Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,792 members, 7,810,063 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:47 PM

Egypt Teacher Cuts Hair Of Schoolgirls For Not Wearing Muslim Hijab - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Egypt Teacher Cuts Hair Of Schoolgirls For Not Wearing Muslim Hijab (1991 Views)

Muslims Protecting A Catholic Church In Egypt During Mass / 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class / Black Women Wearing Muslim Head Scarf (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Egypt Teacher Cuts Hair Of Schoolgirls For Not Wearing Muslim Hijab by ParisLove1: 3:18pm On Oct 19, 2012

A woman wearing the full Islamic face veil has cut the hair of two school girls as punishment for not wearing the headscarf. (Photo courtesy of www.globalgiving.org)

By The Associated Press
A teacher in southern Egypt punished two 12-year-old schoolgirls for not wearing the Muslim headscarfby cutting their hair, the father of one girl said Wednesday, in an incident that stokes concerns over personal rights following the rise of Islamist political movements.

The governor of Luxor province where the incident occurred called the teacher's actions “shameful” and said she had been transferred to another school. But rights groups say that some Islamic conservatives have been emboldened by the success of groups like Muslim Brotherhood and the ultraconservative Salafi trend in parliamentary and presidential elections and have been increasingly brazen about forcing their standards on other Egyptians.

The incident follows a surge in legal cases against Egyptians, mostly Christians, who allegedly showed contempt for religion. The trial of one, Alber Saber, opened Wednesday but was postponed.

It also comes amid a fierce debate over how the roleof religion will be defined in the country's new constitution. The preponderance of Islamists on the panel drafting the document has alarmed liberals and religious minorities.

In the village of Qurna in Luxor province, 500 kilometers (300 miles) south of Cairo, father Berbesh Khairi El-Rawi said the teacher forced the two girls to stand with their hands above their heads for two hours and then cut their hair in their school.

Read More
Re: Egypt Teacher Cuts Hair Of Schoolgirls For Not Wearing Muslim Hijab by wiegraf: 3:38pm On Oct 19, 2012
Islam is a religion of peace and tolerance.
There is no compulsion in religion
They are not true muslims
Muslims simply don't give a f**k, and will reach heaven over your burning, screaming corpse/soul

You can add more reasons, excuses, illogic to justify their actions here....
Re: Egypt Teacher Cuts Hair Of Schoolgirls For Not Wearing Muslim Hijab by Nobody: 3:47pm On Oct 19, 2012
Islam is a religion of peace. The girl's hair was haraam. Imagine the insult of showing her face in public?

grin
Re: Egypt Teacher Cuts Hair Of Schoolgirls For Not Wearing Muslim Hijab by wiegraf: 4:07pm On Oct 19, 2012
Logicboy03: Islam is a religion of peace. The girl's hair was haraam. Imagine the insult of showing her face in public?

grin

Considering her age she should be married sef. Imagine her tempting all those boys and alhaji's with her hair.... Maybe even some females...haram!

~Disgusting, shameless hair of girl-waifu material, icky~
Re: Egypt Teacher Cuts Hair Of Schoolgirls For Not Wearing Muslim Hijab by Nobody: 4:09pm On Oct 19, 2012
wiegraf:

Considering her age she should be married sef. Imagine her tempting all those boys and alhaji's with her hair.... Maybe even some females...haram!

You're right.

I dont know what is wrong with these unruly young muslim girls of nowadays!

I think it is hollywood movies that are causing these haraam behaviours

grin grin grin grin
Re: Egypt Teacher Cuts Hair Of Schoolgirls For Not Wearing Muslim Hijab by ParisLove2(f): 5:05pm On Oct 19, 2012
You two thinks this some joke? angry angry angry
Re: Egypt Teacher Cuts Hair Of Schoolgirls For Not Wearing Muslim Hijab by wiegraf: 5:12pm On Oct 19, 2012
Paris-Love:
So?
Re: Egypt Teacher Cuts Hair Of Schoolgirls For Not Wearing Muslim Hijab by Nobody: 5:43pm On Oct 19, 2012
Paris-Love:

The hijab is not a joking matter!

Women must be covered! angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Egypt Teacher Cuts Hair Of Schoolgirls For Not Wearing Muslim Hijab by Sisterfatie(f): 6:14pm On Oct 19, 2012
wiegraf:

abi o. Shey d girl does not know dat men are weak pathetic figures dat can't control their sexual urges, she should be punished severely for trying to seduce men,foolish girl.

2 Likes

Re: Egypt Teacher Cuts Hair Of Schoolgirls For Not Wearing Muslim Hijab by Sisterfatie(f): 6:16pm On Oct 19, 2012
Paris-Love:
don't u recognize sarcarsm?

1 Like

Re: Egypt Teacher Cuts Hair Of Schoolgirls For Not Wearing Muslim Hijab by ParisLove2(f): 6:21pm On Oct 19, 2012
Sister fatie:
don't u recognize sarcarsm?
I should be asking you that.
Re: Egypt Teacher Cuts Hair Of Schoolgirls For Not Wearing Muslim Hijab by ParisLove2(f): 6:24pm On Oct 19, 2012
Logicboy03:

The hijab is not a joking matter!

Women must be covered! angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

I now understand why. Just like sis faty said "men are weak pathetic figures dat can't control their intimate urges" angry angry angry
Re: Egypt Teacher Cuts Hair Of Schoolgirls For Not Wearing Muslim Hijab by maclatunji: 12:05am On Oct 20, 2012
^With you, that might not be much of a lie, who knows?
Re: Egypt Teacher Cuts Hair Of Schoolgirls For Not Wearing Muslim Hijab by ParisLove2(f): 12:48am On Oct 20, 2012
maclatunji: ^With you, that might not be much of a lie, who knows?
If Islamic veils for women are deemed by Islamic logic necessary to prevent a woman arousing lust in a man, why are men also not enjoined to wear a burqa to prevent women and homosexuals from lusting after them? Eh macmisogynist?
Re: Egypt Teacher Cuts Hair Of Schoolgirls For Not Wearing Muslim Hijab by maclatunji: 6:46am On Oct 20, 2012
Paris-Love:
If Islamic veils for women are deemed by Islamic logic necessary to prevent a woman arousing lust in a man, why are men also not enjoined to wear a burqa to prevent women and homosexuals from lusting after them? Eh macmisogynist?

Your question is enough evidence of your ignorance by itself. You might as well ask me why an engine burns fuel to work. Your intellectual capacity is too weak for me to start brushing-up. Show some improvement and I might just help you out. tongue
Re: Egypt Teacher Cuts Hair Of Schoolgirls For Not Wearing Muslim Hijab by ParisLove2(f): 9:56am On Oct 20, 2012
If you can't answer the question, get out of this thread and stay very far away from it!

1 Like

Re: Egypt Teacher Cuts Hair Of Schoolgirls For Not Wearing Muslim Hijab by Nobody: 12:27pm On Oct 20, 2012
Paris_Love:
A woman wearing the full Islamic face veil has cut the hair of two school girls as punishment for not wearing the headscarf. (Photo courtesy of www.globalgiving.org)

By The Associated Press
A teacher in southern Egypt punished two 12-year-old schoolgirls for not wearing the Muslim headscarfby cutting their hair, the father of one girl said Wednesday, in an incident that stokes concerns over personal rights following the rise of Islamist political movements.

The governor of Luxor province where the incident occurred called the teacher's actions “shameful” and said she had been transferred to another school. But rights groups say that some Islamic conservatives have been emboldened by the success of groups like Muslim Brotherhood and the ultraconservative Salafi trend in parliamentary and presidential elections and have been increasingly brazen about forcing their standards on other Egyptians.

The incident follows a surge in legal cases against Egyptians, mostly Christians, who allegedly showed contempt for religion. The trial of one, Alber Saber, opened Wednesday but was postponed.

It also comes amid a fierce debate over how the roleof religion will be defined in the country's new constitution. The preponderance of Islamists on the panel drafting the document has alarmed liberals and religious minorities.

In the village of Qurna in Luxor province, 500 kilometers (300 miles) south of Cairo, father Berbesh Khairi El-Rawi said the teacher forced the two girls to stand with their hands above their heads for two hours and then cut their hair in their school.

Read More
slavery
Re: Egypt Teacher Cuts Hair Of Schoolgirls For Not Wearing Muslim Hijab by ghazzal: 12:19pm On Oct 22, 2012
is it part of school regulation to wear hijab? ... no one seems to be asking that Question.

in my Pry school, all non-white socks were seized, all non green or white sweaters were seized.

in my sec. school, all footwears must be sandals else, risk of seizure.

if your hairstyle is not lowcut i.e style of any sort, the pattern is destroyed with scizors.........

what is the fuss about here?

i refuse to think it is slavery but instilling discipline. if its not ok, get another school. or dont you know that no one eats meat in babcock university, my take is "you know the rules before entry"

Re: Egypt Teacher Cuts Hair Of Schoolgirls For Not Wearing Muslim Hijab by wiegraf: 1:59pm On Oct 22, 2012
^^^
Did you read the article? Where does it imply it was part of the rules to wear the hijab? The teacher was even disciplined, the governor of the region calling her act shameful.

As for making the hijab law, other things come into play. Is egypt an islamic state? Last I checked, not yet (it probably soon will be though). Is that a public school? If it is, enforcing religious laws in a public institution in secular governments is a no-no. Do you work for the government? Nobody forces you to wear a rosary, do they?

Personal opinion: Some people there seem to be jumping the gun and imposing their morality on others already. Freedom lovers best run out as islamists will soon start trampling on their rights, and impose shariah.
Re: Egypt Teacher Cuts Hair Of Schoolgirls For Not Wearing Muslim Hijab by ghazzal: 3:14pm On Oct 22, 2012
wiegraf: ^^^
Did you read the article? Where does it imply it was part of the rules to wear the hijab? The teacher was even disciplined, the governor of the region calling her act shameful.

As for making the hijab law, other things come into play. Is egypt an islamic state? Last I checked, not yet (it probably soon will be though). Is that a public school? If it is, enforcing religious laws in a public institution in secular governments is a no-no. Do you work for the government? Nobody forces you to wear a rosary, do they?

Personal opinion: Some people there seem to be jumping the gun and imposing their morality on others already. Freedom lovers best run out as islamists will soon start trampling on their rights, and impose shariah.

i said the school regulation not egypt as a state. and i did not see a mention of the school rules in the article maybe you did.
i simply gave another line of thought instead of the stereotype one you guys give an opinion of earlier........ just being objective!!!
Re: Egypt Teacher Cuts Hair Of Schoolgirls For Not Wearing Muslim Hijab by vedaxcool(m): 3:16pm On Oct 22, 2012

A teacher in southern Egypt punished two 12-year-old schoolgirls for not wearing the Muslim headscarf by cutting their hair, the father of one girl said Wednesday, in an incident that stokes concerns over personal rights following the rise of Islamist political movements.

It also comes amid a fierce debate over how the role of religion will be defined in the country's new constitution. The preponderance of Islamists on the panel drafting the document has alarmed liberals and religious minorities.

He told The Associated Press that he filed a complaint after the Oct. 10 incident with the prosecutor's office in Luxor. He had no further comment.

The prosecutor's office declined to comment on the case. Provincial governor Ezzat Saad confirmed the teacher had been transferred for a “shameful” act but did not otherwise comment.

The teacher, Eman Abu Bakar, could not be reached. She told the Egyptian semi-official newspaper al-Ahram that the amount of hair she cut off of the girls' heads “did not exceed two centimeters” (one inch).

Abu Bakar was quoted as saying she only resorted to cutting her students' hair after warning them repeatedly to cover their heads. After these repeated warnings, a student handed her a scissors from his bag, and that he and other students asked her to “implement” her threats.

In a photo published by Al-Ahram, Abu Bakar is shown wearing the niqab, a garment that covers everything but a woman's eyes.

Most Muslim women in Egypt wear the headscarf, but increasing numbers now wear the more conservative niqab.

Ziad Abdel Tawab of the Cairo Institute for Human Rights said the incident was alarming but not surprising.

“Whether in schools or outside schools, the general sentiment is that any abusive action, if it is justified as protection of Islam, is tolerable,” he said.

Meanwhile, a Cairo court postponed proceedings in the trial of 27-year-old Coptic Christian activist Alber Saber, who faces charges of insulting religion, to November 14.

Saber was arrested last month after neighbors complained he had posted an anti-Islam film that has sparked protests across the Muslim world to his Facebook page, but investigators didn't find them. Nonetheless, Saber was put on trial and now faces a six-year prison sentence and fines.

His lawyer Ahmed Ezzat said in an emailed statement that all proceedings against Saber have involved serious legal breaches that should result in the nullifying of any evidence put forward against him.

Ezzat also said that after Saber's arrest on September 13, a police officer incited others detained in the station to attack Saber, resulting in detainees beating him and cutting him with a razor blade. A police officer at the station denied the report, speaking anonymously as he was not authorized to talk to the media.

Hassiba Hadj Sahraoui of Amnesty International said in a statement Wednesday that blasphemy cases like the one against Saber “set a dangerous precedent for the Egyptian authorities' tolerance of freedom of expression in the country.”

“Criticism of religions and other beliefs and ideas is a vital component of the right to freedom of expression,” Sahraoui said. “Laws - such as blasphemy laws - that criminalize such criticism violate human rights.”

The rights group said that Saber's lawyers “fear for his safety in prison and outside if released. They also fear for the safety of his mother and sister who have been threatened and forced to leave their home which was surrounded by angry mobs. “

http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2012/10/17/244366.html

The fact that Op clearly pointed out that the teacher was transferred and now we see that the father of the girl has filed a complaint against the teacher. I remember reading that an America teacher was fined for collecting bribe from student in form of bathing soup in place of them failing to do their assignment or something, we duid not see these pedicant jubilating secular society is peaceful (where off course teachers are often charged with raping their students) my point, Human failure should be distinguished clearly from Religion, or a system for that matter. Every Society tries its best in correcting itself when a member abuses the law so making gleeful comments about an incident that showed poor judgement on the teacher's part is a reflection of the Spiritual poverty such persons suffer from!
Re: Egypt Teacher Cuts Hair Of Schoolgirls For Not Wearing Muslim Hijab by vedaxcool(m): 3:20pm On Oct 22, 2012
Now Lets see the context the whole incident occurred in:

CAIRO — An Egyptian teacher who wears a niqab, or full face veil, has been sanctioned after cutting the hair of two girls in her class for not wearing a head veil, press reports said on Thursday.

Residents of the southern city of Luxor "were angered after the teacher in a niqab cut the hair of two sixth-form students to oblige them to wear the veil," independent daily Al-Shuruk reported.

Another daily, Al-Masry al-Youm, quoted the woman as saying: "I did not imagine that cutting off two centimetres (of hair) was a great crime.

"I was joking with them when one of the students got out some scissors and asked me to carry out my threat. I did it to maintain my authority."

The father of one of the girls filed a formal complaint against the teacher, who said she has been wearing the niqab for five years and who was sanctioned with the loss of a month's salary.

Most Muslim women in Egypt cover their hair, but the full face veil is associated with the ultra-conservative Salafist school of thought.

Ironically, Egypt's Al-Azhar University, the most prestigious centre of religious learning in the Sunni Muslim world, banned the face veil from its female-only classrooms and residences in 2009.

Since the election this year of President Mohamed Morsi, who comes from the Muslim Brotherhood, there have been fears among more liberal Egyptians that the influence in the public sphere of Muslim fundamentalists will grow.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gWYpVj_EZahuDSYMpwycBt0RqznA?docId=CNG.186de489c78c63e4aa403bb992b9112f.6a1

I wonder why the OP web page isn't going thru. Like I said, the Teacher simply made BAD judgement on the issue. Keep up the good work mocking Islam. Allah guides people thru such acts.
Re: Egypt Teacher Cuts Hair Of Schoolgirls For Not Wearing Muslim Hijab by wiegraf: 5:06pm On Oct 22, 2012
ghazzal:

i said the school regulation not egypt as a state. and i did not see a mention of the school rules in the article maybe you did.
i simply gave another line of thought instead of the stereotype one you guys give an opinion of earlier........ just being objective!!!

That's not being objective, that's more like examining all the options. And I did explore that option, frankly anyone with half a brain would, but did not think it worth mentioning probably because it is fairly obvious the children did not break regulation. The teacher wouldn't have been reprimanded and punished if she didn't break some law, yes? Also, If the school is public then it is part of the state.

That said @vedax is (unbelievably to me) correct about this, the law isn't the problem here, she is. However, egypt is not yet an islamic state (or a fully implemented one), so he's point is a bit moot if his aim is to defend islamic law. The credit due (from a non-islamic perspective) would be to the secular bits of egyptian law, not the islamic bits. Islamic law is not particularly known to treat women equally, they can't vote or even drive in saudi for instance.

Most of the hoopla here has to do with the fact that egypt looks to be becoming a full islamic state, thereby limiting the rights of many. Some people are anticipating this and already asserting their morals on other people, like this teacher. Imo, those who want a secular or liberal system which respects individual freedoms will have to move soon
Re: Egypt Teacher Cuts Hair Of Schoolgirls For Not Wearing Muslim Hijab by vedaxcool(m): 6:42pm On Oct 22, 2012
Atheism breeds the greatest hordes of liars indeed!

Afterall logic boy said it is a bannable offense repeating what has been refuted.

Anyway, graf t muslim women in Egypt drive cars so how the situation in Saudi became transferable to Egypt indicts the very faulty logic we all come to recognize as being the very essence of Atheism. Now muslim women in Egypt can vote how the issue of Saudi became transposed again shows us that for man who does not Know whether God exist or not you can hardly be taken serious. The woman acted on her own volition yet you insist that it shows a resurgence of Islam in Egypt, smh what sort of sense do you live by? Is it the sort that makes it possible for the entire universe to pop out of nothing?

These atheists are adherent of forced atheism where you must simply accept their ideals as being the best. For starters Egypt being secular was not agreed upon by the majority so making case that Egypt is drifting towards Islam is more like crying more than the bereaved. The Egyptian state is still trying to find its feets and that is why there are elements of lawlessness. The concept of secularity is more of a Christian thing to wade off the church because the church actually dictated to the state in Islam the Mosque does not tell the state anything, scholars during the period b4 now did not dictate to the state. In fact Iran seem to be the lastest "Islamic". Model that clergy men seem to weild immense power yet to confound your deep ignorance women enjoy just as many rights women in other parts of the world enjoy. So what really is the problem? That should be how common sense 101 should actually prevail in the cesspit of atheism in addressing matters. But alass these are men brain washed indeed.
Re: Egypt Teacher Cuts Hair Of Schoolgirls For Not Wearing Muslim Hijab by wiegraf: 7:11pm On Oct 22, 2012
@vedax, back to your usual rabid incoherent self. When did this become about atheism? I might change my mind if many accept your view, well the relevant bits of your wharrgarbl, then I will reply it. Relying just for your sake would be a waste of time, I might as well spend my time trying to jump over the moon
Re: Egypt Teacher Cuts Hair Of Schoolgirls For Not Wearing Muslim Hijab by vedaxcool(m): 7:39pm On Oct 22, 2012
^

grin grin grin Run away Mr. I don't know, and do. Watch your manners unlike the religion section where thuggery reigns we prefer decent, honest and sensible discussion, hall marks of Islam no doubt. And you welcome, we give these free of charge! I personally don not consider you someone worthy of my time debating, that is why I debunked atheism, the gay religion, so easily by always showing the queer logic of its adherents! And good luck jumping over the moon, we see how "smart" this atheist are in venturing into wasteful venture. Alhamdulilah, I would rather spend time jumping on my prayer mat! grin grin
Re: Egypt Teacher Cuts Hair Of Schoolgirls For Not Wearing Muslim Hijab by vedaxcool(m): 7:44pm On Oct 22, 2012
And what rights did atheism give women?

Ans

NADA - Nothing indeed

What an empty headed disbelief indeed!
Re: Egypt Teacher Cuts Hair Of Schoolgirls For Not Wearing Muslim Hijab by wiegraf: 7:50pm On Oct 22, 2012
Dum di di dum di da
Re: Egypt Teacher Cuts Hair Of Schoolgirls For Not Wearing Muslim Hijab by vedaxcool(m): 8:04pm On Oct 22, 2012
Wow the rhythm of atheism the gay religion.

grin grin grin grin
Re: Egypt Teacher Cuts Hair Of Schoolgirls For Not Wearing Muslim Hijab by vedaxcool(m): 7:25am On Oct 23, 2012
Mac, I dey hail, the fact that an atheist we all know to hurl insult whenever he has been thoroughly refuted has preferred singing all because you made law and order the key thing in this section. I say kudos, you are really reforming manners here!
Re: Egypt Teacher Cuts Hair Of Schoolgirls For Not Wearing Muslim Hijab by ParisLove1: 6:45pm On Mar 05, 2013
In their world
Re: Egypt Teacher Cuts Hair Of Schoolgirls For Not Wearing Muslim Hijab by vedaxcool(m): 7:10pm On Mar 05, 2013
Thread thoroughly debunked! grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Swiss Politician Accepts Islam / Happy Eid Kabir To All Muslims. Drop Your Wishes / What To Do On The Day Of Eid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.