15, 2012
She carried the stuff long ago..why the interview now

I never knew there was an option of fine for drug-pusher until her case angry
Re: Yetunde Wumi - Lessons From My Drug Trafficking Mess by MadCow1: 3:52pm On Oct 15, 2012
Shey because they caught you!! angry

If you had succeeded now, you for no dey talk like this..

If you had even escaped like your brother Baba Suwe, you for dey brag say you no do am..

But as they caught you like your 52 year old record holder sister BOLA ADEBISI.. You wan come dey form sober and remorseful..

Abeg drex jor make I wrap my ganja.. angry
Re: Yetunde Wumi - Lessons From My Drug Trafficking Mess by Nobody: 4:09pm On Oct 15, 2012
claremont: I hope other drug traffickers caught in the act are also given the option of fine like it happened in this case. I hate to think that the judge was lenient on her because she is a supposedly well-known celebrity. If she had been caught in one of those south-east Asian countries, she would have since faced the hangman's noose. If I were her, I would keep my mouth shut and go about my business quietly.

Kinda hard to do with a showbiz day job.
Re: Yetunde Wumi - Lessons From My Drug Trafficking Mess by AKMoney1(m): 4:10pm On Oct 15, 2012
Was this interview translated to English undecided
Re: Yetunde Wumi - Lessons From My Drug Trafficking Mess by Nobody: 4:25pm On Oct 15, 2012
AK Money: Was this interview translated to English undecided

Probably. What's your point?
Re: Yetunde Wumi - Lessons From My Drug Trafficking Mess by Nobody: 5:05pm On Oct 15, 2012
afam4eva: I doubt if that was actually her first time in the cocaine business...She's also sorry cos she got caught. if she hadn't been caught, we would have been hearing of her buying the latest Range Rover. People need to get caught and shamed so that they will change.
Stop contradicting yourself 'man'

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Actor Olayiwola Rasaq (ojopagogo) And Wife Welcomes New Baby(pic) / Blame Your Man For Cheating, Not The Other Woman - Emma Nyra / I'm Learning The Act Of Ignoring Worthless Men - Tonto Dikeh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.