Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,125 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:44 PM

Senate Okays Life Sentence For Terrorists - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Okays Life Sentence For Terrorists (5206 Views)

Nigeria Military React to Bokoharm video Say No Safe Haven For Terrorists - DHQ / Sahara Reporters Work For Terrorists – Nigeria Army / Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Okays Life Sentence For Terrorists by supereagle(m): 5:22am On Oct 18, 2012
THE nation’s battle against terrorism got legislative boost yesterday as the Senate passed the amended version of the Anti-terrorism Bill forwarded by the Executive. The bill endorsed a life sentence for terrorists.

Presenting the report of the Joint Committee on National Security and Intelligence, Judiciary, Human Rights and Legal Matters and Drugs, Narcotics, Financial Crimes and Anti-Corruption, the Chairman, Senator Mohammed Magoro, said the committee endorsed that the Office of the National Security Adviser (NSA) “will be the co-ordinating body for counter-terrorism measures in the country; this is to ensure timely and well-co-ordinated response by all law enforcement and security agencies which are to continue to perform their statutory roles with respect to counter-terrorism and other violent acts in the country.”

The bill also touches on offences against Internationally-Protected Persons. According to the version that was passed yesterday, “the offences covered such as financing of terrorism and acts preparatory to or in furtherance of an act of terrorism; being an accessory to any offence under this Act; contributing to the commission of any act of terrorism have now been expressly provided for.”

The punishment for the offences have been made more stringent as some attract life imprisonment, others attract up to 10 years imprisonment depending on the magnitude.

The committee noted that the absence of a national co-ordinator had affected collaboration among security agencies fighting terrorism.

The amendments were passed by the chamber.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=101980:senate-okays-life-sentence-for-terrorists&catid=1:national&Itemid=559

1 Like

Re: Senate Okays Life Sentence For Terrorists by okosodo: 5:51am On Oct 18, 2012
They should be killed like the way jtf is doing it now, or can they imprison 20 million people for life?

1 Like

Re: Senate Okays Life Sentence For Terrorists by metrixexotic: 6:48am On Oct 18, 2012
They should be killed, if not another Government will come and give presidential pardon
Re: Senate Okays Life Sentence For Terrorists by Nobody: 6:50am On Oct 18, 2012
Are u sayin d whole northnas shld b impronsnd? Thats 2 harsh.
Re: Senate Okays Life Sentence For Terrorists by Nobody: 6:51am On Oct 18, 2012
what happens to kidnappers/pirates??
Re: Senate Okays Life Sentence For Terrorists by Meristem: 6:51am On Oct 18, 2012
Terrorism is a life-and-death matter. Life sentence is too lenient. Death sentence is better
Re: Senate Okays Life Sentence For Terrorists by Nobody: 6:52am On Oct 18, 2012
Why is life imprisonment the maximum sentence for terrorism in the country, in as much as I detest death sentence for any crimes committed in any society, I fully support death sentence for convicted terrorist, because they already chose the path of death through the way they carry out their terrorist acts like suicide bombing, and the way they have become a global problem. They shouldn't have a place in our prison too, they belong to the 6-feet under the ground. The life sentences for terrorists should be reviewed

2 Likes

Re: Senate Okays Life Sentence For Terrorists by Nobody: 6:53am On Oct 18, 2012
metrixexotic: They should be killed, if not another Government will come and give presidential pardon
You are right my broa
Re: Senate Okays Life Sentence For Terrorists by supereagle(m): 6:54am On Oct 18, 2012
acidosis™:
what happens to kidnappers/pirates??
I dont know why they ignore that.
Re: Senate Okays Life Sentence For Terrorists by Nobody: 6:54am On Oct 18, 2012
how do you give life sentences to ppl whom u r unable to catch?

the only boost should a complete restructuring of our security agencies: to ensure they are as efficient as the mopol that guard these thieves and the expatriates that work here..
Re: Senate Okays Life Sentence For Terrorists by Nobody: 6:54am On Oct 18, 2012
The question now is will the Judges agree to Call them what they are and Judge without sentiments
Re: Senate Okays Life Sentence For Terrorists by Nobody: 6:55am On Oct 18, 2012
danielchioboy: Are u sayin d whole northnas shld b impronsnd? Thats 2 harsh.
Very thoughtful, well put and relevant comment. I salute your intelligence.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Okays Life Sentence For Terrorists by sissa: 6:58am On Oct 18, 2012
They should imdately,cos another person try 2 do it again he wil fear dat we kill me.Bt if fed govt give them life sentese.may b day find way 2 out prison.kill dem istanly.

1 Like

Re: Senate Okays Life Sentence For Terrorists by mcnepow(m): 7:04am On Oct 18, 2012
Still waiting for the Amended Version of the Anti-Corruption Bill specifically for the Public Office Holders. . .
Re: Senate Okays Life Sentence For Terrorists by hydoo(m): 7:05am On Oct 18, 2012
monkey if u don't have something to say keep Quit,,,,bullshit
Re: Senate Okays Life Sentence For Terrorists by omenziate(m): 7:11am On Oct 18, 2012
This is far too lenient o, terrorists should b straight execution. No time.

1 Like

Re: Senate Okays Life Sentence For Terrorists by nifemi01(m): 7:18am On Oct 18, 2012
Thats a nice development, but they should also try to beef up security at prisons cos the rate at which boko boys set prisoners free is worrisome.
Infact i think a better idea will be to build a maximum security prison specifically for them.
On a different issue, howabout the senate set a definite jail time for stealing/looting public funds.
25-30 years wouldn't be a bad idea.
Re: Senate Okays Life Sentence For Terrorists by omowolewa: 7:24am On Oct 18, 2012
So they would enjoy 3square meals in a well secured Nigerian prison on the account of tax payers after killing tax payers family members willfully?!

Abeg,let them face the hangman.
Re: Senate Okays Life Sentence For Terrorists by Zutchy: 7:43am On Oct 18, 2012
Why life sentence,so that they will now go and sit down in the prison and be eating free food on taxpayers money,please you people should give them the death sentence.
Re: Senate Okays Life Sentence For Terrorists by agohavivi(f): 8:04am On Oct 18, 2012
What about kidnappers and those that engage in mob action? It's high time a stiff penalty is meted out on those guilty of theses heinous crimes as well.
Re: Senate Okays Life Sentence For Terrorists by mike404(m): 8:14am On Oct 18, 2012
cheesy
Re: Senate Okays Life Sentence For Terrorists by mike404(m): 8:19am On Oct 18, 2012
musKeeto:
Very thoughtful, well put and relevant comment. I salute your intelligence.
Every northern MUSLIM is a POTENTIAL TERRORISTS... I mean VAMP cheesy
Re: Senate Okays Life Sentence For Terrorists by MadCow1: 8:20am On Oct 18, 2012
Rubbish.....

For the fact that I know how weak and porous our legal system is, I will support this.. HOWEVER, they should fix the judiciary and change it to death by ALUU..

Tax-payers pay for the upkeep of prisoners..
Re: Senate Okays Life Sentence For Terrorists by smartusman: 8:34am On Oct 18, 2012
It is very possible 4 the terrorists to carry out their terror acts in d prison
Re: Senate Okays Life Sentence For Terrorists by slimpoppa(m): 8:37am On Oct 18, 2012
That's way too lenient, death sentence should be the least punishment. At least after lynching.
Re: Senate Okays Life Sentence For Terrorists by slimpoppa(m): 8:50am On Oct 18, 2012
Thats way too lenient. The least punishment should be death sentence.
Re: Senate Okays Life Sentence For Terrorists by slimpoppa(m): 8:51am On Oct 18, 2012
That's way too lenient, death sentence should be the least punishment. At least after lynching.
Re: Senate Okays Life Sentence For Terrorists by lacicrips(m): 9:00am On Oct 18, 2012
Death sentence for somone who already wants to die? I don't see the sense in that. Life sentence should work just fine.
Re: Senate Okays Life Sentence For Terrorists by ikdpal(m): 9:18am On Oct 18, 2012
lets do this i like it..Death Sentence! u ar welcom..its about time everybody bcame careful.
Re: Senate Okays Life Sentence For Terrorists by fm7070: 9:23am On Oct 18, 2012
this indicates that most of this Senate members knows who these terrorists are.
After giving them life imprisonment, they will go and release them the usual way.
Re: Senate Okays Life Sentence For Terrorists by monopolist: 9:42am On Oct 18, 2012
TERRIORISTS AND TREASURY LOOTERS ARE THE SAME.
Re: Senate Okays Life Sentence For Terrorists by anonimi: 9:51am On Oct 18, 2012
Finally the loafers and bench warmers aka legisLOOTERs finally get to do their job of law making.
Brave!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Reason(s) Why US Is Scared Of Nigeria / PDP Releases Face Of Soldier Used By APC To Rig Election In Ogoni,Rivers(photos) / JUST IN!!! Onnoghen Linked To Atiku's Meeting In Dubai With Saraki, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.