Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:43 AM

What Is God Called In The Arabic Translation Of The Bible? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is God Called In The Arabic Translation Of The Bible? (10398 Views)

When You Think That God Called You Into The Ministry But... (pic) / How Do I Know God Called Me / A Man Of God Called Rain Down During A Crusade. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is God Called In The Arabic Translation Of The Bible? by maclatunji: 4:31pm On Oct 18, 2012
Hello my dear friends. Would you be kind enough to answer me question?

2 Likes

Re: What Is God Called In The Arabic Translation Of The Bible? by tpia5: 4:44pm On Oct 18, 2012
you sound like the walrus in AIW.

"with sobs and tears he sorted out, those of the largest size"

Anyway, God is probably translated as Allah in the Arabic bible, since that's the common terminology used to refer to Him by Arabs.

the info should be on google btw.
Re: What Is God Called In The Arabic Translation Of The Bible? by maclatunji: 4:49pm On Oct 18, 2012
tpia@:
you sound like the walrus in AIW.

"with sobs and tears he sorted out, those of the largest size"

Anyway, God is probably translated as Allah in the Arabic bible, since that's the common terminology used to refer to Him by Arabs.

the info should be on google btw.

You know I am not a Christian, I don't want to be accused of misrepresenting the religion. Hence, I have decided to ask its adherents. Going by your logic, new threads shouldn't be created on Nairaland because the same information can almost always be found on Google.
Re: What Is God Called In The Arabic Translation Of The Bible? by tpia5: 4:51pm On Oct 18, 2012
"the info should be on google"

is different from

"dont open a thread about this because the info is on google"

in any case, since when does any nler pay attention to my opinion?

i dont control anybody's finger or keyboard talkless regulating what they type.

1 Like

Re: What Is God Called In The Arabic Translation Of The Bible? by maclatunji: 4:59pm On Oct 18, 2012
tpia@:
"the info should be on google"

is different from

"dont open a thread about this because the info is on google"

in any case, since when does any nler pay attention to my opinion?

i dont control anybody's finger or keyboard talkless regulating what they type.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Re: What Is God Called In The Arabic Translation Of The Bible? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Oct 18, 2012
Maclatunji?

Are you rebranding yourself? What are you doing in this section?

Anyways, the answer is Allah!
Re: What Is God Called In The Arabic Translation Of The Bible? by tobtap: 5:33pm On Oct 18, 2012
Allah in arabic refer to a god...but not the God of the bible.....http://www.arabbible.com/t-Allah.aspx visit the link and u will understand better
Re: What Is God Called In The Arabic Translation Of The Bible? by Sweetnecta: 7:19pm On Oct 18, 2012
@Tobtap: ^^^ how you can say muslims have god and you people of bibles have God is dishonesty because on one hand, THE ALLAH of ISLAM in HIS Quran produced the best Arabic even your Bible have to borrow the words. Further how do you make a decision of lower case or upper case of arabic letters/ words especially when it is the muslims Quran that can let anyone know which letter in a word can not be lower case, even if it is an idol like the names of the 5 idols in Surah Noah and 3 idols in Surah The Star.

Then Moses said to God, "Behold, I am going to the sons of Israel, and I will say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you.'
Now they may say to me, 'What is His name?'
What shall I say to them?"

God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM"; and He said,
"Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel,
'I AM has sent me to you.'

God, furthermore, said to Moses, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, 'The LORD (YHWH), the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac,
and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.' This is My name forever,
and this is My memorial-name to all generations.

Exodus 3:13-15
remember there is no YHWH in what the bold commands. I wonder how you guys and the jews come up with YHWH? does anyone know what YHWH is and if you say YAHWEH get me Yahweh from the lips of Jesus son of Mary when he cried out on the cross and where is Yahweh in Hallelujah.

If the God of Israel said to Moses that He is to be called "I AM", why do you guys call Him any other names? Including Yahweh/YHWH are all fake according to the instruction that "I AM" is the right Name from the instruction given to Moses.

God is Correct and all of you; jews and christians are wrong for calling Him any other name.

Actually "I AM" can not be a proper name. YHWH/YAWHEH cant be a proper name either. Yahweh seem to indicate The Ya of Arabic meaning {Oh} and Huwa of Arabic meaning [IT IS}. Yahweh/YHWH and {YA HUWA} can never be a proper name.

And when the arab christians are being cony using Alif LaamAlif to say AL il is dishonest of the highest order because this may be describing their God while we the users of Quran they borrow its grammar to formulate their bibles know who is god and Who is God. Allah Subhannah wa Ta'ala is God while other Gods are just gods as in man made Gods.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is God Called In The Arabic Translation Of The Bible? by maclatunji: 7:30pm On Oct 18, 2012
Logicboy03: Maclatunji?

Rebranding? I am always me. I really have to ask the question because not every Arab is Muslim and some Christians are Arabs, I have to ask what they call God in their Arabic Bible.
Re: What Is God Called In The Arabic Translation Of The Bible? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Oct 18, 2012
maclatunji:

Rebranding? I am always me. I really have to ask the question because not every Arab is Muslim and some Christians are Arabs, I have to ask what they call God in their Arabic Bible.

Well, I see no harm in your question.....Carry on!
Re: What Is God Called In The Arabic Translation Of The Bible? by truthislight: 7:38pm On Oct 18, 2012
Logicboy03: Maclatunji?

that may be the answer to the op.

However, the word Allah is not a name but a title.

Quran does not have a name for it's God.

The word "God" is not a name but a title.

Peace
Re: What Is God Called In The Arabic Translation Of The Bible? by Nobody: 7:39pm On Oct 18, 2012
truthislight:

Peace

I agree.
Re: What Is God Called In The Arabic Translation Of The Bible? by Ubenedictus(m): 7:48pm On Oct 18, 2012
maclatunji: Hello my dear friends. Would you be kind enough to answer me question?
i believe d name is allah, allah d almight etc
Re: What Is God Called In The Arabic Translation Of The Bible? by truthislight: 7:52pm On Oct 18, 2012
Sweetnecta: @Tobtap: ^^^ how you can say muslims have god and you people of bibles have God is dishonesty because on one hand, THE ALLAH of ISLAM in HIS Quran produced the best Arabic even your Bible have to borrow the words. Further how do you make a decision of lower case or upper case of arabic letters/ words especially when it is the muslims Quran that can let anyone know which letter in a word can not be lower case, even if it is an idol like the names of the 5 idols in Surah Noah and 3 idols in Surah The Star.

remember there is no YHWH in what the bold commands. I wonder how you guys and the jews come up with YHWH? does anyone know what YHWH is and if you say YAHWEH get me Yahweh from the lips of Jesus son of Mary when he cried out on the cross and where is Yahweh in Hallelujah.

If the God of Israel said to Moses that He is to be called "I AM", why do you guys call Him any other names? Including Yahweh/YHWH are all fake according to the instruction that "I AM" is the right Name from the instruction given to Moses.

God is Correct and all of you; jews and christians are wrong for calling Him any other name.

Actually "I AM" can not be a proper name. YHWH/YAWHEH cant be a proper name either. Yahweh seem to indicate The Ya of Arabic meaning {Oh} and Huwa of Arabic meaning [IT IS}. Yahweh/YHWH and {YA HUWA} can never be a proper name.

And when the arab christians are being cony using Alif LaamAlif to say AL il is dishonest of the highest order because this may be describing their God while we the users of Quran they borrow its grammar to formulate their bibles know who is god and Who is God. Allah Subhannah wa Ta'ala is God while other Gods are just gods as in man made Gods.

the Hebrew word has no vowels but was written in symbols.

Eg. bLDG = building. But 100 years from now the meaning may get mixed up without vowels, but this does not NEGET the fact that it was "once" pronounce as building and does not mean that the word bLDG had a meaning.

As important as the name of God is, it can not be lost completely that the tribe that had the sense of it pronunciation will not know and passed it along from generation to generation.
Re: What Is God Called In The Arabic Translation Of The Bible? by maclatunji: 7:54pm On Oct 18, 2012
tobtap: Allah in arabic refer to a god...but not the God of the bible.....http://www.arabbible.com/t-Allah.aspx visit the link and u will understand better

tobtap: Allah in arabic refer to a god...but not the God of the bible.....http://www.arabbible.com/t-Allah.aspx visit the link and u will understand better

Your link says that the first Bible translation called God, "Allah" whilst those who came later changed it to Al-Illah which means "The god" by what I see. That's a curious edition done because I wouldn't be comfortable if my religious Scripture calls God- "The god".

I think I would rather go with the first translator. By the way, an Arab Christian calling God, "Allah" doesn't make him a Muslim because his belief that human beings were created in "God's" image and the Trinity would ensure that. So, there's really no need for the dissertation in that page your link goes to.
Re: What Is God Called In The Arabic Translation Of The Bible? by tpia5: 7:58pm On Oct 18, 2012
truthislight:

Peace

If Allah is a title, then what is the actual Arabic name for God ie the creator deity.

Should one assume the jewish El which means lord, has the same syntax as the arabic Al.

Hold on while i doublecheck that.
Re: What Is God Called In The Arabic Translation Of The Bible? by truthislight: 8:24pm On Oct 18, 2012
tpia@:

If Allah is a title, then what is the actual Arabic name for God ie the creator deity.

Should one assume the jewish El which means lord, has the same syntax as the arabic Al.

Hold on while i doublecheck that.

note what i had said. That "quran does not have a name for it God"

i have not gone beyond that yet.
Re: What Is God Called In The Arabic Translation Of The Bible? by tiarabubu: 8:45pm On Oct 18, 2012
@Maclatunji

I sense some sinister motive in your question. grin

Anyway,God is referred to in Arabic translation of the Bible as Allah, or more often these days as Allāh al-ʾAb

Due to you guys' penchant for appropriating prophets, places and names, please note the following;

(i) The term Allāh is derived from the Arabic definite article al- "the" and ilāh "deity, god" to al-lāh meaning "the [sole] deity, God"

(ii)The name "Allah" predates Islam as the term was first used by pagan Meccans (Arabic Speakers) as a reference to a creator deity, possibly the supreme deity in pre-Islamic Arabia - L. Gardet, "Allah", Encyclopedia of Islam

(iii) With the coming of Islam, the existing term Allah was still used to describe the Supreme God (as defined in Islam). In effect, the term Allah, is generic, referring to a supreme deity.

(iv) Arab Christians today use terms such as Allāh al-ʾAb (God the Father) to distinguish their usage from Muslim usage.

(v) In most of Northern Nigeria, where the word for supreme deity in the Hausa lingual-franca is Allah (imported from Arabic as a result of Islamic influences), the local non-Muslim population, apply it in its generic term as Allah, or more common these days and like the Arab Christians, use the term Allah Uba (God the Father), or Ubangiji (Heavenly Father)

(vi) Unfortunately, despite the origin of the term Allah, not a few Churches in Malaysia have been firebombed by Muslims in protest of the use of the word Allah by Christians despite the fact the Courts agreed that the term Allah predated Islam and is a generic term for the supreme deity shocked

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1952497,00.html

http://www.thenational.ae/news/world/asia-pacific/malay-churches-firebombed-in-riots-over-non-muslim-use-of-allah

Over to you Maclatunji
Re: What Is God Called In The Arabic Translation Of The Bible? by Sweetnecta: 9:02pm On Oct 18, 2012
@Truthislight:
the Hebrew word has no vowels but was written in symbols.
big deal and that does not make it perfect since it was a dead language because there is no single revelation in it as it was in its original. Know that even the famous "tablets of the 10 commandments" are already lost indicating how careless these people are. I am sure that whatever Jesus son of Mary brought, the jews were not smart enough to record it, perfectly. It has to be the "according to" document you guys are taking as the original revelation or saying of Jesus. Words do not have to have vowels before you know what it means in your mother tongue, but its place in the sentence structure. please write sweetnecta in 2 different ways to demonstrate to me the one that its more important to me and the one i dont care about. i get to decide which one is what i prefer to be known as.

Eg. bLDG = building. But 100 years from now the meaning may get mixed up without vowels,
see why you have corruption? blDG could mean something else to those people whose trade is not about building. a dog groomer may say is bull dog while contractor says its building. You see why comforter the spirit of truth from God is a true prophet of God given revelation to teach new things, correct lies, etc?

but this does not NEGET the fact that it was "once" pronounce as building and does not mean that the word bLDG had a meaning.
if you an attorney dealing with financial matters, building will not come to mind, but a company name or something like that. You see why a word must be written down properly, completely in its original text?

As important as the name of God is, it can not be lost completely that the tribe that had the sense of it pronunciation will not know and passed it along from generation to generation.
have you ever met a jew? go to the biggest rabbi and ask him to tell you the Name of God and see if he knows it. Allah the Almighty knows how terrible they are. They killed and insulted many prophets [as]. They are still insulting Jesus [as] and his mother Mary up till this moment. They didnt just blew the chance of knowing the Name of Allah, the build an idol in form of cow and guess what they must have called it as they were worshiping it; you guess it, yhwh. It is no surprise that they did not keep pure the revelation of God on them that they corrupted what Moses was given. They abused Jesus and nothing good from those fake believers, who hideously made God that they disobey from Egypt to Canaan and still disobeying Him now a tribal God as if before Isaac no one knew that God exist.

Did you forget along with them that even before man was created by God, the creations that were existing knew God exist and He has a Proper Name and not the I AM that is improper since humans mind can only capture "proper" Name? What do think Adam [as] and Eve called their Lord, I AM? What do you think Noah called his God, "I AM"? Allah The Almighty has other Names which are descriptive of His ESSENCE. We see 99 directly. But you can form many more like ADDING 2 Names to Come up with another and ONLY HE knows how many Names and ways you can describe Him so that the listeners will know you are not talking about any creation; those who cry, get hungry and needing God and those who are powerless on their own power.

Jesus let us know that the Name of his God is not Yahweh but Allah [Ellah] as in the Ellah, Ellah. . .

And truthislight has the gut to say "Quran does not have the Name of "it" God". so what do you think Allah is if its not the Name of THE GOD in "it" [The Quran]? You will Islam more than Quran? Tell what The God calls Himself if Not ALLAH? Pick any chapter, any verse He says I AM ALLAH.
Re: What Is God Called In The Arabic Translation Of The Bible? by tpia5: 10:02pm On Oct 18, 2012
truthislight:

note what i had said. That "quran does not have a name for it God"

i have not gone beyond that yet.

alright then.

i dont know if you're muslim or christian btw, since i havent checked your previous posts.

i do know you comment in muslim section.
Re: What Is God Called In The Arabic Translation Of The Bible? by maclatunji: 10:54pm On Oct 18, 2012
tiarabubu: @Maclatunji

Anyway,God is referred to in Arabic translation of the Bible as Allah, or more often these days as Allāh al-ʾAb

Due to you guys' penchant for appropriating prophets, places and names, please note the following;

(i) The term Allāh is derived from the Arabic definite article al- "the" and ilāh "deity, god" to al-lāh meaning "the [sole] deity, God"

(ii)The name "Allah" predates Islam as the term was first used by pagan Meccans (Arabic Speakers) as a reference to a creator deity, possibly the supreme deity in pre-Islamic Arabia - L. Gardet, "Allah", Encyclopedia of Islam

(iii) With the coming of Islam, the existing term Allah was still used to describe the Supreme God (as defined in Islam). In effect, the term Allah, is generic, referring to a supreme deity.

(iv) Arab Christians today use terms such as Allāh al-ʾAb (God the Father) to distinguish their usage from Muslim usage.

(v) In most of Northern Nigeria, where the word for supreme deity in the Hausa lingual-franca is Allah (imported from Arabic as a result of Islamic influences), the local non-Muslim population, apply it in its generic term as Allah, or more common these days and like the Arab Christians, use the term Allah Uba (God the Father), or Ubangiji (Heavenly Father)

(vi) Unfortunately, despite the origin of the term Allah, not a few Churches in Malaysia have been firebombed by Muslims in protest of the use of the word Allah by Christians despite the fact the Courts agreed that the term Allah predated Islam and is a generic term for the supreme deity shocked

http://www.thenational.ae/news/world/asia-pacific/malay-churches-firebombed-in-riots-over-non-muslim-use-of-allah

Over to you Maclatunji

No intention to derail the topic but Islam predates Prophet. Muhammad (SAW). If I wanted to create sparks, there are several topics I could create in this section to achieve that.

Sweetheart, I haven't caused trouble here. The thread has been cordial so far. Don't start on a confrontational note.
Re: What Is God Called In The Arabic Translation Of The Bible? by Sweetnecta: 11:15pm On Oct 18, 2012
@tiarabubu:
by tiarabubu: 8:45pm
@Maclatunji

tell me the differences between your post and the one below, from Islamic position since you are not even a muslim.

by tiarabubu: 8:45pm
@Maclatunji

Anyway,God is referred to in Arabic translation of the Bible as allah, or more often these days as allāh Al-ʾab

(i) The term allāh is derived from the Arabic definite article Al- "the" and Ilāh "deity, god" to Al-lāh meaning "the [sole] deity, God"

(ii)The name "allah" predates Islam as the term was first used by pagan Meccans (Arabic Speakers) as a reference to a creator deity, possibly the supreme deity in pre-Islamic Arabia - L. Gardet, "allah", Encyclopedia of Islam

(iii) With the coming of Islam, the existing term allah was still used to describe the Supreme God (as defined in Islam). In effect, the term allah, is generic, referring to a supreme deity.

(iv) Arab Christians today use terms such as allāh Al-ʾab (God the Father) to distinguish their usage from Muslim usage.

(v) In most of Northern Nigeria, where the word for supreme deity in the Hausa lingual-franca is Allah (imported from Arabic as a result of Islamic influences), the local non-Muslim population, apply it in its generic term as allah, or more common these days and like the Arab Christians, use the term allah Uba (God the Father), or Ubangiji (Heavenly Father)

(vi) Unfortunately, despite the origin of the term allah, not a few Churches in Malaysia have been firebombed by Muslims in protest of the use of the word allah by Christians despite the fact the Courts agreed that the term allah predated Islam and is a generic term for the supreme deity shocked

http://www.thenational.ae/news/world/asia-pacific/malay-churches-firebombed-in-riots-over-non-muslim-use-of-Allah

In your post, where ever you wrote Allah and allah, I however replaced them by allah and Allah respectively in my own version. The questions for you are these:
Is there difference between post and my version of the same post? Let me

Is there a difference between your post and my version?

Let me ask you if there is a difference between tiarabubu and Tiarabubu? which one is your name and the one that is not your name, why is t not?

you know, a friend was just telling me that if you transmit TEXT or email, etc in all caps, it is considered that you are yelling at the recipient. How about that. so if I write an email where i say JEHOVAH LOVES YOU, or ALLAH BLESS YOU, can you imagine what i am doing?

I am writing to junior the father of Senior. Both are my friends. what i am going to say is that junior should whoop Senior for misbehaving this afternoon.
Re: What Is God Called In The Arabic Translation Of The Bible? by CrazyMan(m): 11:20pm On Oct 18, 2012
maclatunji: Hello my dear friends. Would you be kind enough to answer me question?
Allah is the Arabic word for God and has been so long before the existence of Islam.
Re: What Is God Called In The Arabic Translation Of The Bible? by tiarabubu: 12:11am On Oct 19, 2012
Sweetnecta: @tiarabubu: tell me the differences between your post and the one below, from Islamic position since you are not even a muslim.

In your post, where ever you wrote Allah and allah, I however replaced them by allah and Allah respectively in my own version. The questions for you are these:
Is there difference between post and my version of the same post? Let me

Is there a difference between your post and my version?

Let me ask you if there is a difference between tiarabubu and Tiarabubu? which one is your name and the one that is not your name, why is t not?

you know, a friend was just telling me that if you transmit TEXT or email, etc in all caps, it is considered that you are yelling at the recipient. How about that. so if I write an email where i say JEHOVAH LOVES YOU, or ALLAH BLESS YOU, can you imagine what i am doing?

I am writing to junior the father of Senior. Both are my friends. what i am going to say is that junior should whoop Senior for misbehaving this afternoon.

Sir, as you are aware when using proper nouns such as names, the first letter is written in capital. I am just doing that. I don't think it affects the import of my message.
Re: What Is God Called In The Arabic Translation Of The Bible? by tiarabubu: 12:19am On Oct 19, 2012
maclatunji:

No intention to derail the topic but Islam predates Prophet. Muhammad (SAW). If I wanted to create sparks, there are several topics I could create in this section to achieve that.

Sweetheart, I haven't caused trouble here. The thread has been cordial so far. Don't start on a confrontational note.

Ore Maclatunji. Of course, you haven't caused any trouble(to me oh!). And the thread is cordial and so is my response (I started on a jocular note). I am just stating the facts as I have studied them in response to your question.

I must say though that the conclusion(s) of some findings may not rub you the right way. But state them I must to address your questions. I am sorry in advance. Its done in good faith. wink
Re: What Is God Called In The Arabic Translation Of The Bible? by maclatunji: 7:11am On Oct 19, 2012
tiarabubu:

Ore Maclatunji. Of course, you haven't caused any trouble(to me oh!). And the thread is cordial and so is my response (I started on a jocular note). I am just stating the facts as I have studied them in response to your question.

I must say though that the conclusion(s) of some findings may not rub you the right way. But state them I must to address your questions. I am sorry in advance. Its done in good faith. wink

I was joking, "pulling your legs". I appreciate the effort made not to upset me though. #LOL

From the Islamic perspective, God does not compromise on his unity or if you like uniqueness and unquestionable authority. Hence, Allah is his favourite name because it defines just that.
Re: What Is God Called In The Arabic Translation Of The Bible? by tiarabubu: 9:51am On Oct 19, 2012
maclatunji:

I was joking, "pulling your legs". I appreciate the effort made not to upset me though. #LOL

From the Islamic perspective, God does not compromise on his unity or if you like uniqueness and unquestionable authority. Hence, Allah is his favourite name because it defines just that.

I like your opening phrase - from the Islamic perspective- cause it helps define your meaning and line of thought.

Now,do you think its an aberration for Arab non-Muslims to use the term Allah? As they (Arab Non-Muslims)see it its root is from pre-Islamic Arab and is generically meant to describe "the supreme deity"? Do you think that since Islam uses it to denote God (from the Islamic perspective), its meaning is unique to Islam and therefore not proper to be used to denote God from another religious perspective?

Whats your take. In fact, let me come clean; I am itching to find out, why did you ask the question in the first place? cheesy

1 Like

Re: What Is God Called In The Arabic Translation Of The Bible? by Sweetnecta: 9:53am On Oct 19, 2012
@tiarabubu:
by tiarabubu: 12:11am

Sir, as you are aware when using proper nouns such as names, the first letter is written in capital. I am just doing that. I don't think it affects the import of my message.
So if proper noun starts with Capital letter, when God of the Muslims in The Quran says He is Allah, why write allah [even if you believe me are idolaters] and in the case of God of the Christians you write Allah?

Do you think Adam [as] called his God no Name or I AM? What about Enoch, Noah, Ibrahim, Ismail, Isiaq, Yaqub, Yusuf [as] each of them prophets in Islam before the Bibles say that God of Israel who is God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob said His Name is "I AM"? Is I am a proper name to you?

You people cant even write I AM in the language that Moses spoke or what Jesus spoke and see if it makes sense as Name of God. Then you compound this confusing giving me YHWH as a Name. Worse, you are told that His Name is ALLAH, but your prejudice reduced that to something you toy with.

Heck. I will leave you to maclatunji to console you if i upset you. You may just as well become a muslim and you will see your fortune skyrocketed with a ready made . . . . .
Re: What Is God Called In The Arabic Translation Of The Bible? by tiarabubu: 10:08am On Oct 19, 2012
^^^^^

Egbon, you are leaving the main issue and skirting around innuendos!

Apart from the structural breakdown of the word "Allah" in its constituent part as done in (i) of my post, where else was "Allah" spelt with a small "a".

Focus on the main issue, please.
Re: What Is God Called In The Arabic Translation Of The Bible? by maclatunji: 10:23am On Oct 19, 2012
tiarabubu:

I like your opening phrase - from the Islamic perspective- cause it helps define your meaning and line of thought.

Now,do you think its an aberration for Arab non-Muslims to use the term Allah? As they (Arab Non-Muslims)see it its root is from pre-Islamic Arab and is generically meant to describe "the supreme deity"? Do you think that since Islam uses it to denote God (from the Islamic perspective), its meaning is unique to Islam and therefore not proper to be used to denote God from another religious perspective?

Whats your take. In fact, let me come clean; I am itching to find out, why did you ask the question in the first place? cheesy

To see what Christians think/know about the topic. I see some type Allah is not God and from a linguistic point of view I am like: Don't you know that there is an Arabic translation of the Bible? What name is God called there? A lot of people who make such comments are hopelessly ignorant and suffer from myopic reasoning.
Re: What Is God Called In The Arabic Translation Of The Bible? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Oct 19, 2012
tiarabubu:

Here comes the proper arguement.
Hihuu!
Re: What Is God Called In The Arabic Translation Of The Bible? by tiarabubu: 12:54pm On Oct 19, 2012
maclatunji:

To see what Christians think/know about the topic. I see some type Allah is not God and from a linguistic point of view I am like: Don't you know that there is an Arabic translation of the Bible? What name is God called there? A lot of people who make such comments are hopelessly ignorant and suffer from myopic reasoning.

^^^^

Have you considered that if the topic in view is linguistic based then of course they may be wrong. However, if the issue at hand is not, then maybe their point is that the God they know is not the same as Allah as understood by Muslims. For the Arabs, Allah (understood as God) is a neutral term only enhanced by its use within the context of faith. Eg when a Muslim says Allah (SWT) he means the Supreme God as defined by the Koran. If a non Muslim says Allah al Ab or Allah Uba he means Supreme God as defined by his faith.

While not holding brief for anybody, what I understand some to mean is that the concept of God in their belief is not the same as the concept of God (Allah) in Islam. Look at it this way; if the word Allah was used in pre-Islamic pagan Arabia, was their concept of "Allah" the same as that expressed in the Koran? No, I don't think so. They may have meant supreme deity; but of what kind? I don't think it tallies with the attributes of Allah as defined in the Koran.

If they (Christians) say Allah doesn't mean God, then they may be linguistically incorrect. But what naturally follows is, what are the attributes of this Supreme Being they want to refer to?

Many would argue that the attributes Christians and Muslims claim for God are different hence we cannot be referring to the same thing. Another school of thought will say that we all refer to the same God but go to him through different routes. It will be an endless debate which will be highlighted and fueled by the so many things we see around us today.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

8 Important Ways We Can Be Delivered Totally From Sins / Does It Mean That All My Prayers Are Not Being Answered? / Pre-birth Memories - Life Before Birth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.