Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,768 members, 7,809,960 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:53 PM

Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? (13311 Views)

The Black Man: Unchained Libido And Its Wake Of Destruction. / This Is Rap Culture,mode 9 Featuring Double Six / Proper Greeting For Black American Meeting Boyfriend's Nigerian Mother (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by kikuyu1(m): 8:11am On Oct 20, 2012
Honestly I've never been a fan. I think its juvenile at best and tedious. How many times can a thug mumble about bling and killing,c'mon!However,I've been directed to Prof.Griff's videos explaining how its stars are knowingly being used to spread negativity and subtle messages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOkosdfmIRE&feature=related
Particularly to those US based nairalanders,do you agree with the basic contention? Personally I do.

1 Like

Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by birdman(m): 11:30pm On Oct 20, 2012
I agree with the basic contention - hip hop culture bieng marketed by the big labels is a poison pill for black youth. As much as I respect prof. griff's insider views though, I am always wary when he starts to get conspiratorial, weaving in illuminati and the like. I think it adds more confusion to his message than it helps.
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by kikuyu1(m): 1:27pm On Oct 21, 2012
birdman: I agree with the basic contention - hip hop culture bieng marketed by the big labels is a poison pill for black youth. As much as I respect prof. griff's insider views though, I am always wary when he starts to get conspiratorial, weaving in illuminati and the like. I think it adds more confusion to his message than it helps.
At first I thought like you,but I concluded its a deliberate program simply because of all the time & energy that goes into all this music. Its too detailed to be random. For me,IDK whether the elites behind are actually Illuminati.
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by birdman(m): 10:14pm On Oct 21, 2012
kikuyu1:
At first I thought like you,but I concluded its a deliberate program simply because of all the time & energy that goes into all this music. Its too detailed to be random. For me,IDK whether the elites behind are actually Illuminati.

Dont get me wrong, I know for sure it is deliberate. But credibility is important if you want to convince others and just like you said, there is no way to really know who is behind what. It is not very hard to plant evidence that leads you down the wrong trail and makes you look crazy in the end
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by Nobody: 6:05am On Oct 22, 2012
Some rap music.
And even then, the lyrics are NOT the blue print of our failures
but a reflection. Our problems are much deeper and older than rap music.

8 Likes

Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by Mynd44: 6:11am On Oct 22, 2012
It is true that a lot of rap lyrics are actually crap and a lot of rappers are shallow but that does not take the acts that rap is poetic. Forget the "money, hos and rims" rap and listen to a rappers who has dept and insight and you would love the genre permanently

7 Likes

Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by kikuyu1(m): 12:58pm On Oct 22, 2012
Mynd_44: It is true that a lot of rap lyrics are actually crap and a lot of rappers are shallow but that does not take the acts that rap is poetic. Forget the "money, hos and rims" rap and listen to a rappers who has dept and insight and you would love the genre permanently
True,but those who control the industry obviously push the foolishness of the lil Jons/Lil Waynes/Gucci Manes over positive publicly conscious type music like Public Enemy. Look at the sales of the few genuine politically active rapppers left and those of fools like the above.
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by Mynd44: 1:16pm On Oct 22, 2012
True but music albums don't sell themselves. The truth is that people will buy what they want.

1 Like

Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by IYuckMoufI: 9:14pm On Oct 22, 2012
Rap does not breed the Ignorance,The Ignorance Breeds the Rap

Hip Hop could have been a useful political tool, Till the Ignorant Crack Baby Generation came along and Fuccked it all Up.

4 Likes

Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by birdman(m): 4:06am On Oct 23, 2012
*Kails*:
Some rap music.
And even then, the lyrics are NOT the blue print of our failures
but a reflection. Our problems are much deeper and older than rap music.

They used to be just a reflection. But now, its actually influencing youth who are the future. Look at Chicago for example, and the rise of the likes of Chief Keef.

1 Like

Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by kikuyu1(m): 6:48am On Oct 23, 2012
IMO,hip hop today is an important part of a process of brainwashing called predictive programming.
Predictive programming is a subtle conditioning that unconsciously changes the targets mind. Unlike trauma based brainwashing which the subject resists this form of conditioning is often more successful
Once blacks are conditioned to negativity then they're lost for good. Don't forget he so-called drug war and its effect on black America.
There are 2 theories,not unconnected and may be in fact mutually reinforcing . The first is that black music was a means for the World Rapers who control the US government to negatively influence and sabotage black American culture.
http://karanjazplace..com/2012/09/is-crap-part-of-predictive-program.html
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by Nobody: 9:11am On Oct 23, 2012
birdman:

They used to be just a reflection. But now, its actually influencing youth who are the future. Look at Chicago for example, and the rise of the likes of Chief Keef.

It still is just a reflection. All the likes of chief keef show is that somewhere there are still parents who fail miserably to abide by their obligations: PROPERLY RAISING THE CHILD.

So anytime he or anyone like him rap about/ promoting negativity or get into legal trouble tongue (cough)...one must not blame the genre.

He and others like him, had issues prior to rapping. Rap is like a verbal diary entry. Even some of the most hardcore artists will have a song about suffering in their CHILDHOOD (parent/s on drugs, no supervision, no hope; etc)...again indicating issues beyond rap.

Im not saying some of our rotten apples havent further spoiled many more in the orchid using rap, but if each apple was properly maintained and acounted for by their overseers (parents/ guardians) it would be a different story...

Anyway back to bed i go.

2 Likes

Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by MrsChima(f): 2:45pm On Oct 23, 2012
Coming up....old school rappers spoke about conditions in their environments and how can those in similar environments can overcome the hurdles and many raps music were pleasant....UNTIL people only bought music that brags about sex, hoes, money, cars, and criminal acts.

It is funny that many of those rappers today aren't even living that life style but if it sells...it is business. I don't listen to those type neither does my husband...we are into something that many people aren't even aware nor understand.

It was funny when I met one of Chima's cousins and he asked me if I had some rap music....and I looked at him with a raised eyebrow. He was like oooh my bad! Yeah, your bad!

When I played some of the music I listen to...he was all discombobulated! grin grin grin grin grin grin It goes to show not everybody in America or Africa listen to the same shit.

1 Like

Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by Abagworo(m): 7:14pm On Oct 23, 2012
If that 17 year old boy known as Chief Keef goes to jail, then its victory for our kids. They'll know that bad people go to jail.
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by Nobody: 9:46pm On Oct 23, 2012
Today's rap - YES!!

The essence of hiphop itself without the Jews hijacking it - NO!!
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by birdman(m): 5:28am On Oct 25, 2012
*Kails*:

It still is just a reflection. All the likes of chief keef show is that somewhere there are still parents who fail miserably to abide by their obligations: PROPERLY RAISING THE CHILD.

So anytime he or anyone like him rap about/ promoting negativity or get into legal trouble tongue (cough)...one must not blame the genre.

He and others like him, had issues prior to rapping. Rap is like a verbal diary entry. Even some of the most hardcore artists will have a song about suffering in their CHILDHOOD (parent/s on drugs, no supervision, no hope; etc)...again indicating issues beyond rap.

Im not saying some of our rotten apples havent further spoiled many more in the orchid using rap, but if each apple was properly maintained and acounted for by their overseers (parents/ guardians) it would be a different story...

Anyway back to bed i go.

I hear you, but its not that simple. Didn't we just lose a dear nairalander in some chicago 'burb sometime back? A well brought up kid by all accounts - yet other people's badly brought up kids had an involuntary influence on his life. We shouldnt hand wave stuff like this away.
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by kikuyu1(m): 8:12am On Oct 25, 2012
birdman:

I hear you, but its not that simple. Didn't we just lose a dear nairalander in some chicago 'burb sometime back? A well brought up kid by all accounts - yet other people's badly brought up kids had an involuntary influence on his life. We shouldnt hand wave stuff like this away.
Therein lies the rub. If we wave a hand and say 'boys will be boys,' this is the obvious result. The opportunity cost of this destructive social reengineering media is too much for black people to bear. I don't expect the 'usual leaders,'the Jacksons or Sharptons to have anything meaningful to say. Therefore its incumbent on us as individuals to play our role;though we can only do so much.
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by PhysicsQED(m): 10:10am On Oct 25, 2012
kikuyu1: Honestly I've never been a fan. I think its juvenile at best and tedious. How many times can a thug mumble about bling and killing,c'mon!However,I've been directed to Prof.Griff's videos explaining how its stars are knowingly being used to spread negativity and subtle messages.

Particularly to those US based nairalanders,do you agree with the basic contention? Personally I do.

Get a drink, pull up a chair, listen to "Good kid, maad city" for about an an hour, stare off into space, think about life, and just mellow out for a little bit. . .you might start to appreciate/enjoy these tedious rappers and some of their juvenile stuff a little more. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpugK0RpEaU&feature=related

I don't think every rap song has to be like "Follow the Leader" (Rakim), "Ordo Abchao," (Ras Kass) "Thieves In The Night" (Black Star) or "Four Women" (Reflection Eternal) etc. In fact, if all rap was like that, it might be a bad thing or be too boring and a lot of great sounding tracks about less serious stuff or great sounding "bragging" songs wouldn't have been made. Sometimes, actually maybe a lot of the time, people just want to hear music that's entertaining (that they can relax or party to or just enjoy for its sound) or engaging without hearing political and social speeches underneath or on the surface of every song at the expense of enjoying the song. The truth is that what makes music great isn't usually what is being said or sung or rapped (although that can help) because no message or speech, no matter how great and informative or enlightening, can make a shitty song with a shitty melody, beat, etc. or shitty singing and/or rapping, sound good. The main thing is how good the music actually sounds. For example, Lupe Fiasco put out a song called "B1tch Bad" recently (which also touches on the apparent negative effects of some rap music), and as much as I like his music, I think that song is one of many "conscious" songs from rappers that you can only listen to a few times in a short time frame before you're sick of it - you've absorbed the message, but the music itself (rapping and the beat and the hook) doesn't sound that great or amazing, so after you quickly get tired of it, you have to wait a long time to "rediscover" it again months or years later when you can tolerate it, and then you can start to appreciate it again.

Even if the message is there and the thought provoking commentary is there, when the actual sound of the music is only average at best or is just bad, people aren't going to listen to it for long before moving on...They might hear it once or twice and say "that's interesting" but they aren't going to buy that album or watch a whole concert of that material when they could just go pick up a book somewhere if they are so serious about getting knowledge and enlightenment. Historically, music has been used in protests, mourning, to express self-pity, to get the attention of the opposite sex, to rally a group, and for important celebrations, but I doubt it has much functional significance beyond those things - you don't use it as a teaching tool, you enjoy it. That's the main thing - if the music doesn't meet that one basic requirement of just sounding good and being very enjoyable sound-wise, it's not going to be listened to for long, and even if a song is ignorant and juvenile it's still going to be listened to for a long time and/or get a lot of attention and following if it sounds good and provides the necessary enjoyment. Music is meant to be felt, not studied like a textbook.

On the other hand, the same rapper (Lupe Fiasco) has another song, "Gold Watch," that's much less serious, and, if you like, is a "tedious" repetition of materialism and talk about bling and stereotypical stuff, but I can replay that song all the time, almost anytime, because the actual sound (quality, not content) of the song is great and addictive. And of course, he does have other songs that have progressive messages (good content) and also actually sound great, like "Hurt Me Soul" or "Around My Way" and "Lamborghini Angels." But the point is, it's about the sound more than it is about the content. If the public - or the people in the music industry themselves - want the industry to go conscious/progressive/positive, then all the conscious musicians, rappers, singers, etc. have to somehow make much better sounding music than the artists that don't care one way or another about the message but only care about the money.

2 Likes

Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by PBundles(m): 12:57pm On Oct 25, 2012
The true essence of rap as it was intended, was meant to be poetic spiritual and even self upliffting. In the 60s it was known as spoken word. But in came business and the man saw it awas a way of making money. I remember back in the 80s they were saying it was a fad and would go away and woul NEVER lead the sales, fast forward and its the leading sales leader.
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by Nobody: 1:07pm On Oct 25, 2012
I KEEP HEARING ABOUT HOW BAD CHIEF KEEF IS. LISTENED TO TWO OF HIS SONGS. PRETTY HARMLESS TEENAGE NONSENSE. WHY IS THE FOCUS ON HIM ? IS HE A KILLER OR SOMETHING ? I KNOW MANY RAPPERS WHO WERE CRAZIER THAN CHIEF KEEF, TUPAC AND EAZY E FOR EXAMPLE. AM I MISSING SOMETHING ? EVEN LUPE SAID HE IS SCARED OF HIM. IS IT ALL A PROMOTIONAL DRIVE ? OR IS HE SOME COLD KILLER ?

ANYWAY AS PER RAP, WE ARE IN THE LAST DAYS AND THE DEVIL KNOWS HE HAS BUT A LITTLE TIME SO HE HAS HIJACKED RAP AND OTHER FORMS OF ENTERTAINMENT. ENTERTAINMENT AS A WHOLE BELONGS TO DEVIL NOW

1 Like

Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by ezotik: 1:07pm On Oct 25, 2012
PBundles: I remember back in the 80s they were saying it was a fad and would go away and woul NEVER lead the sales, fast forward and its the leading sales leader.

and niggas are cashing out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9mfuifkZgc
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by polokor60(m): 1:12pm On Oct 25, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
Coming up....old school rappers spoke about conditions in their environments and how can those in similar environments can overcome the hurdles and many raps music were pleasant....UNTIL people only bought music that brags about sex, hoes, money, cars, and criminal acts.

It is funny that many of those rappers today aren't even living that life style but if it sells...it is business. I don't listen to those type neither does my husband...we are into something that many people aren't even aware nor understand.

It was funny when I met one of Chima's cousins and he asked me if I had some rap music....and I looked at him with a raised eyebrow. He was like oooh my bad! Yeah, your bad!

When I played some of the music I listen to...he was all discombobulated! grin grin grin grin grin grin It goes to show not everybody in America or Africa listen to the same shit.
well said,today's rap is all about business.
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by cold(m): 1:25pm On Oct 25, 2012
This looks like a topic for Cap28.For those whining about rap music, ya'll need to listen to Ice Cube's 'Gangsta Rap made me do it'.As an indisputably black musical invention, rap music holds an honoured place amongst the myriad of other historically black music forms including jazz, blues, and rock ’n’ roll. Most notable is the fact that it’s the only black music form so thoroughly enjoyed in the mainstream, globally, by massive numbers of non-black music enthusiasts, and where the overwhelming group of the genre’s heroes are black.
Get over it already.Rap music is here to stay

1 Like

Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by Lordsocrates: 1:29pm On Oct 25, 2012
U become brainwashed or anyfink u say, me ah listen 2 M.i col me local, but am vry chossy, i might listen 2 B.O.B, even T.i wen he sings sense n sumfink inspirational, apart 4rm dat com bck hom and listen 2 _phenom, Vector, Boogey,Yung6ix,Gino,etc diz dudes r gud especialy at metaphors, n dey dnt sing ol doz rick ross, lilwayne and likes Money sex,drug_ i be omo naija and wil olways be
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by Lordsocrates: 1:45pm On Oct 25, 2012
Phenom_am unstopable sumtin lyk an avalanche
M.i_d tok behind ur bck, coz u standin infront of dem
pype_i am a born champion
maxino_am duoble datin fervour and grace so i no fit diss_grace(disgrace)
yung6ix_if u aint d customs then y should u border(bother) me
there r oda lines dat would spurr u up dat u can make it, so fash dat self distruct tok, u jus nid 2 censor wot u listen 2..
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by KINGwax(m): 2:04pm On Oct 25, 2012
Mynd_44: It is true that a lot of rap lyrics are actually crap and a lot of rappers are shallow but that does not take the acts that rap is poetic. Forget the "money, hos and rims" rap and listen to a rappers who has dept and insight and you would love the genre permanently
God bless my only true poet and rapper: Tupac Amaru Shakur!

1 Like

Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by Bryan12(m): 2:18pm On Oct 25, 2012
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font] Muzik moves us.not all rap tracks goes with corrupt messages.A very good example is that of NAS."i knw i can,be what i wana be,if i work hard in it,i'il where i wana be".
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by crackhaus: 2:23pm On Oct 25, 2012
I'm not a US based nairalander & I don't agree with your contention. Personally, I think rap culture has had many eras, yes there was the time when it was all violence but even then, violence can't be attributed 100% to rap only because the rappers themselves who portrayed negativity on rap songs did so from their own experiences so I can't imagine anyone who lives in a neighbourhood where crime, drugs & gangsters thrive to blame his/her actions on songs. Places like that requires one to be hardened to survive. So rap music didn't instigate black destruction but actually revealed through these rappers the situation they lived around..
kikuyu1: Honestly I've never been a fan. I think its juvenile at best and tedious. How many times can a thug mumble about bling and killing,c'mon!However,I've been directed to Prof.Griff's videos explaining how its stars are knowingly being used to spread negativity and subtle messages.

Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by DeGenius3(m): 2:28pm On Oct 25, 2012
MI reps Niaja well in Rap
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by Mynd44: 2:35pm On Oct 25, 2012
KINGwax: God bless my only true poet and rapper: Tupac Amaru Shakur!
Amen

2 Likes

Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by akigbemaru: 2:54pm On Oct 25, 2012
Rap music has come to stay is the number industry that gave black community a leverage to compete with other folks out there. Rap does not not wrong other than to exploit the forces of nature that fall between the cleavage of good and bad. Like I have long borrow from the leaf that everything in life is equal.
Jerusalem wlll talk about saint and devil and Mecca talks about saint and devil and so the rap talks about good and bad, and I think that is what make this life merrygoaround!
The idiots that made these clips just to deface rap music, are not clean anyway. If you want to be holy Muslim in America, you and I know it's a pipe dream. Every sausage you eat is made from pork, every red and some other colors wine is made from pork.
It is reasonable for any converts to go and live among the mainstream of his or her religion, which I know Saudi or Israel won't condole.
History of rap goes a long way from west Africa and it was traced to Yoruba land and present Mali, where it started as grout (which Yoruba called alagbe), grout can lampoon or praise at the slightest opportunity. Rap battle started with Yoruba warriors and hunters (ajaguna and oluigbo) with the aid of ram's horns exchanging incantations.
Arabs claim their religion is ascending, which I think it is greatly decending!
Religion comes with power and technology, which Arabs have been relegated out of the equation. The tenets of their religion is becoming antiquated, for instance, Islam wants you to pray in Moshalashi five times a day with empty stomach, that would be easy for rich folks in NIgeria or every folk in Saudi because they have large oil deposit and large tourist turnout during pilgrim. The burial arrangement of Islam is shaking its tenet, the idea
of swift and fast bury, creates some loop holes for premeditated deaths and some quirk stories of resurrection in Brazil make ones to take time before bury the love ones.
So get over it the rap music has come to stay, the extremists and new black converts to Arab religion can go to Saudi to preach, not the USA a free society! I love America till death does stop me.
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by savedbreak: 2:55pm On Oct 25, 2012

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? / Top Yoruba Gospels / Have You Ever Dated A Black-american?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.