Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,192 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:14 AM

It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion (2443 Views)

Personal Opinion To Chris Okotie's Comments / Sorry! It Is Your Personal Opinion / This Matter Of Interpretations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion by ogoamaka99(m): 9:31pm On Oct 17, 2012
If not that we belong to other forums, one may think that what is happening in religious section of NF is normal. Forum is meant to be for interaction, learning new things we don’t know before, improving on what we know before etc. This is not so in Nairaland Forum,as what is generally obtained are quarrel lings, groupings and camps, whereby individuals tend to support whatsoever members of their camp said no matter if it is wrong or not, whether it make sense or not.
In this forum, many has mind set in that they can never welcome anything new that differs from the opinion they has already. Worst still is that in this forum individual tend to attack every thread by anyone outside their camp and at the same time they regard their personal opinion on any issue as final, and correct while viewing other opinions as trash.

However, the issue I want to point out in this thread is to let members realize that our opinion are never final and can never be final. This is because ever man/woman is entitled to his or her opinion. When it comes to religion, we should realize that every opinion is right or correct in ones opinion, because the opinion may be based on ones understanding, ones perception, ones faith etc. Because our understanding, perception, and faith differ always, our opinion must differ. It calls for us to RESPECT individual opinion.
Re: It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion by ijawkid(m): 9:45pm On Oct 17, 2012
Ogoamaka....how are u doing??

We don hear.....:-)
Re: It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion by truthislight: 1:02am On Oct 18, 2012
ogoamaka99:
If not that we belong to other forums, one may think that what is happening in religious section of NF is normal. Forum is meant to be for interaction, learning new things we don’t know before, improving on what we know before etc. This is not so in Nairaland Forum,as what is generally obtained are quarrel lings, groupings and camps, whereby individuals tend to support whatsoever members of their camp said no matter if it is wrong or not, whether it make sense or not.
In this forum, many has mind set in that they can never welcome anything new that differs from the opinion they has already. Worst still is that in this forum individual tend to attack every thread by anyone outside their camp and at the same time they regard their personal opinion on any issue as final, and correct while viewing other opinions as trash.

However, the issue I want to point out in this thread is to let members realize that our opinion are never final and can never be final. This is because ever man/woman is entitled to his or her opinion. When it comes to religion, we should realize that every opinion is right or correct in ones opinion, because the opinion may be based on ones understanding, ones perception, ones faith etc. Because our understanding, perception, and faith differ always, our opinion must differ. It calls for us to RESPECT individual opinion.

do you really think as christians, we should individually have our own opinion on religiouse issues or it is what the bible says that should have the final say?

Pls answer this question, no bad feeling please.
Re: It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion by ogoamaka99(m): 5:37am On Oct 18, 2012
truthislight:

do you really think as christians, we should individually have our own opinion on religiouse issues or it is what the bible says that should have the final say?

Yes we can have our own opinion on religious issues because of differences in understanding. If you understand something, the way you believe and react will differ from the way somebody else believe and react. Surely you react over an issue based on your opinion. Take for instance tithe, why do some christian pay and some don't pay?
Re: It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion by italo: 9:07am On Oct 18, 2012
truthislight:

How do you know what the Bible says? Is it not your personal opinion that you end up declaring as what the Bible says? E.g if you read the Bible and deduce that Jesus is God; and Mr X reads the Bible and deduces that Jesus is not God, who is to judge who is right and who is wrong? Don't you judge based on personal opinion? So how is your position different from Ogoamaka's?

Please answer these questions. No hard feelings.
Re: It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion by Nobody: 9:15am On Oct 18, 2012
italo:

How do you know what the Bible says? Is it not your personal opinion that you end up declaring as what the Bible says? E.g if you read the Bible and deduce that Jesus is God; and Mr X reads the Bible and deduces that Jesus is not God, who is to judge who is right and who is wrong? Don't you judge based on personal opinion? So how is your position different from Ogoamaka's?

grin grin TRUTHISLIGHT COME DEFEND YASEF OOOOOOOOO
Re: It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion by Nobody: 9:17am On Oct 18, 2012
Personally it is not to form different camps or groups or even to attract followers , that we start and discuss certain topics.

It has to do with standing on the Word of GOD and not the words of MEN.

For example the catholic church like the Mormons cannot operate on Sola scriptura alone, their doctrines are heavy laden with tradition , which has corrupted the TRUTH and made it of no effect.

I must be honest, in the past my views were with the majority such as tithe , trinity etc. However when I started to look into the bible to validate the factuality of these doctrines , scripture refused to support them and so I had to discard.

Our understanding of the bible must always be based on the truth of scripture , not the reasoning of Men.
Re: It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion by italo: 9:20am On Oct 18, 2012
ogoamaka99:
Yes we can have our own opinion on religious issues because of differences in understanding. If you understand something, the way you believe and react will differ from the way somebody else believe and react. Surely you react over an issue based on your opinion. Take for instance tithe, why do some christian pay and some don't pay?

If you think that we can have our own opinions on religious issues, then aren't you in danger of hell fire. E.g The Bible says 'he who doesn't eat my flesh n drink my blood will not have life'. Some believe this flesh n blood is bread n wine dat turns into d real body n blood of Jesus n gives life. Odas blv it is jus bread n wine dats symbolic, not the actual body n blood dat gives life. Odas blv it is just having faith in Jesus. But Jesus means one thing. What if your opinion is different frm his own opinion? You will not have life...and u kno wat dat means.
Re: It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion by Nobody: 9:21am On Oct 18, 2012
frosbel: Personally it is not to form different camps or groups or even to attract followers , that we start and discuss certain topics.

For example the catholic church like the Mormons cannot operate on Sola scriptura alone, their doctrines are heavy laden with tradition , which has corrupted the TRUTH and made it of no effect.

I must be honest, in the past my views were with the majority such as tithe , trinity etc. However when I started to look into the bible to validate the factuality of these doctrines , scripture refused to support them and so I had to discard.

Our understanding of the bible must always be based on the truth of scripture , not the reasoning of Men.
INDEED EMPEROR FROSBEL, INDEED
Re: It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion by Nobody: 9:29am On Oct 18, 2012
obadiah777: INDEED EMPEROR FROSBEL, INDEED

Emperor !!

God forbid , please call me the 'Least of all the Bretren', that's the title I want after all my experiences grin
Re: It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion by Nobody: 9:33am On Oct 18, 2012
frosbel:

Emperor !!

God forbid , please call me the 'Least of all the Bretren', that's the title I want after all my experiences grin
HUMILITY, AN ENTHRALLING TRAIT. AFFABLE AND DIGNIFIED. INDEED 'LEAST OF THE BRETHREN' FROSBEL grin grin grin
Re: It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion by italo: 10:03am On Oct 18, 2012
frosbel:

But there are people who say they operate by Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition and it is scriptural to do so. They even quote scripture to back their position. You say you go by Scripture alone and it is scriptural to do so. You also quote scripture to back your position. Who then has the authority to judge who is right between you and them? Should we just accept that they corrupted the truth because frosbel said so? Even though they also think you are corrupting the truth.

frosbel: I must be honest, in the past my views were with the majority such as tithe , trinity etc. However when I started to look into the bible to validate the factuality of these doctrines , scripture refused to support them and so I had to discard.

Others will disagree. They will say scripture supports them. They have their opinion; you have yours. What about God's opinion. Who can we trust to tell us?

frosbel: Our understanding of the bible must always be based on the truth of scripture , not the reasoning of Men.

But each man's understanding of what is the truth of scripture is based on his own reasoning. Who, among men then, has the authority to define God's opinion of truth?
Re: It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion by ogoamaka99(m): 5:37am On Oct 21, 2012
italo:

But there are people who say they operate by Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition and it is scriptural to do so. They even quote scripture to back their position. You say you go by Scripture alone and it is scriptural to do so. You also quote scripture to back your position. Who then has the authority to judge who is right between you and them? Should we just accept that they corrupted the truth because frosbel said so? Even though they also think you are corrupting the truth.

Others will disagree. They will say scripture supports them. They have their opinion; you have yours. What about God's opinion. Who can we trust to tell us?

But each man's understanding of what is the truth of scripture is based on his own reasoning. Who, among men then, has the authority to define God's opinion of truth?
IF WE UNDERSTAND THAT, THINGS WILL BE BETTER. But our problem is that we take our opinion to be the best, the only correct opinion. We sees any opinion that differ from ours as dunce. Let respect one anthers opinion
Re: It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion by italo: 7:04am On Oct 21, 2012
ogoamaka99:
IF WE UNDERSTAND THAT, THINGS WILL BE BETTER. But our problem is that we take our opinion to be the best, the only correct opinion. We sees any opinion that differ from ours as dunce. Let respect one anthers opinion

Yes. We should RESPECT one-another's opinions, but should we ACCEPT them and live our Christian lives by them? Or should we respect them and still hold on to our own opinions and live our lives by them?
Re: It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion by truthislight: 1:32pm On Oct 21, 2012
ogoamaka99:

my friend, can you answer the question i had ask you?

What should be the final authority for christian teaching?

Your opinion or the bible?
Re: It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion by truthislight: 1:33pm On Oct 21, 2012
italo:

the bible explain it self.
Re: It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion by truthislight: 1:40pm On Oct 21, 2012
italo:

any understanding that contradict other parts of bible is not a bible based knowledge and as such should be discarded.

God cannot contradict himself.
Re: It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion by truthislight: 1:42pm On Oct 21, 2012
ogoamaka99:

christianity is not based on our opinion but on what the bible says.

It is not a family BUSINESS scheme.
Re: It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion by truthislight: 1:44pm On Oct 21, 2012
italo:

Yes. We should RESPECT one-another's opinions, but should we ACCEPT them and live our Christian lives by them? Or should we respect them and still hold on to our own opinions and live our lives by them?

this are why there is a deviation from the .

Our "own opinion" and not what the bible says.
Re: It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion by italo: 6:30am On Oct 22, 2012
truthislight:

the bible explain it self.

But the Bible's 'explanation' differs from one man to another, and it is mainly due to each man's reasoning.

If you think that the Bible is explaining sometthing to be white and I feel that it is explaining that same thing to be black, who has the authority to judge who is right among us? Is it you?
Re: It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion by italo: 6:35am On Oct 22, 2012
truthislight:

any understanding that contradict other parts of bible is not a bible based knowledge and as such should be discarded.

God cannot contradict himself.

What if you THINK that my understanding contradicts other parts of the Bible and it should be discarded, but I THINK that my understanding doesn't contradict those parts of the Bible and should not discard it... What should we do? Should we still go ahead and discard it, ONLY because YOU say so? Do you have that authority?

1 Like

Re: It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion by italo: 6:39am On Oct 22, 2012
truthislight:

christianity is not based on our opinion but on what the bible says.

It is not a family BUSINESS scheme.

You mean what YOU THINK the Bible says - which is YOUR OPINION.

Afterall, you can possibly be wrong on what the Bible actually says, or can you not? Are you INFALLIBLE?
Re: It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion by italo: 6:44am On Oct 22, 2012
truthislight:

this are why there is a deviation from the .

Our "own opinion" and not what the bible says.

Let me give an example. Enigma believes the Bible says Jesus is God. You believe the Bible says Jesus is not God. So which one is what the Bible actually says? Should we just take your own fallible opinion to be what the Bible says because your name is "Truthislight?"

1 Like

Re: It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion by pastormustwacc: 7:42am On Oct 22, 2012
@Op, it is your immagination that people form camps. Let me tell you what you are mixing up:
- Religion: we have so many christian divisions, and many bibles too (but they all acknowlege the truth - Jesus)
- Church doctrines: varies widely from church to church (it cannot save you)
- Salvation: the only thing required to make heaven - Jesus (accept him and be saved)
Hmn, i don pack so many things together, you can decode that, it will help you. I intentionally failed to mention spirituality, but that might confuse.
Re: It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion by truthislight: 8:06am On Oct 22, 2012
italo:

But the Bible's 'explanation' differs from one man to another, and it is mainly due to each man's reasoning.

If you think that the Bible is explaining sometthing to be white and I feel that it is explaining that same thing to be black, who has the authority to judge who is right among us? Is it you?

the correct point or answer will be found in other parts of the bible, that is how the bible is written.

What you dont understand in GENESIS may have it explanation in revelation.
No room for human input.
Peace
Re: It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion by truthislight: 8:11am On Oct 22, 2012
italo:

What if you THINK that my understanding contradicts other parts of the Bible and it should be discarded, but I THINK that my understanding doesn't contradict those parts of the Bible and should not discard it... What should we do? Should we still go ahead and discard it, ONLY because YOU say so? Do you have that authority?
no body have the authority to discard any thing but the bibl shows what is right and what is wrong.

Any understanding that contradicts other parts of the bible is wrong.

For it to be the truth it has to pass freely through out the bible GENESIS to revelation without contradictions.
Peace
Re: It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion by truthislight: 8:17am On Oct 22, 2012
italo:

You mean what YOU THINK the Bible says - which is YOUR OPINION.

Afterall, you can possibly be wrong on what the Bible actually says, or can you not? Are you INFALLIBLE?

i dont need to have my own opinion, or force my own opinion into the bible, i only need to say what the bible supports GENESIS to revelation.

If i force my own opinion into the bible and my opinion was wrong can i reward myself with everlasting life?

If i cannot reward my self with eternal life, then i should be humble enough to stick to what God has said less i fall out from the truth, God's word is the truth.
John 17:17
Re: It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion by truthislight: 8:24am On Oct 22, 2012
italo:

Let me give an example. Enigma believes the Bible says Jesus is God. You believe the Bible says Jesus is not God. So which one is what the Bible actually says? Should we just take your own fallible opinion to be what the Bible says because your name is "Truthislight?"

which of the two goes freely from GENESIS to revelation without contradicting other bible portion?

Which of the two contradicts other bible portions?

From this analysis you arrived at the truth.

My stand is very simple:

Exodus 6:3 Yahweh = almighty God.

Isaiah 9:6 = Jesus mighty God. QED.

If you Go beyond that you are own you own.

*edited*
Re: It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion by Joagbaje(m): 8:54am On Oct 22, 2012
truthislight:

Romans 14:5
One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
Re: It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion by italo: 9:58am On Oct 22, 2012
truthislight:

which of the two goes freely from GENESIS to revelation without contradicting other bible portion?

To Enigma and some other people, "Jesus is God" is the proposition that goes freely from Genesis to Revelation without contradicting other Bible portions.

To you and some others, it is the 'Jesus is not God' proposition that does so.

truthislight: Which of the two contradicts other bible portions?

To Enigma and some others, "Jesus is not God" is the proposition that contradicts other Bible portions.

To you, it is the 'Jesus is God' proposition.

truthislight: From this analysis you arrived at the truth.

What truth can be arrived at from this confusing human opinions?

[quote author=truthislight]My stand is very simple:

Exodus 6:3 Yahweh = almighty God.

Isaiah 9:6 = Jesus mighty God. QED.

To you and some others, these verses show that Jesus is not God.

To Enigma and some others, the verses show that Jesus is God

Who then has the authority to tell us who's opinion or interpretation of what scripture says is true?

truthislight: If you Go begun that you are own you own.

Who are you to declare that I am on my own if I go beyond YOUR opinion. How do you know that in going beyond your opinion of what scripture says, God is not with me?

1 Like

Re: It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion by ogoamaka99(m): 12:31pm On Oct 22, 2012
It seems that truthislight is still confused about opinion. I still repeat it, your interpretation of the BIBLE is based on personal opinion and the reason why there are differences in interpretation of the BIBLE is as a result of differences in opinion. I am still saying that your opinion are determined by YOUR FAITH, YOUR LEVEL OF UNDERSTANDING, ETC . Look at what happened in Galatians 2:11 But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.
Gal 2:12 For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.
Gal 2:13 And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; so that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation.
Gal 2:14 But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter before them all, If you, being a Jew, live after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compel you the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?
Here Paul had confrontation with Peter over a doctrinal issue. This was so because PETER AND PAUL had differences over that issue.
Re: It Is A Matter Of Personal Opinion by italo: 4:05pm On Oct 22, 2012
@ Ogoamaka and Truthislight,

Very true, there was a confrontation on a doctrinal matter.

But how did they solve it?

Ogoamaka has been saying that each man should act according to his own opinion. Is that what Peter and Paul did? Did Peter go away and continue to live according to his opinion, while Paul went away living according to his own opinion?

Truthislight has been saying that we should look at what the Bible says (even though he hasn't been able to defend what he means by "what the Bible says"wink. Is that what Paul and Peter did? Did Peter and Paul search the Bible and come to an agreement on what it says?

How exactly did they solve this problem?

Perhaps we should learn from this Biblical example of solving doctrinal matters, shouldn't we?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Judas: The Truth / An Hilarious Testimony In The Church / Checkout These Funny Bible Meme History

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.